Start by marking “Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference” as Want to Read:
Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference

Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Cal Ripken signed book.
Published April 10th 2007 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about Get in the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get in the Game

Sara
Mar 29, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it
Read this years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Great read for anyone looking for some motivational inspiration. Ripken was an old-school ball player and a tremendous example of what a real work ethic can do.
Ben
Dec 06, 2008 Ben rated it it was ok
Having been a lifelong Cal Ripken Jr. fan, I find that as I get older and continue to see mindless athletes acting out in ignorant ways, my sense of appreciation for having such a great role model as a child continues to grow. As a baseball player, and more importantly as a person, Cal Ripken Jr. is a true class act.

And so it was with disapointment that I found this book to be nothing more than a chamber of typical, oft-heard platitudes, no different from your very average self-help book. Nonet
Chad Simons
May 08, 2014 Chad Simons rated it really liked it
Loved Cal Ripken as a ball player. Enjoyed his book. I have a hard time with books like this when ultra successful people write post success and tell you that great things can happen to anyone who works hard. I tend to agree with Gladwell (see The Tipping Point, Blink, etc) that more than hard work has to line up in your favor. Success is almost a perfect storm of circumstances that line up for a few. Sure, the harder we work, the more probable we are to line up with that perfect storm, but some ...more
James Gingerich
Dec 30, 2007 James Gingerich rated it it was amazing
"Get in the game. Do the best you can. Try to make a contribution. Learn from the day. Apply it tomorrow." Cal Ripken Sr. 1935-1999

This quote from his father concludes Cal Ripken Jr's book "Get In The Game". A classic book from a class act. Cal Ripken Jr spells out in plain english what it takes to persevere and be a success not just in sports but in business and in life itself.

Ripken outlines in a straighforward manner through eight chapters his eight elements of perseverance that make a diff
Tony
Mar 21, 2013 Tony added it
The book Get in the Game by Cal Ripken Jr. and Donald T. Phillips is a book based on the life and baseball career of Cal Ripken Jr., who was a shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles for his entire 20 years in the MLB. Although there are many baseball references and stories in the book, it is not entirely about baseball. The book talks a lot about courage and self confidence. The book mostly revolves around Ripken’s eight elements of perseverance. This book can sure turn some peoples’ heads about th ...more
J
Jul 18, 2015 J rated it liked it
It was okay. At times, I was having doubts and it did feel very self-help-ish. Not that this was bad. Got the feel of a Captain America persona for this Iron Man of baseball. Nothing stunning. Nothing sensationalistic. No great controversy.Just a man with a plan telling his story. An everyday guy that did an incredible thing. Don't think it warrants more than 3 out of five stars but I think some readers would be okay with that.
Jim Serger
Apr 07, 2014 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing
Professional baseball, MLB is a job few will ever achieve; but like the business world-- we see that hard work, commitment and sacrifice leads to success. Cal is that beacon we all can use as a tablet to give it our best at all times. He loved the game so much; it led to shattering records--that was not his goal, giving his best and "Get in the Game" motto was. Excellent book, audio book was very clear.
Matt
Apr 12, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While "Get in the Game" is listed as a self-help/business on the cover, it reads like a mini-autobiography of Cal Ripken, Jr. Ripken, with the assistance of Donald T. Phillips, writes about eight elements that he attributed in not only making a difference in his legendary baseball career but also his successful transition to business. Within each of the eight chapters detailing each element, Ripken shares stories and situations from his early life and baseball career that are examples of the fea ...more
Taylor
Apr 25, 2012 Taylor rated it liked it
Oh, how I wanted to like this book, but it fell a little flat. For one, it needs to pick a genre -- biography or business advice -- rather than trying to do both. The summarized lists of advice seemed unnecessary; as the reader, I can distill those lessons from the text. Secondly, the parenthetical parallels to Lou Gehrig were overused, and, at times, stretches. We get it. There were similarities.

Despite the distractions, this book is an easy read and contains many good lessons. It's just too ba
Ed
Feb 01, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Inspiring
Magic
May 08, 2008 Magic rated it liked it
It an interesting book with some valuable lessons which may be applied to any sport, office, or career. The thing I wonder about Ripken, who states over and over he feels he did what was best for his team by playing so many consecutive games, and he did it because he loved baseball so much. So, I wonder, if he played in 3001 career games...how many would he have played in had he taken some rest from time to time? Another Season? Two?...we'll never know.

Eric
Jan 03, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Cal is a class act. A good look at the ideas and principles that led Cal to break Gehrig's consecutive game record. The book had a nice personal touch to it. I always admired Cal for his game, but after reading the book, I have even more respect for him and his family. A true American Baseball hero!
Michael
Feb 24, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Reminded me not only why Ripken was one of my favorite players, but why I loved baseball as a kid. The scene of Cal breaking the consecutive games record truly moved me! I do wish the book hadn't been mixed with odd self-help/business elements.
Ben Stevenson
Jan 02, 2014 Ben Stevenson rated it it was amazing
Cal Ripken Jr. is the icon of pushing yourself to new limits. The ultimate iron man.
Matthew Gutierrez
Feb 15, 2013 Matthew Gutierrez rated it really liked it
Solid book to learn from. I agreed with most of what Cal had to say, and I really have come to admire him.
A very easy book to read and something you could pick up just once a week and get a lot out of.
I recommend it because of its lessons.
Patti
Sep 19, 2008 Patti rated it really liked it
Any day I don't feel like getting out of bed and getting to work, I think of Cal. Never missed a day. Very motivating although I'm not generally a self-help type of reader, I think every kid today should read this book!
Michelle
Mar 20, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
I may never read this book. Bought it and stood in line for 2 hours waiting for an autograph for my husband's Christmas present. I got right up to the door and they sent us away. I cried.
Dan
Jul 11, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
I am a huge Cal Ripken fan. It was nice to read this book and see what he went through to get to 2131 and eventually 2632. The way he applies baseball to life worked out nice.
Gretchen
Jul 15, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who likes baseball or who has kids who like sports, I would recommend this book, to both the parents and kids! Interesting stories and good life lessons for my 9yr.
Colette
May 08, 2008 Colette rated it really liked it
What an excellent book for young adults who a seeking a role model! Cal signed our copy and we found him to be just as authentic as the voice in his book!
Kasey
Apr 16, 2009 Kasey rated it liked it
It felt a little to much like a last tribute to himself, but I do love baseball so I'm giving Cal the benefit of the doubt here.
Jen Schroeder
Sep 05, 2007 Jen Schroeder marked it as to-read
Not a true baseball fan, but from what I know of Carl Ripken, this sounds interesting. From a Newsweek article, I think.
Pmcdnld2
Aug 04, 2008 Pmcdnld2 rated it really liked it
You would probably have to be a baseball fan to ennoy this one
Michael
Oct 03, 2010 Michael rated it it was amazing
Great book. Cal Ripken Jr. is a great guy and was a great ball player
Gina Herald
Apr 19, 2011 Gina Herald rated it liked it
Totally admire Cal Ripken Jr and what he accomplished.
Brian
Jul 31, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Good comparisons between baseball and life
Vince
Jun 23, 2008 Vince rated it really liked it
All star book from All star player
Cws
Nov 06, 2008 Cws added it
92 Rip
Kanyon Rosson
Kanyon Rosson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Verona
Verona marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
  • The Complete Game: Reflections on Baseball, Pitching, and Life on the Mound
  • Encouragement Changes Everything: Bless and Be Blessed
  • Money: How the Destruction of the Dollar Threatens the Global Economy -- And What We Can Do about It
  • The Journey Home: My Life in Pinstripes
  • My Way
  • Tom Landry
  • Baseball For Dummies
  • Monday Morning Mentoring: Ten Lessons to Guide You Up the Ladder
  • My Conference Can Beat Your Conference: Why the SEC Still Rules College Football
  • The Tom Clancy Companion (Revised)
  • The Criminal Mind: A Writer's Guide to Forensic Psychology
  • Worth the Fighting for: A Memoir
  • Chess Openings: Traps And Zaps
  • 212: The Extra Degree
  • Mindfreak: Secret Revelations
  • Skating Life: My Story
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
Cal Ripken, Jr. was a shortstop and third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles for his entire career (1981-2001). Nicknamed “The Iron Man” for his relentless work ethic and reliability on the field, Ripken is most remembered for playing a record 2,632 straight games over 17 seasons. He was a 19-time All Star and is considered to be one of the best shortstops professional baseball has ever seen. In 20 ...more
More about Cal Ripken Jr....