Start by marking “Les rois maudits Vols 1-7” as Want to Read:
Les rois maudits Vols 1-7

Les rois maudits Vols 1-7 (Les Rois Maudits #1-7)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  859 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Tous maudits, jusqu'à la septième génération!": telle est la funeste malédiction que le chef des templiers, depuis les flammes du bûcher, lance au visage de Philippe leBel, roi de France. Nous sommes en 1314 et la prophétie va se réaliser: pendant plus d'un demi-siècle, les rois se succèdent sur le trône de France, mais n'y restent jamais bien longtemps. D'intrigues de pa ...more
Published 1999 by Plon (first published 1955)

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey ChaucerA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanWorld Without End by Ken Follett
Best Middle Ages Books
62nd out of 861 books — 1,010 voters
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryLes Misérables by Victor HugoThe Stranger by Albert CamusThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasMadame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Best French Literature
66th out of 559 books — 1,027 voters

More lists with this book...

Arto
J'ai aime la serie, sauf le dernier livre "Quand un Roi perd la France".
Melinda Ross
A fantastic chunk of the royal history of France. A matter-of-fact approach of all the cruelty, plots, tragedy, deceit, drama and intrigues taking place among royal personages. A simple and shocking way to trade anything for power, a time and place where human lives held less value than a title for those always ready to kill and betray. I've rarely read such a controversial and shocking book, the more so as it is inspired by real facts and people: the cursed dynasty of the French kings.
Nicolas
A great way to learn some French history. It took me like 3 months to read all seven of them and it paid off... I was overwhelmed with the cruelty of the people around the kings and queens and how they would do anything to get more power. Greed for more, that's how politics worked then and it's not so different on how it works now, the only difference is that now they won't poison you to get where you are.
Julia Simpson-Urrutia
I have read the first four volumes of this wonderful series and I can't wait to get the last three volumes. It brings French history alive. I love Maurice Druon's manner of getting inside his characters' heads and his wonderful reflections that resonate so well with my take on life.
Silvia Oliva
La primera vez leí la serie en francés, en dos meses la terminé porque es sencillamente adictiva, la segunda en castellano y me tarde muchísimo menos, obviamente. Mi volumen favorito es el primero, me declaré enamorada de Felipe el Hermoso.
Ernesto Ron
al que le guste la historia bien contada y veridica es un coleccion altamente recomendable
Ayman
Because I can't rate it 3.5, I resign myself to rate it 4 stars.

On the whole, I found it to be a very good historical novel series that taught me a lot about this fascinating period as well as moved and thrilled me.

Set over a period of 29 years (from 1314 to 1343), the story focuses primarily on the rivalry and clash between Robert d'Artois (undoubtedly the series' main protagonist) and his aunt Mahaut over the disputed county of Artois, which contributed to the outbreak of the Hundred Years'
Hélène Séguin
Un des meilleurs livres que j'ai lu. Un superbe roman historique qui nous transporte au coeur de la France de Philippe Le Bel et du procès des Templiers.
Czarny Pies
Nov 13, 2014 Czarny Pies rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: French and English Readers
Recommended to Czarny by: Elvis Malenfant
Shelves: french-lit, favorites
This is a truly great historical series. It shows that being great villain is requires a great deal of hard-work, intelligence and commitment. Moral scruples are a distinct disadvantage.

