Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:
Matilda

Matilda

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  412,961 Ratings  ·  9,038 Reviews
Classic children's tale by the author of "James and the Giant Peach." Who put Superglue in Dad's hat? Was it really a ghost that made Mom tear out of the house? Matilda is a genius with idiot parents--and she's having a great time driving them crazy. But at school things are different. At school there's Miss Trunchbull, two hundred menacing pounds of kid-hating headmistres ...more
Published September 1996 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.

Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)
Amber Actually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local…moreActually you can't read books on good read just reviewing and rating and answering questions. But if you want to read a book for free go to the local library(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Nov 11, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book was so great! I do enjoy the movie a bit more, but nevertheless this will always be a favorite of mine. I also really want to re-read some more Roald Dahl books now!
Darth J
Nov 04, 2014 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the rea
Grace Tjan
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What i
Shayantani Das
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Jason Koivu
Sep 02, 2015 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fiction, fantasy
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
Mariel
Nov 06, 2010 Mariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
Mario
May 23, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
Joca
Mar 28, 2016 Joca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O filme fez parte da minha infância e só depois percebi que era baseado neste livro!

Para quem não sabe é sobre uma menina muito inteligente que aprende a ler sozinha. Os pais não apoiam este seu amor por livros, preferem muito mais a televisão. O pior é que acabam mesmo por negligenciar a filha que encontra o apoio que precisa numa professora.

É um livro repleto de aventuras, não aventuras cheias de magia e criaturas estranhas mas aventuras do dia a dia de uma menina na escola, em casa e na bibl
Saoirse Sterling
Read as part of the #InfiniteVariety2016 Reading Challenge based on the BBC's Big Read poll.

I have extraordinarily fond memories of the film adaptation of this book to the point that I feel slightly guilty for loving the book more. I never read this book back then: I don't think the concept of "read the book if you liked the film" really ever occurred to me when I was younger. As a result, I knew the story but I hadn't-or didn't want to-read the book.

But now what we need to do is remove the film
Sarah Churchill
What's not to love about Matilda? Child genius who loves reading and learning, Terrible (verbally abusive) parents and an all kinds of abusive Headmistress. It sounds like it's going to be dismal, and it is sad - I really, really felt for little Matilda - but her attitude and outlook on life are fantastic and inspirational. And like all Dahl books, the nasty characters get their comeuppance. Love, love, love this book even more than I remembered.
Stephanie
Dec 13, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, I loved Matilda ! This was my first time reading the story that makes so many list of "must read" that I wanted to understand what all of the fuss was about. Well now I do!!!

Roald Dahl weaves a compelling and creative tale that keeps the reader interested from start to finish! This book is charming, clever, and funny ... with a bit of sadness mixed in.

The characters are vividly developed:

From the Good ...

* Matilda, the child prodigy, who taught herself to read and has morals (not sure whe
Brian
Jan 11, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to write about how great this book is, but I think my 8-year old daughter does a much better review. She read the book aloud to my wife and me on our long road trip this week.

The non sequitur moment in her review brought to you by Spice, the howling cat.

Oh, and yes - Spoilers abound.
Duda Klein
Nov 17, 2015 Duda Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to watch this movie when I was a kid and I honestly don't know why it took me so much to read the book.. I really loved the irony about the sexism coming for her mother and father, it was clearly a critic.
I only had two issues with this book:
- The way every five year old child speak and think like an adult;
- The end

The end was really fast and I think it could be more worked on...

Besides that, it's a really great book and a fast read.
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 14, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Dante
This is my third book by Roald Dahi (1916-1990). I did not plan to read this because I’ve already read his more famous (earlier) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) and his boyhood memoir, Boy: Tales of Childhood (1984) which are both included in the 501 Must Read Books that I am trying to read completely. However, the Filipinos group here in Goodreads selected this book as its bestseller read for this month, September 2011 so I had to buy and read this one too.

This book's main protagonist,
Heron
Jul 25, 2007 Heron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Roald Dahl, you make my life complete. Matilda is one of those books for me. One of the books in my bookshelf, tattered and worn, pages falling out, that I will always go back to, no matter what the occasion. Dear, darling Miss Honey, Matilda's first grade teacher, is ever child's dream, and now that I'm older, every adult's dream as well. Miss Honey lives in a two room cottage with no running water, a camp stove, and wooden boxes for seats. She eats margarine instead of butter! Would that w ...more
pinkpinkpink (teaching my cat how to read)
I remember reading Matilda as a child... and back then I had a lot of questions:
How did Matilda learn to add very large numbers?
Why can't I add large numbers like Matilda?
Is it really ok to get back at your parents when you think they did something wrong?
Are there really people like "The Trunchball"?
Can I have superpowers like Matilda?
Why am I not allowed to go to the library by myself when Matilda can clearly manage by herself?
And lastly,Can adults really be that clueless and stupid?

But reading
Anne
Matilda, little as she is, is an inspiration

Matilda is an exceptional girl, ridiculously brilliant, a voracious reader, and self-sufficient even at the early age of four years...and three months. The story? She's born into a horrible and negligent family too disdainful to see her worth.

