Start by marking “Spring Fever” as Want to Read:
Spring Fever

Spring Fever

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When a man needs only two hundred pounds to marry his cook and buy a public house, one would expect his life to be trouble free, but the fifth Earl of Shortlands has to reckon with his haughty daughter, Lady Adela, and Mervyn Spink, his butler, who also happens to be his rival in love. Mike Cardinal offers to sort out the problem by pretending to be Stanton Cobbold but his ...more
Published December 13th 1984 by Penguin (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Spring Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spring Fever

Dan Schwent
Lord Shortlands (aka Shorty) needs 200 pounds so he can open a pub and marry his cook but he's competing with his own butler for her affections. Mike Cardinal wants to marry Terry Cobbold, Shorty's daughter, but she thinks he's too good-looking and a player. Standwood Cobbold wants to marry the actress Eileen Stoker but his father won't hear of it. Throw in a valuable postage stamp, imposters, mistaken identity, broken engagements, and a domineering daughter and watch the chaos ensue...

I've been
Ian Wood
‘These times in which we live are not good times for Earls. Theirs was a great racket while it lasted, but the boom days are over.’ So says Wodehouse of Lord Shortlands living out of the carefully measured pocket of his daughter Lady Adela. If only he could raise two hundred pounds as down payment on a pub he could elope with his cook.

Lord Shortlands plan is complicated by the butler competing for the affections of the cook, Stanwood Cobbold and his ex-burglar valet, August Robb and the on-off e
Ian
Another well written story featuring rich Americans at large in an English stately home. The impecunious owner of the stately home in question, Lord Shortlands, is a terrific character and it's odd that he doesn't appear in any other Wodehouse stories. The conniving butler, Spinks, adds a touch of the sinister usually reserved for private detectives and writers of vers libre.
Arianna
shelfnotes.com

Dear Reader,

Well. That Publisher's Description up there left a little bit to be desired, eh? I couldn't find any good "official" descriptions of the book out there, so I dug up what Wikipedia had to say - it seems to help a little, I think. Although nothing seems to be doing this book justice. It's hilarious. And I'd expect nothing less from Wodehouse. The man is a comic genius. I am constantly laughing out loud while reading his novels. His wit and sarcasm blend well together, pro
Kathleen
I shouldn't review any Wodehouse, for the simple reason that I am a Wodehouse harlot: any Wodehouse, anywhere, any time. That said, I enjoyed this lesser-known PGW novel. The characters were well-drawn and the plot typically complicated and hilarious.
Amanda
Whenever I feel even the slightest bit down, I really need to just remember to pick up some Wodehouse.
William
Nothing significant here, but the book is a lot of fun. This is a rare Wodehouse without either Wooster or Jeeves. It's a deliberately silly story, with a remarkably ingenious humorous plot. Mishap follows mishap. The dialog is witty and the characters memorable. Reading this is a fun way to spend a day or two.
J. Alfred
This is a Jeevesless Wodehouse, and a Jeevesless Wodehouse can make one ask what one ought to make of a diminished thing. The jokes, however, are excellent, and there are not one but two butlers doing impressive deeds in this novel. It will probably improve your life.
Phillip
This book isn't terrible. It just isn't great. The plotting is nice but not startling. The characters are bland and, for me, not always sympathetic. It isn't the title I would give if someone was going to read only one Wodehouse novel.
Sue
A lighthearted romance in typical ironic Wodehouse style. Confusions, attempted break-ins, caricatured wealthy movie-making Americans and equally caricatured upper-class English Earls all mix in this enjoyable book
James
Not quite Uncle Fred(my personal favorite). Not with the 'charm' of a Blandings or Jeeves,but still it is the master at his finest. Laugh out loud funny in many places. Good book.
Anita
I've never read a P.G. Wodehouse I didn't like. He's hilarious. I'm always willing to buy another one, and always willing to lend one to friends who return them.
John
Well kore of the same really with a strange indebtedness (partly) to King Lear. Beginning to think that Wodehouse was a frustrated burglar!
Matthew Hurley
Things looked bad there towards the end, but Wodehouse (and Mycroft Cardinal) came through. Don't know why I ever doubted them.
Douglas Wilson
This read was not in the Overlook edition. Also read in August of 1984.
Tessa
Hilarious. Wodehouse is always perfect for some lighthearted laughs.
Lauren
Oh wow almost done and i love it!
Pat
Very amusing with hilarious ending!
Miriam
Funny, with some great lines.
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Jocelyne
Jocelyne marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • Then and Now
  • England, My England
  • Cousin Henry
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Three Singles To Adventure
  • Drover's Secret Life (Hank the Cowdog, #53)
  • You Know Me Al
  • The Life to Come and Other Stories
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Dodsworth
  • The Confidential Agent
  • With Amusement for All: A History of American Popular Culture Since 1830
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)