Start by marking “The Trouble With Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Trouble With Dragons

The Trouble With Dragons

The world is populated by some beastly dragons who care nothing for how much they mess up the oceans, chop down the trees, gobble up all the food and use everything up without stopping to think. In this picture book, those dragons need to wake up to what they are doing to their world before it is too late.
Published October 6th 2008 by Bloomsbury UK (first published August 1st 2008)

Hilary
Jan 02, 2016 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I'll admit I didn't read it before checking it out, so I was a little surprised by the message.

Lots of things to keep a 2.5yo interested in looking, especially identifying the other animals in silhouette, but the message was way over his head (and the Santa thing was a little... off).

Interesting concept, though too advanced for the age group, I think (and obviously overly simplified), but who knows what little nuggets might be retained? Even if a child just remembers one thing it may help.
Joy
May 31, 2011 Joy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This book was not what I expected at all. The author uses dragons (and their imagined selfish tendencies) to teach a lesson about taking care of the earth and using our resources wisely. While I think that message is very important to teach children, it came across a little heavy and preachy to me, even with the rhyming scheme. The illustrations are great, but overall this book just didn't work for me.
Kathryn
Nov 05, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Adorable illustrations but this is way too heavy on the "message" for me. The dragons go around polluting, using up resources, having no regard for their fellow creatures (hum, sound like Gliori might be hinting at any other species here???) until all the other creatures finally disappear--the dragons beg the other creatures to come back, promising they will be good and thoughtful. So, the other animals return and offer ways the dragons can be kinder to their fellow creatures and to the earth.

T
Suphia Ansari
May 31, 2013 Suphia Ansari rated it really liked it
The trouble with Dragons is that there are many of them, they are greedy, they do not stop to think and most of all they are noisy and messy. They have chopped down the forests and made big holes in the atmosphere; their hot air melts all the snow and turns the ice to water. Everything is now covered with water and sand, is it the end of the world? Should everyone pack up and be gone? Everyone, except the dragons, will they be all alone forever, how can they stop the mess they have made?
A wonder
Nola
Dec 21, 2015 Nola rated it liked it
3.5 stars - Dragons are overpopulating the earth and having adverse effects on the environment. Can this situation be turned around before it's too late?

This book has brilliant illustrations with lots to look at. Although the message about looking after the planet is a good one, I thought it was handled in a heavy-handed manner. Rather than bringing it out in story, I felt it was a bit too preachy. Still, it's a good way of showing the effect we can have on the environment and would be a good di
Ruth
Jul 14, 2016 Ruth rated it did not like it
This book is so preachy it makes The Lorax look like it was co-authored by Exxon and the Cato Institute. Seriously. Such an obnoxious book, and I say that as a WWF supporting, Nature Conservancy gifting, tree-hugging, bleeding heart hippie.
Mandi Murphy
Very obvious political agenda here. I get that the author is trying to teach, and I'm all about taking care of our world. But this book feels like a lecture. If you want to teach kids something through literature I believe that your message has to be just subtle enough.
Nathan
Nov 12, 2013 Nathan rated it did not like it
I hate books that are thinly veiled attempts to alter behavior. There's nothing like a good brain washing. This one is super lame.
Olivia
Aug 11, 2015 Olivia rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
True confession: I only ordered The Trouble With Dragons by Debi Gliori from the library because I adore Debi Gliori’s work - I had no clue what it was about. I don’t like to research the books too much before I have the library put them on hold because, well, I like to be surprised.

We’re living in a crazy time in this world - raising kids right now, with the way that the climate and globe are changing - is sometimes hard to figure out. How do you explain animals going extinct, or why we have t
Carson
Sep 16, 2014 Carson rated it liked it
The Trouble with Dragons is an fun picture book that tells the story of how the dragons destroyed the environment. The dragons overpopulate, chop down forests, make holes in the atmosphere, and just create a generally unhappy place to live in. The text throughout the story is written in rhyme, which is fun and helps the story to flow well, especially when reading it out loud to children. The author also spaces and places the text in interesting ways that help the story. For example, the line ...more
Vivian
Feb 02, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you're okay with presenting planet issues such as global warming and over-population to pre-schoolers, this would be a good choice. I like the book for this younger crowd primarily for it's illustrations so I just turned pages and asked, "what color are the dragons on this page?" (not bothering to show every page, of course).

