Start by marking “The Rape of Innocence: Taking Captivity Captive” as Want to Read:
The Rape of Innocence: Taking Captivity Captive

The Rape of Innocence: Taking Captivity Captive

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"The Rape of Innocence: Taking Captivity Captive" is a book of celebration, a book that follows the life of a well-renowned minister and business owner. This book deals with issues of rape, molestation, disillusionment, domestic violence and abandonment. Still, it isn't about the beginning. It's the end that counts. This woman is a light to all women who have been victimiz ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Living Waters Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Rape of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rape of Innocence

May 20, 2009 Lacresha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially women
Recommended to Lacresha by: I wrote it
This book was a tough subject to tackle, but has been a source of strength to many since it was published. If you've ever battled depression, suicidal tendencies, sexual abuse, physical abuse or emotional abuse, this book will be the best investment you could ever make for your future.
Sep 04, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Lacresha is my boss. She is always pushy. She pushes deadlines and pushes her people for extreme excellence. It used to drive me crazy. After I read this book, I understood why.

This book was an amazing, but true story. What amazes me most, I suppose, is that I know her personally. I talk to her daily and would have never guessed that she'd been raped, molested, raised without a father, in a drug and perversion-infested family and an illiterate grandmother.

I recommend this book highly. It inspi
Karen Tims
Nichole Osborn
Lacresha has written an honest look into her life, to help others deal with very hard issues. Reading this book, for me, was like looking in a mirror. Her story is mine and my mother's story, all wrapped into one heart-breaking story. Forgiveness runs deep in this book; Forgiveness of others and forgiveness of self. There were times, I had to put the book down and cry. It really just hit home. Thank you, Lacresha, for opening your heart and helping those of us who still need to heal.
Samantha Mcdade
Jan 31, 2008 Samantha Mcdade rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has been physically or sexually abused.
Recommended to Samantha by: a RAINN member
As a vic of sexual assault, I've learned that I can still move past it and that one day it may not hurt anymore. That would be a dream come true.

This book is full of tragedy, loss and eventual triumph. It made me feel liberated in my soul and spirit. I also renewed my relationship with God after finishing it. I renewed my relationship with my husband too. He is truly a good man. I will never take him for granted again.
Debbie Todd
Feb 07, 2008 Debbie Todd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Debbie by: A woman at the bookstore
Sexual assault is a terrible fact of life and this book brings us face to face with issues most people are happy enough to sweep under the rug and leave undisturbed. I shed tears from page 3 of chapter one until the end of the book. I also happened upon a candid interview with the author at
Tonya Payne
My sister wrote this book. It was very powerful. There were so many things in it that I never knew about her. In fact, I'd say this book did a lot in helping us to bond.

This book is the greatest success story I've ever read. Anyone can go from rags to riches. Very few people make it through abuse and depression.
incredibly had me empathizing with those who have experienced such travesties
This book gives young people courage.
Dec 04, 2008 Lensey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women
Recommended to Lensey by: My wife wrote it
My wife has always been an awesome woman, but she shocked me in this book. The way she poured out her heart and soul was unbelievable and the responses to it has been outstanding.

The way she walks the reader through conquering pain is what makes this book special. She doesn't just tell you. The words are almost picturesque in the sense that she paints a scene of your future better because you stand up and fight for it. Great book from a fantastic wife, minister, mother and woman!
Nov 24, 2008 Leigh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Leigh by: Debbie
This book is poignant! With a very soft and compassionate tone, Lacresha deals with the issues of recovering from sexual, physical and mental abuse.
Vicky Warren
This book was filled with a true story of a life started in tragedy. But the way the author uses her pain and trauma to transform herself makes this book special. It's a tear-jerker. You will be sad, then angry, the frustrated, the relieves and finally amazed. Get the book!
I enjoyed the book and was happy about the love of and for Jesus Christ. The book showed that anything is possible with Christ Jesus and whatever you are going through, that there is a purpose and plan so stay strong and look to the Lord.
Lizzie Mclemore
Crap happens and some of us never make it out alive. Lacresha tells a story of surviving multiple forms of abuse and the power of faith. I don't want to spoil the book, but it's hard not to mention how large of a hole she had throughout childhood because her father was not there. The eventual revelation of God being there in His place saved her life through multiple suicide attempts.
I just won this from the Goodreads giveaways, so once I get it I'll read and review. Getting it for free puts me in a favorable mood towards it before even starting... :)

I understand that this book is a true story and that it's horrible, blah blah. However, that does not excuse the horrible writing behind it. This was boring to read, it jumped all over the place, none of the people mentioned in it were memorable (which made it extremely hard to remember them when you were jumped back and fo
Felicia Gordon
Lacresha writes her heart out in this book that shines a harsh light on abuse, sexual and physical. Her success story is filled with heart-thumping moments in which you find yourself wishing you could have been her savior. Then there are those powerful moments that make you say "I am woman, hear me roar" because she overcame hundreds of obstacles, the biggest being her own upbringing. I loved it.
Kathy Eberly
Lacresha tells it like it is in this riveting memoir. I appreciate her honesty and she gives hope to other women who've experienced similar situations.
Tasha Rochell
Tasha Rochell marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Bailey Dexter
Bailey Dexter marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Olivia Sanchez
Olivia Sanchez marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Angela A.
Angela A. marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Doris-Maria marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Ulanda Boyd
Ulanda Boyd marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Azaila marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lacresha has penned more than 20 titles, both fiction and nonfiction. She is the owner of Lanico Enterprise and founder of Your Healing Partner. She works tirelessly in community and economic development, and with victims of sexual and physical abuse. She is the host of THE AWAKENING, a BTR show fostering healing for women.

For more information, please visit
More about Lacresha Hayes...