Start by marking “Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall, #3)

Dragondrums (Harper Hall of Pern #3)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  27,760 Ratings  ·  426 Reviews
Award-winning fantasy author Anne McCaffrey returns to the Simon & Schuster list!
Published April 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Dragondrums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragondrums

Rebecca
Jul 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mrs. McCaffrey,

What were you thinking? You had done a brilliant job with the first two books in this "trilogy", so please do explain why you felt compelled to switch your focus from our beloved heroine Menolly to her rambunctious sidekick, Piemur? This is no trilogy. Do you think you can just skip ahead three years and make Menolly a peripheral player? Do you think that you can write a slow-moving, rather repetitive adventure story that lacks the resonance of the first two books in this tri
Icarus
Why couldn't she have stopped at two? Why does every fantasy series have to be a trilogy or longer? This mediocre book drags the whole Harper Hall trilogy down with it.
Dan Debono
Jan 28, 2012 Dan Debono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my first "adult" fantasy books and I LOVED it! My mom bought it for me one summer and I devoured it (and began my love of Pern). I just started writing little bits for a mid sized daily in our area (or at least trying - I got a couple little mini features in - but I was only in 9th grade!).

Being so moved by this strange (to me) book, I decided to write Anne, never expecting to hear back, but sure enough, a great little handwritten letter found it's way into my parent's mailbox a
Beth
Jan 30, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Now this - this is interesting, because it's so clearly a book meant to be read with information from other books in the series, information that the first two Harper Hall books don't have. There are a lot of political machinations that are only referenced - so much of what's going on in the southern weyr is confusing to me! - and the choice to switch protagonists is an interesting one, too.

The resolution is less satisfying. I have no idea why Piemur wants to stay, nor do I think his motivations
Caroline
Dec 12, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragon
Each Pern novel can be read as a stand alone, but Dragondrums is the third book in the Harper Hall trilogy so if you want to read the books in the order, head over to Dragonsong (book 1) and Dragonsinger (book 2).

The story starts at the end of Dragonsinger where Menolly is made a Journeyman. Piemur prepares himself for a big event where he will be the lead singer until his voice breaks and he realises that his one and only ability which made him special has now disappeared.
But Piemur is very far
Kathy
Mar 04, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I enjoyed this conclusion to the Harper Hall Trilogy despite the fact that Menolly isn't the main character. I like Piemur and enjoyed reading as his story unfolded. There was enough of Menolly & other characters I enjoy to keep me happy.
Gillian Murrell
Oct 18, 2016 Gillian Murrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the change in focus from Menially to Piemur I still really enjoyed this book. When Piemur's voice broke rather than destroy his career it opened up a multitude of opportunities for him. Piemur soon finds himself using his skills to gather information for the Master Harper. Its entertaining reading about the situations he manages to get himself into and out of.
Caroline
Jun 06, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragon
But Piemur is very far from having just this one ability and Master Robinton knows how precious Piemur is. That is why Piemur is seemingly hired as a drums apprentice when in fact he is asked to becoming the Master Harper's ears and ey
Robin
Feb 17, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this book up to read, I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a continuation of Menolly's story. I wanted more about her. I wanted to watch Menolly and Sebell develop their relationship! Once again, I had to remind myself that these are not romance novels.

But I quickly got over my disappointment as I was taken into Piemur's world. He is all set to start practicing the part of Lessa in a new song to be performed, when his voice cracks. Piemur has never been thrilled with singing
Jeffrey
After devoting two novels to Menolly's struggles at the Harper Hall, McCaffrey changed her focus to Piemur, who played a substantial role in the first novel and the second novel as a foil to Menolly's excellence on instruments. He was a scamp and a rascal and befriended her. At the beginning of this novel, his voice broke, and his role as a singer was dashed.

McCaffrey who wrote the White Dragon barely a year before this book, then can put Piemur on the Southern Continent and describe what happen
Grace
Nov 04, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Don't go into this book expecting much Menolly; this is Piemur's book. He's a pretty entertaining character usually so you'd think that's a good thing, but in this installment he manages to take a personal journey similar to Menolly's in Dragonsong, and frankly he gets a little boring.

We do get some updates on Menolly, but she's older and established within the Hall hierarchy, and McCaffrey's decided to explore other bits of the Pern landscape using Piemur instead. Again, this is good for gettin
Clarice
Jan 10, 2009 Clarice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-home, 2009
I remember distinctly not liking this book as much as the other two of this series when I read it back as a child (oh, yes I was doing a reread bit for a couple days), but it turns out that it's actually a fun book! I think it was just that Ms McCaffrey changed the focus of the story from my beloved friend Menolly and moved over to a newer face with Piemur. Piemur isn't a bad sort, just a rather impetuous boy who gets in a lot of trouble. There is some fun with the politics of Pern in the backgr ...more
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly captivating and exciting read. Really makes you feel for Piemur as he tries to find his place as his whole world collapses around his ears, and the journey with him is particularly rewarding when he finds his own purpose. It's a shame that his personality seemed to take a 180 degree turn towards the end, once he met Sharra. What is it about that girl that changes so many endearing boys to snobs? That said, Piemur's snark is still there, and having "accompanied" him on his adventures ...more
Joan
The focus shifts from Menolly to a young imp who is at the Harper Hall but doesn't take his skill as seriously as Menolly: Piemur. This is another delightful adventure. I think this book proved so popular that McCaffrey almost had no choice but to include him in further stories about Pern. Again, as in the first two books of this series, these are suitable for kids unlike the regular Pern series. I've reread this series over and over and must remember to do so again in the near future!
Cass
Apr 28, 2011 Cass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all my friends
The finale of the trilogy focuses is set three turns (years) after the events in the previous two books. This time the book centres around the young Piemur as his life changes due to his voice breaking.

