Start by marking “To Kill a Mockingbird” as Want to Read:
To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  3,277,432 Ratings  ·  71,241 Reviews
The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant bestseller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-winning film, also a classic.

Compassionate, dramatic, and deepl
Paperback, 50th Anniversary, 324 pages
Published May 23rd 2006 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published July 11th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about To Kill a Mockingbird, please sign up.

Samuel Edwards With all due respect, if you can't even read the entire description of the book here on Goodreads (which clearly states that it was made into a…moreWith all due respect, if you can't even read the entire description of the book here on Goodreads (which clearly states that it was made into a movie), then it is no wonder you need to cheat in your English class. I weep for the future. (less)
Katrina yes, I'm currently reading ti right now for my 9th grade English class.

Meghan
Oct 14, 2008 Meghan rated it did not like it
If I could give this no stars, I would. This is possibly one of my least favorite books in the world, one that I would happily take off of shelves and stow in dark corners where no one would ever have to read it again.

I think that To Kill A Mockingbird has such a prominent place in (American) culture because it is a naive, idealistic piece of writing in which naivete and idealism are ultimately rewarded. It's a saccharine, rose-tinted eulogy for the nineteen thirties from an orator who comes not
Kim
Mar 11, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cultured, simpatico, mmix
Why is it when I pick up To Kill A Mockingbird , I am instantly visited by a sensory memory: I’m walking home, leaves litter the ground, crunching under my feet. I smell the smoke of fireplaces and think about hot cider and the wind catches and my breath is taken from me and I bundle my coat tighter against me and lift my head to the sky, no clouds, just a stunning blue that hurts my eyes, another deep breath and I have this feeling that all is okay.

Why? Why this memory? I mean, this takes pla
Stephen
Photobucket

6.0 stars. I know I am risking a serious “FILM AT 11” moment and a club upside the head from Captain Obvious for voicing this, but nabbit dog I still think it needs to be said…TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is one of the BEST and MOST IMPORTANT American novels ever written. Okay, I said it, and I will wait patiently while you get your DUHs and DERs out of the way and hang your “no shit” signs outside for Inspector Holmes.

Okay, now given the gruntload of reviews/ratings this book has I know I’m not the f
Brina
As I finished the timeless classic To Kill a Mockingbird, I thought to myself what can I add to a review that the 2 million or so good reads reviewers have not already pointed out. I continued to think to myself about what has made the novel so beloved and decided to focus on a character trait: courage. I read Mockingbird in ninth grade English and I remember the best essay in the class focused on courage. Now reading all these years later, I see how courage is a theme throughout the book.
Harpe
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Oct 19, 2016 Catriona (LittleBookOwl) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Beautiful book.
Lit Bug
Oct 31, 2012 Lit Bug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
In the course of 5 years, I’ve read this book nearly 17 times. That adds up to reading it once at least every 4 months, on an average. And I still return to this book like a bark seeking a lighthouse in the dark. When I first finished it, I was so overwhelmed by how much I related to it, I read it nearly 8 times before the year ended. By now I’ve memorized almost every scene and I still can’t shake off the feeling that I still have to learn a lot from it. Over the years, I realize that without k ...more
Houston
Nov 13, 2007 Houston rated it it was amazing
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”(p. 20)

I love this book and this idea of reading being like breathing. As Scout did, I read early too, and often. Every night before bed I would read and still do. I saw a Twilight Zone Episode once where the main character loved to read and only wanted to be left alone to do so. After falling asleep in the vault of the bank where he worked, he awoke to a post-disaster world where only he was left. He busily gat
Denise
Dec 05, 2007 Denise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Denise by: Bookgroup
Clau R.
Dec 25, 2014 Clau R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
So... I don't really know what to say.

I think I loved this book, but for a reason beyond my understanding, it never hooked me, and it took me AGES to finish it! Some chapters (especially at the beginning) were tedious and hard for me to get through them... but then there were some chapters that I devoured (the whole Tom Robinson trial and the last ones).

