Start by marking “Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World” as Want to Read:
Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World

Big Green Purse: Use Your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Read Diane McEachern's posts on the Penguin Blog.

Protecting our environment is one of the biggest issues facing our planet today. But how do we solve a problem that can seem overwhelming-even hopeless? As Diane MacEachern argues in Big Green Purse, the best way to fight the industries that pollute the planet, thereby changing the marketplace forever, is to mobilize the mo...more
Published February 28th 2008 by Avery Trade

To ask other readers questions about Big Green Purse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Green Purse

Heather Muzzy
As an environmentalist with a flair for local activism I was delighted to find this book to recommend for the green beginner. If you already have green habits, buy less, and spend locally on organics you should get this book for a newbie you know.

It's an easy reference layout so one can flip or skip as needed and even beter to come back for a reread.

I loved how she briefly explained the minute details of extra packing of niche items and how the masses buying them are exponentially causing harm....more
Iowa City Public Library
Big Green Purse: Use your Spending Power to Create a Cleaner, Greener World by Diane MacEachern is a great guide for a shopper trying to make environmentally sound decisions when shopping. Many of the suggestions offered by Diane MacEachern are common sense and are becoming more and more popular. MacEachern is an environmental writer and the founder of the website biggreenpurse.com. Big Green Purse is written, as you might have picked up from the title, for women. The author states that women sp...more
Courtney Stirrat
I cannot recommend this fantastic book enough. An incredible consciousness-raiser about environmental issues, this book provides options for small, medium and large changes to improve every aspect of the environment. The author is practical and honest about the higher cost (initially) of a lot of aspects of green living and tells her readers how to get the highest bang for their green buck.

As a result of reading this book, I remain committed to fair trade/shade grown coffee, my compost pile and...more
Marit
Highly recommend this book for those who are looking to do exactly as the book title suggests. It's not a panacea of course but will give you some great ideas for alternative materials, stores, etc. AND will make you more aware of the materials that we use in daily life that may impact our health and our environment in ways we are not aware of, such as which shampoos we use or what dyes go into certain fabrics we use for clothing. Read it through as I did or just refer to certain chapters. MacEa...more
Kimberly
What a great resource! I found this book a wonderful and informative guide. The biggest new piece of information was understanding how companies try to "green wash" consumers into thinking they are purchasing sustainable products when in fact they are not. In addition, understanding the importance of third party verification and what specific ingredients are to avoid and why was very interesting. Finally, I think this book empowers citizens especially women to be activists and use their purse to...more
Kristin
With the obvious fact of global warming and the disasters this has created, this book is an easy read for some easy fixes in our everyday life. Stop using styrofoam, use your own mug for the many coffee hits you need to get through the day and please, turn your car off when you pick up the children from the various activities you are shuttling them to and from. Start recycling and turn off appliances.For those who are unsure where to start, this is the book for you. Small easy steps to help the...more
Chade66
I only skimmed this book, skipping much of the environmental explanations as to why I should do this or that thing. I understand most of the whys. They had many interesting suggestions, however, many of the suggestions far surpassed my wallet's ability to indulge in them.

It does have a nice list of resources for different types of green products including lists of organic clothing suppliers etc, so it could be a nice resource for that alone.
Mckinley
Follow-up to Silent Spring. What you can do now about environmental concerns that have been accruing since at least the 1950s.
1. Buy less
2. Read the label
3. Support sustainable standards
4. Look for third-party verification
5. Choose fewer ingredients
6. Pick less packaging
7. Buy local

chapters focus on areas - cosmetics, cars, food and drink, cleaning, clothing, children, gardens, etc.
with lots of tips, recommended products and companies
Erin Luhks
Mostly just lists that I've already encountered online, nice to have them in one place, I guess. More of a Green shopping primer. Explains environmental hazards nicely. Does a good job of giving gradually greener examples. For instance, the best would be, but if you can't do that, then you can try this at least kind of thing. Does a good job of not proselytizing too much.
Jennifer Kyrnin
I was given this book and it looked interesting for learning more about green living, but it really is a green shopping guide. And because I'm trying to focus my life on buying LESS this seemed something of an antithesis to what I wanted. I'm sure people who enjoy shopping more than I do (which, admittedly, is 99% of the universe) will find this book more valuable.
Lea
This is right up my ally. A lot of what MacEachern has to say I already know, but there is also a lot of new information. National Geographic's Green Guide is a fantastic, quarterly periodical that I like a lot. The corresponding website is fantastic too (http://www.thegreenguide.com/).
Barbara
Good. Informative. Answered a lot of questions. Would be good for a reference. Main beef is it doesn't deal with being a green pet owner. Maybe later editions perhaps? Kinda sobering abit and some of it I already do.
Jenny
I loved that this book actually broke down the companies that make legitimate "green" products. Typically you are just redirected to the web, but this author took the time to list them as well as describe them.
Jeffrey
If you are just starting to become aware that your spending choices are important, this will cover all the major topics for you and give some decent guidelines.

If you're already reading labels, then skip it.
Kaitlin L
This is such a good book. Learn how to shift your spending power to create a greener, healthier planet. She shows you how to spend the same amount of money to create less of an environmental impact.
Tiffany
I really liked this book. I thought it came from a very practical point of view. I also liked that it gave you ideas on where to start greening up your life and what is actually worth your money.
Hilary
This is the best book ever!!! Well, only if you are interested in commentary on how to live green! I recommend this to everyone! Wait 'til you read the ingredients in cosmetics...creepy!
Karen
This should be a standard household reference. If we all did HALF of what's in here, the planet would stand a chance of surviving. Karen
Elisabeth
All you ever wanted to know about green purchasing, from cleansers to clothes to carpeting, etc.
Beth
Great reference tool for using your wallet to make wiser, greener consumer choices.
Heidi
Great ideas, many of them simple to employ. The book is well organized and easy to read.
Amanda
Real eye opening book abour what we use and what we should be using.
Vanessa Knepp
Great Read! Full of information everyone should know!
Liz
Jul 24, 2009 Liz added it
Shelves: continued
Haven't finished it yet...so far very enlightening.
Jamila
Nov 08, 2008 Jamila rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: environmental types
Good for reference. Not a book I would read page to page.
Weena
Definitely a great resource worth checking out.
Michelle
So helpful!!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
C.ledoux
C.ledoux marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • Gorgeously Green
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • Confessions of an Eco-Sinner: Tracking Down the Sources of My Stuff
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • The Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure
  • Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case For A More Joyful Christmas
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • A Slice of Organic Life
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • The Flexitarian Table: Inspired, Flexible Meals for Vegetarians, Meat Lovers, and Everyone in Between
  • Swimming with Piranhas at Feeding Time: My Life Doing Dumb Stuff with Animals