Century of the Wind (Memory of Fire 3)

Century of the Wind (Memoria del fuego #3)

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  37 reviews

From pre-Columbian creation myths and the first European voyages of discovery and conquest to the Age of Reagan, here is "nothing less than a unified history of the Western Hemisphere... recounted in vivid prose."-The New Yorker

A unique and epic history, Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy is an outstanding Latin American eye view of the making of the New World. From...more
Published June 17th 1998 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Century of the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Century of the Wind

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
The last volume of the trilogy Memory of Fire.

My expectation was less. I thought that after thoroughly enjoying the first (Genesis) and second (Faces & Masks) the novelty would have worn off and I'd have not much reason to gush over it. I was wrong. The metaphors here are as startling as ever, the characters as unforgettable, the relived history as heartbreaking and the prose as ecstatic.

For me Memory of Fire is one rare book which, if I find someone rating it a low 4 stars I'd wonder if he...more
Lena
Sep 07, 2012 Lena rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lena by: Professor Karim
This was a fantastic revelation for me:I hadn't previously known very much at all about Latin American history and Galeano's vignettes were a wonderful introduction. The emotive, personal perspective that he is able to share with readers is captivating and educational. I certainly shy away from any description of this novel as a fiction, because the events discussed are completely factual. The way Galeano expresses the brutality of Latin American history should make readers uncomfortable, but al...more
Tim
Having read the historic and mythic Faces and Masks I knew (mostly) what I was getting into with Galeano's Century of the Wind. The previous book was an enraged artistic history of the Americas from the vantage of the oppressed. In this last volume it is again the story of the oppressed, especially the poor worker of the land, but here the oppressor, as well as the local landowner or "president," is also the American corporation and the American government. His short vignettes of violence, revol...more
Kella
This has to be one of my favorite books ever. That's crazy talk, I know, but it's true. I did things a little backwards though since I haven't read the first two books of this trilogy, but if "Century of the Wind" is any indication, then I'm ready for some epistolary, fragmentary entries that render the last century into a beautiful collage of horror, humor, and industrialism. Wow.
Leanne Feliz Pastorpide
Century of The Wind, the third book in the Memory of Fire Trilogy written by Eduardo Galeano (1986), translated by Cedric Belfrage (1988), is about the history of Latin America in the Twentieth Century. The book is a tangible cry of how the people were brutally silenced and taken for granted. It is the living testimony of the countless unjust deaths. It is the use, misuse, and abuse of power captured in words. Vignette from vignette, it will touch your heart the way no other book can, forming a...more
Lucía Vijil Saybe
EXCELENTE FINAL para esta trilogía, uno de los mejores libros que he leído. La culminación perfecta para explicar el siglo pasado y una perspectiva amplia de quiénes fueron los destacados en cada país que buscaron la liberación. El Che Guevara que jamás se me van a olvidar, cambio el frasco de medicamentos que solía aplicar a los enfermos por una caja de balas y como todo nuestro proceso de "progreso-capitalismo" ha sido la subordinación para nuestros pueblos, me encantó "Lo inconcebible es que...more
Antonio
A must read for all fans of history! It is more than just a book. It is a picture in words.

I strongly recommend reading the entire trilogy, Memory of Fire. This is the third installment of Galeano's ode to Latin America. each chapter is a vignette in the history of the America's.

It contains both the good and bad of an entire continent. After finishing writing it, Galeano wrote that "more now than ever, I feel proud to have been born in this paradise, in this shithole that is Latin America"

This b...more
Miriam
I read the triology in no time, I just couldn't stop. It is not only beatifuly written, it is a piece of the untold history of a remarkable continent because its struggle for life, freedom, civil liberties and justice for their multiple ethnic population.Escapes from being panfletary because the poetry, the recuperation of legends and unknown people and written memorials. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to know Latin America.
Samantha
Beautifully written vignettes recreating moments in history. They may move you, give you goosebumps, haunt you. The prose is so alive and so brutally seductive --it would be easy to read it all in one sitting. I personally recommend reading one paragraph-sized entry a day --or one a week. So richly written, I needed time to digest each one. Galeano is brilliant, brilliant.
Jessie Kwak
Slowly making my way through Galeano's beautiful historical snippets. He makes history so haunting.
Marc Larrivée
It is hard to put into works how both beautiful and sad is writing is.
Andrew
Venas Abiertas after a few decades in the cellar.
Sps
The other volumes, though heartbreaking, didn't leave me as despairing as this one. In part because I could tell myself that it was all so long ago, that while the arc of the moral universe is long it does bend, it has been bending, towards justice*. But this volume comes up through the 20th century, up into my lifetime, and I can't deny that this is the world we live in. So the death squads and the IMF-demanded austerity measures and the continual assault on human rights by wealthy corporations...more
Brian
This history of Latin America's struggles during the Twentieth Century is passionate, polemical and poetic. Galeano is a committed Marxist but he is also intelligent, subtle when he should be and fair when facts demand it.

