Start by marking “The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle” as Want to Read:
The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

"The wacky plot and quirky details . . . will appeal to young and reluctant readers who like their fiction light and offbeat."— SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

Roscoe Wizzle used to be a normal ten-year-old kid. But that was before a sign reading COMING SOON! GUSSY'S! sprang up in a vacant lot. A sign showing Gussy Gorilla eating a Jungle Drum-just about the biggest hamburger in the
Published April 12th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it it was ok
This book was unique. I'm sure that the idea of the book was never done before which is great, but it wasn't amazing. It was just fr enjoyment. I read it for school, which is good if you are reading the book for an assignment, but I wouldn't read it if I didn't have to. The events are clear and the writing is simple. This book would be good for like a 2nd grader but not for a 3rd grader. I just think that for some reason. I guess that book just made me feel that way. I read this in grade 4 so I ...more
May 06, 2008 Lora rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Elliott tells this story through Roscoe’s point of view. It’s each unique character’s personality and the way Roscoe describes his surrounding that make this book interesting. Unlike other humorous stories meant for children; this book is filled with much more dry humor and sarcasm. Younger children might not always understand the humor on the page, but will definitely find the overarching plot of Roscoe’s transmogrification very funny. Incorporating fantasy into the plotline also adds to the hu ...more
Jan 21, 2008 Debnance rated it it was amazing
Another Christmas book (probably another purchased for one cent!) led me to acquire this children’s book from the library last week. Roscoe Wizzle leads a quiet life; his father needs quiet after a day testing cymbals and his mother needs quiet because she is an orphan. Supper preparation becomes too much for the parents, leading them to send young Roscoe down to the new fast food Gussy’s each night for dinner. After six months of eating Jungle Drums (a semi-hamburger) for dinner each night, Ros ...more
Quirky book that I picked up based on the title reference to The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

The first chapters are the strongest, with quite a few great jokes.. but I started to lose interest towards the middle. .. nevertheless, I can see a goofy 9 year old getting into it.
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
RL940. A young science fiction book about a fast food restaurant that turns kids into bugs with tainted burgers. Probably good for discussions about eating habits and hazardous waste/environmental issues.

The only downfall of the book is that I felt the characters were rather flat. I never bonded with any of them or felt invested in the story. A short read that will likely appeal to Pinkwater and Scieszka fans.
Dec 23, 2008 Cornmaven rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
This is a really cute book. The reviews say it's like Kafka's Metamorphosis and Roald Dahl together, and I agree. It's just a fun book, and like the author intended, all's well at the end. Boys will like it, and I think a kid who doesn't normally like to read would like it well enough to stick with it.
Laura (booksnob)
Mar 05, 2010 Laura (booksnob) rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2010
A really fun easy read that I think reluctant readers or boys might really enjoy. It is about a 10 year old boy named Roscoe who begins to tranmogrify into a bug. What ensues is a fun, yet thought provoking story. I encourage you to read it along with your child to talk about some of the themes in the book, like fast food or environmentalism.
Mar 26, 2012 Tami rated it it was ok

It's at times a fun, light-hearted read broken up by moments of boredom. It doesn't quite achieve either a parody or a re-telling of Kafka's METAMORPHOSIS. Willie's character is not clear. Many characters' motivations are ambiguous or just plain confusing. Although an easy read, I was disappointed in it because there is an underlying structure that could haave been so much more.
Nov 30, 2008 Nono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very sill and sure to appeal to the 3rd grade boy in everyone. Roscoe comes from a very boring and rather strange family. When the new burger place opens in town he starts eating there every day. Soon though children start disappearing in town. And then a classmate comments on the fact that Roscoe is starting to look like a BUG! What's going on??
Dec 29, 2008 Sheri rated it liked it
Read this book to some 5th and 6th grade kids. They were not impressed but it was funny how a boy turns into a bug after eating too much fast food. Made some food jokes and the kids thought that was interesting.
Jan 13, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Read aloud 6-10, read alone 8-12. Fun read about a fourth grade boy who is slowly transforming into a bug. Quick and fun. Don't think too hard, it's not trying to parody Kafka, it stands by itself.
Dec 20, 2014 Catharine rated it it was ok
It just didn't have enough to it. I think the story line needed some more fleshed out writing and building suspense. It was just too short to do this well.
Wendy Frost
Wendy Frost rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Claire rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2010
Kyra rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2009
Viviann rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Ed rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2015
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Pigge rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Joanna Cooke
Joanna Cooke rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Mrs. Aron
Mrs. Aron rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2008
Eric Boyd
Eric Boyd rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
Morgan rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Skyler rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2007
Christopher Broach
Christopher Broach rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Brenda rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2011
Jhale rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2010
John Bladek
Dec 27, 2008 John Bladek rated it really liked it
Very funny premise that it doesn't quite live up to, but still very good.
Angela rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Kay rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...