Start by marking “Warleggan (Poldark, #4)” as Want to Read:
Warleggan (Poldark, #4)

Warleggan (The Poldark Saga #4)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  947 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Cornwall, 1792-1793

Ross Poldark plunges into a speculative mining venture which threatens his financial security and his stormy marriage to Demelza. When the old attraction between Ross and Elizabeth begins to rekindle itself, Demelza retaliates by becoming dangerously involved with a Scottish cavalry officer.
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published May 12th 1978 by Ballantine Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Warleggan, please sign up.

Caz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Laurie
I've given the 4th book in the Poldark series a 5 star rating.

The Poldark's continue to struggle along as Ross sinks every last penny he owns in a last ditch effort to revive the played out mine Wheal Grace, with his cousin Francis as his partner. The treacherous George Warleggan attempts to destroy Ross's life at every opportunity but thanks to a kind deed from an anonymous Good Samaritan he manages to thwart Warleggan's schemes.

(view spoiler)
Diane Lynn
Another excellent addition to the Poldark series. Each book covers about two years of day to day life. Graham's writing is top notch as he portrays life in 1790's Cornwall. This book had a couple of devastating (to me) events occur that I really don't want to even hint at, that would be spoiling. There were high points as well. Worth every one of those 5 stars.
I am torn about this installment in the series. The writing continues to be excellent, and the majority of the plot was entertaining. HOWEVER, I'm not sure I can enjoy the continuing storyline ever again after one of the main characters acted so unforgivably, horribly wrong at one point in the story.
KOMET
The Poldark saga continues, spanning the years 1792-94. Ross and his cousin Francis are trying to keep afloat a mine that they have maintained for some time. But Ross is hard put to get the necessary additional financing and finds himself falling deeper in debt. George Warleggan firmly establishes himself in Cornish society and as an economic powerholder in Cornwall.

The growing power and influence of Warleggan throughout the novel is highlighted, as are the lives of Ross & Demelza, Francis
Karen
Wish I could give 6 stars for this book. The whole Poldark series is a literary set of gems but this is a standout piece of writing.

I cried reading parts of this book, something very rare for me.

Warleggan has to be one of the most heart wrenching books I have read, it is a beautifully written study of a marriage in crisis - this book shows how cruel people can unwittingly be to those who love them. Winston Graham shows the betrayal,the anger, the disgust - heightened emotions of self doubt, re
Lianne
Another fine installment of the Poldark series, although this one broke my heart "Ross, how could you?!"
Claire Maycock
This is still a gripping story but I rate it less highly than the previous books in the series because the character of Ross really jumps the shark towards the end and does something that I just can't see as credible.

I've said in previous reviews that these books are inevitably dated but in this volume there are such massive double-standards that it became a real distraction. Still worth a read but be forewarned!
Andrea
Debbie
Yet more woes in the lives of Ross and Demelza. Francis and Ross finally find their old friendship. Dwight confesses his love for Caroline and plan to elope against her uncle's wishes but are thwarted when he finds out who the spy is and goes to help save the smugglers.
Elizabeth is now a widow casting her life at Ross, for 10 years she has been undecided on who and what she wants. Finally she agrees to marry George and writes to tell Ross. He in a temper tries to leave but Demelza stops him know
Lisbeth
Poldark series; Ross, Demelza, Jeremy and Warleggan by Winston Graham

Addictive! This is the word to describe what happens when you start reading the first book in this
series. Winston Graham has written historical fiction at its best. Cornwall in the end of the 18th century, where people are mainly depending on the tin and copper mines.

The story starts when Ross, a young man from the higher classes, but without money, comes back after having fought in the American wars. Being rather disillusioned
Rebecca Huston
Finally, the rest of the series has been released in e-book format. Yippee! I read the first half of the series years and years ago when the first adaptation was made for television.

Warleggan picks up right where the third book ends, and is this one a roller coaster ride. There's mining, smuggling, a riotous house party, a near elopement, and some pretty intense psychological drama. I was pleasantly surprised at how much the dynamics change in this, and there are some real relationship changes i
Susan
So far the most intriguing. The series builds. It is wonderful! Of the characters - sometimes you want to hit Ross over the head even though he's enchanting, and sometimes you want to do the same to Elizabeth because she is not! Not a fan of Elizabeth!
Jeanne Johnston
Lots of things start to pay off here, but also some huge disappointments... Francis, Ross, and... well, Elizabeth was always a bitch, wasn't she? But Verity's life is mostly on track (we have yet to see the new stepdaughter get over herself), and then there's the mine. For good measure, George gets knocked on his arse a couple of times. I'm really hoping there's a good heart attack or stroke in his future.

