Start by marking “Century of the Wind (Memory of Fire, #3)” as Want to Read:
Century of the Wind (Memory of Fire, #3)

Century of the Wind (Memoria del fuego #3)

A unique and epic history, Eduardo Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy is an outstanding Latin American eye view of the making of the New World. From its first English language publication in 1985 it has been recognized as a classic of political engagement, original research, and literary form.
Published June 17th 1998 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Century of the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Century of the Wind

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
The last volume of the trilogy Memory of Fire.

My expectation was less. I thought that after thoroughly enjoying the first (Genesis) and second (Faces & Masks) the novelty would have worn off and I'd have not much reason to gush over it. I was wrong. The metaphors here are as startling as ever, the characters as unforgettable, the relived history as heartbreaking and the prose as ecstatic.

For me Memory of Fire is one rare book which, if I find someone rating it a low 4 stars I'd wonder if he
Lena
Sep 07, 2012 Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Lena by: Professor Karim
Shelves: sjsu07-f12
This was a fantastic revelation for me:I hadn't previously known very much at all about Latin American history and Galeano's vignettes were a wonderful introduction. The emotive, personal perspective that he is able to share with readers is captivating and educational. I certainly shy away from any description of this novel as a fiction, because the events discussed are completely factual. The way Galeano expresses the brutality of Latin American history should make readers uncomfortable, but al ...more
Tim
Apr 29, 2013 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the historic and mythic Faces and Masks I knew (mostly) what I was getting into with Galeano's Century of the Wind. The previous book was an enraged artistic history of the Americas from the vantage of the oppressed. In this last volume it is again the story of the oppressed, especially the poor worker of the land, but here the oppressor, as well as the local landowner or "president," is also the American corporation and the American government. His short vignettes of violence, revol ...more
Antonio
Feb 12, 2008 Antonio rated it it was amazing
A must read for all fans of history! It is more than just a book. It is a picture in words.

I strongly recommend reading the entire trilogy, Memory of Fire. This is the third installment of Galeano's ode to Latin America. each chapter is a vignette in the history of the America's.

It contains both the good and bad of an entire continent. After finishing writing it, Galeano wrote that "more now than ever, I feel proud to have been born in this paradise, in this shithole that is Latin America"

