Start by marking “The Vines of Yarrabee” as Want to Read:
The Vines of Yarrabee

The Vines of Yarrabee

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
It was her aristocratic beauty, her fine English breeding, and her impeccable social sense that first drew Gilbert to Eugenia and made him think of her as the perfect mistress of Yarrabee, the great plantation and vineyard he had wrested from the wilderness. But as Eugenia learns more of the ruthlessly ambitious man she has married and the rugged land he has brought her to ...more
Published January 1st 1969 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Vines of Yarrabee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vines of Yarrabee

Dorcas
I collect Dorothy Eden's books, I really like her writing style. But this is one I'm glad I didn't buy (I found it on Openlibrary instead) .

In fact, while the title "The Vines of Yarrabee" certainly makes sense (given that our male protagonist lives, breathes, thinks, eats and drinks nothing but wine and his precious vineyards) I think I'll rename this book, "Married in Misery". I don't think Ive ever read one quite so miserable (and yes, Ive read Anna Karenina -which I liked) .

The moral of this
Michele
Jan 26, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it
This is your typical Dorothy Eden fare....she writes very good saga-like stories that revolve around one family for one or two generations. Her characters are never "goodies" or "baddies" instead every human has their own failings that show up.

This one is set in Australia during the settlement period. Eugenia arrives from England to meet/marry her fiance who is convinced that wine vineyards are the path to wealth in the Colony. Being a proper young English woman, Eugenia has much to adjust to: t
Joanne Moyer
Oct 03, 2011 Joanne Moyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I've read this one a few times over the years and even now I still enjoyed it. A good story is a good story, it doesn't matter when it was written.
Nae
Jul 22, 2015 Nae rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one, but the ending seemed sort of rushed.
William Simmons
Okay read

This is the second book I've read by Dorothy Eden.
To be truthful I cannot imagine why this book was on the NYT best-selling list for four months.
The plot of the book free me in and added to that was the fact that it took place in colonial Australia and I was hooked, or thought I was. I was to disappointed to read the entire thing. I did skip and skim my way to the end so I know I probably missed something meaningful but I couldn't work up enough curiosity to go back and pick it up.

The
Patricia
Aug 20, 2015 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elise
Sep 14, 2010 Elise rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. But I wonder what went on in Dorothy Eden's life that made her repeatedly write about cheating husbands and wives.
Karen G Clesen
Aug 16, 2015 Karen G Clesen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

Every bit as good as "The Thorn Birds" . And every bit as tragic. A man and a women spend 24 years together building a winery, yet never really understanding each other until the end. Their lives in New South Wales a testimony to the early settlers of Australia. A great, rewarding read!

Vmontgzz
Mar 27, 2013 Vmontgzz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histórico, familia
Kathi
Jul 27, 2015 Kathi rated it really liked it
Published in 1969, this is the way books should be written!

The author sums it up in the closing paragraph of Chapter 29: "How was it possible for two people to live together for so long and know so little about each other?" And then totally turns everything around for the last two chapters.
Rachel
Feb 13, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Part of my Books of the Century challenge. Enjoyed this one. Not too much romance but not a lot of substance either. Quick and easy read.
Jaime
May 10, 2010 Jaime rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Entertaining historical. It's a generational saga that starts with a prim English lady coming to Australia in the 1820s to marry a rugged vintner intent on creating Australia's first wine trade. Lots of interesting detail about 19th century Australia. If you liked Green Dolphin Street or The Thorn Birds, you may like this.
Misfit
3.5 stars. Another good solid read from Eden. Michele's review here pretty much mirrors my own thoughts, so I'll pass on trying to rewrite it.
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
An aristocratic lady moves to Australia with her husband, hates the land, and turns to another man for comfort.
Oct 16, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Read it a long time ago, I remembered staying up until 6 a.m. reading it.
Wyyknot
The vines of Yarrabee by Dorothy Eden (1969), [1st American ed.]
Judy
Jan 21, 2014 Judy rated it liked it
READ AGAIN 2-28-1992. And again 1-20-2014
Stephanie Labbate
Nov 18, 2013 Stephanie Labbate rated it it was amazing
Purchased at the Lebec ME library.
Gigi Calvert
Gigi Calvert rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jan Wilkes
Jan Wilkes marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jeri Robinson
Jeri Robinson rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Candace
Candace rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Patricia Tack
Patricia Tack rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
  • Scent of a Killer
  • Seven Tears for Apollo
  • Night's Pawn (Shadowrun, #10)
  • The Trouble with Angels
  • Outback Station (Outback Sagas)
  • Scent of Cloves
  • Look Away, Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #2)
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs, #3)
  • War Chief (White Indian, #3)
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • Exposé (Sally Harrington, #1)
  • Wings Above the Diamantina
  • Menfreya in the Morning
  • Sara Dane
  • Von Ryan's Express
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
Aka Mary Paradise.

Dorothy Eden was born in 1912 in New Zealand and died in 1982. She moved to England in 1954 after taking a trip around the world and falling in love with the country. She was best known for her many mystery and romance books as well as short stories that were published in periodicals. As a novelist, Dorothy Eden was renowned for her ability to create fear and suspense. This earne
More about Dorothy Eden...