Start by marking “Warleggan (Poldark, #4)” as Want to Read:
Warleggan (Poldark, #4)

Warleggan (The Poldark Saga #4)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  3,955 Ratings  ·  311 Reviews
The gripping fourth novel in Winston Graham's classic Poldark saga, the major TV series from Masterpiece on PBS.

When Ross Poldark plunges into a highly speculative mining venture, he risks not only his family's financial security but also his already-turbulent marriage. When his old flame Elizabeth Warleggan re-enters his life, Ross is tested like never before. But soon, h
Mass Market Paperback, 346 pages
Published May 12th 1978 by Ballantine Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Warleggan, please sign up.

Sonia Koonce No. Demelza realizes Ross is the only man for her, (really loves him) she leaves the house without anyone noticing. This episodes becomes quite…moreNo. Demelza realizes Ross is the only man for her, (really loves him) she leaves the house without anyone noticing. This episodes becomes quite hilarious after she leaves. Anxious to see how this is acted out. Do read the book, you will have a laugh ☺(less)
Tanya Is it really "slut shaming" or just lack of sympathy? Winston Graham doesn't give us more insight into her character until The Four Swans and The…moreIs it really "slut shaming" or just lack of sympathy? Winston Graham doesn't give us more insight into her character until The Four Swans and The Angry Tide. Up to that point, we see her mostly through the filters of the other characters: primarily Ross and Demelza. What was her motivation in telling Ross that she still loved him and had made a mistake in choosing Francis? Did she later act in a way that she thought would lure Ross to her? Did she change her mind when confronted with the angry, jealous Ross? How did she feel that night after Ross left? We see NONE of that from her point of view. Readers are led to feel what the author wants them to feel and there was little effort on Winston Graham's part for us to feel sympathy for Elizabeth. He did a far better job leading us to Demelza's feelings of loss and betrayal. If one is honest, WG depicts Ross as an imperfect person who makes many mistakes. I personally love Ross the character BECAUSE he's flawed. I muttered "Ross, you ass" more times than I can count while reading the series. But I also believe in redemption (in real-life and fiction) and I think Ross's later dealings with Elizabeth, George, and Valentine are meant to redeem him. (less)

Karen
Feb 22, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

OMFG! I am so hopelessly lost in this series!!! I cannot believe this was written by a man. I so would have loved to have know Winston Graham. A rare exceptional man, I expect. Sensational writing.
``Laurie
I've given the 4th book in the Poldark series a 5 star rating.

The Poldark's continue to struggle along as Ross sinks every last penny he owns into a last ditch effort to revive the played out mine Wheal Grace, with his cousin Francis as his partner. The treacherous George Warleggan attempts to destroy Ross's life at every opportunity but thanks to a kind deed from an anonymous Good Samaritan he manages to thwart Warleggan's schemes.

(view spoiler)
Karen
Jun 26, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could give 6 stars for this book. The whole Poldark series is a literary set of gems but this is a standout piece of writing.

I cried reading parts of this book, something very rare for me.

Warleggan has to be one of the most heart wrenching books I have read, it is a beautifully written study of a marriage in crisis - this book shows how cruel people can unwittingly be to those who love them. Winston Graham shows the betrayal,the anger, the disgust - heightened emotions of self doubt, re
Samantha
Jun 06, 2017 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fourth installment of the series, an unexpected tragedy sets of a series of events that could prove disastrous for Ross and his family. When his long-time sweetheart Elizabeth announces that she will remarry to Ross's long-time nemesis George Warleggan, Ross makes a decision in a random moment of anger that threatens to destroy his and Demelza's relationship forever. Can Demelza forgive Ross, or will she try and hurt him in the same way? This book was thrilling installment full of betray ...more
I am torn about this installment in the series. The writing continues to be excellent, and the majority of the plot was entertaining. HOWEVER, I'm not sure I can enjoy the continuing storyline ever again after one of the main characters acted so unforgivably, horribly wrong at one point in the story.
Sønia
Este libro necesita echarle de comer aparte... Menudos cabreos me he pillado con él. Pero justamente eso es lo que más he disfrutado. Warleggan es un libro de esos que no te deja indiferente, que te hace querer "tirar personajes por los acantilados" (eh Gema? xDDD), te hace echar humo por las orejas y que la bilis se te salga por la boca. No exagero.
He de decir que para leer este libro hay que tener muy, muy claro, pero muy muy mucho, el contexto histórico en que transcurre y también el año en
Lisazj1
This one was the biggest emotional rollercoaster so far, for me. Lots of highs and lows for our beloved Ross and Demelza, as well as some dear friends. Though there were things here that made me furious at least (view spoiler), so I would be happy for that if nothing else.

