Start by marking “Six Easy Pieces: Easy Rawlins Stories” as Want to Read:
Six Easy Pieces: Easy Rawlins Stories

Six Easy Pieces: Easy Rawlins Stories (Easy Rawlins #8)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  1,043 ratings  ·  41 reviews
New Easy Rawlins mysteries--original short stories from the New York Times bestselling and award-winning mystery author. As Carolyn See said in The Washington Post Book World: "God bless the day that Walter Mosley created Easy Rawlins!"

This handsome collection contains six interconnected stories. Fans can now add these original stories to their Walter Mosley library: "Smok
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published July 1st 2003 by Macmillan Audio (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Six Easy Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Easy Pieces

Natalie
This is my second time reading "Six Easy Pieces." I felt a little bit lost the first time because I had read this out of order. So I suggest you read "The Little Yellow Dog" before S.E.P. if you are a fan of the series. If not, well, this book does hold it's own. Six easy Pieces is a collection of short stories. They follow along sequentially but each story begins by filling you in with as much of the back story as you will need to proceed. That back story is the climax of "The Little Yellow Dog ...more
Paul Cockeram
Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins comes from the same tradition as Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe. All of them are hard-boiled detectives working on the side of truth and justice amidst the gritty, dangerous streets of Los Angeles. Walter Mosley expands the detective story into African American neighborhoods. He writes with brutal honesty and candor about the black man's mistrust of the white man, and the white man's sense of superiority over the black. As much as Easy mistrusts the white man, however, he lo ...more
Henry Brown
I didn't read the description carefully and assumed this was another Easy Rawlins novel. It is actually a collection of Easy Rawlins short stories, as the title hints.

