Start by marking “What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not” as Want to Read:

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  339 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In this classic parody, Thomas Hill presents the testosterone-inspired answer to the best-seller What to Expect When You're Expecting.* This completely revised and updated edition of the best-selling parody humorously guides fathers-to-be through nine months of 21st-century baby preparations.

Complete with weird baby names, tips on how to avoid a sympathetic pregnancy, and
Published April 1st 2007 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding

Lindley Walter-smith
I'm clearly not the intended readership for this book, as a lesbian birth mum. I have to admit I actually picked it up because it had a single one star rating in my library's ecollection, and I was curious to see just how bad it was.

It was a lot better than I expected. I find the constant gendering tiresome-to-offensive, especially when it's applied to the baby. On the other hand, as someone experiencing an extremely difficult pregnancy, I found the list of month-by-month physical whinges gelled
Cole Schoolland
Jun 26, 2016 Cole Schoolland rated it did not like it
If you have any intentions or desire to actually be a good father DO NOT SPEND ANY TIME OR MONEY ON THIS BOOK.

If you subscribe to that 1950s view of distant fatherhood (as in "oh the child... thats my wife's department") and make your role in the whole thing a joke, then this book might be for you.

"What to Expect" is a household name among parenting books so I was very surprised when this joke passed muster. If this is just one big joke, I apologize for my lacking sense of humor.

I can't imagi
Stephanie Hull
Dec 28, 2014 Stephanie Hull rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really not informative

The "Dude you're going to be a dad" book is more informative and has much better advice. I'm a nurse practitioner and this is really doesn't provide any helpful information in here for dads to be.
Dennis
Feb 19, 2016 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fathers-to-be
I gave it 4 stars because of all of the whinging going on by my fellow reviewers.

This is meant to be funny. And yes this is written from a guy's perspective to other guys...not to knock any mommys and mommys or daddys and daddys (Baby Mama anyone?)

In one of the first chapters he tells people to get the real "What To Expect..." book, so if you want information go grab that one. For everyone else with a sense of humor, and who doesn't take themselves too seriously grab this book. It'll make you
Scott  Breslove
Jan 27, 2015 Scott Breslove rated it it was ok
Eh...it started out really funny, but that was about the peak of it. Informative? Kinda, but a lot of it was sarcastic and satirical. Funny? Like I said, it started out really funny, then got stale and repetitive. Interesting? It had its moments. I started reading it "late", as in, my wife is already in her ninth month when I started reading. Would I have been better off the first eight months if I had read this book first? That's a strongly stated no. I'd say any father to be can get along very ...more
Rat de bibliothèque
Shows month by month pictures of estimated belly size
Includes month-by-month break-down of items to buy to put away

Gives breakdown of moods to possibly expect during each month

Includes helpful hints like which pickles go with which ice cream flavor (I kid you not)

my epinions review from years ago:
I am a 21 year-old who still lives at home. My husband is overseas and in the service. I began collecting books to read to prepare for a family some time ago and only recently decided that it seemed li
Alex
Jan 12, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is strictly for entertainment. If you're expecting a dad friendly pregnancy help book, this isn't it. That being said, it is entertaining and funny. It's a dry, sarcastic kind of humor, so if that's not your thing, don't bother. But I liked the book a lot, it had enough tid bits to Make me want to continue, and it read quickly.
Guy
Apr 04, 2016 Guy rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
A funny look at what to expect when your wife is busy making the baby.
Adam James
Feb 24, 2016 Adam James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Meh. Still better than reading Bill Cosby's Fatherhood.
Dave
Mar 12, 2014 Dave rated it did not like it
I'm no macho man, nor is this a book written by a macho man. However it is about how a man who feels the needs to explain to other men how their world changes when their wife starts expanding. It didn't take long for me to be even a bit offended at the approach. If you're macho you may really love this book I suppose. So many men do not take an active part in their wife's pregnancy, that I suppose this kind of read for that kind of man is better than nothing at all. Otherwise, I'd ignore this on ...more
Morninglight Mama
Silly joke book that pokes fun at the slew of books aimed at pregnant women. I bet some dads-to-be would laugh at the format, and I found it funny enough to keep in the bathroom. :)
Jan 10, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it
Helped give me a laugh when I was stressing out about our new addition. Note, to guys, show at least a minimal interest in the dictionary sized pregnancy books that the women read, it will prevent a lot of headaches, even though they are only good for us as reference books.
John
Jan 17, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot from this book, it was short, it was funny, and it highlighted a lot of things to look out for, prepare for and gave great tips on how to be successful in being a father-to-be while providing some great comic relief at the same time.
H
Mar 05, 2015 H rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This was the best book I've read on childbirth so far, and it was written by a dude for dudes. It's good for a chuckle, it's not overly serious, and it actually did have some pretty good advice buried among the jokes.
Erik Hansen
Dec 17, 2009 Erik Hansen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Prospective and expecting fathers
Funny and informative. Probably better not to spread the reading out over the entire 9 months like I did, but, hey, if I had a time machine I would've worn a condom... yes, I'm practicing corny dad jokes.
Jul 05, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: random
Humorous yet surprisingly helpful. I wish I had read this book earlier in the pregnancy there actually is quite a bit of useful information scattered around in there.
Jack
Mar 28, 2013 Jack rated it did not like it
Shelves: gone
Terrible --- I'll never get those hours back. Stupid book that tries to be funny at the expense of providing any sort of useful information.
Karsten
Aug 18, 2010 Karsten rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kyle Stittleburg
Recommended to Karsten by: Kyle Stittleburg
I'm not sure how useful of a read it was, but it certainly was very amusing. It did provide a brief intro into topics I never considered before.
Pavel
Feb 21, 2013 Pavel rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Funny and easy read, mostly filled with things that fathers to be should not do rather than what they should.
Melanie Franklin
Aug 06, 2011 Melanie Franklin rated it really liked it
This book is HILARIOUS! Perfect for first time-fathers, and a good laugh for mothers too!
Katie
Aug 02, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Very funny. My husband read it and told me that I had to as well. Cracked us both up.
Erin
Aug 30, 2007 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It should be titled "The guide to the perfect pregnancy that you will never have"
Mark
Jan 09, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Here's an entertaining read, which had me chuckling out loud occasionally.
Zach
Sep 18, 2008 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must read... pregnancy is very difficult on the father-to-be.
May 03, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
This is clearly not for me but for someone else to read ;)
Ian Crittenden
Dec 29, 2009 Ian Crittenden rated it liked it
I read this when Deb was prego with Smith. Pretty funny
Chris
Jul 22, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
diffently helped me through the pregnancy.
Mar 31, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
Very easy to read and sometimes humorous book.
Gary Schmidt
Gary Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
  • The Pocket Book of Boosh
  • The Big Lebowski: An Illustrated, Annotated History of the Greatest Cult Film of All Time
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated - All the Bits
  • It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Thirty Years Married to a Rolling Stone
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • What You Want Is in the Limo: On the Road with Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, and the Who in 1973, the Year the Sixties Died and the Modern Rock Star Was Born
  • The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
  • The Man Who Sold the World: David Bowie and the 1970s
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Organizer