Start by marking “The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)

The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Retells a part of the Odyssey in which King Odysseus fights the cyclops.
Published August 18th 2003 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The One-Eyed Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One-Eyed Giant

Coreena
Tales From The Odyssey is a series of six children's books that retell Homer's Odyssey. They are written by Mary Pope Osborne of The Magic Tree House fame and are written for a similar age group, I would say around grade 2 to 6. The names of the characters may be a bit complicated, but there is a pronunciation guide in the back. I have chosen to review the series as a whole because I tend to think of The Odyssey as a whole, that and we read them so fast that they seem like one story.

I recently r
Julie Suzanne
Sep 16, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Low-level readers in higher grades or 3rd grade boys.
I do so recommend this to students who are at the Magic Treehouse reading level but want a little more action. I have students who are in middle school reading Magic Treehouse, and I highly recommend this to them as the content is a little more interesting.

My son was tired of Magic Treehouse books being so tame, and this one described the cyclops tearing limbs off of his friends and eating them whole, once vomiting, drunk, chunks of human flesh, blood, and brains. My son was officially hooked o
Corinne
What a FIND! This series of books is a retelling of that age old tale, The Odyssey. The text is swiftly paced but with a lot of detail and Osborne assumes that kids who will read it can handle it's...harshness? Yes, soldiers get eaten by the Cyclops. Yes, they gouge the Cyclop's eye out with a stake. My 7 year old adored this chapter book - the chapters are just the right length (I read aloud 2-3 chapters per evening) and although I would've thought it would be illustrated, it isn't. But it was ...more
Nari
When Odysseus is summoned to fight in the Trojan War, he never thought that it would take him almost 10 years to return to his family on their home of Ithaca. With cunning and ingenuity, Odysseus manages to win a victory for Greece over Troy, but on the way back, he angers one too many of the great Gods of Olympus, thus delaying his journey home. This first book covers the first of his many blunders, particularly with the Cyclops and the God Poseidon.

I really enjoyed this series. Mary Pope Osbor
Juan-Diego
I thought that the story that Mary Pope Osborne told was pretty gruesome because when Odyssey and his men were stuck in a cave with a one-eyed giant for each meal the giant smashed two Greek men and chewed them with a following gulp of milk from his goats. After that, that night Odyssey came up with a plan, his plan was to take the giant’s stake and jam it in the fire and then poke it in the giant’s single eyeball in the center of his eye.
The problem that Odyssey had was that he kept on hurting
JoAnna Morris
I read the series aloud to my kids and they hung on my every word. They begged for me to read it to them throughout the day. We had a hard time putting it down and finished the series of 6 books in a few short weeks.
Mary Pope Osborne did an excellent job simplifying The Odyssey for children (and adults). I am grateful that my children have this great foundation of Homer's famous poem to help them in their future studies.
teresa
We have been reading Greek Myths lately and I discovered this series by Mary Pope Osborne. They are written for grade 2-5 but I am reading them aloud to my 5 year olds. I think Osborne does a great job of taking the story and making it interesting and understandable for younger kids. We will be reading the rest of the series.
Asriani
Beth
This excellent retelling of the Odyssey starts with the end of the Trojan War. My 4th Gr son was super excited about the Enormous Hollow Horse with the trap door to hide Greek soldiers. He was less excited about the mass slaughter that followed that trick. (Although Osborne does a good job toning down the violence).

This is a perfect choice for reluctant readers who aren't ready to tackle the Percy Jackson series yet.
Clara
This series is a very simple introduction into Greek Mythology. My second grader loved reading them and I was impressed with the many subjects that Mary Pope Osborne has written about. My kids love her Magic Tree House series but she has written about several cultures myths and we have enjoyed reading several of those books including this series and her Favorite Greek Myths book.
Veronica
Nathaniel
I liked it. Odysseus and his men were sailing and got stuck on an island. They went exploring on this island and they got stuck in a cave cause a one eyed giant rolled a boulder in front so they couldn't get out. For his meal he ate 2 of his men. One night they burned his eye so he was blind. Then he opens the door so they escape.
Dolly
Aug 26, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Our oldest is in love with all things pertaining to Greek Mythology, so this was a natural choice for her. We found another one of these books in our travels, but it was book number 5 (Return to Ithaca), so we decided to wait and read the first four books first. I like that this is a condensed, accessible version for children. It keeps the excitement and adventure of the story without being too difficult to read or overly long. I think that this kind of adaptation will help our girls develop a l ...more
Carol
This is a well-written simplified version of the Odyssey. Reading difficulty could be 1st grade, with the exception of some of the names. But content-wise you would probably want 3rd grade or older as some events are fairly graphic.
Tia
JOnah, my 6 year old, just finished this book. Can I say that I LOVE Mary Pope Osborne. She has the most phenomenal books for young readers. I am so grateful that I can expose my children to the classics, history, non-fiction and fiction on a level that they love to read, and can understand. It is great exposure, and will make it much easier to learn and to love these topics when they are exposed to them in their more raw form as they grow up and go through their education. Jonah loved this book ...more
Shelli
Mary Pope Osborne translations the challenging work of Homer’s The Odyssey to a level that elementary age students can read and enjoy. I love how many chapter book series adaptations of Greek Mythology there are available kids of all ages and reading levels to learn from; hopefully making it less daunting when asked to read the full epic tales later.