I did enjoy this book, but I was a little unimpressed by it. Maybe it's because I've already watched the movie, and it was a good movie honestly. The pranks carried out by Matilda
were quite humorous in written
Lou
This was a fun read, even though the movie Matilda is heavily engraved in my mind and there was no real surprises when reading it. It was fun even though the young lad I was reading it with kept falling asleep two pages in, and I felt to finish in one night.
This story could be used as a manual to parents on how to NOT raise your kids and to all the Trunchbottoms, on how to Not teach children.
All the Trunchbottoms watch out their next pupil might just be like Matilda or up the ante maybe the gi
Heba Nouraldeen
Apr 19, 2015 Heba Nouraldeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
لم تفارقني الأبتسامة طوال قراءتي
لقد أحببتك يا ماتيلدا :)
تلك الفتاة الراشدة صغيرة السن ..العبقرية حادة الذكاء
وللأسف كم من الأباء والامهات يفتخرون بأبنائهم الحمقى المغفلين وفى المقابل هناك غيرهم من لا يهتم بعبقرية ابنائهم ويعتبرونها ثرثرة فارغة بل ومزعجة...
واخيراً ماتيلدا كانت تدرك ان الذكاء وحده لا يكفى
كانت لطيفة ...واللطف يأتى فى مقدمة الصفات الأنسانية التى لابد الا نتخلى عنها ابداً
جميل عالم الأطفال بفكاهته ..نحن بحاجة للعودة اليه من حين لأخر :)
sj
Feb 27, 2013 sj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My senior year in high school, I became friends with this girl that kind of way outclassed me.

I wore men's cords and snap up western shirts under tee shirts, and was often barefoot when I could get away with it (I kept my duct taped corduroy converse in my backpack and would just slip them on when I went into class)I dyed my hair every week and went to a lot of local punk and third wave shows (srsly, a lot - like at least two a week and I rarely paid my way in).

Contrast with E. who wore heels an
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I have to wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. His evil adult characters had to have come from his own nightmares. The kids always win against the grownups, though. Maybe that's why Dahl's books are so popular. Isn't it every kid's dream to get back at the big people who get to control your life just because they're big and you're little?
Some of Dahl's grownups are so absurdly cruel, it emphasizes the fact that there are a lot of adults who should not be allowed near children. (I'm thinking of
Meli
Feb 01, 2015 Meli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que siempre tuve curiosidad por leer este libro ya que siempre amé la peli, pero la honestamente esperaba otra cosas y resultó no ser mi favorito de Roald Dahl, tiene obras mucho más ingeniosas y entretenidas.

Lo dejo en un me gustó.

Sin embargo, le voy a dar cinco estrellas porque:

1º es Roald Dahl
2º es Matilda
3º detesto a los adultos que le dan puntajes negativos a libros infantiles. Dios no permita que me convierta en una alguna vez :P
Molly
Rating, 2.5 (No, it's not a typo, it would have been a rating of 1.5, but I loved the beginning and Matilda discovering her love for books.)

Oh, please don't bash me. I really wished to love this book. I was sure I would. It's a children's book everyone loves .... everyone but me. Sorry.

WARNING! Seriously incoherent ranting ahead. Spoilers too. I don't care.

description

Matilda is a precocious five old girl, who loooves reading (how great is that). She's very smart and down to earth. She has the most OBNOXIO
Florencia
Jan 23, 2016 Florencia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hello-neverland
June 23, 2013

Another wonderful memory of my childhood. Sort of. I read this book years ago (I won't say how many, of course), and I loved it. My dear grandma (my Goodreads back then) bought it for me. I read it as fast as I read Little Women. I just couldn't put it away. Amazing story, nice writing, funny descriptions of... kind of awkward situations. Really good book. A book that I no longer have because I lent it to someone and that someone NEVER gave it back to me. So, if you, "someone", have
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Despite Roald Dahl being my favorite author as a child (I loved The BFG and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the most), I never read this book as a child. I've also never seen the movie. I suspect my parents kept it from me, afraid of what my brain would do with the revenge fantasy theme. *grin* I do love the idea of extra brain power coming out in secret powers. I already had that fantasy as a child, so my parents couldn't keep it from me entirely.

This audiobook production is spectacular. Kate
Vitor Martins
Primeiro livro do Roald Dhal que eu leio e, apesar de já estar esperando uma boa história (amo o filme), me surpreendi com a narrativa sensível.
Uma leitura rapidinha, mas muito proveitosa! Adorei!
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Matilda is such a famous book/movie that I think it doesn't need a synopsis.

So, I'll get into the middle of things and admit that this is my first time reading the book (and my first time seeing the movie). *hides*

The reason I read this in the first place is that Matilda is my son's next book assignment. I felt nervous because I'm not a fan of Roald Dahl's The BFG and didn't know what to expect. And yet I am thrilled about this book. I absolutely love it and highly recommend it (to those who, l
Nico
May 16, 2008 Nico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was almost *too* stimulating, too gloriously gratifying, when first I read it at a tender age: it's repulsively trite of me to say this, but I felt that it had been written expressly for me.

Just a few of its attractions:
- a fiendishly, freakishly precocious protagonist, whose precocity is depicted as a source of both value and supernatural powers. We're supposed to love Matilda *because* she's smart (a welcome relief from the nerd-bashing and suffocating averageness of other kids'-lit
Veiledhorizon
Jun 09, 2016 Veiledhorizon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this years ago but I forgot most of the story so I reread this book today. I still love this book just as much as I did in the past! This story is such a lovely story about the precocious Matilda. I also love the fact that she reads just like us!(YES XD) I just find her character endearing. She is rather brave as well. Oh yeah, I absolutely loved the ending. It was funny and sweet at the same time. I wish she could be my best friend hehe XD
Julissa
Dec 04, 2015 Julissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is lovely, clever, funny and very sweet! :) I loved the movie as a child and now I love the book also :)

Recommended.

Childrens 2 11 Apr 27, 2016 03:45PM
  • Jip en Janneke
  • Het Helse Paradijs (De Toekomsttrilogie, #2)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • The Worst Witch Strikes Again (Worst Witch, #2)
  • The Eleventh Hour
  • Someday Angeline (Someday Angeline, #1)
  • Magic by the Lake (Tales of Magic, #3)
  • De zevensprong
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...

49 trivia questions
13 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 862 likes
“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 855 likes