Start by marking “The Big Snow” as Want to Read:
The Big Snow

David Park

The Big Snow

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  14 reviews
PShaken free from the normal patterns of their lives by a catastrophic blizzard, the intimate desires of a Northern Irish community are thrown into sharp relief as they experience love, death, and finally, murder.PIn a house with windows flung defiantly wide, a wife dies before her husband can make his confession. Her coffin is pulled to the church on a sledge by Peter, a ...more
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Snow

Elise
Aug 01, 2012 Elise marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love Park's lyrical style, but I started reading this at a bad time--too busy! I am filling out this review simply to preserve a beautiful and moving passage from "The Big Snow" as a reminder of why I will definitely finish reading it in the future:

"He smoothed the map again and made sure the angle was right for her eyes to see, eyes that drifted in and out of unconsciousness, the drug-fuelled respite from the pain. Then he opened the book of Ansel Adams photographs at her favourite--the one
Diane
While Parks' writing is descriptive, he failed to bring the separate stories together. Additionally, a good portion of the book dealt with only one of the character's stories.I enjoyed the descriptions, but did not enjoy the book.
L
This shouldn't be categorized as a novel; it's a collection of four, somewhat-related short stories. All four stories entertained me and kept my interest, the last three, especially. I found the writing good - not great - and at times insightful, albeit somewhat neurotic. Park should be commended for his talent of creating three-dimensional characters, as each main character seemed as real as you or me.

It took me a while to warm up to the final, titular story, as the characters were not the type
Alyson
I've been generous with the 3 stars, it more like 2.5. The writing is ok, if a bit OTT and lyrical in places, but, what confused me was that I inferred from two quotes on the back that it was a novel. However, it should be noted that it's a collection of 4 short stories and one novella. The novella and (title for the book) makes up half the book in page length. Only two of the stories had any overlapping characters. I think the marketing blub is therefore a bit disingenuous.

I also found the lack
Wendy
This book is more like a series of short stories which are highly pointless and boring. The best part of the entire book was the first chapter. I wish I'd gone with my gut and stopped reading after that, as it was the only story with any meaning in the entire book. Dozens of pages from the delusional mind of an elderly woman looking for a wedding dress, a young man obsessed with a random woman, and a young detective who is almost suicidal with love over a woman he's only seen as a corpse were co ...more
Ellen
I really liked this book. David Park tells the stories of several different people over a number of days in the winter of 1963 when their town in Northern Ireland gets buried in a huge snowstorm. While he does tend to go overboard with the descriptions at the expense of the narrative, Park's writing is beautiful and I found myself getting very involved in the stories.
Mary Lou
David Park writes beautiful prose, if a little more selfconsiously and with less abandon than other writers in this genre. Maybe it feels like this because his characters often have such a bleak existence. The bleakness is exacerbated by his snowcovered landscapes which change all that is familiar to something chilling, dangerous and unpredictable.
faha
A book consists of 5 short stories:

1- The Light of The World
2- Snow Trails
3- The Wedding Dress
4- Against The Cold
5- The Big Snow

I liked the first and second stories more than the latters. The winter season makes me feel gloomy throughout the book.
Deborah
I neither loved nor hated this book. I think I was a little disappointed more than anything. I had expected the other characters at the start of the story would have interlinked more than they did with the main story of the murder.

Not for me.

No aliens.
Drcgb
Evocative, beautifully-written and memorable. I loved the idea of separate stories that partly interact with each; it reminds me somewhat of life.
Paul Valente
Fantastic, beautifully written novel which interweaves a number of stories in a highly original, moving and thrilling way, I loved it.
Jo
found @ library 2/21 just in time for our 1st & biggest snow/ice storm of the season!
Rhoobarb H
I enjoyed this book. It is more like 2 shorts stories and a long story than a novel.
Adam
Pretty well written. I'm just not clear, though, what the point was.
Jennifer Dearie
Jennifer Dearie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Ellefsen
Ellefsen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Mark Stamper
Mark Stamper marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Light of Amsterdam The Truth Commissioner The Poets' Wives Swallowing The Sun Oranges From Spain