The opening chapters of this book are a little clumsy as McCaffrey tries to weave in the essential parts of the previous two books. However it still remains an absolute favourite.
Tara
Nov 07, 2015 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And Piemur gets the spotlight he deserves. I love Piemur, but in this book I have a few more issues regarding reactions to something huge Piemur does and the relationship between two characters. Still an old favorite though and I appreciate being able to come to it with a new light.
Jessie Potts
Aug 06, 2015 Jessie Potts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This is an amazing series and I'm so glad I discovered them again on Audible!
Dianna
Jul 11, 2017 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one almost as much as the first two. I think I would have understood and liked it a little more in the context of the whole series; I was reading the Harper Hall trilogy, but it looks like there's another book—The White Dragon—that comes between Dragonsinger and Dragondrums. Dragondrums included a lot of political stuff that I didn't understand, and I assume that is explained in The White Dragon. I am liking these books enough to possibly go back to the beginning and read all the Pe ...more
Sandra
Jul 09, 2017 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dans ce tome, on s'intéresse à Piemur, qui doit changer d'affectation, parce qu'il est en train de muer. Il se voit enseigner l'art des tambours. Il va se rendre dans le continent méridional pour savoir ce que manigancent les anciens, qui deviennent un peu suspects...

Je commence à vraiment envie de revoir le cycle principal. J'ai trouvé un peu long, sauf la fin (avec Farli et Stupide), ahhh ces paysages, ça fait rêver et j'ai envie de continuer mon exploration.
Lianne Pheno
Mar 07, 2014 Lianne Pheno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Avis tiré de mon blog :

Encore une superbe réussite pour ce troisième tome des harpistes. Toujours une relecture et une nouvelle découverte pour moi.

On change de point de vue cette fois ci, on suis les aventures de Piemur. Le pauvre vient de perdre sa voix, il mue. Envolé les rêves de chanter pour l’opéra écrit spécialement pour lui par son professeur préféré. Mais une nouvelle page démarre pour lui car il devient en quelque sorte un aide du Harpiste en chef en étant à l'atelier des Tambours, u
J. Else
Out of the three books, this one is the best even though the main character switches from Menolly to her best friend. I found a lot of similarities in the rivarly of Peimer and the drum hall boys (as Menolly struggled with in the 2nd book with the girls), but overall I found this one a more exciting read with more world of Pern things going on. I was disappointed in the unanswered questions this book left especially what are the fire lizards special role and why is everyone so obsessed with them ...more
Danica
Jul 17, 2008 Danica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anne-mccaffrey
As one might discern from my list I am a huge Anne McCaffrey fan. I have been reading her books since the fifth grade and have loved them always. They always transport me. When I pick up one now it is like going home. When I was a pre-teen and teen I read the first 8-9 starting with Dragonsinger almost every year so those are the ones I am the most familiar with. Also the Crystal Singer and Restoree. As I got older and had less time to indulge in reading and re-reading (dang! I miss those days) ...more
Jenelle
First of all, NO.

Second of all, a begrudging FINE (grumblegrumblegrumble).

Here's the deal: this series started off so so awesome, and while the second book wasn't as great, it still seemed to be leading up to something. But what it led up to was a story about somebody else, and oh yeah, Menolly is still here and grown up and doing fine.

And I'm just grumpy and scowling and not in the mood to be jerked around by authors like this.

Pfffttt! That's what I think about that.

At the same time, I can'
Kevin
Nov 30, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
Shelves: fantasy
This is really a 3 1/2 star book for me. (GOODREADS WHY DON'T YOU HAVE 1/2 STARS) It was quite a bit different from the 2nd novel in the trilogy which is my favorite of the series. This novel switched the focus to politics and the main character from Menolly to Piemur. The location also shifted away from the Harper Hall to other locations throught Pern.
The Harper’s are such an integral part of Pern and while the story moved from the Hall to various Holds and Weyrs, we see through the apprentice
Ralph McEwen
Jul 20, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful, wander full, full of wonder coming of age story. The story is extremely well told by Sally Darling. The protagonist and his group of characters are the truly good and smart ones who outwit the less goodly and intelligent characters they interact with. The story is interesting and veers in unexpected directions and ends with a complete but appropriate surprise. I have enjoyed this entire series and look forward to more tales of Pern and its inhabitants.
Marilyn
Dec 31, 2008 Marilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7th - 9th grade
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is only for those who loved the first two and want to finish up the trilogy. There were loose ends that never got resolved and some stealing that was deemed acceptable because the person stolen from a "bad" guy. This made me uncomfortable.
JT
Not quite as good as the first two, but still quite nice. And I don't mean to be damning it with faint praise either.
Carol Tuft
Aug 17, 2016 Carol Tuft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Another great read in the Pern series, good story leaves you wanting more, continue reading the series to get further events of Piemur
amal
Jun 07, 2016 amal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Apr 08, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy/sci-fi
I enjoyed this tale as much in my second reading as the first. A scamp becomes a young man, adventures and character growth being the foci.
A Million More Pages: 3 - Dragondrums (Harper Hall): Jul 21 3 10 Jul 27, 2015 02:41PM
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • The Forbidden Tower (Darkover, #12)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Arrow's Fall (Heralds of Valdemar, #3)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Harper Hall of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)