Start by marking “The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living” as Want to Read:
The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

The provocative ideas and touching insights found in The Joy in Loving spring from incidents in Mother Teresa's own remarkable life. She speaks of men and women who have lived and died uncomplainingly, even in the midst of great poverty and deprivation; of wealthy businessmen whose indifference has been transformed into compassion and charity, and of her encounters with pe ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy in Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy in Loving

Beth Peninger
Mar 14, 2014 Beth Peninger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I didn't understand, when I requested this book from Interlibrary Loan, that when the title includes "daily" it actually meant daily - as in a thought a day for 365 days. And since no library system is going to let me keep the book for a year, and I'm not going to purchase it, I decided to read it straight through as I would a book. So because of this the book isn't really 429 pages of reading as each page has paragraph of text on it containing a thought from Mother Teresa.
Mother Teresa was
John Sheehan
May 04, 2016 John Sheehan rated it it was amazing
I love this compilation of notes and thoughts from Mother Teresa, to those she came in contact with and even about herself. Though she did not write this as a daily devotional I must day by reading a page or two a day will change the way you think and see things.

I just love the anecdotes and her life experiences shared making each word so authentic and practical taking me down a path of what true poverty is all about; No life of Love; I'm speaking of a life long walk according to 1st Corinthians
Edgar Mora-Reyes
Aug 05, 2011 Edgar Mora-Reyes rated it really liked it
Maravilloso testimonio de vida, una mujer que ilusiona y nos enseña el verdadero amor desde la fe, lo trascendental y lo maravilloso del ser humano cuando deja actuar al espíritu santo. Una obra didáctica,pedagógica, doctrinal y motivacional. No debe de faltar en ningún hogar.
kristen
Jun 10, 2009 kristen rated it really liked it
"Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier!" -Mother Theresa. Her daily thoughts are inspirational to me. A wonderful read that I took in all at once instead of a day at a time.
Tsetan
Jun 22, 2010 Tsetan rated it it was amazing
my treasure
Spaz
Apr 09, 2016 Spaz rated it it was amazing
VERY NICE daily devotional, you can't miss with quotes and sayings from Mother Teresa herself.
Amber
Nov 17, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Who doesn't love Mother Teresa? She is one of the women that inspire me and I believe that as an adovocate for children, children should know about her. She has many quotes and stories that children would be interested in. I would encourage posting them around the room from time to time and having a picture book in the reading corner of her working with children (I do own). This is a great book for educators because it recognizes the sacrifices that are made and honors them. This book can act as ...more
Linda
Jan 31, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Great inspirational book with many life lessons. Reccomend.
Perm
Dec 06, 2015 Perm added it
think of what?
Jacquelyn
Jan 09, 2014 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Beautiful words from mother theresa. Not so much a "sit down and read through" type book....just have it on your nightstand and pick up and read when you need some encouraging words of love and wisdom.
Amy
Apr 21, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
Some thought provoking quotes on loneliness and the merits of giving time and love instead of (or in addition to) just money. A very Catholic approach to sexuality and abortion, to the point of preoccupation. Either way, I would have liked to get more in-depth, so I guess I'll need to pick up some of Mother Teresa's full length works.
Jody
Mar 10, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is nice if you want to read a little bit everyday for reflection or meditation - Compiled by Jaya Chaliha & Edward Le Joly, each page offers a quote from Mother Teresa. I also found the Introduction of the Life and Work of Mother Teresa to be amazing - I know so much more of this religous icon as a result of this read.
Kirsten
Sep 16, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it
This book had some really great quotes in it that helped our book club group talk about our own experiences, helped us to look at our own lives, and motivated us to be a bit better. All in all it was really good. Learning a bit about Mother Teresa in the beginning of the book made me want to learn more about her and her story.
Vincent
Aug 31, 2011 Vincent rated it did not like it
This book consists of partial quotes from Mother Teresa. There is one for every day of the year. Most of the quotes mean very little - they are trite in the way that some deep quotes sometimes are.
Hard to dislike Mother Teresa but don't pick this book up expecting anything deep or especially meaningful.
Lorraine
Nov 19, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
What a remarkable woman. Although she took her vows early in life, she did not receive her "calling" to serve the destitute until she was 40 years old. Each of her entries contains a pearl. What a amazing and inspirational woman!
Gigi
Feb 07, 2013 Gigi rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa is known for her simple but true sayings. She is direct but with love. She truly followed Jesus' calling and tried to live her life as He would want all of us to live: with love, patience and forgiveness.
Sandra
Jan 21, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Mother Teresa is such an inspiration to me. Reading her words and hearing about her story of faith and charity really humbles me. If you have not read about Mother Teresa's story...this is a must read.
Kathy Mertens
Dec 31, 2014 Kathy Mertens rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa is one of my fa b or items people. Her words of wisdom are for all. if society would heed her word then the world would be a better place. will be sharing this book with a friend.
Cecelia
Aug 12, 2010 Cecelia rated it really liked it
a beautiful look into Mother Teresa's outlook on life, insights, wisdom, etc. i got some great quotes from this one and learned a LOT. definitely recommended :)
Nov 18, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I really like this book. It's just a book of her quotes, but she is such a wise woman. There is something new to think about with every turn of the page.
Joni
Mar 25, 2011 Joni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
wonderful prayers, affirmations and devotions on the path of life with Jesus a great primer on love and humility.
Anne
Jan 19, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing
A must read. It really puts life in perspective/what really matters.
Isolabella
Jan 31, 2011 Isolabella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A message of love throughout this book. Worth reading.
Bevy-crazy
Jan 12, 2011 Bevy-crazy rated it it was amazing
I love Mother Theressa and her words are gold to me :)
Kbord
Mar 25, 2008 Kbord rated it really liked it
Each day of the year has a quotation from Mother Teresa.
Aye Nandar
Feb 04, 2010 Aye Nandar rated it it was amazing
Mother Teresa is great! And encouraging.
Tiffany Malcom
Feb 16, 2010 Tiffany Malcom rated it really liked it
Oh how I love Mother Teresa . . .
Mayela
Mar 26, 2009 Mayela rated it it was amazing
I love her quotes...
Gretchen Gingerich
May 19, 2011 Gretchen Gingerich rated it really liked it
Thought provoking.
Abhipsha
Abhipsha marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
  • Instead of God: A Non-Believer's View of Spiritual Realities
  • The Future of Man
  • The Last Barrier
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Field Notes on the Compassionate Life: A Search for the Soul of Kindness
  • So Rich, So Poor: Why It's So Hard to End Poverty in America
  • Culture of Cruelty: How America's Elite Demonize the Poor, Valorize the Rich and Jeopardize the Future
  • Introduction to Christian Worship
  • The Tao of Poo: Legend of Li Chang
  • On Grace and Free Will
  • The Tweetable Pope: A Spiritual Revolution in 140 Characters
  • Pope Francis' Little Book of Wisdom
  • The Compassionate Instinct: The Science of Human Goodness
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: It's Impossible to Be Spiritually Mature, While Remaining Emotionally Immature
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
  • God Thinks You're Wonderful
  • Thich Nhat Hanh: Essential Writings
  • Journey of the Heart: The Path of Conscious Love
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, or Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had become inte
More about Mother Teresa...

“These are the few ways we can practice humility:

To speak as little as possible of one's self.

To mind one's own business.

Not to want to manage other people's affairs.

To avoid curiosity.

To accept contradictions and correction cheerfully.

To pass over the mistakes of others.

To accept insults and injuries.

To accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked.

To be kind and gentle even under provocation.

Never to stand on one's dignity.

To choose always the hardest.”
1240 likes