Start by marking “The Victors: Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II” as Want to Read:
The Victors: Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II

The Victors: Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,764 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From America's preeminent military historian, Stephen E. Ambrose, comes a brilliant telling of the war in Europe, from D-Day, June 6, 1944, to the end, eleven months later, on May 7, 1945. This authoritative narrative account is drawn by the author himself from his five acclaimed books about that conflict, most particularly from the definitive and comprehensive "D-Day" and...more
Published November 2nd 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Victors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Victors

Michele
You know it was bad, but just how awful? It is tough to read some of these stories. I knew about trench foot, but our own army not supplying men with warm enough clothes? It was truly shameful. I enjoyed the first 250 pages, but the real, true suffering starts after that and I will never feel the same about what happened after D-Day and how difficult it was for those that chose to stay the course. I found his writing riveting and couldn't put it down at times.

Page 54 on Ike's decision making: "...more
Wilson
I bought this book in an airport and while reading it I was like, "Wait a minute, I've read this before." Turns out it's nothing but a crappy cut and paste job of Ambrose's books made into one long-ass book. But I was stuck on a plane and read it all anyway because if there's one thing I like to stubbornly cultivate when in enclosed spaces for long periods of time, it's spite. Screw you, book.
Michael Gerald Dealino
Having not read the other books of Stephen Ambrose on the Second World War, I find this volume that features sections from his various books on the subject good, as it still presents the continuity of the big story.
Venky
Another spellbinding work from the stable of one of the most authentic military historians of our time. In this glittering patchwork gleaned from his earlier works such as"Citizen Soldiers"; "Band of Brothers" and "Pegasus" Ambrose relives the remarkable resilience characterising the millions of young and brave Allied soldiers - the resilience that ultimately led to the world being a better place to live in. Every page resonates with vitality and reverberates with vibrant emotions. The unparalle...more
Dhiraj Sharma
Winners write history as can be inferred after reading this excellent book by Stephen Ambrose. I would have rated it 5 starts had Mr Ambrose not resorted to the gung ho, swaggering mentality of the Victors by making statements like "The German soldiers trained in the Hitler Youth were no match for American soldiers trained in the Boy scouts"

C'mon Mr Ambrose...You also know that unlike Hitler Youth (Hitler Jugend), Boy scouts is not a military or semi military organisation and we all know why Ger...more
Urey Patrick
An enjoyable read - basically an elementary history of the European campaign from D-Day to surrender, fle3shed out with lots of personal accounts and narratives that personalize combat in Europe at the front line level. I would consider this an abridged version of his previous book "Citizen Soldiers". Ambrose is almost hagiographic in his admiration for the front line soldier - the infantryman, his NCOs and his junior officers - justifi9ably so. The vast losses they suffered are almost unimagina...more
Will Yumoto
I gave this 5 stars, as it was the first Ambrose book I've read. As many other reviews point out, apparently this one rehashes a lot of material from several other of his books. But since I haven't read any of them (yet), I have yet to be disappointed in his pacing or his ability to bring the reader back in time, right alongside the men and women of his history. Maybe I'll re-rate this when I get through other titles, but I doubt it, since it stands on its own as a great historical summation. Al...more
Nathan
Sep 17, 2007 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: We like Ike.
Shelves: biography, history
Stephen E. Ambrose has written some of the most important histories of our time, and his documentations of WWII and in particularly Eisenhower have been both historically important and poignant. For readers already engrossed by Ambrose's works, The Victors may be a bit repetitive, especially if one has read Ambrose's other works about WWII. But for those looking for a good encapsulation of Eisenhower's war years, this is an important study, and like all books about Eisenhower, it gives further b...more
Sean Pfile
Great story of our boys marching to Berlin.
Jimmie Kepler
The Victors: Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II by Stephen E. Ambrose is essentially a cut and paste compilation of D-DAY, Citizen Soldiers, Eisenhower, and Band of Brothers. If you have read any of Stephen Ambrose's works on World War II, then this one is not worth the time. It has so much material covered in his lengthier works.

It is better to read D-DAY, Citizen Soldiers, Eisenhower, Band of Brothers.and The Wild Blue and to skip this book altogether. Read in 2005 by Jimmie A. K...more
Quinn Wright
Really good read. The depth of insight and research that goes into every Stephen Ambrose is always impressive to me. The recurring idea that I really liked from this book is the idea that the biggest deciding factor on the side of the American forces was the embrace of individual initiative, and the ability for low level leaders to make decisions and effectively lead their men.