I definitely learned a lesson or two from this book. Atticus is my new role model, he is really incredible. I also love Scout and Jem, those kid
Ahmad Sharabiani
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
عنوان: کشتن مرغ مینا؛ نویسنده: هارپر لی؛ مترجم: فخرالدین میررمضانی، مشخصات نشر: تهران، توس، 1370، در 378 ص؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، امیرکبیر، 1390، در 414 ص؛ شابک: 9789640013816؛ چاپ دیگر: تهران، علمی فرهنگی، 1393، در 378 ص؛ شابک: 978600121573؛
مترجم دیگر: بابک تیموریان، تهران، ناس، 1390، در 504 ص، شابک: 9789649917733؛
مترجم دیگر: روشنک ضرابی، تهران، انتشارات میلکان، 1394، در 360 ص، شابک: 9786007845196؛
باور کردنی نیست، تا امروز یعنی تا 28 دسامبر 2015 یا همان 8 دیماه 1395
Maureen
Jul 09, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing
Rereading this book as an adult made me realize how truly beautiful and wonderful it is. It will forever be one of my favorites.
Nataliya
Life gives you a few things that you can count on. Death (for all), taxes (for most), and the unwavering moral character of Atticus Finch (for me). "What would Atticus do?" is not just a meme; for eleven-year-old me it became a real consideration after I feigned an illness to cut school and stay home to finish To Kill a Mockingbird - while a decidedly non-Atticus-like move, choosing Harper Lee's book over sixth grade math was probably a wiser life choice.
For my thoughts on the shameless money gr
Helen Stavraki
Aug 05, 2015 Helen Stavraki rated it it was amazing
Τα ***** αστέρια ως ανώτερη κλίμακα αξιολόγησης γι αυτό το βιβλίο τα δίνω αποκλειστικά και μόνο για την αφήγηση σε πρώτο πρόσωπο της πρόωρα ώριμης οκταχρονης ηρωίδας και ένα άρωμα τρυφερότητας,αθωότητας,φαντασίας και ηθικής πίστης που σου μεταδίδει η συγγραφέας απο την αρχή ως το τέλος και σε κάνει να αφοσιωθεις άνευ όρων.

Δυο παιδάκια μεγαλώνουν στο Μέικομπ μια μικρή πόλη της Αλαμπάμα,γεμάτη ρατσισμό,σκληρότητα,αδικία και εμπάθεια ανάμεσα στους διαφορετικούς χαρακτηρες της.
Μπαμπάς τους ειναι μ
Lou
May 09, 2010 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A wonderful piece of literature, great characters, plot and prose. There is sadness and happiness, racism and equality, immaturity and maturity, injustice and redemption.
Atticus is a man we could all love and look up to a grounded just and fair man he sees beyond race and finds the goodness in people. His cook Calpurnia Is honest good black lady who you just gotta love in this story, she works for a nice family who are about to go through some obstacles and testing times.
A lot of the story is t
Petra Eggs
Jun 13, 2008 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing
Even in the evil times when John Crow ruled the South and the Blacks were scarcely more free than in times of slavery and were allowed no civic power nor respect from their erswhile masters who were White, good men did their best.

As regards this book, the last phrase is a lie.

Atticus, a lawyer and good and caring father, a moral man, represented a Black man accused of raping a White woman. He lost, but he'd done his best.

That last paragraph is a lie.

Atticus belonged to the KKK, thought that Bla
Ana
 photo 549370889e5af363f22fb3aef2f3132e_zps5pujw59x.jpg

Best book ever written? Best book ever written.
Rishi
Aug 05, 2007 Rishi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Paul O'Neill
Mar 24, 2017 Paul O'Neill rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this amazing book that hasn’t already been said? I think The Guardian said it best– 'To Kill a Mockingbird will never stop being a good book, and it will never stop inspiring good people'

The story is told from the point of view of Scout (Jean-Louise Finch), a six year old girl, through various events that happen in the town of Maycomb and in particular, the court case of Tom Robinson as her father Atticus Finch acts as Tom’s defence lawyer. Tom, a black man who has been accu
Mona
I read this book a long time ago, when I was ten years old. I remembered nothing from it except thinking it was really, really good. And here I am, thirteen years later. I picked it up again because I was curious about what my reaction would be to it now.

The book follows three years in the life of Scout Finch, her brother Jem, their father Atticus, and their fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama, in the era of the Great Depression. The first half of the novel focuses mainly on Scout and Jem's child
Wendy Darling
Our June classics book! Discussion on the blog Friday 6/26, in preparation for the sequel releasing in July.

My re-read is on audio, with Sissy Spacek as narrator.
Fabian
Dec 16, 2013 Fabian rated it really liked it
Thus it becomes crystal clear why this classic is a must for kids. Surely it stands on an even shelf with the Harry Potter series; it's ripe with conventions that can be cracked open in the classroom, where the love for literature begins for most American children. The emblematic character of Atticus Finch is a great figure--mysterious, righteous, progressive...completely just and good. Intelligent. As is Scout, the precocious girl who filters all the goings on in her sleepy Alabama town.

