Start by marking “End of an Era” as Want to Read:
End of an Era

End of an Era

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Archaeologist Brandon Thackery and his rival Miles 'Klicks' Jordan fulfill a dinosaur lover's dream with history's first time-travel jaunt to the late Mesozoic. Hoping to solve the extinction mystery, they find Earth's gravity is only half its 21st century value and dinosaurs that behave very strangely. Could the slimey blue creatures from Mars have something to do with bo ...more
Published October 19th 2001 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about End of an Era, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End of an Era

Death on Zanath by Lee GimenezAll Clear by Connie WillisAnne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1 by Brynne StephensThe Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffreyFlashforward by Robert J. Sawyer
Where would SF be without these Authors part 3
47th out of 102 books — 18 voters
My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleySecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDog Days of Summer by P.J. FialaMay Day by Thom  StarkFor the Sake of a Child by Stevie Turner
On My Kindle
180th out of 215 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Loved Robert J. Sawyer’s standalone novel, The End of an Era. Time travel has been discovered and two unlikely travelers, two paleontologists from the 21st century, Canada -- (naturally since Sawyer’s novels often depict the awesomeness of Canadian culture – eh?) – with Brandy, a guy with many flaws and quite the Everyman in every respect, who just lost his wife to his best friend, Klicks, who is also aboard the same time ship.

Of course the resulting tensions between the two create a ripe atmos
This is my 5th or 6th Sawyer novel and I'm seeing common themes of science, family, moral decisions and God. However while some of the themes are common this is a different plot from previous books of his (that I've read). The pace is a little faster and we have some pretty cool action scenes.

In a nutshell, time travel is invented and it turns out that it is actually easier and cost less energy to go farther back in time than to a time nearer our own. So we go back 65 million years before the ex
May 06, 2014 Pablos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Bohaterem powieści “End of an Era” jest naukowiec Brandon Thackeray. Jest archeologiem w czasach, gdy nauka ta ma coraz mniej fajerwerków do zaoferowania. Uwielbia skamieliny, godzinami może rozprawiać o dinozaurach oraz o możliwych przyczynach ich zagłady. Mamy rok 2013. Brandonowi trafia się niezwykła okazja do osobistego sprawdzenia jak wyglądał świat mniej więcej 65 milionów lat temu, powstała bowiem maszyna do podróżowania w czasie. Jednak metoda podróży jest na tyle skomplikowana, że wyklu ...more
This starts off as a straight-up time travel adventure story. Two scientists embark on the first trip back to Cenozoic Canada. But rapidly it comes out that all our paleontological conclusions are mistaken; even the strength of the gravitational field of the Earth is not as has been assumed. Before revealing his fictional sweeping alternative explanation for life on Earth, Sawyer raises thought-provoking considerations in the real interpretation of the geological and astronomical record. I have ...more
Oct 17, 2009 Jehni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf, comedy
Not sure if this story was *meant* to be a comedy, but I laughed a lot. It certainly has chutzpah too - it takes quite a bit of guts to propose and seriously examine such a ... creative and (pardon the pun) novel explanation for both the size dinosaurs reached and the method of their extinction.
End Of An Era
by Robert J. Sawyer

I had no recollection at all of reading this originally but it was on my read shelf. So before recycling it, I skimmed the book to get a feel for it and see if it jogged any memories. It is a pretty short and fast read. Overall, while incredibly fanciful, a nice read.

The story is first person narrative from Brandon, a paleontologist who goes back in time with his best friend/ ex-wife’s boyfriend Klicks. There is an alternate thread of a Brandon reading a diary app
Having recently finished Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax trilogy, I was excited to read this book. Time travel has been invented, in 2016, i believe, and two men are being sent back in a rickety underfunded vessel to see what really killed the dinosaurs. The first thing i noticed was that, although their 'future' is only a couple years away, it seems quite outdated. they still use VHS!! lol. The second thing is, these men are not likeable. the book is the journal of one of the travelers, and it fl ...more
Roddy Williams
I started reading to be immediately disappointed. I wasn't expecting perfectly accurate scifi, but the attempts to be "scientifically accurate" were just painful to read for two reasons: they are scattered randomly through the plot to interrupt you with useless nonsense not referenced in the story ever again, and they rarely reflect paleontological reality.

This book would be better of a book about people; the writing style is brilliant when describing people's relations and emotions (which in th
Whenever the author mentioned something scientifically questionable, I folded the lower corner of that page. By the end of the read, the bottom of the book looked like origami. I almost had put the book down for that reason, but continued on. It turns out that there was a treasure to be found in that decision. Although the "science" part of the science fiction was terrible, the "fiction" part has good merits. There are creative ideas in here concerning the history of Earth.
Further knocking the
Every now and then, I like to channel the 10 year old boy I was who loved to watch Saturday morning cartoons and was simultaneously captivated by NASA's front page space race with the Soviets to place a man on the moon. The wide open imagination of that boy absorbed TV shows like "Time Tunnel", "Lost in Space", "Star Trek" (the original), movies like "First Men in the Moon", "The Time Machine", "Them", "Mysterious Island" and cartoons like "Jonny Quest", and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" ...more
A Sawyer-lite book in that fact the plot isn't as multidimensional as his later books. But it's still obvious that he writes fun enjoyable books to read. His characters are identifiable - even for scientists. The book is a new twist on what killed the dinosaurs with time travel and aliens. If you are a fan of Robert J. Sawyer, it's a must read.
More interesting science wrapped in shitty prose with obsessively reoccurring themes.