Sons of Democracy, for Ambrose, are better prepared to succeed in modern war than sons of tyranny.
Jrobertus
This is another of Stephen Ambrose's tributes to the fighting men of the ETO in WWII. It reminded me of Citizen Soldiers and did not really add much to that narrative. In this book, Ambrose brings in a bit more about the generals, Eisenhower in particular, but mostly it was more stories from the trenches. I will say that some of the information about Ike gave me a greater appreciation for him as a warrior and a man; he seems to be a greatly underestimated figure in our history.
Mark
I, like many readers, found some sections very familiar. In fact, they were the sections from Ambrose's previous books, of which I had read one. So I can't recommend this book as the the sections from the other books don't really go together all that well. It is like that episode on TV that is a conglomerate of other episodes from the same series. No one likes those semi-reruns, and your better of reading the other Ambrose books than this Frankenstein book.
Paula
Great book..oddly read on Veteran's Day! The focus on eye witness accounts made it real enough to make me cry over the young men who lost their lives because of administrative decisions that had them carrying packs that sank them at Omaha beach or that opted for more replacement troops rather than winter boots. I marveled at how the leaders worked across nations and the opinion of the foot soldiers of their leadership. I would read more Ambrose.
Frances Fuller
This book read as a hodge-podge of facts that he did not include in his previous books. Since I gave his other books 5 stars, this was very discouraging. He couldn't seem to figure out if Eisenhower was the greatest loser or winner of WWII. So many quotes, so many names, and a preachy final chapter, it probably does not deserve 3 stars, but hey, it is Stephen Ambrose and that is worth at least one star on its own.
Bob Price
This is a good book as an introduction to Ambrose and his books on WW2. The book contains collected segments from his books on Eisenhower, Easy Company and Citizen soldiers. If you have read those books, you may want to bypass this one, although it was neat to see all the story lines intertwined. If you haven't read those, it's a great introduction to Ambrose's work and will hopefully spur you on to read others.
Pat Murray
Just finished this. This about the seventh Ambrose WWII book I have read and one of the best. He writes about the main Generals, Eisenhower, Montgomery, Bradley and Patton.

He REALLY focuses on the normal soldier (Young Officers and enlisted men.) He talks about the horrific conditions they went through and the heroics they did. Very Good book 4 1/2 stars.
Al
Ambrose is one of the most highly regarded historical war writers around because of the way he uses interviews and historical documents to dramatise past battles. A well-deserved reputation. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers/ for he today who sheds his blood with me/ shall be my brother" (From the spear-shaker's Henry five, c1599.)
David
a greatest hits compilation of Stephen Ambrose's war works, taking some from each of his best sellers. It was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone.

Zack
I love the stories from World War II, and when it is written by a terrific author, even better. Ambrose does such a thorough job and delves into great details about the stories of these soldiers. It's as if you are there watching through their eyes and seeing the action first hand.
Joel Burgess
Excellent book. Gives a great overview of the European theater of World War II. Also the author adds personal accounts of both allied and axis personal. The results are outstanding. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in learning about World War II.
Brian
It's a great sample serving of Mr. Ambrose's work. For those people who haven't read any of his books, this is a good way to find out which (if any of them) you'd like to read. They did a fine job of taking parts from the different books and making a concise read.
Bennett
Ambrose is always fantastic.
Eric
Another great book by Stephen Ambrose, who brings us the hero's of our great country, and shows us the men that made our country so great, and the amazing things they went through, and sacraficed for all of us to make the USA what it is today!
Floyd Garrett
It's Ambrose. You love history, you generally can sit down and share some time with Ambrose. This one covers the soldier's stories from WW II. . .If you've read Citizen Soldiers and D-Day, this book should be a slam-dunk
Paul Bork
Made feel good to be an American. What they did in WWII was an amazing feat in the history of the world. We fought a major war, not to conquer, or defend our country, but to free conquered countries.
Gary Kay
For all the critcism that Ambrose receives, this has to be one of the best single volume histories about WWII. He loves to talk about the non-coms and how pivotal they were in some of the biggest battles.
Eric
Always enjoy a good Ambrose WWII book. This one was alright, was easy to get into and read, but it rehashed a lot of his previous books, so I didn't get into it as deeply as I have in others.
Dusan Bolek
Well written, but more a tribute than history book. So one sided it reminded me classic Soviet era WWII historiography. Also includes a lot of copy/pasted material from older Ambrose's writings.
Ben
It was a pretty good read and provided a view of the surprisingly grind-it-out strategy employed after D-Day. I didn't expect such a critical and honest look at the command structure.
  • Miracle at Midway
  • Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II
  • Crusade in Europe
  • Day of Infamy
  • Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich
  • Up Front
  • Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers
  • The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath
  • The Two-Ocean War
  • Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy
  • The Last Battle
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan
  • Decision in Normandy
  • Why the Allies Won
  • Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose...
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Battle for the Normandy Beaches Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69