The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The provocative ideas and touching insights found in The Joy in Loving spring from incidents in Mother Teresa's own remarkable life. She speaks of men and women who have lived and died uncomplainingly, even in the midst of great poverty and deprivation; of wealthy businessmen whose indifference has been transformed into compassion and charity, and of her encounters with pe...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Joy in Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy in Loving

Rowlak5
"Let anyone who comes to you go away feeling better and happier!" -Mother Theresa. Her daily thoughts are inspirational to me. A wonderful read that I took in all at once instead of a day at a time.
Tsetan
my treasure
Beth Peninger
So I didn't understand, when I requested this book from Interlibrary Loan, that when the title includes "daily" it actually meant daily - as in a thought a day for 365 days. And since no library system is going to let me keep the book for a year, and I'm not going to purchase it, I decided to read it straight through as I would a book. So because of this the book isn't really 429 pages of reading as each page has paragraph of text on it containing a thought from Mother Teresa.
Mother Teresa was...more
Amber
Who doesn't love Mother Teresa? She is one of the women that inspire me and I believe that as an adovocate for children, children should know about her. She has many quotes and stories that children would be interested in. I would encourage posting them around the room from time to time and having a picture book in the reading corner of her working with children (I do own). This is a great book for educators because it recognizes the sacrifices that are made and honors them. This book can act as...more
Jacquelyn
Beautiful words from mother theresa. Not so much a "sit down and read through" type book....just have it on your nightstand and pick up and read when you need some encouraging words of love and wisdom.
Amy
Some thought provoking quotes on loneliness and the merits of giving time and love instead of (or in addition to) just money. A very Catholic approach to sexuality and abortion, to the point of preoccupation. Either way, I would have liked to get more in-depth, so I guess I'll need to pick up some of Mother Teresa's full length works.
Jody
This book is nice if you want to read a little bit everyday for reflection or meditation - Compiled by Jaya Chaliha & Edward Le Joly, each page offers a quote from Mother Teresa. I also found the Introduction of the Life and Work of Mother Teresa to be amazing - I know so much more of this religous icon as a result of this read.
Kirsten
This book had some really great quotes in it that helped our book club group talk about our own experiences, helped us to look at our own lives, and motivated us to be a bit better. All in all it was really good. Learning a bit about Mother Teresa in the beginning of the book made me want to learn more about her and her story.
Vincent
This book consists of partial quotes from Mother Teresa. There is one for every day of the year. Most of the quotes mean very little - they are trite in the way that some deep quotes sometimes are.
Hard to dislike Mother Teresa but don't pick this book up expecting anything deep or especially meaningful.
Edgar Mora-Reyes
Maravilloso testimonio de vida, una mujer que ilusiona y nos enseña el verdadero amor desde la fe, lo trascendental y lo maravilloso del ser humano cuando deja actuar al espíritu santo. Una obra didáctica,pedagógica, doctrinal y motivacional. No debe de faltar en ningún hogar.
Lorraine
What a remarkable woman. Although she took her vows early in life, she did not receive her "calling" to serve the destitute until she was 40 years old. Each of her entries contains a pearl. What a amazing and inspirational woman!
Gigi
Mother Teresa is known for her simple but true sayings. She is direct but with love. She truly followed Jesus' calling and tried to live her life as He would want all of us to live: with love, patience and forgiveness.
Sandra
Mother Teresa is such an inspiration to me. Reading her words and hearing about her story of faith and charity really humbles me. If you have not read about Mother Teresa's story...this is a must read.
Cecelia
a beautiful look into Mother Teresa's outlook on life, insights, wisdom, etc. i got some great quotes from this one and learned a LOT. definitely recommended :)
I really like this book. It's just a book of her quotes, but she is such a wise woman. There is something new to think about with every turn of the page.
Joni
wonderful prayers, affirmations and devotions on the path of life with Jesus a great primer on love and humility.
Anne
A must read. It really puts life in perspective/what really matters.
Isolabella
A message of love throughout this book. Worth reading.
Bevy-crazy
I love Mother Theressa and her words are gold to me :)
Kbord
Each day of the year has a quotation from Mother Teresa.
Aye Nandar
Mother Teresa is great! And encouraging.
Tiffany Malcom
Oh how I love Mother Teresa . . .
Mayela
I love her quotes...
Gretchen Gingerich
Thought provoking.
Herlyn Faye
Herlyn Faye marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Manveer
Manveer marked it as to-read
Stephanie Zharlynne
Stephanie Zharlynne marked it as to-read
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Arya Ouskouian
Arya Ouskouian marked it as to-read
  • Field Notes on the Compassionate Life: A Search for the Soul of Kindness
  • So Rich, So Poor: Why It's So Hard to End Poverty in America
  • Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Know What You Believe
  • Thich Nhat Hanh: Essential Writings
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • In Search of the Source: A First Encounter with God's Word
  • Whispers of Hope
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • God Thinks You're Wonderful
  • God Is Not a Christian: And Other Provocations
  • Educating Your Child In Modern Times:  Raising An Intelligent, Sovereign, & Ethical Human Being
  • The Relaxation Response
  • Pitching My Tent: On Marriage, Motherhood, Friendship, and Other Leaps of Faith
  • Families Where Grace Is in Place
  • The Divine Milieu
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had b...more
More about Mother Teresa...
Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta No Greater Love A Simple Path Mother Teresa: In My Own Words In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers

“These are the few ways we can practice humility:

To speak as little as possible of one's self.

To mind one's own business.

Not to want to manage other people's affairs.

To avoid curiosity.

To accept contradictions and correction cheerfully.

To pass over the mistakes of others.

To accept insults and injuries.

To accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked.

To be kind and gentle even under provocation.

Never to stand on one's dignity.

To choose always the hardest.”
544 likes