Start by marking “Almost Dead” as Want to Read:
Almost Dead

Almost Dead (San Francisco #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,718 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling. She's in the beginning stages of a divorce, her son is in the throes of the terrible twos, and one by one, members of her family are dying. Now Cissy is sure she's being watched. Lately she's heard footsteps when there's no one around, smelled a woman's perfume, and noticed small, personal items are missing from her house. Hidden in the ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 495 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Center Point (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Dead

Susan
Jun 17, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read many Lisa Jackson books and have liked them all. I found this book to be very long and boring. There seemed to be no plot at all and the ending was predictable. This was one book that I considered not finishing. I was glad when I finally got to the last page.
Vin9
Feb 29, 2012 Vin9 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am so annoyed by these so called "thriller writers" who disguise the book cover and plot on back cover to make the novel seem a first rate thriller whereas the novel is a harlequin romance duplicate with a few pathetic "suspense moments" thrown in.

A few dreadful things about this book-

* Heroine Cissy is a spoilt narcissistic bitch who thinks she is superior to everybody and is clearly rude to all her family members who even care to give her a time of the day.

* For the whiny heroine the only th
Sheila
Jun 03, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty involved murder mystery involving the rich and privileged in San Francisco. When the matriarch of the wealthy Cahill family is murdered in her mansion the suspicion falls on her daughter in law who recently escaped from prison. Several murders follow and things aren't always what they appear. Good story.
Rebecca
Apr 15, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
I'm not sure I will be reading anymore Lisa Jackson books as I've found the more I read them, the weaker I find them. I felt this one especially was really, really repetitive. Cissy would tell Jack to leave, he would stay, she would accept it. The next morning she would 'come to her senses', he would leave - then return the same day, and she would make weak protests and accept it. Meanwhile her family members are getting bumped off so a bit of the chapter would be about that and how Cissy was pa ...more
Sheri faulk
Mar 16, 2016 Sheri faulk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of Lisa Jackson's - but a good read.

A Woman Who Wants To Get Even . . .

The first victim is pushed to her death. The second suffers a fatal overdose. The third takes a bullet to the heart. Three down, more to go. They're people who deserve to die. People who are in the way. And when she's finished, there will be no one left. . .

Will Do Whatever It Takes For Revenge. . .

Cissy Cahill's world is unraveling fast. One by one, members of her family are dying. Cissy's certain she's be
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 Juanita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: 1CAlmost Dead 1D by Lisa Jackson. This is a great book. I recommend it to all lovers of suspense, muders, mystery, thriller and most of all REVENGE. It was a book I had a hard time putting down. The story was amazing and keep me on guard. I would think one way the story was going and it just kept changing. It was an intriguing and an exciting book to read.

The story was about a well known three generation Family. In that family there was one secret and that secret was about to be exposed.
Alasandra Alawine
Edge of your seat thriller.

The book opens with a woman in a coma, she can hear but has no way to communicate and is frantic because the doctors are discussing removing her from life support throughout the book we are never sure which of Marla's daughters is in the coma. The book then flashes back to what lead to the woman's condition.

This is a squeal to If She Only Knew. Cissy is grown up married (but separated) to Jack Holt and they have a baby B.J.. At the beginning of the book Cissy's Mother
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a big book ... there were a lot of pages. Which was fine but it didn't have to be. It could have been cut down a lot.

The writing style was okay. The story was so-so ... kind of convoluted. I didn't buy the ending ... the "whodunnit". At the end, I said "whatever". If I say too much, I'll give it away so I'll leave it at that. And I didn't really care about any of the characters except for Coco, the dog.

Would I recommend it? No.
Mahareni Sukadi
Berjam2 stlh bc buku ini,perut msh jg terasa melilit.Ntah krn blm ilang tegangnya,ntah krn emosi tlh diaduk2 tnpa ampun...I dont know.
Mrs. Jackson sukses mnggiring persepsi pmbaca k arah kiri,sdg d akhir crita trkuak klo prsepsi pmbca hrsnya k arah knan.Bnr2 sukses bkin gw trkecoh bangeeet,smp was2.
Stlh bc endingnya...legaaaa.Meski gw msh agak bngung dg motif trjadinya all that crime,tetep deh gw ksih 5.
Alexis
Jan 16, 2012 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. this book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Literally until the Epilogue. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a book. Just when you think you have bits and pieces figured out it throws you for a loop & then you're like "oh for sure I understand it all now..." NOPE. Definitely recommend if you enjoy Murder Mysteries. Cannot wait to start my next book by this author.
Mirella Grace
Ceritanya tidak seseru buku pertama tentang Marla Cahill. Tapi terus terang saja, cerita tentang Jack Holt bener bener bikin saya penasaran. Seganteng apa sih doi...

