Start by marking “Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)” as Want to Read:
Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)

Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension #3)

In Far-Seer and Fossil Hunter, we met the Quintaglios, a race of intelligent dinosaurs from Earth and learned of the threat to their very existence. Now they must quickly advance from a culture equivalent to our Renaissance to the point where they can leave their planet.
While the Quintaglios rush to develop space travel, the discovery of a second species of intelligent di
Published August 1st 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Foreigner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreigner

My Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleySecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDog Days of Summer by P.J. FialaMay Day by Thom  StarkFor the Sake of a Child by Stevie Turner
On My Kindle
185th out of 218 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

James Steele
Jun 11, 2011 James Steele rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Journalstone

Many more years have passed since the end of Fossil Hunter. The Quintaglios continue to investigate the alien spacecraft. Meanwhile, Toroca discovers another species of sentient dinosaurs living on the other side of the moon. Afsan has been having strange, unsettling dreams lately and they’ve been affecting him personally, so he tries a new kind of medicine: the “talking cure.”

The third book in the trilogy has the strongest story. (And the Watcher is gone, hooray
Mar 15, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
More fun from Robert Sawyer's crazy imagination. This time the dinosaurs instead of humans have evolved on an earthlike world subject to many earthquakes, as well as the common societal beliefs that tend to develop in response to a fear of death and the unknown. Asfan, the reptilian protagonist, takes on the guise of Copernicus, Galilieo, Freud, and many other well-known historical ground-breakers, and becomes a Christlike figure as he tries to convince his peers that "The Face of God" is actual ...more
Dec 23, 2015 Chip rated it liked it
A good conclusion to Sawyer's dino-series. The second half of the book shows his talent in building interesting characters with good stories. Though this one doesn't really have a strong enlighten character as the first two (sorry I don't buy the connection with Freud). A bit rough in the section of nanobots building the space elevator.
Rebecca Hammond
Apr 08, 2015 Rebecca Hammond rated it really liked it
In some ways the most moving and yet least satisfying novel of Sawyer's Quintaglio Ascension trilogy. The third book surprisingly brought me to tears. While all the novels play unabashedly to the astronomy & paleontology nerd within us all, the third book also delves deeper into the psyche of the Quintaglios and the collective trauma they all experience. It's surprisingly powerful & feels remarkably truthful & real in spite of the other worldly context.
Taken as a whole, the ambitiou
Foreigner (Quintaglio Ascension, #3)
by Robert J. Sawyer

On the third outing into the world of sentient dinosaurs called Quintaglios the story fails to charm in the way the first book did or even the second book. Having introduced Quintaglio equivalents of Galileo and Darwin, Sawyer brings in a Freud-like figure and spends much of the book on Popeye’s psychology.

After telling us in book one that eyes don’t grow back (limbs and tails do), Afsan’s eyes do grow back but he can’t see. He enters int
Any book that makes me cry actual tears pretty much deserves 5 stars.

The last volume in Sawyer's Quintaglio Ascension trilogy, Foreigner picks up about two years after the events of Fossil Hunter: Novato and her team continue to excavate the crashed alien spaceship that seeded their moon with life, while Toroca (the "Darwin" of the last book who deduces the principles of evolution) makes contact with a new species of intelligent dinosaur, a peaceful civilization that casts the Quintaglios' own
Aug 30, 2010 Orin rated it liked it
An enjoyable book and a quick read, but a few things bug me.

Firstly, I expected a return of The Watcher from Fossil Hunter. A sentience that spans the Universe and is, in fact, older than it? Awesome. Sounds like it should probably be a repeating character, though.

Secondly, there seems to be a logical flaw with the Jijaki extinction. So the last space ark to the Quintaglio moon happens to now have the last Jijaki on it — ok. It plummets from the sky. All established in Fossil Hunter. But as pres
Apr 23, 2015 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it was part three of a series...but it can be read independently. My first sci-fi novel that I utterly fell in love with.

