Start by marking “Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World” as Want to Read:
Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World

Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Read Diane McEachern's posts on the Penguin Blog.

Protecting our environment is one of the biggest issues facing our planet today. But how do we solve a problem that can seem overwhelming-even hopeless? As Diane MacEachern argues in Big Green Purse, the best way to fight the industries that pollute the planet, thereby changing the marketplace forever, is to mobilize the mos
Published February 28th 2008 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Big Green Purse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Green Purse

Heather Muzzy
Jan 18, 2010 Heather Muzzy rated it it was amazing
As an environmentalist with a flair for local activism I was delighted to find this book to recommend for the green beginner. If you already have green habits, buy less, and spend locally on organics you should get this book for a newbie you know.

It's an easy reference layout so one can flip or skip as needed and even beter to come back for a reread.

I loved how she briefly explained the minute details of extra packing of niche items and how the masses buying them are exponentially causing harm.
Iowa City Public Library
Big Green Purse: Use your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World by Diane MacEachern is a great guide for a shopper trying to make environmentally sound decisions when shopping. Many of the suggestions offered by Diane MacEachern are common sense and are becoming more and more popular. MacEachern is an environmental writer and the founder of the website biggreenpurse.com. Big Green Purse is written, as you might have picked up from the title, for women. The author states that women sp ...more
Courtney Stirrat
I cannot recommend this fantastic book enough. An incredible consciousness-raiser about environmental issues, this book provides options for small, medium and large changes to improve every aspect of the environment. The author is practical and honest about the higher cost (initially) of a lot of aspects of green living and tells her readers how to get the highest bang for their green buck.

As a result of reading this book, I remain committed to fair trade/shade grown coffee, my compost pile and
Marit
Jul 16, 2010 Marit rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this book for those who are looking to do exactly as the book title suggests. It's not a panacea of course but will give you some great ideas for alternative materials, stores, etc. AND will make you more aware of the materials that we use in daily life that may impact our health and our environment in ways we are not aware of, such as which shampoos we use or what dyes go into certain fabrics we use for clothing. Read it through as I did or just refer to certain chapters. MacEa ...more
Kimberly
Feb 07, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sustainability
What a great resource! I found this book a wonderful and informative guide. The biggest new piece of information was understanding how companies try to "green wash" consumers into thinking they are purchasing sustainable products when in fact they are not. In addition, understanding the importance of third party verification and what specific ingredients are to avoid and why was very interesting. Finally, I think this book empowers citizens especially women to be activists and use their purse to ...more
Kristin
Apr 02, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
With the obvious fact of global warming and the disasters this has created, this book is an easy read for some easy fixes in our everyday life. Stop using styrofoam, use your own mug for the many coffee hits you need to get through the day and please, turn your car off when you pick up the children from the various activities you are shuttling them to and from. Start recycling and turn off appliances.For those who are unsure where to start, this is the book for you. Small easy steps to help the ...more
Kevin
Jun 06, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
The book gives excellent ideas of not only going green but demonstrating how regular everyday products can harm a persons personal health. In addition Diane McEachern understands that not everybody can afford the green movement, therefore she suggests to go green when you can. The green movement isn't being forced upon the reader, but gives ideas to go green and Diane even gives examples of how she went green. A good read!
Chade66
May 20, 2009 Chade66 rated it liked it
I only skimmed this book, skipping much of the environmental explanations as to why I should do this or that thing. I understand most of the whys. They had many interesting suggestions, however, many of the suggestions far surpassed my wallet's ability to indulge in them.

It does have a nice list of resources for different types of green products including lists of organic clothing suppliers etc, so it could be a nice resource for that alone.
Mckinley
Dec 17, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Follow-up to Silent Spring. What you can do now about environmental concerns that have been accruing since at least the 1950s.
1. Buy less
2. Read the label
3. Support sustainable standards
4. Look for third-party verification
5. Choose fewer ingredients
6. Pick less packaging
7. Buy local

chapters focus on areas - cosmetics, cars, food and drink, cleaning, clothing, children, gardens, etc.
with lots of tips, recommended products and companies
Jennifer Kyrnin
Apr 05, 2011 Jennifer Kyrnin rated it liked it
Shelves: swap
I was given this book and it looked interesting for learning more about green living, but it really is a green shopping guide. And because I'm trying to focus my life on buying LESS this seemed something of an antithesis to what I wanted. I'm sure people who enjoy shopping more than I do (which, admittedly, is 99% of the universe) will find this book more valuable.
Lea
Apr 18, 2010 Lea rated it really liked it
This is right up my ally. A lot of what MacEachern has to say I already know, but there is also a lot of new information. National Geographic's Green Guide is a fantastic, quarterly periodical that I like a lot. The corresponding website is fantastic too (http://www.thegreenguide.com/).
Barbara
Dec 20, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Good. Informative. Answered a lot of questions. Would be good for a reference. Main beef is it doesn't deal with being a green pet owner. Maybe later editions perhaps? Kinda sobering abit and some of it I already do.
Jun 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I loved that this book actually broke down the companies that make legitimate "green" products. Typically you are just redirected to the web, but this author took the time to list them as well as describe them.
Jeffrey
Dec 11, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
If you are just starting to become aware that your spending choices are important, this will cover all the major topics for you and give some decent guidelines.

If you're already reading labels, then skip it.
Kaitlin L
Jun 01, 2009 Kaitlin L rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is such a good book. Learn how to shift your spending power to create a greener, healthier planet. She shows you how to spend the same amount of money to create less of an environmental impact.
Tiffany
Dec 09, 2009 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: birding
I really liked this book. I thought it came from a very practical point of view. I also liked that it gave you ideas on where to start greening up your life and what is actually worth your money.
Hilary
Apr 11, 2008 Hilary rated it it was amazing
This is the best book ever!!! Well, only if you are interested in commentary on how to live green! I recommend this to everyone! Wait 'til you read the ingredients in cosmetics...creepy!
Karen
Jan 30, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
This should be a standard household reference. If we all did HALF of what's in here, the planet would stand a chance of surviving. Karen
Elisabeth
Jul 20, 2009 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
All you ever wanted to know about green purchasing, from cleansers to clothes to carpeting, etc.
Beth
Jun 08, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
Great reference tool for using your wallet to make wiser, greener consumer choices.
Heidi
Aug 21, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Great ideas, many of them simple to employ. The book is well organized and easy to read.
Amanda
Oct 17, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Real eye opening book abour what we use and what we should be using.
Vanessa Knepp
Apr 06, 2009 Vanessa Knepp rated it it was amazing
Great Read! Full of information everyone should know!
Liz
Jul 24, 2009 Liz added it
Shelves: continued
Haven't finished it yet...so far very enlightening.
Jamila
Nov 08, 2008 Jamila rated it liked it
Recommends it for: environmental types
Good for reference. Not a book I would read page to page.
Gina (Weena)
Jan 06, 2009 Gina (Weena) rated it it was amazing
Definitely a great resource worth checking out.
Michelle
Oct 02, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
So helpful!!
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • Gorgeously Green
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of
  • The Body Toxic: How the Hazardous Chemistry of Everyday Things Threatens Our Health and Well-being
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style
  • This Moment on Earth: Today's New Environmentalists and Their Vision for the Future
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • NYC Ballet Workout
  • Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case For A More Joyful Christmas
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs