Start by marking “The Faith of a Scientist” as Want to Read:
The Faith of a Scientist

The Faith of a Scientist

Famed LDS scientist Henry Eyring discusses his convictions that science and religion, properly understood, are not two separate worlds but an interlocking unity.
Published 1967 by Bookcraft, Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Faith of a Scientist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith of a Scientist

Jeff Stockett
Dec 08, 2010 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: religous
This short book is a collection of essays dealing with the supposed conflict between science and religion. Though I myself, am not a scientist, I have always been fascinated by science and the discovery of the world around me. I have never felt that there was a conflict between science and religion but there are certainly those who do. This book wasn't necessarily written to refute those who see conflict, but rather to share some thoughts on science and religion from a man who believes strongly ...more
LeeAnn
Jun 07, 2009 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Favorite quote, "I should like to say that true religion was never a narrow thing. True religion concerns man and the entire universe in which he lives. it concerns his relationships with himself and his fellow men, with his environment, and with God his Creator. It is therefore limitless, and as boundless as that eternity which it teaches lies ahead of every son of God."

I love this book. Henry Eyring was all-scientist in his approach to truth. He points out that the gospel encompasses all truth
Niccole
Aug 31, 2008 Niccole rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It is small, only 54 pages. It was originally complied from a longer book by Dr. Eyring, and was published church-wide for the youth in the late 1960's. It is now out of print and difficult to find. Luckily, the Pleasant Grove library had a copy, I just had to wait a long while on the hold list. It's really thought provoking.
Ross Blocher
May 08, 2015 Ross Blocher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally read this book after a respected co-worker had recommended it to me a couple times in our long conversations about the relationship between scientific knowledge and religious belief. It was written by Dr. Henry Eyring in 1967, with the key goal of sharing his own ways of reconciling an esteemed career in the physical sciences with his LDS beliefs (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints).

First of all, Eyring has all the right credentials. His Mormon bona fides include being born in
Cindy
Aug 31, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS
This was a very small book I had heard about and wanted to read for myself. Dr. Henry Eyring was a chemist and father of LDS Apostle Henry B. Eyring. The first chapter seems to be taken from a talk, but the rest are essays on various aspects of religion and science.

My favorite chapter was the one called 'The Six Worlds.' I really enjoyed the message. Eyring says we all live in 6 worlds - the subatomic world, the atomic world, the cellular world, the 'real world', the astronomical world, and the
Lindsay
May 29, 2009 Lindsay rated it really liked it
This is a short compilation from a larger book with the same title--certain chapters are taken from the larger book and included here as kind of a "sampler." There are a lot of really deep insights in this book that Dr. Eyring makes. I don't think I fully appreciated it however because I don't really understand all the science topics he discusses. This was nice because I got the gist of the larger volume without having to read the whole thing. ;)
Heather
Oct 06, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
I want to give a copy of this book to all my friends/cousins who are graduating from high school and going to college. It makes such sense and clears away clutter from misunderstandings about what to believe in school.
Trevor Parker
Jan 27, 2017 Trevor Parker rated it it was amazing
Great book if you can comprehend all the science. And it has an impressive amount of science.

Henry Eyring was a world renown chemist and pulls on his experience in chemistry and physics to demonstrate why he feels science proves there is a God, in his opinion. In simple terms, he explains the profound complexity and beauty of the world, as science currently (as of the 1960's) understands it. Eyring points out that for some reason people take the complexity, arguments, and lack of understanding
Becky
In this collections of speeches and articles, world-reknown chemist, Henry Eyring beautifully argues that science and religion are actually one. He says science explains the how of the world and religion explains the why, that you need both to get the full truth, and that someday we will see the two merge, when our understanding has greatly progressed. Although many of the scientific examples he gives were more than a bit over my head, Eyring's premise rang true to me.

"Some have asked me: 'Is t
Andrew Naylor
Feb 02, 2017 Andrew Naylor rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Having studied much science in college, I have often been confronted by the question, how can science and religion co-exist? Henry Eyring does a wonderful job at portraying how his scientific discoveries, as well as the discoveries of world renowned scientists have strengthened his belief in a superior being. I loved this book, and would highly recommend to anyone interested in the debate on science and religion, written from the perspective of a Latter-Day Saint.

Favorite quot
Bryan Tanner
Apr 03, 2014 Bryan Tanner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gospel-knowledge
All of a sudden all of my 12-14 year-old Sunday School students are super interested in the Theory of Evolution and where our bodies came from and the relationship between religion and science. I started researching by reading expert blog posts. Then I asked my dad. Then I pulled this out and read it. I've decided to just let my students borrow it; although I'll likely never see it again. I think it's the best resource I can share with them other than sharing my heartfelt belief that science and ...more
Rebecca
Apr 06, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: lds, non-fiction
This is the pamphlet version of what should have been 196 pages (this is a mere 53 pages... and is small. Look at the thumbnail picture. Now look at the book. Now back at the thumbnail. It's the same size.) The preface states that this is a selection of unabridged articles from the book of the same name.

