Start by marking “Los Hijos De Húrin” as Want to Read:
Los Hijos De Húrin

Los Hijos De Húrin (Middle-Earth Universe)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  37,835 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews
La última novela inédita de J.R.R. Tolkien. Con ilustraciones de Alan Lee. Lanzamiento mundial en abril de 2007. Los hijos de Húrin es uno de los grandes relatos que fundamentan la historia de la Tierra Media y se sitúa en la Primera Edad, cuando elfos, hombres y enanos llevaban unos pocos siglos sobre la tierra. Junto con las historia de Beren y Lúthien, es la historia má ...more
Published 2007 by Minotauro

To ask other readers questions about Los Hijos De Húrin, please sign up.

Helena It's certainly not what I would call a very easy read, The Hobbit is a kids book, and LoTR is, as you say, fairly easy for anyone.
The plot of CoH is…more
The plot of CoH is a little harder to understand, and I would recommend reading The Silmarillion first, to get a better grasp of the complex mythology, and who the characters are etc. The Silmarillion also has an abridged version of CoH in it, so that's probably a better bet, though some of the other stuff is a little hard to get.

All in all, eventually, yes. CoH broke my heart, had me certain what would come next and is a worthwhile read for and Tolkien fan! Hope I helped!(less)

It has been said that all good things must come to an end. In this case, the end of Children of Hurin also marks the end of my quest to read a book by each of my five favorite authors. It seems like a fitting way to end this journey, in that Tolkien is the oldest of my favorites, and if there was ever a modern author suited to end-of-quest tales, it was Tolkien. He was also the author on my list that gave me the greatest concern—not only has he passed away, but his body of published work is rela ...more
As a general rule I try to write my reviews "in a vacuum" as much as possible, that is, before I read through the other reviews already here. I am not going to be able to do that here. I have spent more than twenty years with this story (since my mother first read the Unfinished Tales version aloud to me when I was eight years old), and if Christopher Tolkien had not put this volume together, I might have eventually had the hubris to do so myself.

Let me start by making a couple of points. First
Sep 03, 2007 beggs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Tolkien fans.
The Children of Hurin is not a for people who saw the Lord of the Rings movies and then read the book. It's for hardcore fans. The people who remember all the names from the The Silmarillion. Or for the few people out there who reread Beowulf a lot. The Children of Hurin reads like a Nordic Saga.

As a self proclaimed Tolkien Fanatic I enjoyed The Children or Hurin. The Heroic, epic and ultimately tragic life of Turin and his sisters. It's not more The Lord of the Rings but it continues to paint a
Riku Sayuj
After watching Hobbit, I desperately wanted to get some Tolkien fare, and I was (strangely enough) not up to reading LOTR for a thirteenth time (though I plan to soon enough). So I turned to the Children of Hurin and boy, was it fun.

Deriving from the Finnish national epic Kalevala and the tragic Kullervo, The Children of Hurin proves again what Tolkien can do with ancient legends and myths. I have to confess that I was looking for parallels with Beowulf through most of my readings and found man
Stefan Yates
The Children of Hurin provides some great historical material to Tolkien's world of Middle-Earth and adds even more richness to the Lord of the Rings. This addition to Tolkien's extensive historical background of Middle-earth fills in the gaps and fleshes out stories that have been mentioned and hinted at in other works by giving us a detailed and colorful look at the tragic story surrounding Túrin and Niënor (Hurin's children) and the ongoing battle against Morgoth, the master of the Lord of th ...more
Feb 06, 2013 Dahlia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Tolkien fans

Instead of The Children or Húrin, this book should be entitled The story in which (view spoiler) by J.R.R. Tolkien. Oh. My. God. And here I thought only Shakespeare wrote good Renaissance tragedies. Really. This story is so tragically sad I forget it was written by Tolkien.
I won't write a summary for the story but I'll write down some things about it that might persuade you to read this amazing book:
1. Elves and more Elves! If you like wise, brave elves who like t
Sep 06, 2013 Zorena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien Fans
This a much darker tale than Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit. Curses, deceit and never ending woe seem to make up this tome. This being a reread I found that I was having a much easier time of keeping the characters names straight. His world and history building really helped me understand the two more popular books which I already love. I'm just sorry I didn't reread The Silmarillion first as it has the history for this book. Call George R.R. Martin a world builder if you like but I'm pretty su ...more
Gandolf, Poul Anderson, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tom Bombadil and Ozzy Osbourne sit in the Green Dragon pub in Murfreesboro Tennessee and discuss Tolkien’s book The Children of Hurin.