Find a simple line drawing of a dragon and run it off on colored paper. Cut out your colored dragons and affix them to black 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper and put them in a
Cayia
Jan 31, 2016 Cayia rated it it was amazing
The Trouble with Dragons is a heartwarming story about taking care of our environment. The author uses the dragons and their actions to represent humans and some of the harmful things that they do to the environment. The story shows the dragons destroying the homes of wild animals and causing harm to our earth. Finally, the dragons realize that they are hurting the animals, and they all begin to discuss ways to help the earth and its animals rather than to hurt it. This book has a theme of ...more
Sallyavena
This book was blatant indoctrination at its best. I picked it up because my daughter thought it looked cute, but it's all about how the dragons overpopulate their world, cut down all of the trees and melt the polor icecaps (the picture of the other animals hanging on for dear life as it floods, begging the dragons to change their ways is priceless). All you had to do is replace 'dragon' with 'human' and there you have my beef with the book. I'm all for taking care of this beautiful world that we ...more
Jaime Johnson
Jul 17, 2012 Jaime Johnson rated it it was amazing
The trouble with dragons is a wonderful book that informs children about the environment through a fun way. The main characters would have to be all the dragons and the setting is the entire world. The point of view is from a narrator. The story explains that dragons keep multiplying until they consume the whole world. Because there is so many of them, the world starts to deteriorate. So finally, after the world is almost underwater, the dragons decide that they will keep everything under ...more
ChayAbbyCaydenAsher
Jul 22, 2011 ChayAbbyCaydenAsher rated it liked it
I really liked the message of this book about what we can do to help keep our planet beautiful and healthy...except for the very opening paragraph. Whats the matter with dragons? They make more dragons, who keep making more dragons, who make even more dragons. I'm sorry, but who is the planet for if not for the people living there? Teaching CHILDREN to not be wasteful and take care of the earth is a wonderful thing...teaching them that it's bad or wrong to have CHILDREN...umm what is the author ...more
Lisa Carroll
Mar 14, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it really liked it
This modern fantasy was about dragons who came back to earth and overpopulated and abused our planet. This story was unique because it taught children about the enviornment, pollution, and what we can do to protect our beloved Earth. Instead of simply talking about the enviornment, they introduced these lovable yet rascal like dragons. This was a creative way to discuss the enviornment. Children of all ages would enjoy the bright and colorful illustrations. Dragons in general are very ...more
Romane
Jul 13, 2016 Romane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Very entertaining. I decided to read this book, because why not? Dragons are awesome. Daenerys Targaryen will agree to that.

(P.S. This book is not, in any way, affiliated with Game of Thrones.)

I'd like to think that the moral of the story is that we should take care of nature. The dragons represent us humans for crossing the limits when we use the natural resources here on Earth. In the end, there is still hope if you're determined enough.
Kate Hastings
Apr 18, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
--grades k-4
--The dragon population keeps growing, and each dragon needs a place to live, food to eat, and a place to put their trash.
--Dragons like fire and chop down trees and spread fire so that everything gets hotter and ice starts to melt.
--the other animals are sad. Their habitats vanish, flooding from the melted ice or becoming hot and dry deserts.
--The dragons learn that the world will become a lonely and uncolorful place if the only things that can live in it are dragons.
--Not hard to t
Jessi
Sep 01, 2015 Jessi rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this book. When I realized the hidden agenda in the story, it just took away from a great fictional tale that I was hopeful for.
I admit, I picked this book up because of the cover ONLY and I do regret it. HOWEVER, the pictures did save the book from a 1 star for me. They were colorful and fun to look at. My boys are 2 & 4 and could care less about a book talking about recycling at this point.
I'm sure it would go along wonderfully with a teacher showing her class ab
Sophia Newtown
Jan 22, 2014 Sophia Newtown rated it it was amazing
I like dragons, and the illustrations are great!
Unlike other commentators who like me didn't know what the book is about, I am glad I read it: there are too many people in this world who don't understand the "purpose" of Nature, and that's why they should be educated early.
Doesn't mean that children need to be brainwashed: right now, to my daughter, it's just a book about cute colorful dragons, the real purpose will come later.
No, really, finally a book with a meaning and not just meaningless bu
Amelia
3.5 Stars