This family has me completely ensnared in their lives! I'll be soon picking up The Black Moon, b
Inés Izal
Feb 07, 2017 Inés Izal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Ahora mismo estoy en la mierda más absoluta.

¿Cómo han podido llegar a esto?
¿Cómo han podido hacerme esto?
Estoy en shock.
Piper
Aug 26, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, re-read
"It's nearly twelve," he said. "Let us sit up awhile and call it Christmas tonight."

Five stars once again. Winston Graham's writing just never gets old. I truly believe I could read these novels until I've memorized every word and still find them just as raw and emotional as if reading them for the first time.
Diane Lynn
Another excellent addition to the Poldark series. Each book covers about two years of day to day life. Graham's writing is top notch as he portrays life in 1790's Cornwall. This book had a couple of devastating (to me) events occur that I really don't want to even hint at, that would be spoiling. There were high points as well. Worth every one of those 5 stars.
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Este libro ha sido una montaña rusa de emociones. He sufrido y lo he pasado fatal fatal como únicamente lo he pasado con "El jardín de verano". Aquí he acabado odiando a personajes que adoraba y queriendo más aún a otros, Demelza y Dwight sobre todo.
Este es escritor no tiene consideración alguna con el sufrido lector.
Una fucking maravilla de libro.
Lianne
Apr 07, 2015 Lianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine installment of the Poldark series, although this one broke my heart "Ross, how could you?!"
Michele
Jan 26, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
This has been the best one so far for me. I was completely caught up in this book and had a hard time putting it down.
To say I was disappointed in Mr. Ross Poldark's behavior would be the understatement of the year. Wondered if I could really keep reading but I did and loved the ending.
I am becoming dangerously obsessed with these people and their lives.

Winston Graham, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting my through the dreadful winter of 2015. You absolutely made it bearable an
KOMET
The Poldark saga continues, spanning the years 1792-94. Ross and his cousin Francis are trying to keep afloat a mine that they have maintained for some time. But Ross is hard put to get the necessary additional financing and finds himself falling deeper in debt. George Warleggan firmly establishes himself in Cornish society and as an economic powerholder in Cornwall.

The growing power and influence of Warleggan throughout the novel is highlighted, as are the lives of Ross & Demelza, Francis
Sarah-Vita
Ugggghh!!!! This book was a roller coaster!! From "Ross, you idiot!" to "My poor Demelza," to "Oh no, Ross!" and back again!! I was so cared for the ending, but it was beautiful! I cried a few times reading this, and again at the end! I don't want to spoil this one for anyone, because it's such a huge plot twist in the series... but I think this may be my favorite Poldark novel so far!!
So anxious for Aidan and Eleanor to return to it in Series 2 this September! Gaaaahh!!!
Mary
Mar 06, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better for re-reading!

Ross Poldark's last gamble ......
He risks his happiness with Demelza as he tangles with the powerful Warleggan.

A very moving book with twists and turns over love.
I would recommend reading as the Poldark books have so much social history and are beautifully written.

A powerful moving book!
I loved it!
Marilyn
Dec 15, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeanne Johnston
May 24, 2015 Jeanne Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of things start to pay off here, but also some huge disappointments... Francis, Ross, and... well, Elizabeth was always a bitch, wasn't she? But Verity's life is mostly on track (we have yet to see the new stepdaughter get over herself), and then there's the mine. For good measure, George gets knocked on his arse a couple of times. I'm really hoping there's a good heart attack or stroke in his future.