My desire in reading this was to gain a greater understanding of Dr. Eyring's thoughts after having read his biography,Mormon Scientist. This is a quicker read (not much), but I lean now towards
Jason
Jul 13, 2009 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: churchy-stuff
Some very quotable material here by a distinguished scientist and faithful Mormon. The book is now forty years old, but the subject matter deals more with the relationship between faith and science generally than any particular scientific discovery, so it has aged well.

It's a good book, but fairly meandering. I wouldn't say there's much of a unifying theme to these writings other than that faith and science are compatible. I will treasure many of the individual insights Eyring offers, but the bo
Stacey
Jan 12, 2011 Stacey rated it liked it
From a scientist's perspective I think its an excellent book that discusses the many facets of the universe that make so many scientists believe in God.
However, from a reader's perspective I thought it was quite boring. That's why it took me so long to finish. Every night when I picked it up I could only get through a few pages before falling asleep.
Lafe
Aug 10, 2014 Lafe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, adult, science, 2014
Being educated and religious can sometimes seem like a contradiction. This is a great book, I have arrived at many of the same conclusions as the author about science and religion which is why he and I both continue believing in the message of mormonism despite being trained in the science. This book is fantastic.
Brian
Aug 14, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious, science
Excellent, and highly readable account of how one scientist reconciles his belief in God with his experience and belief in science. My favorite quote from the book to a question about believing something taught about evolution, or geology or something: "In this church, you only have to believe in what's true. So go figure out what's true."
Christie
Apr 28, 2011 Christie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Eyring was a brilliant scientist as well as a man of deep faith. I have always felt that religion and science need not be enemies. He puts into words that sentiment and explains how it can be. I feel I have a more abiding faith in God and desire to seek all truths after reading this book.
Dan
Apr 26, 2009 Dan rated it it was ok
Somewhat dated. Hard to read, as all the chapters were literally articles collected from his career. There were a few good concepts though. A scientist seeks truth from whatever source. As mans understanding comes closer to gods understanding conflicts will lessen. A quick read.
Carolyn
Sep 18, 2016 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I plan to include this book on the kids' high school curriculum. Wonderfully faith-promoting and a delight to read, with short manageable nuggets of wisdom. (Not that you couldn't swallow it in one heady gulp; I almost did.) Thanks to Rachel, my sister-in-law, for recommending it.
Eric Lassen
May 04, 2013 Eric Lassen rated it it was amazing
I read this while on my mission. It was interesting learning about the history of Science and how many of the pioneers of Science were in it to find out how God did things. And also it was interesting coming from a man who is a scientist but also a man of faith.
Elizabeth S
Oct 25, 2008 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-religious, c-adult
The science is a little old, now. After all, the book was compiled in 1967. But the principles are still true. Dr. Eyring says over and over that "true science and true religion" do not conflict. And he says it very well.
Anita Williamson
Aug 16, 2012 Anita Williamson rated it liked it
What a wonderful man. I was hoping he would address some of the apparent inconsistencies between religion and science. These were more glossed over, however his way of glossing them over was in a thoughtful way.
Veronica Stearmer
Jan 27, 2013 Veronica Stearmer rated it it was amazing
I like to reread this book (condensed version that I own) every few years. Just enjoyed another uplifting read. Science has always been one of my favorite subjects.
Addison Alley
Jun 15, 2012 Addison Alley rated it really liked it
A must read for all scientists of faith, especially those of the LDS persuasion. Although it is quite dry at times, it provides insights that are very uplifting.
Clayton Chase
Sep 06, 2011 Clayton Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Gospel commits us only to the truth. The same pragmatic tests that apply in science apply to religion. Try it. Does it work?
Ed
Jun 10, 2008 Ed rated it it was amazing
What a great testimony of a valiant member of the church. It is fascinating to see Henry Eyring's explanation of the interplay between science and religion.
Angie
Jun 26, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
Awesome book about the life of an inspiring and influential man. I loved his ability to reconcile science and religion, or as he would probably prefer, not worry about it at all.
Aubrey Dustin
Dec 29, 2014 Aubrey Dustin rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-non-fiction
This was a valuable read for me. It helped me to reconcile my interest in science with my faith.
Michael Eraso
Jan 19, 2013 Michael Eraso rated it really liked it
A brilliant mind who sees faith and science as one in the same. Great read for those who feel science and faith are enemies of one another.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Lord's Way
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • Doctrinal New Testament Commentary: Volumes 1-3
  • Teaching by the Spirit
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 1: 1995-1999 (Hardcover)
  • Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring