Start by marking “Cover the Mirrors” as Want to Read:
Cover the Mirrors

Cover the Mirrors

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
It is 1856 and Spiritualism is at the height of its popularity. Molly Pinner has left behind her childhood in the Preston slums and inherited her late aunt Florrie’s mantle as Preston’s most successful medium. It soon becomes clear that her aunt was something far more cunning than a magnet for the spirits of the dead, but Molly puts aside her qualms and takes well to her n ...more
Published November 2nd 2007 by Macmillan UK

To ask other readers questions about Cover the Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cover the Mirrors

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerWicked by Gregory MaguireThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books So Bad I Couldn't Finish...
248th out of 390 books — 567 voters
Me Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettTreasure, Darkly by Jordan Elizabeth MierekInto the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
TBC favourite books
464th out of 560 books — 471 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
Aug 01, 2009 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think one of the worst books I've ever attempted to read. The book takes place in Victorian England but the characters have 21st century morals and way of looking at life. Absolute rubbish!!!!
Vivienne

In terms of 'stars' I'd probably place it at 1.5 so have given it 2. I didn't not like it. I've certainly read worse but it didn't fulfil the promise suggested by the book blurb. It was a selection for a reading group.

While this was an easy read I was not at all impressed with the book on a number of crucial levels.

While the book is rich in historical details such as the 'Language of Flowers', there seem to be a number of anachronisms including aspects quite central to the plot such as Spiritua
Scheherazade
Mar 30, 2015 Scheherazade rated it really liked it
At first I was disappointed with this book. The plot line and subject were not going in the direction I wanted them to. Then I persevered and was rewarded with good storytelling. Romantic and well told, though I wish there had been a bit more tension before dramas were resolved. Hence one star short of a full five. Read it, the prose moves nicely and the story has grace. Will we have more of Molly's adventures?
CuteBadger
May 06, 2013 CuteBadger rated it did not like it
I really wanted to love this - Victorian spiritualists, the rise from working class to higher on the social scale, marriage etc - but I really didn't. None of the characters seemed at all Victorian, the was no sense of place, some characters seem to change their personalities more often than they change their clothes and it felt like the author had started out in one direction with at least one of the characters and then went another way, but without going back and making them a coherent person. ...more
Deirdre
Jul 18, 2009 Deirdre rated it liked it
The story starts with Florrie Pinner teaching her niece Molly about her take on Spiritualism, Molly takes to the task and when Florrie dies she takes charge.

However things start to unravel when she finds herself quite quickly pregnant, despite the warning of a friend doing the same and being abandoned by the father, and the warnings of her aunt to keep independent, she marries.

Yes, the characters are interesting but I really didn't care about many of them and several of them appeared to die more
Helen
Oct 05, 2009 Helen rated it it was ok
Although i admit i found this novel strangely page turning, i have several criticisms! It was set in Victorian England, Preston to be precise, and yet there was little atmosphere of the time and place. I've read some wonderful historical novels in which you really feel immersed in the period. This novel felt oddly 'empty', feeling like it could have been set anywhere or anyplace. The story line (featuring heroine Molly, a young girl who inherits her aunt's business, conducting fake seances) was ...more
Shirley
Jul 28, 2012 Shirley rated it liked it
I found this an easy read.It is the story of a young girl living with her Aunt a spiritual medium who is teaching her niece the skills needed to take over the business. It kept me interested right through the book though I felt the ending could have been stronger, maybe the author has left it so that she can return to these characters in another story.
Overall a well written story, a good light read. I would like to read more from this author.
Orla
Feb 14, 2012 Orla rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
Many people criticise this book for feeling as though it's events could have happened any time in any place with no broody atmosphere people expect from a Victorian novel and that the characters were not the heroes or heroines the Victorian novel. For me, it's sense of "emptiness" was it's most glowing recommendation. This could have happened to anyone but it didn't it happened to her.

A good showing.
Sorell
Jul 25, 2012 Sorell rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous read, about a young girl from preston who becomes famous from her aunt exceptional 'talents', she meets the man of her dreams and soon find herself in trouble, this story has a gripping twist and is clearly well researched :) Loved it :)
BookScout
Nov 13, 2009 BookScout rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2009
The blurb promised exciting seances, ghosts and supernatural occurences. It turned out to be nothing more than a lame victorian sex romp peopled with stereotypes amidst a class struggle. Prose was very good but overall story disappointing.
Karen Sherwood
Jul 06, 2012 Karen Sherwood rated it liked it
Would rate 2.5 if i could. Once you get past the annoying bits (characters, setting, language) which were all a bit superficial, I found it a bit of a page turner. That said won't be looking for any other books by this author.
Susanne Gruss
Aug 11, 2011 Susanne Gruss rated it it was ok
Shelves: projects
read it because of my interest in all things neo-Victorian... but this left a rather stale aftertaste (overuse of clichéd popular romance language, characters remain flat, etc.)
Fiona
Jul 02, 2012 Fiona rated it it was ok
A fairly readable 'bodice-ripper'! Nothing too challenging and little to separate it from others of the same kind. Given that it was only 74p can't really complain.
Clare
Jun 27, 2012 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I did not enjoy this one bit.
Clumsy period setting (I got annoyed by the "unlacing her drawers" business), melodramatic and not in a good way. I got bored!
Maria
Apr 30, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
Great storytelling loved the characters in this book.
Hellsbells138hotmail.com
May 15, 2008 Hellsbells138hotmail.com rated it did not like it
Good beginning but plot too long and did not finish.
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Vickieboo
Vickieboo rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Erin Vance
Erin Vance marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Louise McHugh
Louise McHugh rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Doris
Doris rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Marian Dawber
Marian Dawber rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Karon Buxton
Karon Buxton rated it did not like it
Aug 02, 2015
Brittany Wouters
Brittany Wouters rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Faye L. Booth was born in Lancashire in 1980 and continues to live in the county. She shares her home with a menagerie of animals and has given up denying her eccentricity.
More about Faye L. Booth...