Start by marking “Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder” as Want to Read:
Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder

Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The NFL legend and Heisman Trophy winner shares the inspiring story of his life and diagnosis with dissociative identity disorder.Herschel Walker is widely regarded as one of football's greatest running backs. He led the University of Georgia to victory in the Sugar Bowl on the way to an NCAA Championship and he capped a sensational college career by earning the 1982 Heism ...more
Published April 14th 2008 by Touchstone Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Free

Manda
Jun 19, 2008 Manda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
An absolutely amazing story of a true American Hero. I have always been a fan of UGA and the "great" Herschel Walker...but never new the inner battle he dealt with daily. I am truly an even bigger fan now for having read his touching story of childhood trauma and struggles of his mental illness. I can say that he is quite a man!!!

I suggest this book to anyone...it is an encouragement to christians, those who suffer from DID, and just for anyone who is a fan.

Larry
When I was at UGA Hershel Walker sat a couple of seats in front of me in Geology class. I used to wonder what his life was like. He was in front of the cameras, his image broadcast across the nation one moment and then two days later he was sitting at the desk in front of me in Geology class. His book tells about his experience with multiple personalities. Though the diagnosis might be controversial, his story is about a tormented young man who hid his problems fairly well.

For most people, thi
Angela Carroll
Bravo-I wish there was a movie about Herschel instead of Sybil regarding DID. He earned my respect a long time ago after I read that his workout routine did not involve lifting weights but included completing 2500 sit-ups and 1500 push-ups every single day. I had no idea that he competed in the 1992 Winter Olympics on the bobsled team. I had no idea that he had DID and that it could be utilized in a positive way.

Some people will not like the simplistic writing style of this publication but I fo
Luella
I loved this book. This book was about the famed running back Herschel Walker and his life living with DID which is dissociative identity disorder. I actually came to admire him while he tells his story and how his DID affected his life from a child. I really admired where he came from and how he changed from a chubby child to a disciplined physical perfect specimen taking him all the way to the NFL. But the most important thing was his perseverance in dealing with the negative influences of his ...more
Kyle Van Cleave
A very inspiring story. Walker is a truely unique human being. From his physical gifts, his drive to succeed, and his intelligence, he has accomplished some very amazing things. Learning about his condition, DID, you can appreciate his achievements even more.
Imran Razack
I read this book not having even heard of the name "Hershel Walker" until now.

This book was just awe inspiring dealing every step of Walkers's unforgettable journey to being the best athlete to ever play in the NFL. It tells how Hersehl overcame troubles in his youth and getting himself into shape by running against "trains". Yes, you heard me correctly he tried for run faster than trains, but this book isn't truly about his athletic ability it's about something else and that something has been
Rena
Strongly recommend!! What a story!! I am not a football fan, but I became a Herschel Walker fan!!! What a life!
April
The writing style wasn't the best, but that's not the problem I had with it. There weren't any glaring mistakes or anything -- it was just written simplistically. But that's okay.

My problem with it is that the only reason that Hershel gave for having DID was having been bullied in school. I'm sorry, but that is NOT enough for someone to develop DID. Either he doesn't want to speak poorly of his family, is in denial about abuse from his family, OR he didn't remember anything abuse that occurred i
Joseph Emmanuel de Guzman
Who would've thought one of the best football players had a disorder that drove him to his knees? Walker's story is a must read in order for people to understand the individuality of everyone on the planet and the pressure that professional athletes experience on a daily basis.

Sometimes technical but otherwise endearing. The book provides a clear look at the psyche of a man many have learned to love and idolize in and out of the gridiron.

Brevin
May 11, 2015 Brevin is currently reading it
In the time when Herschel was a little kid to present day and the main character in the book is Herschel. The reason my author wrote this book was for the other people struggling with DID and wanted other people to know how he got through it. A significant thing about my author is that he had DID and wanted other people to know how to get through it. A couple events are that Herschel talks about what he did when he was a child, how he made it to the University of Georgia, and how he made it into ...more
David
Herschel Walker's battle with Dissociative Identity Disorder should be a fascinating story, but I wasn't nearly as interested as I might have thought. I can't tell if the problem lies with the way the book is written or if it's the story itself: do I blame the ghost writers or the man himself for not having an interesting enough story?
I choose to blame the ghost writers, since it was up to them to shape his life in a manner that would make for a better read. (But it doesn't help that there is wa
Christine
While I appreciate that Walker is opening up about his personal life and his struggles, I became bored with the lack of dialogue and didn't like the writing style. The content of the book was interesting and sometimes even compelling, though.
Adam
Interesting to read about his appreciation for the parts of himself that comprised his eventual diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder. But just not a great book - I didn't really enjoy his writing.
Megan
Walker suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder (nee multiple personality disorder). His story is very interesting, as he goes through episodes of his life to explain how this disorder both helped and hindered him in various situations. He has a nice mix of faith and science to explain and overcome his condition. However, it's rather short and I'd have loved to hear more about what kinds of therapy he found helpful - what did doctors actually do for him? It's just such an uncommon disorder th ...more
Amy
Heavy on Jesus, light on football. If you're not a Georgia/Herschel fan, it's probably not something I would recommend. The book is about his struggle with DID and it's pretty clear that he didn't write much of it, but rather dictated it or told a series of stories and had the collaborating authors pull it all together. And I don't think they did the greatest job - the book kind of jumps all over the place. There are a couple of fun stories and interesting revelations, but the only thing that ke ...more
Jeff
Herschel is one of my top 3 favorite athletes of all-time. I really enjoyed getting to know him better. He's been through a battle psychologically. I hope he continues to do better. If you're a Georgia fan, a must read.
Sphinx Feathers
Interesting, but more just a biography. The book had very little to do with mental illness (of any sort) and more to do with making the right choice, being Christian and preservering through all adversities.
Cathleen
Jul 09, 2009 Cathleen marked it as to-read
Shelves: memoirs, sports
Can't wait to read this one. Saw him on "Center Stage" with Michael Kay and thought he was inspiring. Should be interesting...
Adolfo
This is prove that we can overcome any health problem, obstacles and be successful in life.
Brittany
My first autobiography; very good and insightful to dissociative identity disorder.
Roscoe Henchell
Roscoe Henchell marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Jennifer Vert
Jennifer Vert marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
MARY DELANCY
MARY DELANCY marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
  • Fractured
  • The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook
  • Us
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • I'm Eve
  • The Sum of My Parts: A Survivor's Story of Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • All of Me
  • Twenty-Two Faces
  • The Magic Daughter: A Memoir of Living with Multiple Personality Disorder
  • The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation--the Hidden Epidemic
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • The Three Faces Of Eve
  • 8 Keys to Safe Trauma Recovery: Take-Charge Strategies to Empower Your Healing
  • Becoming One: A Story of Triumph Over Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • The Way Back: Inside the Mind of a Multiple Personality
  • Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
  • Bodies in Space
  • A Fractured Mind: My Life with Multiple Personality Disorder
Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death Herschel Walker's Basic Training Herschel Walker Dallas Cowboys McDonald's 1986 Football Special Card (Green Tab)