Start by marking “Mania: A Short History of Bipolar Disorder” as Want to Read:
Mania: A Short History of Bipolar Disorder

Mania: A Short History of Bipolar Disorder (Johns Hopkins Biographies of Disease)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This provocative history of bipolar disorder illuminates how perceptions of illness, if not the illnesses themselves, are mutable over time. Beginning with the origins of the concept of mania—and the term maniac—in ancient Greek and Roman civilizations, renowned psychiatrist David Healy examines how concepts of mental afflictions evolved as scientific breakthroughs establi ...more
Published May 22nd 2008 by Johns Hopkins University Press

To ask other readers questions about Mania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mania

Donna
Clearly written and never too dry. This does a great service to the subject as a history and also to Healy's other subject, which is the brave new world we're entering via expansions of the DSM that pathologize human variation, as well as diagnosis by proxy, and drug trials that leave a lot to the imagination.
Fun fact for painters: Carbamazepine was one of a series of tricyclic molecules stemming from the iminodibenzyl dye, summer blue.
Chilling words: "Adolescence has been easy to deal with beca
Sian Jones
Perhaps I should have known from the description (and publisher) that this is an academic text that pursues finer points of medical historiography, but I think I was hoping for something along the lines of Peter Kramer's "On Depression". And while I found the parts of the book I read to be intellectually interesting, it didn't provide the practical, contemporary information I was looking for, so I stopped reading.
Kristen Blankenship
May 25, 2010 Kristen Blankenship rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
This book has an important while disturbing message. I think it is important for people to read especially those who are concerned with their own personal mental health or that of their child. The three star rating was given only because the writing style for me was very labored. It was full of references, but for me it was so much that I got a bit lost. I guess you might say it was somewhat like a text book. Of course, I am sure I will return to this book in the future for that very reason.
Kate
More like a 3.5. Very interesting, especially when it turned into a discussion of randomized controlled trials and their role in modern pharmacology. I will have to find more biographies of disease.
Alan Portela
Alan Portela is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Daniel Watts
Daniel Watts marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
J. Robin Moon
J. Robin Moon is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Hanna C
Hanna C marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Laura Strickland
Laura Strickland marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
struisvogel
struisvogel marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Vilius Butrimas
Vilius Butrimas marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Chris Rudge
Chris Rudge is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2014
Carol Currie
Carol Currie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Zed
Zed added it
Feb 06, 2013
Corinne Nicholson
Corinne Nicholson is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2013
Vuk
Vuk marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
David Healy is a former secretary of the British Association for Psychopharmacology and author of over 120 articles and 12 books, including The Antidepressant Era and The Creation of Psychopharmacology.
More about David Healy...

Johns Hopkins Biographies of Disease (7 books)
  • Aging Bones: A Short History of Osteoporosis
  • Dropsy, Dialysis, Transplant: A Short History of Failing Kidneys
  • The PKU Paradox: A Short History of a Genetic Disease
  • Anxiety: A Short History
  • Death in a Small Package: A Short History of Anthrax (Johns Hopkins Biographies of Disease)
  • The Making of a Tropical Disease: A Short History of Malaria
Pharmageddon Let Them Eat Prozac: The Unhealthy Relationship Between the Pharmaceutical Industry and Depression The Creation of Psychopharmacology The Antidepressant Era Psychiatric Drugs Explained