Start by marking “James Herriot's Dog Stories.” as Want to Read:
James Herriot's Dog Stories.

James Herriot's Dog Stories.

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  5,367 Ratings  ·  250 Reviews
James Herriot is one of the most beloved storytellers of our time. The warm and joyful memoirs of his life as a country vet in Yorkshire have endeared him to countless readers around the world, and many of his most memorable tales featured man's best friend.
Here are the complete dog stories from his much-beloved memoirs: a handsome collection of tales, available for the fi
Mass Market Paperback, 541 pages
Published March 13th 1987 by Pan Books (first published January 1st 1986)

Lisa Kay
1) Magnus the difficult.
2) Mrs. Donovan’s beautiful Golden Retriever Roy.
    “It’s those wonderful condition powders.”
3 & 4) Skipper & Jingo II.

[image error][image error]
[image error][image error]

More than fifty enchanting stories of every type of dog – from pure breeds to mutts – told by the famous Yorkshire vet. Plenty of laughter and tons of tears in this one. It was too hard to pick a favorite. I just love the wise and wonderful ♥James Herriot♥. He knows and loves animals and how to
Sinta Nisfuanna
Saya bukan pecinta binatang, tapi menyukai cerita yang memperlihatkan sisi psikologis makhluk dan hubungan antar makhluk, termasuk manusia dan binatang. Dua hal ini yang sangat menonjol dari bku James Herriot dan saya suka sekali. Walaupun mungkin 'rasa'nya gak semeriah Segala Makhluk Besar dan Kecil ---mungkin karena Farnon dan Tristan tidak banyak muncul--- tapi James tetap bisa menuturkan cerita dengan bersahabat dan tak jarang saya jadi ikut merasakan apa yang dialami JH.
Andrew
Oct 30, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first somewhat extracurricular book I have read in a long time. It is, however, also the most touching book. I have a dog, so I can easily connect with Herriot's passion for the animal. While the book is a bit thick, every minute of reading it is enjoyable.

As a writer, Herriot showed me that sometimes it is not so important playing on the emotions of your readers as it is to simply tell your story. The collection of stories in Herriot's book does the job of getting the reader emotio
Andre
Aug 08, 2008 Andre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Andre by: No one
Shelves: dogs
I had read most of these stories as a teenager and young man in his famous four volume series All Creatures Great and Small, but they had become dim memories, so reading and rediscovering them was a joy. It was almost like a zen exercise to sit in the quiet with a cuppa, dog at my feet and read a story or two before bed or early in the morning. They are, for me, truly “fine-whiskey” stories—best read slowly and savored.

They are also such a metaphor for what our modern era with all its convenienc
Chana
The best! I have read all of these stories, but a re-read was a delight. I hadn't read these since I was in my teens. I was kind of surprised to see more depth in the stories, reading James Herriot as a man not just as a vet, reading about the vet and not just the animals. I was pretty focused on animals when I was younger and I think I missed a lot about the author himself. This time I enjoyed the stories even more. To feel happy, to laugh, to cry, to feel all the joy and absurdity of life, rea ...more
Esthy
Feb 13, 2016 Esthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of a very few books that stays in a dog-eared (pun intended) pile on my nightstand to be returned to the way I know some do the bible (dog spelled backwards, doncha know?). Dogs have been part of my life in a deep way. Literally in sickness and in health, their love simple, enduring and longer lasting than many a friendship. They have been reason to get out of bed and keep moving when sometimes I would have rather not. As Byron said of his beloved Boatswain, dogs possess "...all the virtues ...more
Hana Bilqisthi
Nov 06, 2016 Hana Bilqisthi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pinjem
Alhamdulillah akhirnya selesai juga baca buku ini. Sebenarnya dari awal baca ingin selesai dalam sekali duduk tapi masalahnya aku ketiduran karena kelelahan (bukan karena bukunya membosankan), saat ingin hendak lanjut lagi pekerjaan di kantor sedang banyak. Sebenarnya bisa baca saat weekend tapi dua minggu terakhir,aku menghabiskan weekend di karawang dan aku tahu aku akan dimarahi umi jika membawa buku pulang ke Karawang.
Jadi,aku harus mencicil buku ini di weekday.

Makasih mba Sinta sudah berb
Mike (the Paladin)
While these stories can mostly be found in other Herriot works...they are wonderful. I love the James Herriot (James Wight) books and hold them in a special place in my heart. I can't recommend them highly enough nor say how much joy they gave me upon first reading them and that they are still capable of giving.

While I love the first 2 in the "semi-biographic" group the most (and rated them 5 stars) his other works are just as worth reading. The only reason I settled on 4 stars here is that if I
Jackie
Aug 23, 2011 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
I love every anecdote that James Herriot ever had published - and since dogs are my favourite animals, this is one of my all time favourite books.

James Herriot nobly devoted his life to relieving animals from pain - and he and his fellow vets adopted so many strays that visitors to their house were greeted each time by a gloriously happy stampede of pooches.

His sense of humour was exquisite, as was his perception of people and animals. Stories about his courtship were particularly hilarious - an
Nida Fauzi
May 12, 2010 Nida Fauzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pecinta binatang? Buku ini saya rekomendasikan sebagai bacaan wajib Anda. Anjing bisa memahami perasaan manusia. James Herriot adalah seorang dokter hewan di era 30-an di Yorshire, Inggris Utara. Pengalamannya sebagai dokter hewan kemudian dituangkan dalam bentuk tulisan. Kisah-kisah inspiratif bagi pecinta binatang. Mengingatkan kita bahwa ikatan emosional yang tercipta antara hewan dengan manusia tidak bisa dianggap remeh temeh. Bagi yang sudah menamatkan buku ini hingga akhir, bisa jadi tamba ...more
Hilary
Jun 27, 2015 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although none of these stories were new to me - I've read all his books many times - I loved the introduction and the little notes at the end, some giving an end to the tale, others explaining context or sharing something about the real people.