Gandolf: Yes, Tom thank you, I will have some more of this delightful mead, what did you call it?

Tom: Melkor Mead, and here (offers a sample glass) try some of our Meriodoc Barleywine, we make them both here at Green Dragon.

Ozzy: Tahh, whassott faugh toouken majjes?

Tom: Thanks, Ozzy! I’ll let the kitchen know you like the so
Jason Koivu
Don't ask me to name any of the many gods, demons, peoples, and monsters that populated Tolkien's history book of his own fantasy world making. It's confusing and a second read will be necessary, but what I enjoyed were the tales. Following the heroic legends is like listening to a fireside tale told by a grandfather or an intriguing talk by a professor prone to long-windedness. You know it's good stuff and you wish you could stay awake during the endless narrative/lecture, but the old man will ...more
I could’ve read this book in one sitting if I had the luxury of time. Like everything I’ve read of Tolkien so far (The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), I found it engrossing and hard to put down. But don’t expect to have an experience similar to that of reading LOTR. Just as The Hobbit should not be compared in merit with LOTR, so shouldn’t this one, for though they come from the same world (Middle Earth), they’re entirely of different species (much like Elves, Dwarves and Men).

I knew even before
C.B. Cook
Holy mackerel.

To be honest, I've never been into depressing books or tragedies. They're interesting... but they always seem incomplete, like Romeo and Juliet. Let's be honest, this is a much-better version of Romeo and Juliet.

I was really scared to start this, since I'd heard that it was pretty dark and depressing (view spoiler), but I actually really enjoyed it. In my opinion, it wasn't so bad.

The only reason this isn't a five-star book for me is tha
Carter Krummrich
Feb 14, 2008 Carter Krummrich rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkein fans
Apr 06, 2008 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious JRR Tolkien fans
This book is only for the serious JRR Tolkien fan. If you've read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, and still want more, then you will probably be interested in this book. It is very different than the above books though. The Hobbit is a very easy read, written for a young audience. Lord of the Rings is a long tale, but keeps you drawn in til the end. The Silmarillion is incredibly complex, and difficult to read, yet fascinating because of all of the history of Middle Earth that it pr ...more
Franco  Santos
Es un buen libro. Se me hizo muy pesado, eso es lo lamentable y por eso mismo van mis tres estrellas. No obstante, sin lugar a dudas es una obra magistral de Tolkien, donde demuestra que su imaginación y su maestría trasciende mucho más de sólo El Señor de los Anillos.

Es una obra que tiene lugar en un clima de tragedia y trata sobre una maldición que persigue a un hombre, quien busca escapar de la misma que lo atormenta en cada uno de sus actos e inunda sus pensamientos acuciantemente .

Es una
Daniel Ionson
There's so much to say about Tolkien's mastery of language and myth.

But what's important and powerful about CoH is that it stands (stylistically) somewhere in between Silmarillion and LotR. There are no anachronisms in Silmarillion, which are present in LotR (and the Hobbit, of course). CoH is blissfully free of them, but is also less "macro" than Sil. CoH treads on solid (Middle) earth, but is not quite as intimate as LotR (E.g., with Frodo & the other hobbits).

This is such a grim tale an
Tengo pocas palabras que puedan describir este libro, solo diré que es la tragedia perfecta.

Soy fanático de J. R. R. Tolkien así que tal vez mi juicio no es imparcial, incluso cuando encontré este libro mi primera reacción fue, “un libro de Tolkien que no he leído”

Así pues para mí fue maravilloso, me hizo recordar cuándo por obligación tuve que leer la historia de Edipo Rey, y créanme cuando les digo que Tolkien no tiene nada que envidiarle a las tragedias griegas.

