Start by marking “Stand By My Servant Joseph; The Story of the Joseph Knight Family and the Restoration” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In Nauvoo, the Prophet Joseph Smith reflected on the course of the Restoration and paid tribute to Joseph Knight's family, who had stood by him loyally. "They are my friends," he wrote. Regarded by many as the "second family of the Restoration," the Knight family participated in many of the events of the early Church. Joseph Smith used Brother Knight's wagon to retrieve th ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Joseph Fielding Smith Institut

Be the first to ask a question about Stand By My Servant Joseph; The Story of the Joseph Knight Family and the Restoration

Willis Whitlock
Great read. As a descendant of Joseph Knight the book offered me a chance to put real life stories with the names I know from my pedigree chart.
Emily
This was a fun way for me to read LDS church history, since it was about some of my ancestors. Even if you're not from the Knight family, it still makes the story of the church's early years pretty accessible (for a rather long book with a lot of side excursions into family histories). I liked that the author gives the controversial topics in the book a fair reading. He doesn't just take journal entries or other LDS accounts at face value, but discusses them in a historical and theological conte ...more
Careen Valentine
Funny story. I was taking a "Writing Family Histories" class from Dr. Hartley, when I was introduced to this book. It is the "family history" of my Knight, Slade, and Hartwell ancestors. Completely by coincidence, I selected the part of this ancestral line that picks up where Dr. Hartley's book leaves off, for the history I wrote in his class.

Bill Hartley's professionally written history is a beautiful memorial to the legacy of the Colesville Saints.
Mark Peterson
Pretty much the same as his previous book on the Knight family, just updated and improved (and this is discussed in the Preface.) The footnoting is more modern and this book feels more scholarly than the original book.
Finn
A great read. A wonderful account of a very supportive family in the early days of The Restoration.
Nancy
Interesting. Explained some aspects of Church history form a little different perspective
Kevin Black
Writing meh. Info cool.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Dick Humphries
Dick Humphries is currently reading it
Oct 19, 2014
Karie
Karie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Cs Hawker
Cs Hawker marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Mark
Mark added it
Oct 22, 2013
Lenoa
Lenoa marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Neciapseamons
Neciapseamons marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2013
Jmnewquist5
Jmnewquist5 marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Gary Mangum
Gary Mangum marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2011
KaRynn
KaRynn marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2011
Anson Bowen Call: Bishop of Colonia Dublan My Fellow Servants: Essays on the History of the Priesthood The Everything Family Tree Book: Finding, Charting, and Preserving Your Family History My Best for the Kingdom: History and Autobiography of John Lowe Butler, a Mormon Frontiersman They Are My Friends; A History of the Joseph Knight Family, 1825-1850