Never thought I'd find something in this genre (sci-fi) that I would simply adore...don't know what it is actually. Was it the author's style or the content that totally facinated me? It's an undeniably a Goodread though.
Jan 16, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was a perfect end to a great trilogy. Everything was intertwined with the first two novels so well that it made me believe that the author wrote all three books before the first one was even published. Many small and seemingly insignificant events from the series all came together in a wonderful explanation at the end. While the first two books were somewhat predictable, this one kept me guessing the entire way.

The characters were much deeper in this book. I enjoyed the constant v
Jul 20, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
These Robert Sawyer dinobook a have been fun. I've particularly enjoyed the irony of this dinosaur race discovering the theory of evolution - and resisting it in the name of religion!
Jan 26, 2008 Chriss rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans, anthroplogy fans and anyone who likes a really good story
Foreigner is one of my favorite books. I first read it in 1994 when it was in it’s ACE Books mass market edition. It was on one of those revolving racks at the Linda Vista Library in San Diego. I later purchased my TOR trade paperback edition at Mysterious Galaxies in 2000-something and I’ve read it about three times. I’ll probably re-read it many times more.

My blog has a full review (which the author's blog links to as a good review).
Michael Christopher
Jul 26, 2011 Michael Christopher rated it it was amazing
The trilogy draws to a close with the titular reptilians having to face their inner selves as they reach for space. The primitive nature of their society is laid plain as the characters find themselves going to war with a newly discovered race without quite understanding why, and are forced to confront the inner demons that led them into conflict when their blind sage proves to have been emotionally traumatised by the very society that he is trying to save.
John Cooley
Jan 26, 2014 John Cooley rated it really liked it
a decent finish.
Clayton Yuen
May 18, 2011 Clayton Yuen rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Good ending to a trilogy . . . happy ending to a trilogy! This story apparently is a reflection of the Human Condition and the good traits missing from the Quintaglio civilization. Hidden between layers of blood and gut hunting and territoriality, the reasons of being human are appreciated . . .
Feb 15, 2010 Bruce rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read an SF book that I enjoyed this much. If I had to compare it to something I would compare it to the Foundation Trilogy. Yeah, it's that good. Highly recommended and definitely a keeper that I may read again some day. Fun, exciting, And thoughtful.
Russell Olson
Aug 16, 2012 Russell Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
I read this series in junior high and high school. From what I remember, they're vividly written and wonderfully imagined. Maybe sometime in the not so distant future I'll revisit them.
Ronald Vasicek
Mar 31, 2010 Ronald Vasicek rated it liked it
Just an OK book
Ian Tate
Ian Tate rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Pantelis rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
James marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Kurt rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Stephen Johnson
Stephen Johnson rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Robert rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Atheris rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Sean Patrick
Sean Patrick rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Randall L. Corn
Randall L. Corn marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Mae McKinnon
Mae McKinnon rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
  • In the Courts of the Crimson Kings (Lords of Creation, #2)
  • Red Thunder (Thunder and Lightning, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • The Queen Jade: A Novel
  • Night Relics (Ghosts, #1)
  • Time Pressure (Lifehouse, #2)
  • Blue Haired Alien Girlfriend
  • Blind Lake
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • The Grendel's Shadow
  • Time Spike
  • Mission to Minerva (Giants, #5)
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
Robert J. Sawyer is one of Canada's best known and most successful science fiction writers. He is the only Canadian (and one of only 7 writers in the world) to have won all three of the top international awards for science fiction: the 1995 Nebula Award for The Terminal Experiment, the 2003 Hugo Award for Hominids, and the 2006 John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Mindscan.
Robert Sawyer grew up in
More about Robert J. Sawyer...

Quintaglio Ascension (3 books)
  • Far-Seer (Quintaglio Ascension, #1)
  • Fossil Hunter (Quintaglio Ascension, #2)