Start by marking “Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference” as Want to Read:
Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference

Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Cal Ripken signed book.
Published April 10th 2007 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about Get in the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get in the Game

Ben
Having been a lifelong Cal Ripken Jr. fan, I find that as I get older and continue to see mindless athletes acting out in ignorant ways, my sense of appreciation for having such a great role model as a child continues to grow. As a baseball player, and more importantly as a person, Cal Ripken Jr. is a true class act.

And so it was with disapointment that I found this book to be nothing more than a chamber of typical, oft-heard platitudes, no different from your very average self-help book. Nonet
Phyrman21
Loved Cal Ripken as a ball player. Enjoyed his book. I have a hard time with books like this when ultra successful people write post success and tell you that great things can happen to anyone who works hard. I tend to agree with Gladwell (see The Tipping Point, Blink, etc) that more than hard work has to line up in your favor. Success is almost a perfect storm of circumstances that line up for a few. Sure, the harder we work, the more probable we are to line up with that perfect storm, but some ...more
James Gingerich
"Get in the game. Do the best you can. Try to make a contribution. Learn from the day. Apply it tomorrow." Cal Ripken Sr. 1935-1999

This quote from his father concludes Cal Ripken Jr's book "Get In The Game". A classic book from a class act. Cal Ripken Jr spells out in plain english what it takes to persevere and be a success not just in sports but in business and in life itself.

Ripken outlines in a straighforward manner through eight chapters his eight elements of perseverance that make a diff
Tony
Mar 21, 2013 Tony added it
The book Get in the Game by Cal Ripken Jr. and Donald T. Phillips is a book based on the life and baseball career of Cal Ripken Jr., who was a shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles for his entire 20 years in the MLB. Although there are many baseball references and stories in the book, it is not entirely about baseball. The book talks a lot about courage and self confidence. The book mostly revolves around Ripken’s eight elements of perseverance. This book can sure turn some peoples’ heads about th ...more
Jim Serger
Professional baseball, MLB is a job few will ever achieve; but like the business world-- we see that hard work, commitment and sacrifice leads to success. Cal is that beacon we all can use as a tablet to give it our best at all times. He loved the game so much; it led to shattering records--that was not his goal, giving his best and "Get in the Game" motto was. Excellent book, audio book was very clear.
Matt
While "Get in the Game" is listed as a self-help/business on the cover, it reads like a mini-autobiography of Cal Ripken, Jr. Ripken, with the assistance of Donald T. Phillips, writes about eight elements that he attributed in not only making a difference in his legendary baseball career but also his successful transition to business. Within each of the eight chapters detailing each element, Ripken shares stories and situations from his early life and baseball career that are examples of the fea ...more
Taylor
Oh, how I wanted to like this book, but it fell a little flat. For one, it needs to pick a genre -- biography or business advice -- rather than trying to do both. The summarized lists of advice seemed unnecessary; as the reader, I can distill those lessons from the text. Secondly, the parenthetical parallels to Lou Gehrig were overused, and, at times, stretches. We get it. There were similarities.

Despite the distractions, this book is an easy read and contains many good lessons. It's just too ba
Ed
Inspiring
Magic
It an interesting book with some valuable lessons which may be applied to any sport, office, or career. The thing I wonder about Ripken, who states over and over he feels he did what was best for his team by playing so many consecutive games, and he did it because he loved baseball so much. So, I wonder, if he played in 3001 career games...how many would he have played in had he taken some rest from time to time? Another Season? Two?...we'll never know.

Eric
Cal is a class act. A good look at the ideas and principles that led Cal to break Gehrig's consecutive game record. The book had a nice personal touch to it. I always admired Cal for his game, but after reading the book, I have even more respect for him and his family. A true American Baseball hero!
Michael
Reminded me not only why Ripken was one of my favorite players, but why I loved baseball as a kid. The scene of Cal breaking the consecutive games record truly moved me! I do wish the book hadn't been mixed with odd self-help/business elements.
Ben Stevenson
Cal Ripken Jr. is the icon of pushing yourself to new limits. The ultimate iron man.
Matthew Gutierrez
Solid book to learn from. I agreed with most of what Cal had to say, and I really have come to admire him.
A very easy book to read and something you could pick up just once a week and get a lot out of.
I recommend it because of its lessons.
Patti
Any day I don't feel like getting out of bed and getting to work, I think of Cal. Never missed a day. Very motivating although I'm not generally a self-help type of reader, I think every kid today should read this book!
Michelle
Mar 20, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
I may never read this book. Bought it and stood in line for 2 hours waiting for an autograph for my husband's Christmas present. I got right up to the door and they sent us away. I cried.
Dan
I am a huge Cal Ripken fan. It was nice to read this book and see what he went through to get to 2131 and eventually 2632. The way he applies baseball to life worked out nice.
Gretchen
Anyone who likes baseball or who has kids who like sports, I would recommend this book, to both the parents and kids! Interesting stories and good life lessons for my 9yr.
Colette
What an excellent book for young adults who a seeking a role model! Cal signed our copy and we found him to be just as authentic as the voice in his book!
Kasey
It felt a little to much like a last tribute to himself, but I do love baseball so I'm giving Cal the benefit of the doubt here.
Jen Schroeder
Sep 05, 2007 Jen Schroeder marked it as to-read
Not a true baseball fan, but from what I know of Carl Ripken, this sounds interesting. From a Newsweek article, I think.
Pmcdnld2
You would probably have to be a baseball fan to ennoy this one
Michael
Great book. Cal Ripken Jr. is a great guy and was a great ball player
Gina Herald
Totally admire Cal Ripken Jr and what he accomplished.
Brian
Good comparisons between baseball and life
Vince
All star book from All star player
Cws
Nov 06, 2008 Cws added it
92 Rip
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Elis
Elis added it
Apr 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Talent Is Never Enough: Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent
  • Monday Morning Choices: 12 Powerful Ways to Go from Everyday to Extraordinary
  • In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training
  • Skating Life: My Story
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • The Hardcore Diaries
  • 212: The Extra Degree
  • No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling And in Life
  • The Yogi Book
  • Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • Uncommon: Finding Your Path to Significance
  • Golf's Sacred Journey: Seven Days at the Links of Utopia
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • It's True! It's True!
  • Always By My Side: A Father's Grace and a Sports Journey Unlike Any Other
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • Battle Ready (Commanders)
Cal Ripken, Jr. was a shortstop and third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles for his entire career (1981-2001). Nicknamed “The Iron Man” for his relentless work ethic and reliability on the field, Ripken is most remembered for playing a record 2,632 straight games over 17 seasons. He was a 19-time All Star and is considered to be one of the best shortstops professional baseball has ever seen. In 20 ...more
More about Cal Ripken Jr....
Hothead The Only Way I Know Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars: Super-Sized Slugger Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars Wild Pitch Play Baseball the Ripken Way: The Complete Illustrated Guide to the Fundamentals