During WWII Maurice Druon fought with the Free French under Charles de Gaulle. The experience left Druon with the conviction that countries need great leaders like de Gaulle or Churchill if they are to be great. As well, it left him with a profound admiration for the British fighting man which shows through in th
Gabriela Harpa
Would be nice to get all of these in English!!!
Vasilena
If I could rate with more than 5 stars on here I would! Just flipped through a few pages of my editions today (quite the battered copies!) and thought to give the novels a rating on here as well. Some excruciating research went into this classic historical fiction saga, but the details aren't boggling it down, as just the right amount of speculation is added. I was lucky enough to have read it early on in my life, and few have been comparable since then.
Elisabeth
Rien de comparable en terme de roman historique.
On est happé par l'histoire du début à la fin. Le personnage préféré de l'auteur est Robert d'Artois et la série se termine par sa mort.
Pour comprendre les débuts de la guerre de cent ans. Pour comprendre la loi des mâles qui persiste toujours en France. (L'académie française a longtemps été pour hommes seulement. Il n'y a toujours pas de présidente en France).
5/5
Eleanor
Dec 01, 2008 Eleanor rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in French history lite
Recommended to Eleanor by: Lane Whitney, Caroline Rowland
It really bugs me when I can't find the right edition of the book I read... I read the first book in this series "Le Roi de Fer." It's certainly a good way to learn the soap opera version of the history of French royalty. It made for good class discussion and comparisons with contemporary politics.
Liviu
now that even GRRM endorsed it as a main source of Got and a new translation is in the works for 2013, this unmatched work of "real" fiction should get the exposure it deserves in the English speaking world
Nikki
The first four books are great, but it goes rapidly downhill from there. Didn't finish the last one.
Anca Stratulat
A piece of France's history, with all the intrigues at the court, the love stories and royal affairs.
Cristina
If you want to learn a bit of history, you can find this book quite captivating.
Alex Zbarcea
History, adventure, morals, love, faith, trust, betrayal, one of the best books I read
Anne♡loves♡romance
Une extraordinaire série historique qui m'a tenu en haleine pendant des mois.
oOSarahOo
Un livre culte que je pourrais lire et relire sans jamais m'en lasser.
Andy Detaille
absolutely brilliant. Read it in French if you can.
Lien
Aug 16, 2012 Lien added it
superb... one of the few I read again and again and again!
Poly
Aprender de la historia de Francia
R
Sep 27, 2012 R is currently reading it

Mériem
the best book ever!
Corinne Berend
Corinne Berend marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Mansoor Niyazmetov
Mansoor Niyazmetov marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
  • Fortune de France (Fortune de France, #1)
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • Young Henry of Navarre
  • Jean de Florette
  • La parfaite lumière (La pierre et le sabre #2)
  • Un bon petit diable
  • La Conquête de Plassans (Les Rougon-Macquart, #4)
  • Le diable en rit encore, 1944-1945 (La bicyclette bleue, #3)
  • La Horde du Contrevent
  • Thérèse Desqueyroux
  • La Vallée des larmes (Coeur de Gaël, #1)
  • Adélaïde (Le goût du bonheur, #2)
  • L'œuvre au noir
  • La Plus Belle Histoire du Monde
Maurice Druon was born in Paris. He is the nephew of the writer Joseph Kessel, with whom he wrote the Chant des Partisans, which, with music composed by Anna Marly, was used as an anthem by the French Resistance during the Second World War.

In 1948 he received the Prix Goncourt for his novel Les grandes familles. On December 8, 1966, he was elected to the 30th seat of the Académie française, succee
More about Maurice Druon...

Les Rois Maudits (7 books)
  • The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1)
  • The Strangled Queen (Los Reyes Malditos, #2)
  • Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3)
  • La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4)
  • La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)
  • La flor de lis y el león (Los Reyes Malditos, #6)
  • De como un rey perdió Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #7)
The Iron King (The Accursed Kings, #1) The Strangled Queen (Los Reyes Malditos, #2) Los venenos de la corona (Los Reyes Malditos, #3) La ley de los varones (Los Reyes Malditos, #4) La loba de Francia (Los Reyes Malditos, #5)

“Il y a dans l'Histoire une singulière lignée, toujours renouvelée, de fanatiques de l'ordre. Voués à une idole abstraite et absolue, pour eux les vie humaines ne sont d'aucune valeur si elles attentent au dogme des institutions; et l'on dirait qu'ils ont oublié que la collectivité qu'ils servent est composée d'hommes. (partie 2, chapitre 9)” 2 likes