Start by marking “Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self” as Want to Read:
Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self

Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  17 reviews
More than personal boundaries, this book is really about relationships--healthy and unhealthy ones. Here bestselling author and psychotherapist Charles Whitfield blends theories and dynamics from several disciplines into practical knowledge and actions that your can use in your relationships right now.

This comprehensive book opens with clear definitions and descriptions of
Published April 1st 1994 by Health Communications (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Boundaries and Relationships, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boundaries and Relationships

Stephanie
For me this book took a little time to get rolling. The initial information had too much of a flavor of pop psychology for my taste (as is often the case with self help books). But it did eventually begin to take off and actually the information has proven very useful.

Although I have been in therapy for many years, I came to realize through this book that my understanding of healthy boundaries was poor. I also came to realize that I was not very articular with speaking up when my personal bounda
Kelly
+ + + all the tables and diagrams, i love and appreciate personal emotional and spiritual information conveyed in the most dispassionate way
+++ direct and nuanced approach to exploring aspects of boundaries: clarity towards what is mine and what is not mine, rigidity vs firmness and flexibility, learning and knowing how and when to set healthy boundaries, trust, handle conflict and be real with people, determining appropriate closeness/sharing and distance/privacy, how to move away from co-depen
Kristen
Some interesting clarification. But overall I didn't like the writing style, I found all his references to other books he's written frustrating, and the numerous charts and tables were confusing and distracting.
Rebekah
This book taught me about telling the difference between what is mine and not mine, letting go of all-or-nothing thinking, identifying how screwed up my childhood was, the importance of listening to myself, and how different people need different levels of boundaries.

Some of which was new, some of which I knew before and was interesting to rethink about within the context of boundaries.

I also learned to dislike the author's sloppy lists, circular arguments, and narrow-vision views on the world.
Rebecca
Boundaries are a big deal in having healthy and good relationships. This book was a great help in understanding how to have healthy boundaries.
Sharla
My therapist suggested I read this, but even with loaning it to me, she suggested to focus on the early chapters, and that much of the book could be laborious with the author's concepts of "true self". She wanted me to glean more perspective on healthy emotional boundaries. I did indeed find it difficult to get interested in the book, and ended up giving up. I don't believe the book was helping me any further than what my therapist had already discussed with me.
Orna
This is the only book that I have ever come across that links boundaries and relationships together. I like how it shows the fact that even becoming ""over boundaried"" is a boundary infringement in itself, as that can block another person's right to freedom.
Joani Jacob
So far, I've learned I'm not crazy!! What a relief!
Seriously - it's not quite what I'm used to reading, but I've been very empowerd by discoveries made while reading this book. Worth the read!
Shirl
Good book on how to work with boundaries and your relationships. But spoke a bit about God, if you can see past this, it's better. I would recommend it and revisit this book.
Amy
Worth the read. Gave me some really good insights into the why of what people do. Also, has been helpful for me in setting new boundaries in my life.
Bridgett
I learned a lot about my PTSD and codependency, as well as how to differentiate myself and my responsibilities from those of others.
Denise
what *didn't* i learn?! mostly helped me make sense of why i see things the way I do sometimes
Lauren
LOTS to think about and LOTS of work ahead. Looking forward to reading Whitfield's other books.
Andrea Gustafson
Every person should read this whether it be the workplace or for home.
Brimley
Never bad to revisit this topic and read a well regarded source.
Morgan
Good quote: "'No' is a complete sentence."

Serena
Nov 22, 2013 Serena added it
Shelves: psych
textbook
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Julianna
Julianna is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Rashmi Sinha
Rashmi Sinha marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Grant
Grant marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jonnette-lee
Jonnette-lee marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • Love Is a Choice: The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships
  • The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags
  • When Love Meets Fear
  • Coming Apart: Why Relationships End and How to Live Through the Ending of Yours
  • Stop Being Mean to Yourself: A Story About Finding The True Meaning of Self-Love
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • Can Love Last?: The Fate of Romance over Time
  • The Assertiveness Workbook: How to Express Your Ideas and Stand Up for Yourself at Work and in Relationships
  • The Beast: A Journey Through Depression
  • I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • The Sharpbrains Guide to Brain Fitness: How to Optimize Brain Health and Performance at Any Age
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • Perfect Daughters: Adult Daughters of Alcoholics
  • Transformations of Myth Through Time
Charles Whitfield is a physician who specializes in helping people who are alcoholic, chemical dependent or co-dependent, and adult children of troubled or dysfunctional families. He has also worked, and continues to work on healing his own child within.

More about Charles L. Whitfield...
Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families A Gift to Myself: A Personal Workbook and Guide to "Healing the Child Within" Memory and Abuse: Remembering and Healing the Effects of Trauma Co-Dependence - Healing the Human Condition: Healing the Human Condition The Power of Humility: Choosing Peace Over Conflict in Relationships

“By choosing recovery and risking to be real, we set the healthy boundaries that say, "I am in charge of my recovery and my life, and no one else on this Earth is.” 33 likes
“Contacting and living from our True Self is the central task of personal growth.” 0 likes