Photo Freedom

Photo Freedom

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A fantastic system for organizing and storing photos. Helps you to connect with your photographs. System has a universal application. Reaches out to all scrapbookers with a plan and guide.
130 pages
Published February 26th 2008 by CKMedia

To ask other readers questions about Photo Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Photo Freedom

Lisa
I was feeling energized from meeting Stacy Julian and reading her new book, Photo Freedom, although the topic is not new to me, for some reason, meeting her and taking her fast paced Finish Line album class, I returned to her photo sorting philosophy with a fresh perspective.

Here's the deal, in 2007 I took her on-line class called a Library of Memories, but watch for it on Big Picture Scrapbooking in the future, if on-line classes are your thing. I tried to keep up with the reading material from...more
Lisa
This book is wonderful and completely refreshing. The class that this is based on (Library of Memories at Big Picture Scrapbooking) that I took when it was first offered (and that I will be participating in again at the end of this month) completely changed the way I look at scrapbooking and recording the story of our family and our memories. I've never felt more organized, less guilt, or more able to create pages from a *good* place when sitting down to scrapbook as I did since taking the LOM c...more
Michelle Johnson
This book was okay. The basic premise is an organization system. A VERY convoluted one. I think the most important thing to take from this book is to scrapbook however you want and not chronologically. I already do that. There wasnt much for me to learn from this book. NO WAY would I try to put this organizational idea in place. I am pumped to scrapbook though. So it served its purpose.
Kristen
Apr 06, 2008 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking to scrapbook more!
I took Stacy's Library of Memories Class at Big Picture Scrapbooking and found it to be very liberating, but I got stuck at a few of the sections. I am taking the class again and figured I would not buy the book as it is really less in depth than the class, but I am glad I did. The book, while not as detailed as the class offers a few new tips and ideas that the class missed (although I am in the class again this year, time has prevented me from covering as much as I wanted to). I particulary li...more
Aimeslee
I took the online class version of this book, and aside from the disappointment that the book wasn't included in ebook form, it was a great experience. I got the opportunity to borrow this book from a friend to read it, but I really wish I could find a copy to buy and keep. It is out of print and an expensive collectors item on ebay now.

I cannot say enough about her process and method. It is really working well for me. The book explains the manual application of her methods. The online class hel...more
Deirdre Keating
This was my reward for making progress on our office. Julian's Big Picture is easily the best book/source of inspiration I've read regarding scrapbooking. I enjoyed this one, but it didn't come close to BP in my opinion. Possibly because I was already familiar with her approach from BP, so it wasn't as novel. The photos and design was beautiful, and I loved that it was spiral so I could easily read it on a drive to GJ. There is a section on how others applied her ideas, which was a great concept...more
Elizabeth
I have so much admiration for the way Stacy Julian teaches and practices her philosophies about memory. While I didn't have the immediate emotional connection with Photo Freedom that I had with her last two books, I think it's only because this one is far more action-oriented. I'm not quite ready to start the work it will require to get my own Library of Memories system up and running, but it is an important goal on my list. Anyone who is in charge of family photos, or who has thousands just fro...more
Carolyn
Oct 18, 2008 Carolyn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who lacks creativity & organization
I've been scrapbooking for over 32 years! It wasn't until about 10 years ago (with the advent of my 2 kids, scrapbook stores and digital photography) that my scrapbooking took on new meaning. Now it just seems like I collect stuff..., but I digress.

So much for the premise. I purchased this book with great hope only to discover that her organizational ideas are not what I need. (I think mine are better. Hence, the 2 star rating.) The one thing I learned from this book is that organization is not...more
Linda
Stacy Julian provides a refreshing new outlook on how to approach scrapbooking and organize your photos in the most optimal way. It may take me a while to adapt to her system, but I hope to head in that direction. The book itself is very well organized with an excellent presentation and concrete takeaways -- I will surely be reviewing it for years to come. I especially like the last section where she shows how various scrapbookers use and modify her system.
Michelle Alley
This book was completely fitting to the dilema I was having with my scrapbooking efforts. To scrapbook in chronilogical order, or not? Stacy's book is more about how to organize your photos, than scrapbooking ideas. There are some great tools among these pages for the unorganized scrapbooker. The back of the book contains some fun ways of using your newly organized photos that I've already put into action.
Trish
Jan 16, 2013 Trish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Non-Fiction; Arts & Crafts/Scrapbooking
5 stars

Stacy Julian is the former Editor of the now defunct Simple Scrapbooks magazine. In her book, she explains how to simplify the scrapbooking process so you can produce more documenting (layout) in less time. She also gives you pointers in how to store those photos that you don't end up putting in a scrapbook.

I really enjoyed this book.
Holly
Jul 25, 2008 Holly added it
Shelves: other
The first time I read this, I couldn't put it down - read through it in less than 2 days. I'm totally into seeing if I can make this work for myself. I have read and re-read many sections of this. It's an awesome resource. I've implemented several ideas from it but haven't gotten to a fully functional system yet. GREAT RESOURCE. Highly Recommended.
Jul 17, 2008 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbooker
Seriously the best book ever!!! If you are ever in a rut and think you will never get caught up on scrapbooking.....this is the book for you!!!! Stacy has a unique way of scrapbooking...there is no need to scrapbook chronologically!!! I love that....I would suggest getting Big Picture Scrapbookng also....it was a great lead into this book!
Seanna
It's about photos and scrapbooks but it's much more than that. Impossible to explain. I'm also currently taking the author's online 16-week class, dork that I am. It started out as a solution to a specific problem but unexpectedly turned out to be a lifestyle, even a life changing thing. Yep, I really am this dorky.
Carrie
This is one of those books that changed the way I felt about scrapbooking at the time. I have re-read the book many times and will always keep it on my shelf. I have taken the LOM class that she basically outlined in this book and it really has changed the way I scrapbook, as well as the way I think about the pages that I do.
Shannon
GREAT book for helping you get your photos organized. In this book she details her entire photo/scrapbooking system. Stacy has a great method/philosophy for letting go of the guilt of being "behind" and gives you the permission and freedom to be creative & scrapbook only the memories that are important to you.
Laurie
I didn't even get a chance to move this book to my "currently reading" shelf. This book arrived today in the mail and I read it cover to cover. I loved it. I am really motivated now to organize my photos in a more effective way. I also love her approach of letting go of chronological order.
Jana
I absolutely loved this book!! As a scrapper of over 10 years, I have often gotten "bogged down" in the pictures. This book gave me not only great ideas to sort them, but also really enforced the fact that you don't have to scrap chronologically! I think every scrapper should read it!
Dianne
May 07, 2008 Dianne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: scrapbookers
I got a lot out of this book. If you are scrapbooker who is bored w/traditional chronological scrapbooking (like me) this will make you think. I recommend her other book "The Big Picture" to go along with it. I feel it's a worthwhile book to have. Or at least borrow!
Lea
Mar 16, 2008 Lea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
If you've read The Big Picture...Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More and you like dit, then you'll love this book. It's got more photos and more explicit directions on how to implement Stacy Julian's system for organizing and using photos. Definitely worth the wait!
Kristin
Apr 16, 2009 Kristin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mandie
Looking for inspiration to organize my photos, digital or print. This is a complex system. Might work for a more dedicated scrapbooker. I have no intention to actually scrapbook. I might use parts of this system. But it also seems a bit like a lifestyle. Ugh!
Tammy
I was going to just give it a 3 since I haven't fully implemented the photo methods she outlines, but i'm pretty sure i'm going to like them. Just thinking about the photos being reorganized is getting me energized to get more scrapbooking completed.
Cara
WOW!! Well, I was not disappointed! How could I ever be disappointed by Stacy! Granted that not much of the information was new to me after taking Library of Memories, but it is such a great resource and a quick way to motivate me to refresh my system.
Jan Byar
After I read this I spent a whole weekend reorganizing my pictures. And then organized my digitals. Alot of work, but so much easier now and the best part I don't scrap in order any more. Takes all the "I am so far behind guilt" out of scapping.
Carrie
finally light at the end of the tunnel for organizing my thousands of pictures.

i like her straight forward somewhat bossy tone. the book is beautiful and colorful and her instructions are detailed and repeated the right amount of times.
Amy
1505691 I really enjoyed this book, but being who I am I have a hard time with most of Stacy Julian's ideas. It will take time and patience + a ton of room for just storing the photos....until they can be scrapbooked.
Joan
Another book I've had for a while, I keep going back to it! I absolutely love how it has helped me become more organized! I actually scrap now on a weekly basis, instead of just collecting scrapbook stuff and photos.
Amanda
This book revolutionized the way that I think about scrapbooking and helped me understand that scrapbooking in a way that fits me is okay. I don't have to meet all the expectations of professional scrappers!
Peggy
I love how Stacy Julian was able to help me organize my photos. Can't say I've actually scrapbooked lately. But I know where my pictures are. Now just to print out the ones on my camera.
Karen
Amazing book. Stacy did it again. What a great way to organize photos and albums. Love her 4 catalogs. Makes it so easy to know where to put things and then find them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More Simple Scrapbooks Slice of Life Scrapbooking Better Photos for Your Scrapbooks A Simple Guide to PDQ Scrapbooking