I probably wouldn't buy it in addition to all the others (which I already own) but it was a fun read and would make a great gift for a dog-lover, or will act as an entry book into the world of a rural Yorkshire vet in the 1940s. It reminded me of how touch
Mandy
Nov 16, 2009 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book was put together in 1986 from stories originally published from the 1970's onward. They are cute stories, but dated.
Tina
Dec 10, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of animal stories you really need to read a few James Herriot stories. I have read all that he’s published including a biography about him, penned by his son. Obviously I am a big fan. So much so that we named our son after one of the characters in his series of books. Tristan is a great name and you couldn’t beat a story with Tristan starring in it as a mischievous and entertaining character.

This small book titled Dog Stories focuses only on the canine tales and pets Herriot ha
Megan
Jan 06, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
This book is the first of James Herriot's books that I have read. It is heartwarming, happy, uplifting, and just all around good! I like James Herriot's style of writing. It’s very friendly and sincere. This book is all short dog stories, (which I imagine are taken in part from his other books but I’m not sure) and I enjoyed them all. Of course, I’m sure it helps that I am an avid dog lover and I sit and think about my own beautiful dog while I read. Herriot certainly loves animals; it shines th ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is such a heartwarming as well as heartbreaking collection and it has pulled me out of the reading doldrums. Despite the inevitable deaths, to me, it sounds like Herriot had the ultimate career and a life blessed with love and humor. "Tricki Woo" and his owner, Mrs. Pumphrey, never fail to make me laugh. The airs Mrs. P puts on and the personality traits she gives her dog are hilarious. "Roddy Travers & Jake" is one that also stood out for me. Roddy seemed, to me, to have the perfect, s ...more
Dayla
If you knew my dog, Gracie, you would know why people grow up to be veterinarians. Herriot certainly has an appealing way with animals. He holds them close to his heart.

I read a chapter from this book to 4th graders. It was too hard for them, and the lesson totally bombed, but I still loved reading that book to those kids because it made me feel loving, too. This book has that kind of affect.
Peg
Jan 10, 2009 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad recommended this book, and I'm so glad I read it. It consists of many short stories written by a country veterinarian, who travels throughout his district in rural England taking care of various animals. His favorites are dogs, and that's what this book is about. Highly recommended for any animal lover!
Jenn Finlay
Jul 02, 2013 Jenn Finlay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vet during the 1930s-70s is viewing all the cases he has had with dogs. There is about 50 stories. Some stories are funny but some are full of despair. I recommend this to dog lovers and people who want to be vets. As I was reading it I learnt a few things about dog diseases and how to diagnose them. The genre is comedy, despair and real life.
Ehlana
May 14, 2013 Ehlana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
adorably cute
Nani
Jan 02, 2016 Nani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read! A bunch (50!) of old stories that made me happy and sad and happy again. James Herriot was a great writer and clearly... an amazing vet!
Jim
This is the wrong edition. I had these on CD & we listened to them in the car a couple of times during long trips. Even though we remembered most of these from the books, they were still great.
Kalin Magruder
Jul 17, 2012 Kalin Magruder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love loved this book. Sincerely heartwarming and Herriot's writing style is just wonderful.
Barbara Baird
Jan 04, 2017 Barbara Baird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this short story format and all the goodness therein-- of the dogs and of the people found in Yorkshire.
Lori
Mar 15, 2017 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read :)
Cynthia Kauffmann
This is the 3rd time I have read it. My paperback book is toast. I ordered a hardcover book. Must have.
Ewangelinea
Jan 16, 2017 Ewangelinea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a huge fan of Herriot`s stories since 1986. ...more
Rose
Jan 05, 2017 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read for dog lovers, this book is charming and funny
Sarah Hollars
Dec 26, 2016 Sarah Hollars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each story a small warm pebble of bittersweet love and joy to carry in one's pocket throughout one's life.
Karen
Sep 18, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite collection of dog stories, hands down. If you like dogs, are in the veterinary profession, or just like heartwarming tales, this is the book for you.
Anastasia Ervina
May 18, 2016 Anastasia Ervina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memang, perlu waktu yang cukup lama bagi saya untuk melahap habis buku setebal 623 halaman ini. Dan itu sungguh jarang terjadi. Namun, bukan berarti saya tidak menikmati kisah-kisah di dalamnya.

Kisah-kisah yang dirangkum James Herriot selaku dokter hewan ini sungguh memukau. Bahkan, beberapa kisah sukses membuat saya menitikkan air mata. Sebut saja dua di antaranya adalah 'Theo, si Terrier Kedai Minum' dan 'Digger'.

Kedua cerita tersebut menyorot hal yang sama; manfaat terapeutik dari memiliki h
2015 Reading Chal...: James Herriot's Dog Stories by James Herriot 13 40 Jan 05, 2015 08:20PM
  • Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul: Stories of Canine Companionship, Comedy and Courage (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Last Dog on the Hill: The Extraordinary Life of Lou
  • Saving Gracie: How One Dog Escaped the Shadowy World of American Puppy Mills
  • Dogs I Have Met: And The People They Found
  • Dogs Never Lie About Love: Reflections on the Emotional World of Dogs
  • The Dogs of Bedlam Farm: An Adventure with Sixteen Sheep, Three Dogs, Two Donkeys, and Me
  • Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
  • DogTown: Tales of Rescue, Rehabilitation, and Redemption
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Out of Harm's Way
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Good Owners, Great Dogs
  • Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog
  • What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...