Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  365,825 ratings  ·  7,828 reviews
Matilda ist ein Wunderkind, verständig und blitzgescheit. Ihr Verstand ist so hell und scharf, dass es selbst den beschränktesten Eltern auffallen müsste. Aber weder sie noch die Lehrer sehen das Außergewöhnliche an ihr. Für die Schmach in Schule und Elternhaus sinnt die kluge Kleine auf Rache. Sie entdeckt, dass sie übersinnliche Kräfte hat, und macht von ihnen Gebrauch.
Hardcover, Sonderausgabe/Special Edition, 248 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by Rowohlt Tb. (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.

Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)

Grace Tjan
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What i

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the rea
Shayantani Das
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Nov 06, 2010 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
Jason Koivu
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
WOW, I loved Matilda ! This was my first time reading the story that makes so many list of "must read" that I wanted to understand what all of the fuss was about. Well now I do!!!

Roald Dahl weaves a compelling and creative tale that keeps the reader interested from start to finish! This book is charming, clever, and funny ... with a bit of sadness mixed in.

The characters are vividly developed:

From the Good ...

* Matilda, the child prodigy, who taught herself to read and has morals (not sure whe
I would like to write about how great this book is, but I think my 8-year old daughter does a much better review. She read the book aloud to my wife and me on our long road trip this week.

The non sequitur moment in her review brought to you by Spice, the howling cat.

Oh, and yes - Spoilers abound.
Oh Roald Dahl, you make my life complete. Matilda is one of those books for me. One of the books in my bookshelf, tattered and worn, pages falling out, that I will always go back to, no matter what the occasion. Dear, darling Miss Honey, Matilda's first grade teacher, is ever child's dream, and now that I'm older, every adult's dream as well. Miss Honey lives in a two room cottage with no running water, a camp stove, and wooden boxes for seats. She eats margarine instead of butter! Would that w ...more
K.D. Absolutely
This is my third book by Roald Dahi (1916-1990). I did not plan to read this because I’ve already read his more famous (earlier) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) and his boyhood memoir, Boy: Tales of Childhood (1984) which are both included in the 501 Must Read Books that I am trying to read completely. However, the Filipinos group here in Goodreads selected this book as its bestseller read for this month, September 2011 so I had to buy and read this one too.

This book's main protagonist,
pinkpinkpink (teaching my cat how to read)
I remember reading Matilda as a child... and back then I had a lot of questions:
How did Matilda learn to add very large numbers?
Why can't I add large numbers like Matilda?
Is it really ok to get back at your parents when you think they did something wrong?
Are there really people like "The Trunchball"?
Can I have superpowers like Matilda?
Why am I not allowed to go to the library by myself when Matilda can clearly manage by herself?
And lastly,Can adults really be that clueless and stupid?

But reading
This was a fun read, even though the movie Matilda is heavily engraved in my mind and there was no real surprises when reading it. It was fun even though the young lad I was reading it with kept falling asleep two pages in, and I felt to finish in one night.
This story could be used as a manual to parents on how to NOT raise your kids and to all the Trunchbottoms, on how to Not teach children.
All the Trunchbottoms watch out their next pupil might just be like Matilda or up the ante maybe the gi
My senior year in high school, I became friends with this girl that kind of way outclassed me.

I wore men's cords and snap up western shirts under tee shirts, and was often barefoot when I could get away with it (I kept my duct taped corduroy converse in my backpack and would just slip them on when I went into class)I dyed my hair every week and went to a lot of local punk and third wave shows (srsly, a lot - like at least two a week and I rarely paid my way in).

Contrast with E. who wore heels an
La verdad es que siempre tuve curiosidad por leer este libro ya que siempre amé la peli, pero la honestamente esperaba otra cosas y resultó no ser mi favorito de Roald Dahl, tiene obras mucho más ingeniosas y entretenidas.

Lo dejo en un me gustó.

Sin embargo, le voy a dar cinco estrellas porque:

1º es Roald Dahl
2º es Matilda
3º detesto a los adultos que le dan puntajes negativos a libros infantiles. Dios no permita que me convierta en una alguna vez :P
Heba Nouraldeen
لم تفارقني الأبتسامة طوال قراءتي
لقد أحببتك يا ماتيلدا :)
تلك الفتاة الراشدة صغيرة السن ..العبقرية حادة الذكاء
وللأسف كم من الأباء والامهات يفتخرون بأبنائهم الحمقى المغفلين وفى المقابل هناك غيرهم من لا يهتم بعبقرية ابنائهم ويعتبرونها ثرثرة فارغة بل ومزعجة...
واخيراً ماتيلدا كانت تدرك ان الذكاء وحده لا يكفى
كانت لطيفة ...واللطف يأتى فى مقدمة الصفات الأنسانية التى لابد الا نتخلى عنها ابداً
جميل عالم الأطفال بفكاهته ..نحن بحاجة للعودة اليه من حين لأخر :)
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I have to wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. His evil adult characters had to have come from his own nightmares. The kids always win against the grownups, though. Maybe that's why Dahl's books are so popular. Isn't it every kid's dream to get back at the big people who get to control your life just because they're big and you're little?
Some of Dahl's grownups are so absurdly cruel, it emphasizes the fact that there are a lot of adults who should not be allowed near children. (I'm thinking of
Vitor Martins
Primeiro livro do Roald Dhal que eu leio e, apesar de já estar esperando uma boa história (amo o filme), me surpreendi com a narrativa sensível.
Uma leitura rapidinha, mas muito proveitosa! Adorei!
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Despite Roald Dahl being my favorite author as a child (I loved The BFG and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the most), I never read this book as a child. I've also never seen the movie. I suspect my parents kept it from me, afraid of what my brain would do with the revenge fantasy theme. *grin* I do love the idea of extra brain power coming out in secret powers. I already had that fantasy as a child, so my parents couldn't keep it from me entirely.

This audiobook production is spectacular. Kate
This book was almost *too* stimulating, too gloriously gratifying, when first I read it at a tender age: it's repulsively trite of me to say this, but I felt that it had been written expressly for me.

Just a few of its attractions:
- a fiendishly, freakishly precocious protagonist, whose precocity is depicted as a source of both value and supernatural powers. We're supposed to love Matilda *because* she's smart (a welcome relief from the nerd-bashing and suffocating averageness of other kids'-lit
Florencia Brino
June 23, 2013

Another wonderful memory of my childhood. Sort of. I read this book years ago (I won't say how many, of course), and I loved it. My dear grandma (my Goodreads back then) bought it for me. I read it as fast as I read Little Women. I just couldn't put it away. Amazing story, nice writing, funny descriptions of... kind of awkward situations. Really good book. A book that I no longer have because I lent it to someone and that someone NEVER gave it back to me. So, if you, "someone", have
So much fun to read, mainly because of the nostalgia, silly humour and mad-over-the-top characters - I especially loved evil Mrs Trunchbull and her Chokey and Matilda's awful parents. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was Matilda coming into her random powers too late in the story, also some of the kids sounded a little old for their age. Still it was an entertaining little read.
Sidharth Vardhan
It was a toss between this and 'Ulysses'. And 'The Sound and the Fury'* - Which, by the way, Matilda had read by age of five! and she liked it! Feeling embarrassed already? No? she could also tell you within seconds and without calculator; what is seventeen times nineteen. Can you? Can you?

Not only is she a child prodigy; she also showed ability of telekinesis for sometime. Roald Dahl seems to have a message for both children and grown-ups. And it is quite clear; grown-ups need not always be rig
This is a funny yet heartfelt moving story about a small girl who comes from a hellish family but shows a tender heart and an optimistic personality. Very inspiring! While reading this, I can’t stop thinking I wish I had a brain like her especially the ability to read all those great novels in a very early age. Unlike Matilda, my mom was the one doing the reading job when I was 5 years old...LOL!

Every one should read this no matter what age…
The audiobook as read by Kate Winslet, Perfect Human Being, is a 5/5, for sure. So good. Very entertaining, Northern accents (one of my favourites!), nice range of voices. I love her reading. So much. I'm going to go look up every other book she's read and listen to each of them.

If I had read this as a child, I would have mostly been interested in Matilda being really into books and getting justice for Miss Honey (justice is my fave), but reading it as an adult is really a different beast altoge
Ahmad Sharabiani
پدر تو چهطور به دختر نابغهات میگویی: بیشعور»
پدر و مادر ماتیلدا لقبهای زشتی به دخترشان دادهاند: حقهباز! احمق! بیشعور! دروغگو! اما راستش را بخواهید ماتیلدا یک دختر کوچولوی نابغه است. پس باید دید که ماتیلدا چهطور میتواند رودست پدر و مادرش بلند شود و به مدیر مدرسه بفهماند که استعداد و قدرتی کاملاً استثنایی دارد.» رولد دال بهترین نویسندهی مرد انگلستان لقب گرفته است. او مینویسد: «اگر میخواهید دنیا را از دریچهی چشم کودکان ببینید، چهار دست و پا روی زمین زانو بزنید و به بزرگسالانی که بالای سرتان چشم غره
Hanbi Ko
Jan 02, 2008 Hanbi Ko rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Matilda is an extrodinary 5 year old girl with amazing mental powers with her eyes and brain. She lives to do anything to get rid of the school's principal and finds a new family with a teacher in her grade while her family is moving. She is willing to always try her best and shares her thoughts to everyone. She gives hope to others and she finds happiness.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I love Matilda! I've read it so many times! It's such a wonderful and creative book. I also enjoy it because I don't think any author would dare to write anything like it today. It's a classic.
Aug 07, 2008 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All children, some adults, anyone with a good imagination
Recommended to Emma by: Mum bought me it
Matilda... well what can I say. This is embarrassing but... I AM Matilda. At least I was, when, aged eight, I read ten library books a week and was obsessed with every single book I could get my hands on. I adored Roald Dahl, and I adored this book.

Roald Dahl has got a brilliant, unique voice which I think most adults (in my experience) just don't get, but kids naturally love and understand. His stories are full of relatable charaters but magic, wonder, gooey gross stuff (kids love that) and ta
Denize Teo
Jun 11, 2008 Denize Teo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mr Tony and M5 students
Recommended to Denize by: Dad, and mom
This book is about a girl who is just 4 and is already a genius. Her parents dislike her and call her names. Her teacher, Miss Honey, thinks that Matilda is a very bright girl and can advance to the next grade. But the headmistress, a fierce and angry bull, named Miss Agatha Trunchbull, stopped Miss Honey. Miss Honey told Matilda's parents about her. But did not care. Matilda always thought that Miss Honey was a great teacher, and visited her too. She then realised, that Miss Trunchbull, is her ...more
Roald Dahl is the grand-daddy of children’s fiction. And weirdly enough, I hadn’t read a single one of his books. Eventually, good sense prevailed and lo!......there’s Matilda.

Matilda is a child-prodigy. Barely five-years old, she is wise and articulate. She is blessed with a thirst for reading and is also cursed with the vilest excuses for parents. They are self-absorbed, mindless twits who could have crushed the will of a lesser child. But for Matilda, exacting revenge on the Wormwoods (aptly
classical 2 25 Sep 11, 2015 10:32PM
classical 1 3 Sep 05, 2015 07:57AM
classical 1 3 Sep 05, 2015 07:57AM
Book or Movie? 81 301 May 08, 2015 03:15PM
A Million More Pages: Matilda: Mar 13 70 50 May 06, 2015 12:44AM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Triomf van de Verschroeide Aarde (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #2)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Amelia's Notebook (Amelia's Notebooks, #1)
  • De Griezelbus 1
  • Geheimen van het wilde woud
  • Island of the Aunts
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • Oorlogswinter
  • Adventures of the Wishing Chair
  • The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Bad Girls
  • The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches The Twits

“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 756 likes
“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 712 likes