Night of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #1)

Night of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This direct follow-up to the best-selling War of Souls trilogy deals with the minotaurs, a race with which "New York Times" best-selling author Knaak is particularly known for. This series moves the minotaur species to the forefront of the Dragonlance world.
Published February 1st 2004 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2003)

Johanna
Since reading the first minotaur books written by Richard Knaak, I have been thirsty for more, captivated by the character of Kaz. Since his last book, "Land of the Minotaurs," however, I have yet to be inspired or impressed by his minotaur stories. "The Minotaur Wars - Volume 1: Night of Blood" begins by introducing many characters and promptly killing them. More characters are introduced and they too are killed off. The few who are not killed, are not heroic or especially inspiring, lacking th...more
Angel
I am not a huge fantasy reader; I would view myself more as a casual reader. I see something that looks interesting, and I may pick it up. At any rate, this trilogy seemed interesting, so I went ahead and picked it up at my local public library. I am glad I did. It was engaging from the start, and the first book gave me the desire to continue.

In the land of minotaurs, a bloody coup puts a new emperor on the throne. Hotak, the new ruler then proceeds to make an alliance with the ogres, who are t...more
Jim C
A book set in the world of Dragonlance. This book explores the realm of minotaurs. General Hotok stages a coup with aid from his wife and this book explores his attempt to stay in power.

I liked this book but it didn't blow me away. The author did a great job describing minotaurs and their society. I enjoyed how he portrayed minotaurs as warriors and their society is determined by this ideal. The problem with this novel is the development of the characters. There are so many characters that the r...more
Scott Block
Another race on Krynn heard from. My first introduction with minotaurs was with Mina during the War of Souls. It was fun to get a broader picture on their ways of life and war.
Phil Jervell
loved this series minotaurs intrigued me as a race nice to get peak at the race.
Patrick Leitzel
Good start to a good trilogy about a race you don't hear too much about
Richard
The basic story was good, rebels striving to overthrow an evil dictatorship, but the book is let down by weak characters and some poor plot points.

Firstly none of the characters have strong personalities, most in fact are weak and uninteresting. Because of this you don't care what happens to them and harms the book overall.

Another problem is the huge amount of killing, okay so it is a book of minotaurs, but too many times a character is introduced only to killed a couple of pages later. This ma...more
Timothy McNeil
I feel that even the two stars is generous, but somewhere past the halfway point Knaak gives up on awkward insertions of exposition (or at least limits them to somewhere near the level of acceptability) and lets this abbreviated tale of murder, mayhem, backstabbing, and revenge start to take shape. Mostly, I blame WoTC for the shape of this book. Perhaps they (and Knaak included) wanted their own version of the intrigues that provide the backdrop to Frank Herbert's Dune or seems to be the whole...more
Tabitha Tomala
This book just dragged. I normally love all the Dragonlance books (minus Murder is Tarsis), but I cannot for the life of me connect with any of the characters. The scene with the ogres when all they did was talk ogre, um hello! Translation please? That enter chapter was a waste. Not to mention the following scene with them chapters later where they talk about some agreement and never tell the read what the agreement is!
There are way too many scenes of what Nephera's undead can do, really we don'...more
Alexander Faria
No se ... empezo interesante... decayo y luego me volvio a interesar.. veamos los libros que vienen a ver si suben la calificacion
Kereesa
While i love Knaak's writing style, this impartial overview history narrative doesn't give me much characters to enjoy or even connect with. Although I will be reading the rest of the trilogy, I hope it does get better
Tim Dunn
Very good book, surprisingly. I usually like these kind sof novels, but wasn't sure how I'd relate to "Minotaurs", but actually quite well it turns out. Quick, fun read, first of a three part series.
Stephel
Not nearly as interesting as the main series. I had a hard time staying focused
Paul Bushey
It was ok I did not want to finish the trilogy
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Helgard
Helgard is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Derek Richardson
Derek Richardson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Karina Castro
Karina Castro marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Lord of the Rose (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #1)
  • Draconian Measures (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #2)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • City of the Lost (Dragonlance: Linsha, #1)
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • Saving Solace (Dragonlance: Champions, #1)
  • The Siege of Mt. Nevermind (Dragonlance: Chaos War, #5)
  • Children of the Plains (Dragonlance: Barbarians, #1)
  • Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...
The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1) Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1) Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1) The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)