Anyway anyhow, another good book from Lisa Jackson. jadi nyadar juga kalo di luar sono mungkin aja ada orang yang psycho seperti Deidre Lawson...
Adreanna
Jun 11, 2012 Adreanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even finish this book, sadly. I love Lisa Jackson but this book was so dull. it seemed like the only thing going on was one character complaining about her ex husband. then another character complaining about never leaving the house. someone dies and there is MORE complaining. couldn't finish it
Danielle Gerhart
This book was very good, it caught my attention at the very beginning. I was very confused because of the little parts of the girl in the hospital. At first I didn't know who she was, And when I realized who she was. I was shocked to the bone.
Hakan Kin
Apr 09, 2016 Hakan Kin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, as a very sceptical reader, I always give some blank credits to the writer whom I just met with. As a matter of fact this book was just suggested by a friend and I was keep delaying it since my expectations were low. But, with the magnificent plot twists like sucker punches to the reader and clues that were planted carefully; builds the main structure of this page turner piece. Since there is not a grading system over 9/10, the rating goes straight to 5 starts which I think truly deserv ...more
Judith
Aug 19, 2011 Judith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was wanting to read a suspense-thriller type of book and I believe Lisa Jackson is good at this. So I picked up this book from Pick a Book in Robinson's Forum where they sell books at low prices. I bought the book for P50.00 and it's as good as new too - a good find.
Almost Dead evolves around Cissy Cahill Holt who is heir to the Cahill fortune after her grandmother, Eugenia Cahill was pushed to death in the Cahill mansion. Cissy's mom, Marla, who was locked in prison, escaped with the help of
NancyMagaly
Mar 29, 2014 NancyMagaly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish, this book had me on edge. I thought I knew what was happening, but was thrown for a loop each and every time. Rarely has a book had me as enthralled and second guessing myself as this one did. Cissy, a wealthy heiress who stood to inherit millions, never came across as the spoiled brat others thought she was. Jack, her sexy and handsome husband had me rooting for him since the beginning. If anyone is looking for a quick read that tries your hand at detective work, look no f ...more
Crissy
Jul 24, 2014 Crissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting plot twists. The author likes comas as the first book in this series deals with a coma a plot line as well. the main character Cissy isn't very well developed and is rather unbelievable. She's got people who she reportable cares for dropping like flies around her and seems rather cold about it. Could have been better but it was an easy read.
Joanne
Apr 19, 2016 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is killing members of Cissy's family one by one. She has recently kicked her husband out of the house for cheating and she is alone with her little boy BJ and she is certain that she is being watched. Will Cissy or her son be next or can the police catch the killer before striking again?
Lisa
Nov 13, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested :]
This is the book I just finished. It is about a murderous woman who's set off to kill every member of the Cahill family. Cissy Cahill just realized her grandmother was pushed to her death. Fearing for her family's safety, she begins to trust her soon-to-be ex-husband again. Sure enough, the killer strucks again. This time it was Marla's, Cissy's mother and an escaped prisoner, brother who's life is sacrificed. A heavy overdose it was said. Rory Amhurst died of anaphylactic shock. Cissy is now d ...more
Norma Pageau
Apr 11, 2015 Norma Pageau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have never liked scary books, but this one had me on the edge of my seat. I've read so many mysteries that I can usually solve the murder well before the end of the book. I could not even begin to guess with this book! Well plotted, great characterization. Do not read at night!
Vanessa
The end with it's nice twist and surprising villain bumped this book up from 2 stars to 3.

The characters were ok, but not memorable. The inclusion of a character on life support was slightly odd to me, since the character was, according to the doctors, in a brain-dead state and yet their brain was active and pleading for anyone to notice it was so. Was the author trying to intimate something here about coma - brain dead patients being alive even when all outward appearances show they are not? I
Sharon
Apr 13, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars ... a continuation of If She Only Knew, this one picks up the pace and threw in a surprise (what?!! really?!!) that caught me off guard. I had to keep listening to find out if it was true or just a monkey wrench. Much better than the first book.
Anna Mcfadden
Dec 06, 2015 Anna Mcfadden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have 3 murders 1 falls to her death, 2nd poison, 3rd shot in the heart at close point. The only thing the have in common is the all related to Cissy Cahill. McCaskill. hidden in the past the family has a huge secert and Cissy has to find it before she and her family is killed
Alannah Davis
Aug 24, 2015 Alannah Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cissy Cahill Holt isn't the most likable of characters, but she is believable. And the storytelling around her is almost flawless. This isn't the type of book I normally read, but I absolutely could not put it down. I definitely want to read more by Lisa Jackson.
Debbie
Apr 14, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The story was good. The main character was a bit whiny. I liked that it used some of the same characters that had appeared in one of her other books. I have now read 3 of Jackson's books. They are good for a fast vacation read.
Jennifer (INnerSANITY)
I really really liked this book!! I love how Lisa Jackson really has you get to know the characters and get a visual image of everything.. I know a lot of people think she rambles on and makes the books too long.. But I quite like all the descriptiveness..
This book had me shouting at the plot twists.. Throwing me for loops and making me second guess who I thought was behind the killings.. And I loved it all!!! Yep.. I'll be sad when I'm done reading all of my books by Lisa Jackson.. I've got th
Ed Scott
Apr 21, 2015 Ed Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, sequel to If She Only Knew. Continues the story from 10 years after the first one ended. More than a few plot twists, so be sure you have quiet time when reading.
Anne Fletcher-jones
Another great book

Another really exciting book from Lisa Jackson. Well written with great characters, lots of action and a satisfying ending. Highly recommended.
Mandy anderson
Apr 30, 2015 Mandy anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lisa jacksons books are violent this one is no different but boy does she keep you on your toes and guessing fabulous twists and turns
Karen
May 06, 2015 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this one out but then I went back and read my review of book #1 and decided not to bother with it.
  • The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • And Then You Die
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Street #3)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake, #2)
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver. She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a nationa

More about Lisa Jackson...

San Francisco (2 books)
  • If She Only Knew (San Francisco #1)