Brief because I have two books to go and the new series starts this weekend. Whee!
Maryanne
The Poldarks are still gripping me - fantastic landscapes, amazing characters, love the history of Cornwall, the action, unlikely friendships and the hero that is Ross Poldark.
Emma Wackrow
The best book of the Poldark series in terms of twists and turns, shocks and surprises. The focus is very much on romantic relationships and reveals much about the personalities of the key characters. While this is a lot of fun, I think Graham's strengths are his writing on the inequalities in society, his observations on both the "gentry" and the miners/villagers, which is not as much of a focus in this instalment of the Poldark saga. Also while I did enjoy it very much, there was a point in th ...more
Helena R-D
I got hooked on this because of the new BBC serial. The Poldark books were ones I ALWAYS saw in the secondhand shops in Edmonton (In the UK fiction, believe it or not. I always wondered how they managed to get so many UK specific titles in Canada) with the 1975 serial covers. Although these are books that are just my type, I never picked them up until now.

They are light, quick reads with snappy dialogue, good characters (George Warleggan is a complete twit, but he is a great villain and understa
Joan
It took me awhile to begin enjoying this series when I began the first book. I hadn't read a period piece in quite awhile. After reading Warleggan I am totally hooked.

The narrative is rich, the characters full dimensional and the back drop of historical events only add to the drama. Mr. Graham's accounts of mining in Cornwall and life there have led me to look up various points of interest while reading his books. He has well researched the Poldark world.

I can't imagine waiting 20 years for the
Jayne dArcy
Linda Boyd
Amanda
Oh, Warleggan, how you break my heart! This book was significantly darker than the first three Poldark novels. I understand the first four books were written around the same time, but this one seems extra contrived and extra infused with out of character drama.

The first three served an excellent arc, but this began a whole new adventure that did not match the motivations of the characters in the first three. There is a lot of emotional tragedy and disappointment in this novel and I don't recall
Debbi
Andrew
This is the fourth part of this saga and covers the period 1792-1793.

Ross and Demelza Poldark now have a son, Jeremy who is a year old. Ross and Francis, his cousin are now in business together.

The pace of this book does not disappoint. Ross and Jeremy are struggling to make their joint venture work. Is this because of the financial interference of someone in the Warleggan family?

Fresh pressure on the smuggling front. Suddenly an anonymous benefactor pulls Ross's mine back from the brink, why? H
Kate Sherrod
The most soap operatic Poldark novel so far. Star-crossed lovers! Business ups and business downs! Tragedy! Smuggling! INFIDELITY! And the ridiculous, tempestuous beauty of Cornwall. What the hell more do you want?
Karen
Twenty years. That's how long the original readers had to wait between Warleggan and the fifth book -- The Black Moon. I can only imagine the glee they must have felt when it was discovered that Graham had decided to revisit the Poldarks. I normally don't read series in immediate succession and, originally, had no intention of doing so this time. It's just been too good, though, so once I had finished Demelza I went straight into Jeremy and then straight into Warleggan. I will take some time bef ...more
Lydia
Another fantastic book in the Poldark saga. I am a huge fan of the TV series and reading the books is an extra treat because of how often we get to read the thoughts of the characters. In this book there is a great deal lost and great deal gained. I will admit that even though I knew it was coming (view spoiler) ...more
Helen White
Right so I knew what was coming in this book and I'd read all the reviews saying how terrible Ross is etc. This is still a brilliant book, the relationship between Ross and Demelza is fascinating and still in keeping with what has gone on before. Elizabeth and George are still the characters I hate the most while Dwight and Caroline are gaining more ground.
Michelle Connor
A brilliant read again from Winston Graham. The fourth book in the series of 12.

Ross has put all his money into re-starting the mine, on a hunch that Mark Daniels stated that he thought the mine still held a fortune.

Ross ignites his affair with Elizabeth risking his marriage to Demelza. George Warleggan watching Ross's every move. What will Demelza do? Will Henry invest with his cousin? Will George exact his revenge? All very exciting, cannot wait for the next instalment.
Marilyn Cantrell
Love the series !!

Finding this series was like discovering treasure!! Background, characters, story line....all enthralling
and addictive. In the fine tradition of the greatest historical fiction writers of yesteryear !
Jackie Machardy
This next book (#4) in the Poldark Saga continues to satisfy. These are stormy times for all our beloved characters but Winston Graham unspools his powder-keg of a story with thought, grace and humanity. Can't wait to dive into book #5!
Sandra
Just as good to re-read as the previous three. Hopefully I can drop this current obsession with this addictive re-reading and read something else; like one of the seven books received this week.
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • The Passionate Brood
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • Anne Boleyn
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Flight of the Falcon
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • Savannah Purchase
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Marianne (Marianne, #1)
  • The Blackstone Key
  • Rebellion (Matthew Hawkwood, #4)
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • The Telling
  • The Queen's Husband (Queen Victoria, #3)
  • Penmarric
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1) Demelza (Poldark, #2) Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3) The Black Moon (Poldark, #5) The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)

“When you bring an idealised relationship down to the level of an ordinary one it isn't necessarily the ordinary one that suffers'.” 17 likes