Con un trabajo destacado de
Now I will sing the doom song.

This is probably the grimmest tale of Middle-earth, filled with treachery and betrayal and evil glamours and shocking revelations and all other manner of doom and tragedy. If you read The Silmarillion, you know the gist of the story. (If you didn't read The Silmarillion I'm not sure why you're reading this book in the first place.) This volume presents the tale of Túrin Turambar in a longer, more complete narrative (although it's still relatively short by modern sta
So, I decided to take the next step of Tolkien nerdom and read one of his non-Lord of the Rings books. At first I was emotionally detached from this story because, let's face it, Tolkien's never really been that great with character development. I was bored, and I thought I should probably quit. But I persevered. Good thing I did! The last half of the book picks up speed, and it turns into something reminiscent of a Greek tragedy - which is something I did not expect. It shocked me, disturbed me ...more
Lauren Giova
Jan 14, 2008 Lauren Giova rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Now, i am a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy but The Children of Hurin was sorely disappointing. Though i have to give Tolkien credit for starting a good story i would have to give his son two thumbs down in his editing abilities. I don't think i have ever read anything so coldly written in my life. There was no love in the book. I was depressed while reading it and had to make myself finish it. If there were more character building or even just some form of emotion aside from sadness ...more
Ahmed EL-Mahdy
كان طموح تولكين منذ البداية أن يقوم ببناء ميثيلوجيا كاملة تتدرج من الحكايات الكونية وقصص الخلق حتي تصل الي القصص الصغيرة وحكايات الجنيات، وأن يقوم ببناء حكايات كاملة مستقلة وسط هذا العالم الخيالي، وقد بدأ تولكين في بناء عالمه بسنوات طويلة قبل كتابة سيد الخواتم أو حتى الهوبيت، وكان هناك ثلاث حكايات هي الأقرب لقلبه وهم حكاية بيرن ولوثيان و سقوط جوندولين و أبناء هورين والأخيرة هي التي بين يدينا هنا.

بدأ تولكين في كتابة هذه القصة في صورة شعرية في البداية ككثير من قصصه وأخذت مع الوقت تكبر وتتشعب وتتعق
Oct 05, 2015 Kristalia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for everyone who can bear to read beautiful tragic story
Final rating: 5/5 stars

The Children of Húrin was one of the beautiful stories taken from The Silmarillion (Children of Húrin actually being the extended version of the story of Túrin Turambar from Silmarillion) , and the most tragic of them all. And i agree, because the fate of the Children of Húrin was not an easy one, and it was full of despair and regret. I don't think this is book for those who don't like tragedy, but i doubt there is another tragedy like this which moved me to tears. Also,
Avviso ai naviganti: questo libro e questa recensione sono espressamente consigliati agli amanti della materia tolkieniana. Tutti gli altri è meglio che se ne tengano alla larga

Infatti sono tanti e tali i riferimenti agli avvenimenti ed ai personaggi presenti negli altri tomi di Tolkien (principalmente "Il silmarillion" e "I racconti perduti"), che senza un robusto background la lettura sarebbe troppo faticosa e dispersiva.

Ed è un peccato in realtà.

Perchè al di là dell'aspetto mitologico che fa
I liked this much more than I expected I would. At first I thought it would be a complicated telling of an epic legend, so and so the son of so and so who is the son of so and so...and you get the idea. And then when I got past the introduction, which I hardly understood, I expected a watered down Tolkien for children. What I got was neither.