In a world where so many people seem determined to consume consume consume with reckless abandon, I can only think it's good to teach children the value of looking after our planet right from the very beginning - all the better when it's done with awesome illustrations of dragons! I do agree with a couple of reviewers though - it would be nice to see some ideas included on how children could actually get involved, even if only in a note at the back. I read this in a local children's cen
A
This is a nicely illustrated picture book about how the dragons live lives of excess and carelessness upon the earth until the earth is nearly destroyed. In fear of losing everything, the dragons cry out for help and all the animals respond with tips on how to live in a way that is harmony with the earth. The gist of this book is to reduce, reuse and recycle. Good earth day read aloud for a library lesson.
Rachelle
Mar 08, 2016 Rachelle rated it really liked it
I think this book could work well in the classroom to engage children in the topic of conservation and how we can change things to improve our world. It is an interesting use of dragons to convey the message and I'm sure there are better ways to send a message but I think overall the dragons work. This book does send a powerful message and I think I would like to try it out in the classroom and see how the kids respond to it.
Alexandria Hiam
Loren
Jul 01, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Deb Gliori's book but this one is unique! If only all "message books" could be as winning as this rhyming ode to environmental responsibility. Dragons play the part of humans here, and the troubles they create are many: they keep making more dragons, they take up all the space with their buildings and roads, and they never pick up after themselves. I love dragons so a big plus for me!
Margaretann
Jan 20, 2015 Margaretann rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, children-s
This is the third book we've checked out by this author...always drawn in by the illustrations but the story itself is yet again not great.

I'm all for teaching children about caring for the Earth and being a good steward of natural resources but this book is WAY too heavy for the preschool set...I especially find issue with the line, "say goodbye to the world into which you were born, for the dragons have made it all tattered and torn." Eesh!
Heidi-Marie
Ick. I didn't expect an environmental message from this. That definitely tainted my opinion of the book. But the illustrations are really cute. Let a young child browse through in a read-alone to enjoy the illustrations and not have a message over their head. Unless you have someone looking for environment books for the young--then this is a good choice!
Kelsey
Dragons serve as a metaphor for energy-addicted humans that destroy the planet through global warming. While the verse can be charming and bouncing and the illustrations are bright and humorous, the book gets a little preachy toward the finale. It would be good to encourage print motivation or vocabulary development.
Leslie
Mar 13, 2011 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book is not what I was expecting. It was a book covering global warming, over-population, and other earth issues. It was just too much for an audience of preschoolers. While I enjoyed the illustrations and rhythmical language, I found the 'hit you over the head' message too overwhelming for a children's book.
Denise
Nov 20, 2008 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The dragons are metaphors for people who fail to reduce, reuse and recycle. Gliori shows what is predicted to happen to the earth is overrun with dragons. This will certainly catch the eye of most preschool children and it does serve its purpose of teaching through a story. It is just shy of being a little preachy.
The Trouble With Dragons 1 4 Feb 03, 2014 06:45PM
  • Good Luck Bear
  • Michael Recycle
  • Hello My Name Is Bob
  • Planting the Wild Garden
  • All God's Critters Got a Place in the Choir (w.t.)
  • The Family Tree
  • Little Beauty
  • Duck Tents
  • Waking Dragons
  • Posy
  • Buster Goes to Cowboy Camp
  • Oh So Brave Dragon
Debi Gliori (born 1959) is a Scottish author and illustrator of children's books.
She grew up as an only child in Glasgow, and when young began drawing and writing stories. She started writing children's books in 1976, and attended art school in Edinburgh from 1979 to 1984. She then received a travelling scholarship award to go to Milan, and worked as a freelance from 1984 onwards.
She is the author
More about Debi Gliori...