Start by marking “One Dragon's Dream” as Want to Read:
One Dragon's Dream

One Dragon's Dream

The reader can count items from 1 to 10 included in dragon's dream.
Published by Bradbury Press (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about One Dragon's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dragon's Dream

Traveller
Sep 30, 2015 Traveller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children

Marvelous! Even if you're not a children, this is sure to delight. If you do have a child, introduce them to the lure of books (and slyly to number systems and counting) with this cleverly, intricately illustrated book with which you and the child can spend time together spotting and counting.

Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book won the Children's Book Council of Australia Picture Book of the Year in 1980. Frankly that was before Graeme Base came along and blew out of the water this rather paltry effort at creating intricate illustrations to match an alphabet or counting book.

The book starts in "the real world" were a Dragon goes to bed with a cat and a rather large cutlass... then the "way-out-there" fantasy dream starts... So I dislike the premise and set-up of the book. The dream sequence was more an actual
Jan
Oct 29, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
Spare prose contrasts with intricate, detailed, 2-page spreads of pen and watercolor illustrations. One gargoyle-ish dragon falls asleep, and dreams of 2 turkeys, 3 tigers, 4 frogs, 5 kangaroos, and so forth. But the pictures do not just show those particular animals; they include dozens of other things with the same count. Besides the three tigers, there are three trees, padlocks, snakes, ladybugs, coins, outhouses, needles, matches, nests, pears, ants, keys, gravestones, and a dozen more ...more
Karen
Feb 10, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library today. He was on a counting book kick.

Meh. The artwork is interesting and the story is weird, and yet this book doesn't quite work. Maybe because so many other books have come along since 1980 that do this concept better. Or maybe because Australians have a strange sense of humor, like my sixth-grade teacher. Either way, not a book I need to buy. Or even check out again.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars, but I round up.
Linda
Intricate, beautiful illustrations that are worth taking the time to explore. The Australian author/illustrator has included so many Australian animals and imagery that many international readers will wonder at the mysterious references. (although everyone should get to know the numbats - they are rather adorable!)

Recommend for a child who likes detail and discovery of something new every read.
Molly
Jun 28, 2010 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Ostensibly this is a book about counting 1-10. However, the wealth of detail in the illustrations and the unique word choices (seized, cranky, stern, smuggled, nimble, etc.) make it a great option for promoting the Early Lit skills of Vocabulary and Narrative skills.
Angela Alcorn
This is a beautiful book, but it's best kept until kids can make sense of the pictures and really appreciate them.
Chris
Jun 14, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Well, he's my uncle so I'm bias, but I grew up with this book and it still has a very special place in my heart.
Voracious_reader
Oct 24, 2014 Voracious_reader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compelling drawings. Lacking verse. I think I need to pick this one up with our daughter at a later date.
Troy Gregory
Troy Gregory rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Aquaphobic Mermaid
Aquaphobic Mermaid rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2010
Geni
Geni rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Tony Fidanza
Tony Fidanza rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Laura Morrigan
Laura Morrigan rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
lucy by the sea
lucy by the sea rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2012
Mollie B
Mollie B rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was ok
May 21, 2015
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2011
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2011
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2016
Brandielle
Feb 04, 2015 Brandielle rated it liked it
Shelves: math
Interesting art and lots of things to count.
Zxyu00
Zxyu00 rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Jun 30, 2015
Garren
Aug 01, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Art worth a few re-looks!
Australian children's book author and illustrator.
More about Peter Pavey...