This b
Lucía Vijil Saybe
EXCELENTE FINAL para esta trilogía, uno de los mejores libros que he leído. La culminación perfecta para explicar el siglo pasado y una perspectiva amplia de quiénes fueron los destacados en cada país que buscaron la liberación. El Che Guevara que jamás se me van a olvidar, cambio el frasco de medicamentos que solía aplicar a los enfermos por una caja de balas y como todo nuestro proceso de "progreso-capitalismo" ha sido la subordinación para nuestros pueblos, me encantó "Lo inconcebible es que ...more
Kella
Mar 03, 2008 Kella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This has to be one of my favorite books ever. That's crazy talk, I know, but it's true. I did things a little backwards though since I haven't read the first two books of this trilogy, but if "Century of the Wind" is any indication, then I'm ready for some epistolary, fragmentary entries that render the last century into a beautiful collage of horror, humor, and industrialism. Wow.
Noor Abd-alhadi
Feb 24, 2017 Noor Abd-alhadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لم أقرأ نصا يرصد ويوثق لفترة تاريخية أكثر حيوية وبراعة من هذا النص كالجزأين السابقين يتابع عاليانو سرد تاريخ أمريكا اللاتينية الحافل بالحياة والموت والدم والانتصارات والهزائم وخيبات الأمل بكثير من الصدق وكثير من الإبداع والكثير الكثير من الاختلاف.. تاريخ لا يشبه أي تاريخ مروي ببراعة لا تشبه أية براعة .. استمتعت كثيرا بهذا النص الذي أعتبره من أفضل النصوص الساردة للتاريخ على الإطلاق لأن التاريخ ما وجد إلا كي يحيا فينا مرة أخرى حاضرا خاليا من الأخطاء والعثرات وغاليانو أبدع في إضفاء الحياة على تاريخ ...more
Leanne Feliz Pastorpide
Oct 14, 2012 Leanne Feliz Pastorpide rated it it was amazing
Century of The Wind, the third book in the Memory of Fire Trilogy written by Eduardo Galeano (1986), translated by Cedric Belfrage (1988), is about the history of Latin America in the Twentieth Century. The book is a tangible cry of how the people were brutally silenced and taken for granted. It is the living testimony of the countless unjust deaths. It is the use, misuse, and abuse of power captured in words. Vignette from vignette, it will touch your heart the way no other book can, forming a ...more
Rose Boehm
Apr 17, 2016 Rose Boehm rated it it was amazing
'Century of the Wind' apparently forms part of a trilogy: 'Memory of Fire'. I had not idea what I held in my hands when an old friend gave it to me last time I was in London, 'Because Latin America is where you live.' Indeed, I live in Peru, and this amazing book helps me understand so much better what happened here and why things are what they are. 'Century of the Wind' can't be described. It's not an easily pigeonholed book. It's a collection (in order of time and carefully researched) of pros ...more
Yaser Maadat
Dec 31, 2015 Yaser Maadat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
يختتم غاليانو ثلاثية ذاكرة النار بقرن الريح كما يسميه أو قرن الثورات في مواجهة الدكتاتوريات كما كان فعلا،زاباتا...بانتشو بيّا...ساندينو...جيفارا...كاسترو...سينفويغوس...الليندي،كانوا عناوين بارزة لاستيقاظ الروح الوطنية اللاتينية في مواجهة دكتاتوريات لا تستحق التسمية و ان كانت كلها واجهة حكم فقط لاضفاء شرعية ما على التدخلات الامبريالية التي ميّزت القرن بعد أفول حقبة الاستعمار المباشر.
يستمر غاليانو في عرض صور باهية لنضال اللاتينيين و عشقهم و ايمانهم و ارتباطهم بالارض و الوطن و الانسان في هذا الجزء
Michael
Apr 13, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
An hour or so from the close of the Memory of Fire trilogy, as I prepared for sleep, I learned of Galeano's passing. With a pain in my chest, I switched on the light and read until the final page. As I found myself at the end of this journey, my device reset itself and has been unresponsive since. On the home screen, beside the title of the series, where Eduardo Galeano's name ought be, there is a blank space.
Miriam
Dec 24, 2013 Miriam rated it it was amazing
I read the triology in no time, I just couldn't stop. It is not only beatifuly written, it is a piece of the untold history of a remarkable continent because its struggle for life, freedom, civil liberties and justice for their multiple ethnic population.Escapes from being panfletary because the poetry, the recuperation of legends and unknown people and written memorials. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to know Latin America.
Samantha
Dec 17, 2007 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written vignettes recreating moments in history. They may move you, give you goosebumps, haunt you. The prose is so alive and so brutally seductive --it would be easy to read it all in one sitting. I personally recommend reading one paragraph-sized entry a day --or one a week. So richly written, I needed time to digest each one. Galeano is brilliant, brilliant.
Jessie Kwak
Nov 14, 2010 Jessie Kwak rated it it was amazing
Slowly making my way through Galeano's beautiful historical snippets. He makes history so haunting.
Anastasia Alén
Jul 31, 2014 Anastasia Alén rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I liked this trilogy a lot, much of Latin American history that I didn't know before. Educational & great read.
Andrew
Jun 25, 2007 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Venas Abiertas after a few decades in the cellar.
Marc Larrivée
Dec 12, 2012 Marc Larrivée rated it it was amazing
It is hard to put into works how both beautiful and sad is writing is.
Rochelle Blumenstein
Here is comment as opposed to a review. So I've read the last 100 pages since Trump's inauguration. It's remarkable how many things his administration as has done and said in just a few days that mirror the actions and words of the dictators described in this series of books.
Dony Grayman
Dec 25, 2016 Dony Grayman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lp, ed-arg
Tomo 3 de Memoria del fuego. Edición argentina, 8ª.
Robbie Bruens
There's a great recording of the comedian Bill Hicks performing around election time back in 1992 during which he referred to the murderous Reagan/Bush foreign policy in Latin America and then asked "How does it feel to find out we're the Evil Empire?" Even if you're already pretty familiar with the U.S. policy of supporting and arming brutal rightwing dictators throughout the 20th century all around the world (but especially in the countries of the Western hemisphere), it's still astounding to ...more
Iván Olhaff
Feb 04, 2015 Iván Olhaff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La tercera y última parte de la trilogía de Memoria de Fuego no tiene un final como tal, esta magnífica obra que trasgrede las barrera de géneros literarios, es ensayo, es novela y más, todo ellos con el sello característico de Eduardo Galeano, su forma es muy flexible, es poética, satírica, humorística, te lleva de una sonrisa a la indignación en un santiamén, no sin atravesar muchos más sentimientos en ese lapso.
Con estos libros he constatado que la historia de nuestro continente hasta nuestro
Sps
Mar 19, 2009 Sps rated it liked it
The other volumes, though heartbreaking, didn't leave me as despairing as this one. In part because I could tell myself that it was all so long ago, that while the arc of the moral universe is long it does bend, it has been bending, towards justice*. But this volume comes up through the 20th century, up into my lifetime, and I can't deny that this is the world we live in. So the death squads and the IMF-demanded austerity measures and the continual assault on human rights by wealthy corporations ...more
Brian
Jan 11, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
This history of Latin America's struggles during the Twentieth Century is passionate, polemical and poetic. Galeano is a committed Marxist but he is also intelligent, subtle when he should be and fair when facts demand it.