It is a
s.penkevich

Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird is an undisputed classic that few will avoid having read in their lifetime, and those few are to be pitied. As I habe presentation of the novel coming up this weekend, a discussion group that I am lucky enough to be allowed to lead as part of the The Big Read here in Holland, Michigan, I felt it necessary to revisit
Lawyer
To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee's Novel of Integrity and Duty in the Face of Intolerance and Injustice

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.-- Atticus Finch”

Photobucket

Harper Lee, born 1926, 86

When Harper Lee published To Kill a Mockingbird in 1960 a few well known Southern authors had a few tart things to say about it.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

What begins as apparently just an affectionate and humorous tale of life in an Alabama town in the 1930s, and the personalities and quirks of the people who live there, gradually evolves into an amazing and powerful read, as young Scout becomes aware of her father's representation of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of raping a white woman, and the town's general attitude about that, which spills over into their treatment of Scout and her brother.

description

From an attorney's point of view, the trial of
Mateo
Jun 04, 2015 Mateo rated it really liked it
Tengo la gran suerte de vivir en el caluroso, pintoresco y quizás olvidado estado de Alabama. Suerte por un lado, porque pude empatizar de una manera muy especial con los personajes, el entorno y la trama de la novela. Pero también, porque he podido ser testigo de las heridas que han dejado los años de discriminación y segregación que ha y sigue recibiendo un grupo de personas en los Estados Unidos. Es por eso, que la novela que terminé entre el trayecto de Louisiana y Alabama, fue muy especial ...more
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 30, 2012 Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Idealists, or just plain lovers of a good yarn
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Kelly
I avoided reading this, wary of all the hype, seen the movie - so if you’re one of the few who hasn’t read it I promise not to harass you by proclaiming that ‘you must!’ If the mood ever strikes though I bet you’ll love it. What convinced me was when a young interracial couple I know had their 1st child and she insisted on naming him Atticus. At first her husband hated the name, that is until he read the book... Then his enthusiasm was so infectious it got to me, that and curiosity. Why does it ...more
Diane
Aug 14, 2007 Diane rated it it was amazing
OK, everyone needs to stop what they're doing and go find a copy of Sissy Spacek reading this book. I am not exaggerating when I say it is the best audiobook performance I have ever heard.

I have read To Kill a Mockingbird perhaps 10 or 12 times in my life, and it is one of my favorite books, but this was the first time I listened to it. Sissy was the perfect narrator for Scout, and she also did a fantastic job at all of the other voices. If you like audiobooks, this is a must-listen. (And if an
Darth J
Well, I never read this as a teen. The reason being that my middle school didn’t think it was appropriate to put in our reading curriculum, probably due to rape (view spoiler). So with the sequel about to come out, I decided to finally read this one. I wanted to go to Barnes and Noble and get their special leather-bound edition of it, but was told that it was no longer available. I bought it on Amaz ...more
Henry Avila
Oct 26, 2011 Henry Avila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alabama, the U.S.A., 1935, during the crippling, bleak, Great Depression, Atticus Finch, a widower, struggling lawyer, and ultimate believer in justice for everybody, (a gentleman, if ever there was one) is raising two small children, Scout, (Jean Louise) and Jem, (Jeremy), a typical American boy, he likes to have fun, in the fictitious, mostly quiet, small southern town of Maycomb. The siblings are unusually close, the father is absent often, being a politician in the legislature, in Montgomery ...more
  • Little Women (Little Women, #1)
  • Persuasion
  • Cyrano de Bergerac
  • The Age of Innocence
  • Snow Falling on Cedars
  • Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters & Seymour: An Introduction
  • Walden & Civil Disobedience
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I
  • War and Peace
  • I, Claudius (Claudius, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Hedda Gabler
  • Night
  • A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again:  Essays and Arguments
  • The Corrections
  • The Land
  • The Robe
Harper Lee, known as Nelle, was born in the Alabama town of Monroeville, the youngest of four children of Amasa Coleman Lee and Frances Cunningham Finch Lee. Her father, a former newspaper editor and proprietor, was a lawyer who served on the state legislature from 1926 to 1938. As a child, Lee was a tomboy and a precocious reader, and enjoyed the friendship of her schoolmate and neighbor, the you ...more
More about Harper Lee...

To Kill a Mockingbird (2 books)
  • Go Set a Watchman

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 15680 likes
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” 11782 likes