Start by marking “The Faith of a Scientist” as Want to Read:
The Faith of a Scientist

The Faith of a Scientist

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Famed LDS scientist Henry Eyring discusses his convictions that science and religion, properly understood, are not two separate worlds but an interlocking unity.
Published 1967 by Bookcraft, Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Faith of a Scientist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith of a Scientist

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomOctober Snow by Jenna BrooksThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoChicken Soup for the Teenage Soul by Jack CanfieldThe Jetstream of Success by Julian Pencilliah
Best Inspirational Books
66th out of 244 books — 357 voters
Holy Bible by AnonymousThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.The Bhagavad Gita by AnonymousTao Te Ching by Lao TsuThe Quran by Anonymous
Best Holy Books
113th out of 155 books — 464 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Stockett
This short book is a collection of essays dealing with the supposed conflict between science and religion. Though I myself, am not a scientist, I have always been fascinated by science and the discovery of the world around me. I have never felt that there was a conflict between science and religion but there are certainly those who do. This book wasn't necessarily written to refute those who see conflict, but rather to share some thoughts on science and religion from a man who believes strongly...more
LeeAnn
Favorite quote, "I should like to say that true religion was never a narrow thing. True religion concerns man and the entire universe in which he lives. it concerns his relationships with himself and his fellow men, with his environment, and with God his Creator. It is therefore limitless, and as boundless as that eternity which it teaches lies ahead of every son of God."

I love this book. Henry Eyring was all-scientist in his approach to truth. He points out that the gospel encompasses all truth...more
Niccole
I really loved this book. It is small, only 54 pages. It was originally complied from a longer book by Dr. Eyring, and was published church-wide for the youth in the late 1960's. It is now out of print and difficult to find. Luckily, the Pleasant Grove library had a copy, I just had to wait a long while on the hold list. It's really thought provoking.
Cindy
Feb 28, 2009 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS
This was a very small book I had heard about and wanted to read for myself. Dr. Henry Eyring was a chemist and father of LDS Apostle Henry B. Eyring. The first chapter seems to be taken from a talk, but the rest are essays on various aspects of religion and science.

My favorite chapter was the one called 'The Six Worlds.' I really enjoyed the message. Eyring says we all live in 6 worlds - the subatomic world, the atomic world, the cellular world, the 'real world', the astronomical world, and the...more
Lindsay
This is a short compilation from a larger book with the same title--certain chapters are taken from the larger book and included here as kind of a "sampler." There are a lot of really deep insights in this book that Dr. Eyring makes. I don't think I fully appreciated it however because I don't really understand all the science topics he discusses. This was nice because I got the gist of the larger volume without having to read the whole thing. ;)
Bryan Tanner
All of a sudden all of my 12-14 year-old Sunday School students are super interested in the Theory of Evolution and where our bodies came from and the relationship between religion and science. I started researching by reading expert blog posts. Then I asked my dad. Then I pulled this out and read it. I've decided to just let my students borrow it; although I'll likely never see it again. I think it's the best resource I can share with them other than sharing my heartfelt belief that science and...more
Heather
I want to give a copy of this book to all my friends/cousins who are graduating from high school and going to college. It makes such sense and clears away clutter from misunderstandings about what to believe in school.
Brian
Excellent, and highly readable account of how one scientist reconciles his belief in God with his experience and belief in science. My favorite quote from the book to a question about believing something taught about evolution, or geology or something: "In this church, you only have to believe in what's true. So go figure out what's true."
Rebecca
This is the pamphlet version of what should have been 196 pages (this is a mere 53 pages... and is small. Look at the thumbnail picture. Now look at the book. Now back at the thumbnail. It's the same size.) The preface states that this is a selection of unabridged articles from the book of the same name.

My desire in reading this was to gain a greater understanding of Dr. Eyring's thoughts after having read his biography,Mormon Scientist. This is a quicker read (not much), but I lean now towards...more
Jason
Some very quotable material here by a distinguished scientist and faithful Mormon. The book is now forty years old, but the subject matter deals more with the relationship between faith and science generally than any particular scientific discovery, so it has aged well.

It's a good book, but fairly meandering. I wouldn't say there's much of a unifying theme to these writings other than that faith and science are compatible. I will treasure many of the individual insights Eyring offers, but the bo...more
Stacey
From a scientist's perspective I think its an excellent book that discusses the many facets of the universe that make so many scientists believe in God.
However, from a reader's perspective I thought it was quite boring. That's why it took me so long to finish. Every night when I picked it up I could only get through a few pages before falling asleep.
Christie
I loved this book. Eyring was a brilliant scientist as well as a man of deep faith. I have always felt that religion and science need not be enemies. He puts into words that sentiment and explains how it can be. I feel I have a more abiding faith in God and desire to seek all truths after reading this book.
Dan
Somewhat dated. Hard to read, as all the chapters were literally articles collected from his career. There were a few good concepts though. A scientist seeks truth from whatever source. As mans understanding comes closer to gods understanding conflicts will lessen. A quick read.
Eric Lassen
I read this while on my mission. It was interesting learning about the history of Science and how many of the pioneers of Science were in it to find out how God did things. And also it was interesting coming from a man who is a scientist but also a man of faith.
Elizabeth S
The science is a little old, now. After all, the book was compiled in 1967. But the principles are still true. Dr. Eyring says over and over that "true science and true religion" do not conflict. And he says it very well.
Anita Williamson
What a wonderful man. I was hoping he would address some of the apparent inconsistencies between religion and science. These were more glossed over, however his way of glossing them over was in a thoughtful way.
Angie
Awesome book about the life of an inspiring and influential man. I loved his ability to reconcile science and religion, or as he would probably prefer, not worry about it at all.
Kody
Well written essays. The author presents good hypotheses at the end. I really liked the chapter on obedience, finding it to be quite consistent with my own experience.
Veronica Stearmer
I like to reread this book (condensed version that I own) every few years. Just enjoyed another uplifting read. Science has always been one of my favorite subjects.
Addison Alley
A must read for all scientists of faith, especially those of the LDS persuasion. Although it is quite dry at times, it provides insights that are very uplifting.
Ed
What a great testimony of a valiant member of the church. It is fascinating to see Henry Eyring's explanation of the interplay between science and religion.
Clayton Chase
The Gospel commits us only to the truth. The same pragmatic tests that apply in science apply to religion. Try it. Does it work?
Michael Eraso
A brilliant mind who sees faith and science as one in the same. Great read for those who feel science and faith are enemies of one another.
Stephen Cranney
Henry Eyring is the quintessential independent, uncorrelated, but loyal voice in Mormonism.
Stephen
Quick read but insightful. I enjoyed it.
Anissa Kuhar
Anissa Kuhar marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Suyen
Suyen marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Henry Bennion Eyring is an American educational administrator and religious leader who is First Counselor in the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Eyring was the Second Counselor to Gordon B. Hinckley in the First Presidency from October 6, 2007 until Hinckley's death on January 27, 2008. On February 3, 2008, Eyring was called to be the First Counsel...more
More about Henry B. Eyring...
To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses Because He First Loved Us Reflections of a Scientist Choose Higher Ground Learning in the Light of Faith