Kasim
I thought the book was good because it had lots of action and it was so good you wanted to read more and more till you are done the book.
Kimberly
I picked this up to read with #1, who is seven. He turned his nose up, but I convinced him to try it. While reading, he would stop to ask what a particular word meant, which really bugged me while reading. There are a lot of large words and phrases that he has just not been exposed to in the story. Looking back, it was a great vocabulary lesson. We finished tonight and he asked if I would find book 2 to read, that he "kind of thought the story was good, but just kind of." (His words friends.) I ...more
Emily
An appropriately faithful retelling of Homer's epic, free of many of the verbal tics characteristic of Osborne's Tree House series. Deserves to be better-known.
Nancy
A kid friendly version of The Odyssey for kids. My class really liked it. A great basis for studying the classics later.
Mas5thgrade2014
This book was ok. I read it for the traditional books.
KittyKatLove1313
Melissa
A adaptation of The Odyssey for beginning readers!
Greta
My students in my 4-6th reading class LOVED these books. They have a map graphic organizer. The stories are broken up unto several books and the content is understandable and not too esoteric for readers. Book series rates at the 5-6 grade indepedendent reading level. These books are out of print and I have seen them listed for as much as 55.00 a book..HOWEVER if you are diligent and keep looking cheaper prices have come up. some I got in hardcover for about 4.00.
Francesca Bertucci
This book is great for children between 3-6th grade. Its very magical and entertaining. Its about Odysseus and his challenges. He has to leave his home to fight in the Trojan War and he can't imagine being away from his family for so long. Finally he is leading his men home and they have to take on many challenges before they reach home. The one-eyed giant being one of the most challenging and dangerous tasks they must take on.
Susie
I was really impressed with the first of Mary Pope Osborne’s new series, Tales from the Odyssey, which is a retelling of the Odyssey in chapter book format. As the daughter of a Latin teacher, a Classics minor, and a children’s librarian, I think that this series is a great introduction to classical literature, and I think it would be very appealing to fans of series like the Magic Treehouse and the Secrets of Droon.
Cohen really likes this series so I thought I'd read it too. It's a nice little Greek history set at elementary level and reads quickly (at that level). Handy pronunciation key in back.
Advie
Not enough time to read the Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer...Mary Pope Osborne has struck gold again with yet another book. This is part of a three part book series recapping the highlights of Homer's book. I very much enjoyed reading this one and getting a taste of the classic without all the time needed to read it.
Cindy
Sep 26, 2012 Cindy added it
My daughter actually picked these out herself at the library, and has LOVED reading them. (Tear!) They are a quick read, but really very well-written. She has long outgrown the Treehouse series, but I was thrilled to find that Osborne's version of Odysseus's stories are accurate and very entertaining!
Brenda
A very nice story of Homer's Odyssey. I liked reading more about Greek Mythology and it was very easy to follow. Middle grade students would be able to follow this pretty easily but unsure about how they would deal with some of the things monsters do in the story to they Greeks.
Carolina
Another book that Julian and I read together. He flew through it and begged to read more each night. In my opinion, the only way to read the Odyssey. It is the original story just written so a kid can read it and enjoy it. We now are waiting for the next book from the library.
  • The Storm
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR (The Story of the World #4)
  • The Treasure
  • The Raft
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Pia the Penguin Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Ocean Fairies, #3)
  • A Weed Is a Flower: The Life of George Washington Carver
  • Amos & Boris
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Owen and Mzee: The Language of Friendship
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • Exploring Creation: With Astronomy
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Tales from the Odyssey (6 books)
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • Sirens and Sea Monsters (Tales from the Odyssey #3)
  • The Gray-Eyed Goddess (Tales from the Odyssey, #4)
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • The Final Battle (Tales from the Odyssey, #6)
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)