The book consists of brief paragraphs labeled by year and location that form a rich mosaic of events, heroes and villains. Galeano cites nearly 500 sources for a picture of Latin America that the typical North American reader is unlikely to get anywhere else.

The book has much i...more
Lisa
Part three of a three part history of The Americas. In true Galeano style, this non-fiction, magical realism, short story, trilogy, tells and re-tells the history of the hemisphere from genesis to the end of the 20th c.
Anastasia
I liked this trilogy a lot, much of Latin American history that I didn't know before. Educational & great read.
David
Probably the way history should be taught, if only it didn't have to be approved by the powers that be. They definitely would not approve.
Justin Podur
All of Latin American history is told in vignettes in Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy. This is an amazing, and inspiring, piece of work. I read it once before I knew anything about Latin America, and then again about 15 years later when I knew a lot, and it was even better the second time. An incredible book. When I learned Colombian history I went back and read about the assassination of Gaitan. Galeano is a true artist of history. He sees things differently, and writes about them differently,...more
Jcrandspace
a very poetic account of the highs -some- and the lows -many- with which the various countries that make up south and central america, plus mexico endured in the twentieth century. if you happen to be a right wing prosletyzer this book might open your eyes or harden your heart as it slant is certainly socialist. but if your not moved by the manipulation, suffering, failed bravery of so many murdered visionaries than maybe you don't have a heart. i need to read the entire trilogy.
Nicola
A tour-de-force of style and execution, this panorama of fragments, full of the "shits" and "marvels" of the 20th century should WOW you. Yes, this is a Leftist, highly political, satirical book. But how brave of Galeano to tackle so much and manage to, overall, not be overly didactic and moralizing. Though I know he is an activist and very politically engaged, in many ways this is an aesthetic achievement. Enjoy the wild ride.
Colin
A less known history of the americas. Focusing primarily on the exploitation of natives and campasinos. Told in potent prose designed to bring dramatic imagery to your mind. Sometimes hard to understand but never put dryly. his pattern of observations became slightly redundant by the end of the book. I lost my momentum but pulled through a few more injustices before finally finishing.
Molly
May 14, 2008 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The socially conscious among us and those who are trying to be
Recommended to Molly by: JD Dolan
History of South America in one- to two- page increments. Light and dark, rich in a history that constantly demands American readers to reconsider the false history we have created and to finally take accountability for our foreign policies. Poetic, enlightening.
Danielle
Fascinating insight how to begin to understand the destructive relationship between the US and South & Central America. Galeano's reporting background matched with his poetic sense of language and intimate glimpses or snapshots of history make this book unforgettable.
Carl
Remarkable narrative about the history of Central and South America told in small journal like entries that cover the past century. The writitng is beautiful as Galeano shows his country's changing shape through the power of corporations and people.
Lauren
Jun 13, 2007 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
For the most comprehensively poetic and heartbreaking chronicle of the U.S.'s oppression of Latin America in the 20th century. It's Garcia Marquez meets Howard Zinn and Daisy Zamora dances with the Zapatistas in Charlie Chaplin's backyard.
Stephen
This is the best book I've read on Latin America. It looks at 20th century Latin American history from the perspective of the people who lived it. It has an unashamedly left wing bias but it is written beautifully.
Zach
Probably my favorite book from Jane Miller's craft class at U of A (that I hadn't read at least). Educational too! I guess I'm reading the trilogy backwards, if I ever get around to the other two.
Greg
Galeano is one of my favorite authors. This is part of a really awesome trilogy telling of the history of the Americas (mostly Latin America)
Kim
Not as cohesive as the 1st volume in the series, but that might be because I skipped the 2nd volume, and this is much more recent history.
Caitlin
Great history written in a really interesting and different way. Beautiful and painful stories.
  • Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
  • Marks of Identity
  • Lotte in Weimar: The Beloved Returns
  • Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America
  • Letters from Mexico
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Montauk
  • The Conquest of New Spain
  • Wobblies! A Graphic History of the Industrial Workers of the World
  • The Gardener's Year
5822041
Eduardo Galeano is a Uruguayan journalist, writer and novelist. His best known works are Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire Trilogy, 1986) and Las venas abiertas de América Latina (Open Veins of Latin America, 1971) which have been translated into twenty languages and transcend orthodox genres: combining fiction, journalism, political analysis, and history.

The author himself has proclaimed his obs...more
More about Eduardo Galeano...
Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent The Book of Embraces Soccer in Sun and Shadow Upside Down: A Primer for the Looking-Glass World Mirrors: Stories of Almost Everyone