Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Rumi: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)” as Want to Read:
Rumi: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Rumi: Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  989 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
This volume draws on a wide variety of translations--from the early 20th century to the present--of Rumi's deeply moving, sensually vibrant poetry. The poetry of the medieval Persian sage Rumi combines lyrical beauty with spiritual profundity, a sense of rapture, and acute awareness of human suffering in ways that speak directly to contemporary audiences. Trained in ...more
Hardcover, 256 pages
Published June 6th 2006 by Everyman's Library (first published April 1st 213)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
سمر محمد
يعتبر أول ما قرأت من كتابات جلال الدين الرومي
اعجبني جداً تشبيهاته والتي وقفت عند بعضها كثيراً افكر في معناها وكيف استطاع صياغتها
استمتعت جداً بالتعرف علي هذا الشاعر الفارسي وعلي قصائده
وتمنيت لو اني استطيع قراءة لغة الشاعر الأصلية لأقرأ كتاباته
والتي ستكون أجمل من الترجمة بالتأكيد
ولكن هذا العمل أضاف الكثير
واعتقد أني سأعيد قراءته مرة اخري يوماً ما :)
Jarrett
Feb 16, 2013 Jarrett rated it it was amazing
my Bosnian mom gave me this for my 16th birthday. I read Rumi everyday, if i didn't I'd be a giant asshole.
Asma Sweet
حين تسطع الحقيقة تحبس الكلمات و لا شيء يقال فأنصتوا الآن لصوت داخل قلوبكم ... وداعاً
أنت لست وحيداً فأنت السماء و أنت البحر العميق
اما امام الله و باختصار فإن نهياتنا هي أسماؤنا الحقيقة .
Eva
Oct 25, 2016 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very difficult to review poetry. It's essentially a very personal experience for everyone. The poet interprets the world in his own way but at the same time tries to reach out and find a connection to the reader by expressing feelings and situations that are known to everyone. I'm finding it very difficult to say I liked this because somehow the word 'like' doesn't seem enough. So I will paint a picture for the prospective reader in the hope that it will help to understand my personal ...more
hayatem
Apr 08, 2013 hayatem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: شعر
جلال الدين الرومي من شعراء المتصوفة العظام، والشعر الصوفي غني عن التعريف. وشخصيا أحب الشعر الصوفي،وأجد به ميزة أعجز عن وصفها.
هذه القصائد المختارة مترجمة من الإنجليزية للعربية، وكلنا يعرف مدى صعوبة ترجمة الشعر من لغة لأخرى أياً كانت. تبقى مسألة ترجمة النصوص الشعرية من لغة لأخرى مثيرة للجدل في الأوساط الأدبية والشعرية ولأسباب عدة.
لم ترق لي القصائد المختارة كثيرا، لم أشعر بروح القصيدة وهي تلامسني.لا أعرف أين الخلل بالضبط؟ ولكن لجلال الدين الرومي قصائد أجمل وأبلغ في المعنى من القصائد المنتقاه بكثير.
...more
Miriam
Mar 30, 2014 Miriam added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: khaled hosseini, tumblr
Shelves: brown
Not ready for this one.

It is written in old enligsh so I didn't understand a lot of things, and the ones I could translate I couldn't really go deep in.

So yes, I made a mistake buying this one and overrated my ability to understand sufism and poetry.

I love his quote though

''out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing there is a field. I'll meet you there.''
basically, this is what made me buy it
Walid Elalfy
Apr 05, 2013 Walid Elalfy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
مشكله الكتاب انه مترجم لترجمه انجليزيه وعلشان كده المعنى تاه ..لم استمتع بالرومى الا بترجمات الدسوقى شتا وحسين شفيق ... مقدمه المترجم فيها خلط بين شمس الدين التبريزى ومحى الدين ابن عربى وكمان فى خطا فى كتابه ايه قرانيه ...
جهــان سمرقند
شعر مولانا عميق و مليء بالمعاني الروحية السامية، لكن المترجم لم يوفق جدا في عمله..فضلا عن خلطه بين شمس التبريزي و مولانا محي الدين ابن عربي
Bree
Jan 21, 2008 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, own
i really enjoy reading this poet, his poems often require second glances to fully understand but that is the way it should be with all poetry
Laura Chorba
Sep 08, 2013 Laura Chorba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I own this book I can read these forever and never get tired of them Wonderful translation.
Ruhat alp
Sep 19, 2011 Ruhat alp rated it it was amazing
Human beings are equipped in the best possible way, both materially and spiritually. Potentially, a human being is able to achieve the level of "the best of creation," which is dependent on his ability to use and develop his endowment of spiritual attributes. Those who can escape from the material world and escalate toward the higher ranks of the heart and soul will experience this world in a different way, and they will become conscious of the secrets of creation.
Mawlana Jalaladdin Rumi is one
...more
Leeza Donatella
Apr 28, 2014 Leeza Donatella rated it it was amazing
Any book by Rumi will guide you in your daily life.
Always a recommended Read
Wafaa Abu Saadah
Oct 13, 2014 Wafaa Abu Saadah rated it it was amazing
I fought myself not to read one more piece of this until I read it all.
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I carried this pocket edition around with me everywhere while I was travelling Morocco, and it was a perfect companion.


