Start by marking “Rolling Thunder” as Want to Read:

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Rolling Thunder (birth name John Pope; b. 1916, d.1997) was a Native American medicine man. He was born into the Cherokee nation and later moved to Nevada and lived with the Western Shoshone. He essentially married into the Shoshone tribe when he united with his first wife, Spotted Fawn, who preceded him in death.
Published July 1st 1982 by Delta (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Rolling Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rolling Thunder

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichCeremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Native American Fiction
458th out of 588 books — 532 voters
The Voice of Rolling Thunder by Sidian Morning Star JonesRolling Thunder by Doug Boyd
2nd out of 2 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Tom
Jul 30, 2011 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I met Rolling Thunder at The World Symposium on Humanity in Vancouver, BC in 1976 where I attended a few talks by him as well as some smaller "workshops". He was an amazing man, soft s
Ben
Feb 18, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed the book. I read it almost 20 years ago and I think of it every time I encounter mosquitoes. And I havn't been bothered by them since.
happydog
Mar 06, 2007 happydog rated it really liked it
If you like reading about Native American philosophy, this is an interesting one.
Erin
Jul 31, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Doug Boyd gives an illuminating account of the Shoshone medicine man, Rolling Thunder, known as John Pope to the rest of the world.

It details only a small section of the life of Rolling Thunder, including some of his difficulties with the white man's world, as well as some of his fights against other Indians who use a sorcerer to bring him down (and almost succeed.)

It is a compelling story, one that shows the persecution of the Indians even to this day. Guns and subterfuge still allow ranchers a
Timothy L.
Dec 12, 2013 Timothy L. rated it it was amazing
I have read this book before about 15 yrs ago and back in started again back in april or may and life got in the way? So since I have not got back to it yet! But this book is for people more of the native,spiritual and natural way of thinking! If you don't in mind over matter, if you have to see it too believe it. Then isn't the kind of book that would appeal to you, But to those of you who do believe nature and every living thing has a spirit and is connected to all human beings then you my fri ...more
Aunt
Jan 09, 2009 Aunt is currently reading it
More confirmation that I am descended from fucking barbarians, IF they are REALLY my ancestors. Maybe I was lost. I was stolen from indigenous people. yes, thats it.
This book is about an amazing medicine man of the Western Shoshone.
M-J
Feb 17, 2011 M-J rated it it was amazing
A marvelous true telling of a very spiritual experience that adds credence to the value of being one with nature. I was gifted this book some 18 years ago and have, in turn, gifted copies to others.
Wickovski Steve
Aug 21, 2012 Wickovski Steve rated it really liked it
I think this is one book you'll find hard to get. Its a great biography of Rolling Thunder a modern day First Nation man.
Well written and engaging.
Vikki
Oct 25, 2011 Vikki rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! This is the true story of an Indian. It shows the metaphysical side of Indians. I would like to own this book.
Hope
THE DESCRIPTION GIVEN IS NOT FOR THIS BOOK. Description taken from Amazon, which also has it listed incorrectly.
Michael
Oct 12, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
When the storms on the plain bring more than rain. Inspired me.
April
Jul 05, 2008 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anthropolgy dorks
a journey through the eyes of a skeptic into the world of shamanism
Philippa
White man meets Native American and has cosmic experiences.
Libby Clinton
Aug 13, 2012 Libby Clinton rated it it was amazing
This world we live in never fails to amaze me.
Raunette
Raunette marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Tiffany Mysticstorm
Tiffany Mysticstorm rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Hendre Chin
Hendre Chin marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Jessica Tsai
Jessica Tsai marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Marta Bettencourt
Marta Bettencourt marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Bonnie Neis
Bonnie Neis marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Catkin Blake
Catkin Blake marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Kay Michel
Kay Michel marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Cristy
Cristy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Alia
Alia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Adam Crown
Adam Crown rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Ms.Cali Christensen
Ms.Cali Christensen marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Shirley-anne
Shirley-anne marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
our relationship with the earth 1 5 Nov 11, 2008 10:36PM
  • Fools Crow
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • Time of the Witch
  • Myths of the Cherokee
  • The Works Of Jane Austen (Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion)
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • The Sacred Pipe: Black Elk's Account of the Seven Rites of the Oglala Sioux
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Black Elk: The Sacred Ways of a Lakota
  • Frog And Toad Book Set: Frog And Toad Are Friends; Frog And Toad Together; Days With Frog And Toad; Frog And Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-4)
  • The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun: A Mayan Tale of Ecstasy, Time, and Finding One's True Form
  • DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Bruce Lee
  • Flashbacks
  • The Way of the White Clouds
  • The Art of Faery
  • The Ways of My Grandmothers
Douglas Wright Boyd was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota. When he was 9 years old, he moved with his parents, Elmer and Alyce Green, and his three sisters, Pat, Sandra, and Judy, to Canada. They later moved to California, where he attended school, high school,and a couple of years of college. One of his first jobs was using his wonderful voice as a radio announcer. He left California as an army enli ...more
More about Doug Boyd...