Start by marking “Das Mars Projekt” as Want to Read:
Das Mars Projekt

Das Mars Projekt (Dream Park #2)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  1,168 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Willkommen im Traumpark!

Das riesige Phantasieland der Zukunft bietet seinen
Besuchern die ungewöhnlichsten Reisen in die
aufregendsten Traumwelten: ein gefährlicher Trip zum Mars
oder eine Tour durch ein Land voller Schnee und Eis.

Doch plötzlich geraten die Phantasiespiele des Traumparks
durcheinander. Waffen tauchen auf, die nicht auftauchen
sollten; Menschen verschwinden, di
Published August 1991 by Bastei Lübbe (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Das Mars Projekt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Mars Projekt

David
I'll come right out and say it. I'm rating Niven's and Barnes' "The Barsoom Project" at a Pretty Bad 2 stars out of 5. Where the original "Dream Park" used a clever blend of science-fiction, fantasy, mystery, and gaming to produce a good story, this book uses that same blend to produce something that reads like a ham-handed public service announcement. First, and most importantly, the theme and plot of this book revolve almost entirely around obesity: the "Barsoom Project" of the title is just a ...more
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
James
I haven't read the first book, didn't actually realize it was part of a series, so I didn't have any expectations coming in. Overall I thought the premise was interesting and hooked me, but the story didn't reel me in. I would have liked the pace to be more that of a thriller than hard sf, I think it would have fit better with the story and added some tension.
Still, what was there was enough to keep me going until I finished it. Decent read, not great but not bad either.
Booth Babcock
The original book of this series "Dreampark" is one of my all-time guilty pleasure favorites (from an author responsible for many guilty pleasures). "Dreampark" was a mystery inside of a south seas epic inside of a science fiction story, all set in the ultimate 12-year old dorky role playing gamer's fantasy of a giant high tech theme park where you could role play in elaborate adventures. The original novel came out before VR was a big deal, and so the technology is endearingly disneyesque, with ...more
Anne Kaufhold
Not as good as dream park, this book wavers between genres and eventually accomplishes neither mystery, espionage thriller, nor sci-fi. Worth reading if you enjoyed the first book and want another peek at those characters. I hear the third will be better.
***Dave Hill
The sequel to Barnes and Niven's first Dreampark novel doesn't quite live up to its predecessor. It's still fun, enjoyable, entertaining, and capable of making one sorely wish they could move into this particular SF universe so that they could play in one of the Games ...

... but the story is more scattered across multiple PoVs, and there are too many distractions and side-doings outside of the Game. The actual Game story is fun, and the Eviane subplot works pretty darned well, but the goings-on
Andreas
Consisting of:

Dream Park
The Barsoom Project
California Vodoo Game (sometimes published as “The California Vodoo Game”)

The novels are set in a theme park named “Dream Park”. Dream Park uses holograms and other methods to create completely lifelike environments for adventures. For example, one can become a group of medieval knights on a quest, and be totally immersed in the experience. The novels are very enjoyable, with some nice twists to the tale. It is also interesting to see how role playin
Steve Goble
I like the idea of this novel better than the execution. At times it reads like a fast-paced action story, then slides into a science icy ion think piece. Nothing wrong with that, but shifting about the point of view so much between characters frustrated me, as did a number of vague references to things characters knew about, but I didn't. A little of that is good, and adds to the sense of mystery. A lot of it is too much, and leaves me wondering where the plot really is. I might have enjoyed th ...more
Leo Knight
A really fun follow up to the classic "Dream Park".
Brad T.
Not nearly as good as the first.
Darth
In the follow up to Dream Park we have the continued adventures of the worlds wildest amusement park.
There isnt much adventure, and this actually reads a bit more like a mystery than a sci-fi / fantasy read.
It isnt bad, it isnt great. I read it because I read all things Niven. So if he published the LA phonebook I would be compelled to not miss out - though I might change my policy afterwards...

Chuck Childers
Not as original as Dream Park (of course not; it's the sequel, book 2 of the series), and not as over-the-top as California Voodoo Game (book 3 of the series), the book hosts - to me - a better mystery and a better adventure. It only suffers in comparison to the other books in the series. Recommended. Dream Park should definitely be read first.
oOSarahOo
A very disappointing sequel to Dream Park. I felt that there were too many distracting sub plots and characters which made the story confusing and quite boring. This sequel wasn't nearly as entertaining or enjoyable as Dream Park.
Katie
Not quite as good as Dream Park, but still enjoyable. So, if you read the first & have some extra time on your hands, you can pick up the second....aaand, I see there's a third. I'm off to see if the library has it. :)
Katie
A great combination of SF/F and mystery, I find myself wishing Dream Park was a place I could visit. Might even be better than the first book, with more threads and broader issues to follow...the plot thickens, as they say.
3.5 stars - Mystery, politics and interesting characters mesh nicely with a game players paradise to keep this book interesting.

Wetdryvac
So far, doesn't appear as tightly introduced as the first book in the series, but that may simply be because the first book was so concerned with meticulous construction of world.
Rachel Florek
This was everything - fantasy, science fiction, mystery...okay, not romance...oh wait, there was a little. It is extreme LARPing, and then some!
James Turner
Sequel to Dream Park. Not quite as good as but I love the concept. The characters are interesting, both the old and the new ones.
Tracey
I got about 50 pages in when I decided I didn't really care for the story anymore. Gamers may enjoy this more than I did.
Jan
Lite Sci-Fi with a touch of mystery or maybe mystery with lite Sci-Fi. The Hologram amusement park of the future!
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
I liked the mystery behind this, a little too much gaming fantasy stuff that is superfluous to the story.
Isblue
Dream Park sequel. Dream Park was better, but this is still an entertaining read.
AndrewP
Sequel to Dream Park - not quite as good but still very enjoyable.
Peter
Good idea - bit dated now - 1st one was better
Jonathan
Unlikely to be recommended by physicians.
Jonathan
Continuation of Dream Park series.
Doc
Not as good a Dream Park.
Keith
Sequel to "Dream Park"
  • The River of Time
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Year's Best SF
  • The Early Asimov: Book Two
  • Empire Builders (Privateers, #2)
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • Battle for the Planet of the Apes
  • The Two Faces of Tomorrow
  • The Man Who Counts
  • Saga of Old City (Greyhawk Adventures, #1)
  • Vitals
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Wheelworld (To the Stars, #2)
  • Battlestar Galactica 2: The Cylon Death Machine (Battlestar Galactica, #2)
  • Medusa: A Tiger by the Tail (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #4)
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...
Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1) Lucifer's Hammer The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2) Footfall