The year is 1964 and Easy is in his '40s now, with a full-time job as custodian at a public school. He is drawn back into the business of trading favors and unofficial detective work and once he starts, he can't stop during the course of these adventures. The stories are loosely connected, mostly by two themes: 1. Guilt over the de
Guy
Gedaan met die naar kleuren verwijzende titels. Six Easy Pieces (Easy Rawlins #8) kan 1) een verwijzing naar de film Five Easy Pieces (1970) zijn (met een gewéldige Jack Nicholson, kijken!), 2) het verwijst natuurlijk naar het hoofdpersonage Easy Rawlins, 3) suggereert dat het gaat om iets lichtvoetigers of verteerbaarders en 4) zaait verwarring omdat het eigenlijk gaat om zeven verhalen. De eerste zes verschenen apart als bonus bij een heruitgave van de eerste zes delen, het zevende is nieuw. M ...more
Ritta
Easy Rawlings is a good man to meet through Moseley's writings. As a collection some of his material felt a little repetitive. And for the life of me I could see no redeeming qualities about Easy's beloved friend Raymond. I may have to read an earlier book to truly understand what it is that brought these two so close.
Lethea
I've always been a fan of Walter Mosley. Oh my goodness did this book take me on a Ferris wheel ride. I'm so glad that mouse wasn't dead. Walter Mosley's style of writing is easy and flows smoothly. Easy is just too smooth for me. Good book.
Derek Emerson
No lengthy review here. Mosley is almost always enjoyable and Easy Rawlins one of his best characters. This collection puts together six stories (and a 7th unrelated one) which were published at the back of some reissues of Rawlins novels. A decent story, but because they appeared separately we get a lot of repeated information to set up the stories. The extra stories in the reissues was a ploy to get past readers to buy new editions -- hey, if it works, fine. But before putting them together th ...more
Brendan Walsh
Can never get enough of Easy Rawlins
David Macpherson
This is my first Easy Rollins book and I am so stuck in the middle, but it was good writing with fine sense of place and character. The mystery parts showed a consistent weakness, where Easy just stumbles into the conclusion, usually finding the victim or the bad guy just recently killed by someone else. This trick was used in most of the stories and it became apparrant that this was a schtick. But who am I to worry? The writing was strong and the characters were good company for the time I spen ...more
Rebecca
I got sucked into reading this book instead of my mystery group selection Devil in a Blue Dress, because the digital version of that book had the first chapter of this book as an excerpt at the beginning. Confused yet? Anyway, I got so sucked into the storyline, I had to finish this book before continuing onto that book. I couldn't believe I had never read a Walter Mosley novel before! I. Loved the flavor of it, and I loved Easy as a character, his moral ambiguity is nothing new, but his voice i ...more
Monique
Even though this was a collection of short stories, they all blended well together. I expected for them to just be snippets about various crimes that Easy Rawlings became involved in, but they could have been chapters in a novel, probably closer to a memoir-style writing. I believe it took me about a day and a half to read this book, whereas I usually will read a book over 3 to 4 weeks depending on level of stress, etc. Definitely another great book from Walter Mosley.
Dev
Easy Rawlins crime stories do a nice job of portraying the life of a black man in LA throughout the 1940's to 70's. Mosley never caves to making his stories bigger than they should be a la James Ellroy and his almost phantasmagoric expansion from the LA scene of the 50's to the Kennedy conspiracies of the 60's. Mosley deals w/the everyday, the routine, but by keeping the stories small he keeps the character anchored to reality, and we, the reader, are better for it.
Kendall
I stumbled on this before knowing about Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series. Not outstanding as literature, but very enjoyable, any mystery fan should savor it. In today's entertainment climate, it's nice to see a black hero who is both smart and good, good in the old sense of committed to doing the right thing for his fellow man. His day job as a janitor in a Junior High says tons about the culture we hopefully have left behind.
Scott Alexander
I loved reading Six Easy Pieces. This is one of those works that forever influence me as a writer. The bleding of these stories are fantastic. Using Six short stories to tell the narrative of a much larger life is truly remarkable. One of the best instances of short fiction becoming bigger than its genre.
For sure, a memorable read from beginning to end.
Steve
This is a collection of 7 (!) short stories involving the private eye Easy Rawlins. Six were originally written for other publications, while one was new for the book. They continue Easy’s search for what happened to his friend Mouse, as well as his usual juggling of his work on the streets, at the school, and his home life.
James Webster
Enjoyable trawl through small-time crookery. Easy Rawlins is a sympathetic character trying to do the right thing in a world of low-lifes. I do have one important question, though: how diss he hold down his job as High School Building Supervisor when he spends SO MUCH of his time sorting out other people's problems?
MamaCarrie
One of my favorite Easy Rawlins books. A collection of 6 short stories with their own small arc, which also fit in to the larger arc of the entire book, and indeed in the arc of Easy's life.
I really enjoy this character and Mosley's writing. If you enjoy mysteries and character development, check him out!
Tynece
I didn't realize I read 3 of these stories at the beginning of other books before until I started reading Six Easy Pieces. I enjoyed reading them all together. Easy Rawlins is the best I love all of his novels. I can't wait to get my hands on the newest one. I'm curious to see how he escaped death.
Mary Newcomb
Despite the title, this book includes seven short stories all involving Ezekiel “Easy” Rawlins. Los Angeles in the 1950s was an interesting place, especially for someone with the dreams and talents of Easy Rawlins. I enjoy my visits to that era in his company.
Ed
Six Easy Rawlins stories, loosely linked together. I enjoyed the first one, but the formula got tedious. Rawlins is given a complex biography, but his bio doesn't seem to have much to do with the mysteries he gets involved in.
Thom (T.E.)
A very solid collection of short stories and novelettes based around the Easy Rawlins character. Occasionally a plot is slightly underdeveloped (or, more frequently, the story cries out for some more of Mosley's magic).
Kimberley Bugg
If you like Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins series you will not be disappointed. All those great characters that we have come to expect in an Easy mystery are included. Its a nice culmination of alot of other stories
Marissa Morrison
I found these short stories even more enjoyable than an Easy Rawlins novel. Mosley has thrown about a dozen colorful characters into each story, and they all come through loud and clear through Mosley's sharp writing.
Tk
Can't go wrong with Easy Rawlins... good good good
Ashley
Interesting perspective of a black man in the 60's. I like the investigations but the language and situations are not for the light hearted.
Ms. Angie
I love Easy Rollins' smooth street smarts and savvy. I love mysteries and solving problems and I found his books both satisfying and entertaining.
June anne
Easy reading, familiar faces... six short Easy Rawlins stories that have a common thread - is the Mouse there for Easy...
Ladybuggs
I love Easy. Kinda like Denzel in the Mighty Quinn. A short story collection that builds one story upon another.
Christopher Ryan
A collection of Easy Rawlings short stories. Fun, but I wanted each story to be a novel. Mosley is just that good.
Rachel
Of course, I even loved reading about my anti-hero in short story format, a format I usually distain!
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • The Wycherly Woman
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • Some People, Some Other Place
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
  • Nightfall
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Singing in the Comeback Choir
20850
Walter Mosley (b. 1952) is the author of the bestselling mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, as well as numerous other works, from literary fiction and science fiction to a young adult novel and political monographs. His short fiction has been widely published, and his nonfiction has appeared in the New York Times Magazine and the Nation, among other publications. Mosley is the winner of numero ...more
More about Walter Mosley...
Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins #1) The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey Black Betty (Easy Rawlins #4) Little Scarlet (Easy Rawlins #9) Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned