Start by marking “Amandina” as Want to Read:
Amandina

Amandina

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  15 reviews
AMANDINA HAD EVERY TALENT MADE FOR THE STAGE, EXCEPT ONE: Confidence.

She dances, sings, acts, and performs acrobatics, but no one knows because Amandina is terribly shy. Determined to change that, she rents a run-down theater and prepares to give the show of her life. She builds the sets, makes the costumes, and, most importantly, invites everyone in town. When the night o
Published September 2nd 2008 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Amandina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amandina

Betsy
There is a very specific feeling you get from a picture book when the combination of text and image is pitch perfect. It’s a very hard thing to get, mind you. You might have a book where the words are lovely and the pictures exciting, but if the two don’t work in tandem then your end product is going to end up a merely okay bit of indistinguishable dribble. A hint of what might have been will hover over the reading experience. I mention this because I’m trying to find a way to explain why Amandi ...more
Kathryn
I'm really not sure what I thought of this book. Amandina is such a blend of curiously-cute and just-plain-odd-looking!!! But, her perseverance and imagination won me over, just proving once again that it's what's inside that counts! ;-> I want to go see the play she puts on!!!
Joelle
We really enjoyed this book. Amandina is a puppy who puts on a wonderful show despite the fact that no one shows up initially. The story and illustrations are just lovely. We fell in love with Amandina right away.
Deborah
Dec 10, 2008 Deborah added it
Shelves: picturebooks
So sweet.
Taurean J. Watkins
“There are no small parts. Only small actors."

It’s a common saying among thespians (*a fancy word for “performers “), but while that sentiment can be debatable, depending on the production, it’s more or less true.

No one knows this better than Amandina. She can sing, dance, and act, but she lacked two things every performer needs: an audience, and self-confidence. She’s also intensly shy, something this lit. rat can relate to, as that was me as a rattling who had not yet discovered my love for li
Roben
I loved Amandina Goldeneyes. She is one very talented pooch! But she lacks confidence. And friends. So she decides to put on a show to share her talents. Only - no one comes. But Amandina perseveres. The show must go on - even if there is no audience. Fortunately, a cockroach comes to the rescue! I know - it sounds totally bizarre. But read it. And share it with K and 1st graders to prompt some discussion on not giving up and believing in yourself.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-3. Perseverance. I like how this book shows the importance of doing things for your own satisfaction and improvement. Shy Amandina decides to put on a play for her community. She gets everything ready herself-- including the renovation of the theatre, set design, costumes and script-writing. But the day of the big performance, nobody shows up. Amandina decides to go ahead and perform anyway, much to the joy of passers-by.
Sandra Stiles
Amandina is a talented dog. She rents a theater and does everything from making costumes to creating the scenery to prepare for a show. As the curtain goes up she realizes the theater is empty. She goes ahead and performs. A cockroach sees her and tells a friend, who tells a friend and when she is finished she is surprised to hear applause from the full theater.
Cedar
Feb 01, 2012 Cedar rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children, young at heart.
I love this. Creepy drawings, with a nice story. Amandina is a very lonely puppy, this is mainly due to being shy as she is definitely not lacking in talent....

Since having my son, i buy alot of picture books. Most never make it onto goodreads, however due to this one just being beautiful, it has...

Certainly worth a look in.
MissInformation
Amandina is a talented pup with a desire to put on a show for her town. She does everything herself, from fixing up the old theater to making costumes- but on opening night no one shows up. In a terrific show of spirit, she performs her play anyway. Text is simple enough for story time, but the watercolor illustrations are small.
Tricia
something creepy yet appealing to this book. a strange looking dog with much talent wants to put on a show. cockroach spreads the word and the empty theater fills up. applause pleases her. the end.
Megan
Loved, loved, loved this book. So touching. The overall message I got from the book is to make yourself happy and to enjoy your own company and friendships will follow naturally.
Bethany Boutin
A charming tale of a little dog who doesn't let shyness stop her from expressing her creativity in performance.
Katherine
Adorable art, but the story lacks warmth. Amandina's loneliness is not resolved with any depth.
Mckinley
Honeeslyt the drawing of the dog freaked me out a little. The story is good.
Tina
Dec 10, 2009 Tina added it
Shelves: picture-books
"talent, shy, dogs, performing"
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Casey
Casey added it
Jan 07, 2015
Kirry
Kirry added it
Dec 28, 2014
Juliette
Juliette marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
GoldfiKids
GoldfiKids marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Website and blog: http://www.ruzzier.com

Sergio Ruzzier was born in Milan, Italy, in 1966.

He began his career as an illustrator in 1986.

In 1995 he moved to New York City, where he’s been creating pictures and stories for national and international magazines and book publishers.

His work has been awarded by American Illustration, The Society of Illustrators, Communication Arts, and The Society of Pub
More about Sergio Ruzzier...
Bear and Bee A Letter for Leo Hey, Rabbit! Bear and Bee Too Busy The Room of Wonders