“Sit with your friends, don’t go back to sleep.

Don’t sink like a fish to the bottom of the sea.



Surge like an ocean,

Don’t scatter yourself like a storm.



Life’s waters flow from darkness.

Search the darkness, don’t run from it.



Night travellers are full of light,

And you are too; don’t leave this companionship.



Be a wakeful candle in a golden dish,

Don’t slip into the dirk like quicksil
...more
Mohamed Samy
الكتاب عباره عن قصائد مترجمه لمحمد محمد بهاء الدين و هو معروف بجلال الدين الرومى و هو اديب و فقيه و صوفى و لقب بالرومى لقضاءه معظم حياته فى الروم. الكاتب تعتبر حياته فيها كثير من الغموض
مقدمه علاء الدين السباعي طويله شويه بس هى ضروريه علشان توضح حاجات عن الكاتب و قصائده
قرأت الكتاب ده بسبب حب استطلاعى عن الصوفيه و الشعر الصوفى و عجبتني قصائد و قصائد لم تعجبني و فيه شويه قصائد لم افهمها بس مش كتير.
الكتاب فيه 398 قصيدة مترجمه.
الكتاب فى المجمل لم يكن على مستوى تطلعاتى
Hanan
Apr 27, 2012 Hanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always a beautiful experience to see the world through his eyes. I pity those who haven't the chance to meet Rumi yet.
Alaa Helal
Aug 09, 2013 Alaa Helal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تقيل وصعب بعض الشئ الفاظه قويه
لكنه مريح وملهم جدا :)
Mohamed Alwakeel
أغلب القصائد في مضمونها -ولفظها أحياناً- في منتهى الروعة والروحانية والجمال، بعضها بيبالغ شوية كعادة المتصوفة، وبعضها عادي بشكل غريب!

المشكلة الأساسية إن الترجمة سيئة بشكل غريب، حرفية جداً ومصطلحاتها غريبة، والمترجم مترجم الآيات القرآنية من النصّ الإنجليزي رأساً مش جايبها من المصحف، ما يؤدي لأخطاء قاتلة في السياق والنص لا يمكن التجاوز عنها..

بشكل عام انبسطت يعني.
Clifton
This is not the Rumi I know from reading the Coleman Barks translations. This one is more theocratic and dogmatic, albeit just as mystical. I'm glad I didn't start reading Rumi in this dated translation--clotted with footnotes. I probably would not have read further. I do not recommend this translation.
Hrishikesh
Aug 23, 2015 Hrishikesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although poetry cannot be read cover-to-cover. Nor should it be. And neither can it be discussed in terms of the comforting over-simplifcations provided by "ratings".
Maya Kenova
Oct 23, 2015 Maya Kenova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rumi's poetry is simply timeless. Love and life radiate from every line.
Mounir
Wher is the book?
ريم الرافعي
This is a book where u will definitely reread it! I just adore Rumi's words!
Christine Jolley
Sep 19, 2008 Christine Jolley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love, love, love his poetry. Sometimes though I found myself not understanding the meaning though!
Erotic Horizon
Selected Poems of Rumi (Dover Thrift Editions) by Jalalu'l-Din Rumi (2001)
Farah Al-Shuhail
Nov 09, 2013 Farah Al-Shuhail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book will remain on my nightstand for the rest of my life!
Shams
Mar 30, 2012 Shams rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
نشوى
Apr 21, 2013 نشوى rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
الترجمة سيئة افقدت الكتاب الكثير من جماله كان من الممكن ان يكون أروع بكثير
Basmah
Sep 30, 2013 Basmah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
فرحت عندما قرأت عنوان هذا الكتاب ، وشعرت بأني موعودة بوجبة غنية بالجمال
لكن الترجمة أضاعت فرحتي .
Niloo
Jul 24, 2011 Niloo added it
Shelves: poetry
Beautiful read. Rumi always speaks to me.
The best Sufi poet ever!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • The Annotated Milton: Complete English Poems
  • From Fatwa to Jihad
  • وارتعش القلب عشقا.. الحلاج
  • Holy Sonnets
  • Indian Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Annotated Waste Land with Eliot's Contemporary Prose
  • الموشحات الأندلسية
  • هكذا تكلم ابن عربي
  • Augustine: A Very Short Introduction
  • Duino Elegies and The Sonnets to Orpheus
  • The Bible : King James version with The apocrypha
  • The Death of the Moth and Other Essays
  • The H.D. Book
  • هاتف المغيب
  • Thomas Aquinas: A Very Short Introduction
  • شخصيات غير قلقة في الإسلام
  • Chairman Mao Would Not Be Amused: Fiction from Today's China
  • الأغاني
875661
Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

His poetry has influenced Persian literature, but also Turkish, Ottoman Turkish, Azerbaijani, Punjabi, Hindi, and Urdu, as well as the l
...more
More about Jalaluddin Rumi...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »

“كم هم سعداء أولئك الذين يتخلصون من الأغلال التى ترسخ بها حياتهم.” 421 likes
“وضع الله أمامنا سلّمًا علينا أن نتسلقه درجةً إثر درجة
لديك قدمان فلِمَ التظاهر بالعرج ؟”
288 likes
More quotes…