Start by marking “Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder” as Want to Read:
Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder

Breaking Free: My Life with Dissociative Identity Disorder

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The NFL legend and Heisman Trophy winner shares the inspiring story of his life and diagnosis with dissociative identity disorder.Herschel Walker is widely regarded as one of football's greatest running backs. He led the University of Georgia to victory in the Sugar Bowl on the way to an NCAA Championship and he capped a sensational college career by earning the 1982 Heism ...more
Published April 14th 2008 by Touchstone Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Free

Manda
Jun 19, 2008 Manda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
An absolutely amazing story of a true American Hero. I have always been a fan of UGA and the "great" Herschel Walker...but never new the inner battle he dealt with daily. I am truly an even bigger fan now for having read his touching story of childhood trauma and struggles of his mental illness. I can say that he is quite a man!!!

I suggest this book to anyone...it is an encouragement to christians, those who suffer from DID, and just for anyone who is a fan.

Larry
When I was at UGA Hershel Walker sat a couple of seats in front of me in Geology class. I used to wonder what his life was like. He was in front of the cameras, his image broadcast across the nation one moment and then two days later he was sitting at the desk in front of me in Geology class. His book tells about his experience with multiple personalities. Though the diagnosis might be controversial, his story is about a tormented young man who hid his problems fairly well.

For most people, thi
Luella
I loved this book. This book was about the famed running back Herschel Walker and his life living with DID which is dissociative identity disorder. I actually came to admire him while he tells his story and how his DID affected his life from a child. I really admired where he came from and how he changed from a chubby child to a disciplined physical perfect specimen taking him all the way to the NFL. But the most important thing was his perseverance in dealing with the negative influences of his ...more
Kyle Van Cleave
A very inspiring story. Walker is a truely unique human being. From his physical gifts, his drive to succeed, and his intelligence, he has accomplished some very amazing things. Learning about his condition, DID, you can appreciate his achievements even more.
Angela Carroll
Bravo-I wish there was a movie about Herschel instead of Sybil regarding DID. He earned my respect a long time ago after I read that his workout routine did not involve lifting weights but included completing 2500 sit-ups and 1500 push-ups every single day. I had no idea that he competed in the 1992 Winter Olympics on the bobsled team. I had no idea that he had DID and that it could be utilized in a positive way.

Some people will not like the simplistic writing style of this publication but I fo
Rena
Strongly recommend!! What a story!! I am not a football fan, but I became a Herschel Walker fan!!! What a life!
Joseph Emmanuel de Guzman
Who would've thought one of the best football players had a disorder that drove him to his knees? Walker's story is a must read in order for people to understand the individuality of everyone on the planet and the pressure that professional athletes experience on a daily basis.

Sometimes technical but otherwise endearing. The book provides a clear look at the psyche of a man many have learned to love and idolize in and out of the gridiron.

David
Herschel Walker's battle with Dissociative Identity Disorder should be a fascinating story, but I wasn't nearly as interested as I might have thought. I can't tell if the problem lies with the way the book is written or if it's the story itself: do I blame the ghost writers or the man himself for not having an interesting enough story?
I choose to blame the ghost writers, since it was up to them to shape his life in a manner that would make for a better read. (But it doesn't help that there is wa
Christine
While I appreciate that Walker is opening up about his personal life and his struggles, I became bored with the lack of dialogue and didn't like the writing style. The content of the book was interesting and sometimes even compelling, though.
Adam
Interesting to read about his appreciation for the parts of himself that comprised his eventual diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder. But just not a great book - I didn't really enjoy his writing.
Megan
Walker suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder (nee multiple personality disorder). His story is very interesting, as he goes through episodes of his life to explain how this disorder both helped and hindered him in various situations. He has a nice mix of faith and science to explain and overcome his condition. However, it's rather short and I'd have loved to hear more about what kinds of therapy he found helpful - what did doctors actually do for him? It's just such an uncommon disorder th ...more
Amy
Heavy on Jesus, light on football. If you're not a Georgia/Herschel fan, it's probably not something I would recommend. The book is about his struggle with DID and it's pretty clear that he didn't write much of it, but rather dictated it or told a series of stories and had the collaborating authors pull it all together. And I don't think they did the greatest job - the book kind of jumps all over the place. There are a couple of fun stories and interesting revelations, but the only thing that ke ...more
Jeff
Herschel is one of my top 3 favorite athletes of all-time. I really enjoyed getting to know him better. He's been through a battle psychologically. I hope he continues to do better. If you're a Georgia fan, a must read.
Sphinx Feathers
Interesting, but more just a biography. The book had very little to do with mental illness (of any sort) and more to do with making the right choice, being Christian and preservering through all adversities.
Cathleen
Jul 09, 2009 Cathleen marked it as to-read
Shelves: memoirs, sports
Can't wait to read this one. Saw him on "Center Stage" with Michael Kay and thought he was inspiring. Should be interesting...
Adolfo
This is prove that we can overcome any health problem, obstacles and be successful in life.
Brittany
My first autobiography; very good and insightful to dissociative identity disorder.
Lynn C
Lynn C marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Ireny
Ireny marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dalton
Dalton added it
Nov 17, 2014
Chelsea Beaton
Chelsea Beaton marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Josie
Josie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Jeannie
Jeannie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Holly Rose
Holly Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fractured
  • The Magic Castle: A Mother's Harrowing True Story Of Her Adoptive Son's Multiple Personalities-- And The Triumph Of Healing
  • Us
  • All of Me
  • The Stranger in the Mirror: Dissociation--the Hidden Epidemic
  • Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivor's Story
  • The Way Back: Inside the Mind of a Multiple Personality
  • Groomed: An Uncle Who Went Too Far, a Mother Who Didn't Care, a Little Girl Who Waited for Justice
  • The Sum of My Parts: A Survivor's Story of Dissociative Identity Disorder
  • Bodies in Space
  • Trance Formation of America: Trance
  • Suffer the Child
  • Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers
  • Broken Child
Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death Herschel Walker's Basic Training Herschel Walker Dallas Cowboys McDonald's 1986 Football Special Card (Green Tab)