Someone always has a unibrow.
Someone is a Unitarian.
A professed atheist always ponders God.
We are given excessive detail on everyone's hair/skin/eye colour and clothing.

I'm moving on to a new author now.
This was a perfect beach book today, but the premise itself was ridiculous, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for hard sci fi or anything. But if you like time travel, dinosaurs, and (spoilers) aliens, then rock on.
When Jurassic Park came out in 1993, I can imagine Robert J Sawyer grinning wickedly and thinking, "I can trump that!" To say much more would make spoilers inevitable. But he does have fun topping Crichton.
This book really blew my mind. It's action-packed, there are dinosaurs, time travel, aliens and spaceships. It has the full package (at least for me) =]
Steven Cole
So, a pair of bickering paleontologists climb into a time machine and head back to find out what they can about the extinction of dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

What they find is OMG. Can't tell you. It's the most off the wall explanation of what killed off the dinosaurs I've ever heard. And at the end, it's all tidied up into the world of today.

So, pretty much fascinating. There was also a little bit of soul-searching in multiple timelines thing going on, but that's a bit awkward. This is early
Aero Windwalker
Spectacular imagination and vivid depiction of life forms and absolutely intriguing characters and story plots!!!
Nathan Burgoine
Not Robert J. Sawyer's best, but it is one of his first. It's still a fun story, with two time-traveling dinosaur-focused archeologists who go into the past, and learn that Earth's great lizards were being used by aliens. A fun and quick read, but not necessarily something I plan to re-read.
My least favorite Robert J. Sawyer novel. Creaky and over-elaborate plot, unlikeable characters.
This was totally fun--includes time travel as well as an alternative theory on why the dinosaurs all went extinct, as well as why they were able to be so big in earth's gravity--not to mention slimy, blue creatures from Mars and why it is a dead planet today. Typical Robert Sawyer writing--not great literature but really unique, interesting ideas and easy to read straight through. The way he ties up everything up at the end is very satisfying with even a little "wow" mixed in. Take with you on a ...more
Igor Stojkovic
Very interesting take on dinosaur extinctinction if nothing else, but I do like his style.
Una macchina del tempo sperimentale porta nel passato una coppia di paleontologi, in quello che ai nostri tempi è il bacino del Red Deer River, all'epoca della transizione Cretaceo-Terziario. Ovviamente sono alla ricerca della risposta alle molte domande sulla fine dei dinosauri, ed altrettanto ovviamente la risposta li lascerà esterefatti. Ma c'è dell'altro: com'è che funziona il tempo? Davvero è possibile cambiarlo? E gli uomini stanno davvero per diventare signori del tempo o sono solo strume ...more
Shaun Tennant
Somehow this book was easy to get into and read, while also being totally bizarre and unique. Without spoiling things, this novel covers just about the entire range of science fiction storytelling, in a way that moves quickly and keeps you excited. It's not the hardest-of-the-hard-SF Sawyer's known for, but it's written well enough to be plausible and really raise some interesting questions about dinosaurs. Bought it on an impulse, glad I did!
Tanvir Muntasim
Fairly enjoyble Sci fi story, mainly due to the fresh and crisp writing style. However, the details of the dinosaurs can be overwhelming at times and will turn off anyone but the most avid dinosaur loving geeks. However, his deep insights into humanity saves the book from just another time travel story.
I didn't like this book. It was, well, poorly written. Robert Sawyer has the reader jump time periods to write about where virii came from. The science is solid, but I don't know how this got published. At the end of the book, all disease is declared to be of alien origin. "What?" I say to myself.
Nathan Shumate
It's interesting to read early works by authors who've amassed a lengthy track record. Here you can see elements that Sawyer explores or echoes in subsequent novels: methods of communication between truly alien intelligences, time incursions to fix the past, rape trauma, and of course dinosaurs.
Ferdinand Digiuseppe
The book was a quick, fun read. Characters were likeable. The ending was, while predictable, well done and excitable. Anyway, I'm not really a book critic, but I do play one in my dreams sometime. I would really like to give this book three and a half stars but my computer won't let me.
Clayton Yuen
What a cool twist on the theory of how the dinosaurs went extinct! Though one of Robert J Sawyer's earlier books, he mended an intriguing, interesting and unexpected theme for this time travel adventure.

Don't try an even guess ... just read the book and enjoy the mind of Sawyer.
  • Bios
  • The Bones of Time
  • Something's Alive on the Titanic
  • Evolution's Shore
  • Time: A Traveler's Guide
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...