Brief because I have two books to go and the new series starts this weekend. Whee!
Susan
Jul 14, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far the most intriguing. The series builds. It is wonderful! Of the characters - sometimes you want to hit Ross over the head even though he's enchanting, and sometimes you want to do the same to Elizabeth because she is not! Not a fan of Elizabeth!
Ana.en_las_nubes
intento que un libro no me afecte, en este caso ha sido inevitable, si tuviera delante a más de un personaje no se como reaccionaría. Demelza es una heroína ahí lo dejo.
Geo Kwnstantinou
Poor Francis...
Oh Ross what did you do???!!!!
Tanya
In this, the fourth installment of the Poldark series, George Warleggan intersects further into the Poldark circle. Fortunately, the book still centers around Ross and Demelza, with Dr. Dwight Enys continuing as a very important secondary storyline. If one were to judge Ross and Dwight on their merits--I think Dwight comes out as the more honorable. Because of the superb writing, the characters act in ways that are completely within the boundaries of plausibility. The events and actions may occa ...more
Ann
After reading a particular incident within this book especially, my opinion of Ross Poldark has darkened greatly. Listening to people brush it off as a folly of poor character is sickening.
QNPoohBear
This so far is the lowest point for the Poldarks. The country is still deep in a depression and the Poldarks sunk with it. Try as they might, they can not get Wheal Grace to yield anything profitable. With France in chaos and war imminent, the price of copper should soon rise-if they can find anyway. Only Mark Daniel might know the secret, but he's far away and unable to return. Ross and Demelza still haven't reconnected after the loss of sweet Julia, despite little Jeremy crowing away in the co ...more
Oct 08, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Might get spoilery)
Gaaahhh!! This one was tough but I am glad I stuck it through. I had the advantage of being prepared for the hardship of this one so I wasn't as blindsided as some others but it by no means made it much easier. Ross let me down big time-he's the HERO. However, even heroes make mistakes and while I can never excuse what he did, if it in ANY way helped get Elizabeth out of his system then I can accept it a little easier. I also didn't mind demelza flirting the way she did too b
Sara
Feb 01, 2017 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisbeth
Apr 13, 2015 Lisbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-fiction
Poldark series; Ross, Demelza, Jeremy and Warleggan by Winston Graham

Addictive! This is the word to describe what happens when you start reading the first book in this
series. Winston Graham has written historical fiction at its best. Cornwall in the end of the 18th century, where people are mainly depending on the tin and copper mines.

The story starts when Ross, a young man from the higher classes, but without money, comes back after having fought in the American wars. Being rather disillusioned
Andrea
Jun 08, 2017 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't want to read this one. I am not a fan of George! But I am a fan of the Poldark series, this urged me on. Not disappointed and am still hooked.
ZaRi
Sep 07, 2015 ZaRi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Demelza. So maybe this book for me and others like me who love Demelza is disgusting because in this book we find Demelza is heartbroken. This book is the fourth one of twelve Cornwall series. As I said before in my Jeremey Poldark 's review ( the third book of these series),in that book the writer prepared us to happening in this book especially the scene of sleeping Ross with Elizabeth. The interesting point about this it is still in ambiguity for me as a reader Ross really ra ...more
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 4 79 Jun 10, 2017 07:54AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Reviews 6 33 Jun 07, 2017 11:01AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Francis 16 67 Jun 06, 2017 10:36AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Favorites 6 34 Nov 08, 2016 10:55AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 4 30 Oct 13, 2016 03:28PM
Poldark Saga discussion group 1 5 Nov 24, 2015 12:04PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • With All My Heart
  • The women of Eden (Eden #4)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Heaven Tree (Heaven Tree, #1)
  • Mary Anne
  • London: The Autobiography
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3)
  • Lily Cigar
  • The Story of English: How an Obscure Dialect Became the World's Most-Spoken Language
  • The Disorderly Knights (The Lymond Chronicles, #3)
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Anne Boleyn
  • Penmarric
  • Marianne (Marianne, #1)
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Demelza (Poldark, #2)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)

“When you bring an idealised relationship down to the level of an ordinary one it isn't necessarily the ordinary one that suffers'.” 36 likes
“If you wish to discover a man's true feelings, it is always best to provoke him.” 11 likes