The book consists of brief paragraphs labeled by year and location that form a rich mosaic of events, heroes and villains. Galeano cites nearly 500 sources for a picture of Latin America that the typical North American reader is unlikely to get anywhere else.

The book has much i
Lauli
¿Qué decir de este libro? Nos entretiene y nos duele, nos eleva el espíritu y nos hunde en los abismos más profundos de la maldad y la codicia humana, nos presenta a los héroes públicos y anónimos del continente americano y a sus peores opresores y dictadores. No puede contarse de otra forma la historia del siglo XX en Latinoamérica, siglo de revoluciones y totalitarismos, de reivindicaciones y matanzas, de esperanza y de terror. Todo esto nos ha pasado, y por eso es fundamental la lectura de es ...more
Robert
Oct 01, 2011 Robert rated it really liked it
In the concluding volume of this trilogy Galeano focuses on America’s evolution towards the contemporary age. Now instead of racial wars, the twentieth century brought about dictators such as Castro, Trujillo and others. Also many new inventions have been cropping up, not to mention the two world wars. The whole series ends with a letter the author writes about finishing of the trilogy.

On the whole, I can’t really complain about these three volumes. I enjoyed the way they were written and provid
Justin Podur
Jun 27, 2013 Justin Podur rated it it was amazing
All of Latin American history is told in vignettes in Galeano's Memory of Fire trilogy. This is an amazing, and inspiring, piece of work. I read it once before I knew anything about Latin America, and then again about 15 years later when I knew a lot, and it was even better the second time. An incredible book. When I learned Colombian history I went back and read about the assassination of Gaitan. Galeano is a true artist of history. He sees things differently, and writes about them differently, ...more
Nicola
Dec 26, 2010 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tour-de-force of style and execution, this panorama of fragments, full of the "shits" and "marvels" of the 20th century should WOW you. Yes, this is a Leftist, highly political, satirical book. But how brave of Galeano to tackle so much and manage to, overall, not be overly didactic and moralizing. Though I know he is an activist and very politically engaged, in many ways this is an aesthetic achievement. Enjoy the wild ride.
Jcrandspace
Aug 15, 2009 Jcrandspace rated it it was amazing
a very poetic account of the highs -some- and the lows -many- with which the various countries that make up south and central america, plus mexico endured in the twentieth century. if you happen to be a right wing prosletyzer this book might open your eyes or harden your heart as it slant is certainly socialist. but if your not moved by the manipulation, suffering, failed bravery of so many murdered visionaries than maybe you don't have a heart. i need to read the entire trilogy.
Colin
Nov 20, 2009 Colin rated it really liked it
A less known history of the americas. Focusing primarily on the exploitation of natives and campasinos. Told in potent prose designed to bring dramatic imagery to your mind. Sometimes hard to understand but never put dryly. his pattern of observations became slightly redundant by the end of the book. I lost my momentum but pulled through a few more injustices before finally finishing.
Olivia
Nov 03, 2015 Olivia rated it it was amazing
A fast read of stinging historical snippets of some of Latin America's and the United States' most pivitol moments. This book made me angry, cry, frustrated, and ache at injustice, all the while keeping me glued to the pages and admire Galeano's ability to turn atrocities into poetry and clever paragraphs.
  • Zapata and the Mexican Revolution
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • Our Word is Our Weapon: Selected Writings
  • Marks of Identity
  • Born in Blood and Fire: A Concise History of Latin America
  • Empire's Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism
  • Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America
  • Stolen Continents: 500 Years of Conquest and Resistance in the Americas
  • Aztecs: An Interpretation
  • Bluebeard
5822041
Eduardo Galeano was a Uruguayan journalist, writer and novelist. His best known works are Memoria del fuego (Memory of Fire Trilogy, 1986) and Las venas abiertas de América Latina (Open Veins of Latin America, 1971) which have been translated into twenty languages and transcend orthodox genres: combining fiction, journalism, political analysis, and history.

The author himself has proclaimed his ob
More about Eduardo Galeano...

Memoria del fuego (3 books)
  • Genesis (Memory of Fire, #1)
  • Faces and Masks (Memory of Fire, #2)