Taming Eliza Jane (Gardiner, Texas #1)

Taming Eliza Jane (Gardiner, Texas #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When a man sets out to tame a strong-willed woman, he'd best hang on to his hat. Will Martinson, the town doctor, already has a heap of troubles on his plate, what with a pregnant whore, an ailing friend and a sheriff with a bad habit of shooting people. The last thing he needs is a strong hankering for a woman who thinks it's her duty to turn a man's life upside-down. Eli...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Samhain Publishing (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Taming Eliza Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming Eliza Jane

edzkie♥§*.*§♥
This book was utterly a surprise. Just saw it on one of my GR shelf favorite. Got intrigue by the cover (although its not that eye catching and I'm trying to figure out all the silhouette..LOL!) and I want to give it a try as my first book from this author before I starts her series of family book.

I love both the h/h, love the Gardiner people, the chickens and the Chicken Coop wise matchmaker old lady (although she doesn't stay long). Eliza Jane, divorced women libber's come to town to spread he...more
Ruth
This is such a fun read. Light, sassy, naughty writing, with lots of "oh shit"s and "darlin'"s. You can almost hear the spittoon pinging in the saloon and jangling spurs. The men have practically no social skills, the women charge extra for spanking and the Sheriff's diplomatic skills begin and end with drawing his gun (no, not that gun!!!). The steamy bits aren't really steamy, but the story doesn't suffer for it.

It's wonderful to have a western heroine who stands up for herself, and others, bu...more
Dina
"My" Will:

Photobucket

That's all I have to "say" for now. Full review will come later...
Karla
What a pleasant surprise! One of the most endearing love stories I’ve ever read. Think Maverick/Cheyenne Social Club/Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, all rolled into one. Eliza Jane, divorced women’s libber has come to town, and now the townsfolk are in an uproar, and she is at the center of it all. The trigger finger happy sheriff, Adam, and town doc/deputy sheriff, Will, have made it their business to keep her in line. One wants to shoot her, and the other one wants to bed her. Quite the comed...more
♥ Beth
4.5 stars!

I am surprised that there are no GR reviews yet on this book! It was such a great read! It wasn't really what I was expecting, but I loved it and definitely recommend it! A light and fun romantic historical western with a quirky cast of characters that held my interest throughout and kept me laughing. I can see this one as one of those old fashioned westerns I used to watch on TV. The only thing that I would wish for was a little more detail and heat in the bedroom scenes, but overall...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
The Taming of Eliza Jane was a delightful and light read. I found this book to be quick, easy, and a lot of fun. The cast of motley characters were not deeply layered in characterization, but the plot, dialogue, and humor more than made up for it. After all, this book's purpose was not a serious study in character development or the perplexities of life.

I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet and funny romance. I recommend it to anyone who whats a simple, light, and fun escape.
Kim
cute little romance book, made me think wild west and stuff, but i think this was after the wild west. before womens vote, but after abraham lincoln. but it was a cute book, a womans lib rolls into town to share her message, meets the doc who is full of darlins and stuff. some funny moments regarding a whorehouse, and a sheriff that shoots people who calls his horse ugly.
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
This book was faintly ridculous, silly even, but I really enjoyed it! It was a great funny and romantic little western romance full of quirky characters, from the Sheriff who threatens to shot everyone who annoys him, the benevolant and wise whore house Madam and her "chickens" and the over zealous bible basher. A book to read to get a smile on your fast which had some genuinely laugh out loud funny bits.

Favourite Quote:

"Doc likes to sit in his fancy leather chair and have me ride him like a hor...more
MaryReadsRomance
2 1/2 Stars
An ok light romance entertainment read with a direct and basic writing style. Characters and plot are a bit dated and reminiscent of Gunsmoke and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Texas vernacular was ok but sometimes a bit jarringly off (I have lived in Texas). Sex scene were basic and not frequent but were romantic and not jarring. Had a very well done surprise ending. The ending left such a good afterglow that it pulled up the entire book's rating for me. If the author's later b...more
Ann (Noumena12)
Okay. I almost didn't read this book because I'm not a fan of historical romances. This book might have changed my mind. And I'm sure hoping that I will be reading about Adam (and Rebecca????) very soon.

Interesting notes: One of the tags for this book on Amazon is that it is a "contemporary" romance. So, of course, I had to go find a definition of "historical." Definition of Historical Romance (multiple sources): "Historical romance is set before World War II.[1] Many historical romances include...more
Joy
I really enjoyed one of Stacey's contemporaries, so I moved on to her westerns. In this book, an early women's rights activist shows up in Gardiner, Texas, ready to raise consciousnesses. In addition, she more or less raises riots (her main method seems to be telling wives and whores to withhold sex for leverage), leaving the town doctor (one of the few men who actually like her) to help her when her trustee leaves town with what's left of her money. This book was enjoyable but lightweight. I am...more
Hilly
2 stars.

This wasn't much of anything. Nice-guy hero/Naive heroine ... in the ol' West.

I didn't dislike it, exactly, I just didn't care for -- or about -- anyone or anything in it. Except ... I admit to being curious about the sheriff. Which is odd, because I already read the sequel ( Becoming Miss Becky ) and that story wasn't anything memorable either. I may reread that one, in fairness because I read them out of chronological order.
Vee
This was a light and fun romantic historical western. Eliza Jane is a woman on a mission, trying to change the lives of women for the better, as she travels through towns, liberating women, she arrives to Gardiner Tx, and to Will. I loved the character of the sheriff - he had a twitchy finger and wanted to shoot everyone, especially anyone who called his horse ugly - he is the H of Becoming Miss Becky.
Lori Meehan
3.5
I enjoyed this book Eliza Jane and Will had great chemistry and Adam was hilarious. I would of given this book a 4 but I thought it dragged some in the middle. The last 4th of the book had me by the neck and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read Rebecca's book.
Julie
Jun 12, 2011 Julie rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
I had to check and make sure I hadn't already read this book because it's too much like "Becoming Miss Becky." Same location, many of the same characters, same formula. At this point, I'm not sure I'll finish this one.
Victoria Blacke
A cute fun romp. The story is set in a charming town full of great secondary characters. The Heroine is stubborn, opinionated and adorable. The Hero is equally stubborn, protective and sweet.
Laylah
lack of focus, not much of sexual tension, very inferior to the author's later books. 2 1/2 stars
Glenda Bettin
such an awesome series
Christine Hatfield
Christine Hatfield marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Stephanie Westrick
Stephanie Westrick marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Mariela Rmfl
Mariela Rmfl marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Anne Lorraine
Anne Lorraine marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Danica
Danica marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Brandi O'Berry
Brandi O'Berry marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
  • Wild Burn (Wild State, #1)
  • Zeke (Devils on Horseback, #3)
  • Let Me Love You
  • Sing My Name
  • Sunrise Over Texas
  • Lawless (Untamed #2)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Tender Texan
  • In the Marshal's Arms
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? (Turner Brothers, #1)
  • A Hearing Heart
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • A Taste Of Heaven
Shannon Stacey married her Prince Charming in 1993 and is the proud mother of two incredible sons. She lives in New England, where her two favorite activities are trying to stay warm and writing stories of happily ever after. Her two cats refuse to curl up on her lap and keep it warm while she writes, but her Shih Tzu is never far away.

When she’s not writing, she’s indulging in her other passion—f...more
More about Shannon Stacey...
Exclusively Yours (Kowalski Family, #1) Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3) Undeniably Yours (Kowalski Family, #2) All He Ever Needed (Kowalski Family, #4) All He Ever Dreamed (Kowalski Family, #6)