I Married You (Pocketbooks)

I Married You (Pocketbooks)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This companion to I Loved a Girl uses the dramatic stories of young African couples and singles to affirm the logic and values of the biblical view of sexuality and marriage. New foreword by Elisabeth Elliot.
Published March 30th 1972 by Inter-Varsity Press (first published December 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about I Married You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Married You

Sue
This is one of the best books about Christian marriage that I've ever come across. Rather than being written as a teaching guide or text book, it's a narrative. It describes the author's experiences giving a brief series of lectures about marriage to an audience in an un-named African country.

During just a few days, Walter Trobisch meets someone unsure whether she really loves her fiancé, a girl in an imprisoning relationship, and a young man who would really love to be married but has not yet...more
Natalie
This book is so present-tense and compelling. It gets you in the mind of the pastor who narrates a true account as though it were happening now. I love how the author interweaves ideas and principles of marriage with slices of God's word and parallels it with the unfolding of very vivid true stories of love, pain, and new life. I think this is a beautiful picture of how life is (and a perspective which discovers that!) - we have a lot of knowledge on love and life, but ideas and faith are consta...more
Tijesunimi Olaoye
Great book, the ending nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Leave, Cleave, Become One flesh is the eternal truth that sustains a marriage.
The link between the central theme and Christ's love for the church is really an eye opener. it's a really new concept to me.
I personally recommend it to everyone, especially for young people- engaged or not.
Michael
Tells a good story and weaves in thoughtful insights on marriage. As is the case with much in life, maybe marriage is best understood when our own norms are contrasted with those of an entirely different culture -- I think the indirect comparison of Western with African values contributes heavily to the book's power.
D Elliott-quinerly
Simply beautiful... The many lives, stories, couples, nuances, all leading to the becoming ONE, as Christ and His Bride! Every person with breath in their lungs, and who are considering getting married SHOULD READ THIS BOOK! It is telling of why True Love must wait. I travel regularly between South Africa and America and this book debunked some of my thinking of how different we might consider marriage. We really are not that different in our way of thinking.

How many times have you heard a marr...more
Ciiku
If you are getting married, I believe you need to read this book!
Charles Anand
This book is the best and uncompromising introduction and summary of Christian marriage - runs with a background story that happened in the author's life. The best part is also that the book is short but yet profound! I will not forget the comparison between "Christ and church" and "husband and wife" relationships. Covers from before to into marriage and beyond!
Raymond Christopher
A great book about marriage, written by Walter Trobisch with narrative approach and composed of real life stories. The author was faced with the real marriage issues when he was currently doing a marriage seminar in Africa. I mean, what a huge opportunity (and also a huge challenge) it is, when you can actually apply what you said on the spot.

I love the concept of the triangle/tent : love-marriage-sex and how he related it with Christ in the end. One can feel that God really works throughout Wal...more
Nate Capone
The beginning was intriguing, but as it progressed the story lines became quite predictable, and then like in any fairy tale (even though these are supposed to be authentic stories), everything gets resolved and tied with a pretty little bow on the last page.

The author also seemed quite full of himself. Something about the way he presented himself as this sage character-that he is filled with infinite wisdom-it just bugged me. So although I liked some of the information, I felt the presentation...more
Josh
Read this before I got married, remember it being essential reading at the time.

I need to find another copy and reread it at some point.

The most important word/image I remember was the picture of marriage as a three legged stoll - Husband - Wife - God - if one of the legs was missing, you couldn't sit on it.

After 6 years of marriage, the image still stands, a testament to the insight of this pastor/author.

Recommended for those interested in a storied approach to what marriage looks like. Not a...more
Absolutely fantastic! I love the analogies the author uses to describe the ways marriage is perceived... good marriages and bad marriages. He uses the symbol of a triangle or tent to demonstrate the different motives for marriage. The stories about the people he meets are similar to "case studies" that help represent relationship styles. Ultimately, all marriages should be seen as analogous to Christ's relationship with the church.
Sheila
Three elements for the marriage symbol...To leave,To Cleave and one flesh.Each step of the three elements should go hand in hand. These three elements are like a triangle or three legged Stoll as one of the character in the book puts it.if one leg is missing then there's a problem. the most amazing thing is that these three elements represent Christ.
I love this book.Blessed is the man who bought it for me.Thank you Steven;)
Amanabo Nobility
for now, this is one of the best books i have read as regards marriage. i lent a copy from a friend, and i really need one for myself.
its a very practical book. I recommend this book for every married couple, singles who hope to get married, and marriage counselors as well.
Very good book; its a Biblical interpretation of what marriage should be.
Natalie Moore Goodison
First of the wedding books for me to encounter thus far, and yet, this book seemed much more universal, for everyone, rather than for someone engaged. His theology is evangelical, but not tradition. He holds to the Bible, but not necessarily to cultural conventions. It covers a series of talks and encounters given over four days in Africa. Fine.
Alan
This book is a lot different from most marriage books in that it is a story. A story of the author traveling to Africa and counseling marriages there. This book contains a lot of wisdom and insight, especially across cultures, and is a good story.
Mijito Chishi
Refreshing. Compelling. Drives the basic truth home without a doubt. Seasons may change, but truth remains the same. Marriages are made in heaven.
'Unless the Lord builds the house, it's builders labor in vain'
John Berg
The best book on Holy Matrimony that I have ever read!! Powerful!
Debbie Pierce
The most beautiful ending. I've never read a more beautiful book.
Eugene Caputi
Contains one of the best stories about marriage I've ever read.
Chidi OKORO
A great piece. A happy ending. I love it.
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Hasanthi Jayamaha
Hasanthi Jayamaha marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Cletus
Cletus added it
Sep 15, 2014
Dina De loera
Dina De loera marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Carla Frye
Carla Frye marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sawo Paul
Sawo Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Joshua Chukwuweike
Joshua Chukwuweike marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I Loved a Girl: A Private Correspondence I Loved a Girl My Beautiful Feeling Love Yourself/Love is a Feeling to Be Learned Love Is a Feeling to Be Learned