Maybe because it was a new unknown story for me but I actually liked it more than my recent LotR read. Is it a "better" book? Of course not. But if, like me
Jul 20, 2007 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
The Children of Hurin will make you cry--it made me cry, and that's saying something. I cry rarely, and only when something is as touching as the movie "Cool Runnings".
If you love the Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit but have not been able to muster the patience and dedication it takes to read the Silmarillion, this book will inspire you to delve deeper into the ancient, tragic and glorious history of middle earth.
The story is one of Tolkien's "Great Tales" and the text was compiled from previou
Oct 12, 2013 Nermin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Shelves: fantasy
It truly is the darkest and most depressing Tolkien book I've read so far. It's relatively slow to get into, that perhaps may explain why it took me months to finish it. But the last 50 pages or so was really interesting. Having finished the story, I think that Tolkien fans have no right to blame Martin or authors like him for being too grim, too dark and depressing since Tolkien would give them all a run for their money. In other words, this book contains incest, main characters dying bloody an ...more
Danial Behzadi
در یک کلام عالی.
داستان در ابتدا، در مورد هورین تالیون و مورون الدون، اونگونه که در «سیلماریلیون» اومده توضیح میده و بعد به سرنوشت فرزندانشون، تورین تورامبار، اورون لالایت، و نیهنور نینیل میپردازه که البته بار اصلی داستان بر دوش تورین، تنها پسر این دوست.
خود کتاب «فرزندان هورین» خیلی حجم کمتری از این ترجمه داره، در مقابل «قصّههای ناتمام» که حجم انگلیسیاش از ترجمهاش بیشتره. این موضوع من رو دچار سردرگمی کرده بود. با خوندن این کتاب بالاخره متوجّه شدم داستان از چه قراره.
گویا مترجم اثر، فصل «حدیث تور و
Βίντεο-review εδώ:
Έχοντας εδώ και χρόνια μια μεγάλη αγάπη για την ιστορία των παιδιών του Χούριν, όπως είναι στις Ατέλειωτες Ιστορίες, ήθελα εδώ και καιρό να τη διαβάσω ολοκληρωμένη. Δεν ήξερα όμως αν άξιζε τον κόπο, αν είχε κάποια έξτρα στοιχεία ή απλά ήθελε ο Κριστοφερ Τόλκιν να βγάλει κι άλλα χρήματα. Τελικά έκανα πολύ καλά που διάβασα το βιβλίο!
Η ιστορία λέγεται εδώ ολοκληρωμένη, κλείνουν οι "τρύπες", μαθαίνουμε όλες τις λεπτομέρειες. Είναι βέβαια ανα
The Children of Hurin ha i toni di un tragico poema epico.

Non c'è una quest, un tesoro da trovare o una principessa da salvare. I problemi non si risolvono con la magia ma con la spada e spesso con esiti drammatici.

E' la storia di alcuni uomini che lottano per la loro vita, la famiglia e la terra contro un potere più grande di loro, una divinità caduta che vuole estendere il suo potere sull'umanità. Turin, il protagonista, è tutt'altro che un cavaliere senza macchia, ha un carattere cupo e incl
My mother really didn't like The Children of Hurin, so I've been putting it off. Something about it being badly edited, and Christopher Tolkien's turgid prose... Coming from a recent read of The Silmarillion, it doesn't seem that bad to me. It doesn't sparkle as a finished draft would, knowing J.R.R.'s tendency to be a perfectionist, but it is perfectly readable.

Having just read The Silmarillion, though, the fact that this story is in there with most of the detail, I can't help but feel a liiiii
Adam Heine
I'm always sketchy of posthumous Tolkien. It used to be because "it wasn't Lord of the Rings," but later it was because these works involved an awful lot of exposition, telling, and names.

Children of Hurin certainly starts this way (there are 12 names in the opening paragraph alone!), but a few pages in the story started for real. After that I couldn't put it down.

This book is dark and sad and really good. It feels powerful in a way that a lot of stories don't. So I encourage you to slog through
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • Tolkien: a Biography
  • The Journeys of Frodo
  • The Endless Knot (The Song of Albion, #3)
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
  • The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

Middle-Earth Universe (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silmarillion (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-Earth
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part Two (The History of Middle-Earth, #2)
  • The Lays of Beleriand (The History of Middle-earth, #3)
  • The Shaping of Middle-Earth (The History of Middle-earth, #4)

“A man that flies from his fear may find that he has only taken a short cut to meet it.” 1316 likes
“I will not walk backward in life.” 197 likes