Start by marking “Diary of a Pilgrimage” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Pilgrimage

Diary of a Pilgrimage

While it is beyond doubt that Jerome K. Jerome is most well known for his comic masterpiece Three Men in a Boat, the range of his other literary achievements is staggering. Journalist, playwright and author, a wealth of his writing has remained just beyond the public gaze. Diary of a Pilgrimage is one such work.
The pilgrimage of the title is a journey to see the famous Pas
Published March 1st 2007 by Nonsuch Publishing (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Pilgrimage

Rebecca Foster
Just what I expected: a very silly book about the travails of international travel. It’s much more about the luckless journey and the endurance of national stereotypes than it is about the Passion Play the travelers see once they get to Germany. It was amusing to see the ways in which some things have hardly changed in 125 years.
Em
Oct 08, 2012 Em rated it it was amazing
It was fabulous. I had really read, reread and enjoyed other books by JKJ such as three men in a boat and three men in the bummel, mostly fiction. This book by the way, is non-fiction, mainly ruminating on life in general and Germany in specific, while the author was travelling with his friend B. in Germany to witness a religious play held once a decade or so. It was funny, scathingly sarcastic, but deeply thought provoking, and actually intense and serious if you chaff through all the humor coa ...more
Le Petit Chat
The beauty of reading smaller books is that they are like individually wrapped pieces of chocolate, you can devour several in a short space of time. Each with it's own unique flavour.

I am quite a fan of JKJ, finding his humour my favourite kind, alas in this book it didn't quite have the same effect it usually does. Here Jerome and his friend "B" travel to Germany to watch the Ober-Ammergau Passion Play, a play laid out once every 10 years as thanks to God for saving the town from plague.

Of cour
JackieB
Dec 08, 2010 JackieB rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, general
I really enjoyed this. I think I preferred it to Three Men in a Boat which sometimes seems to try to hard to be funny. It might be because I was in holiday in Austria when I was reading it on my way to the Oberammergau passion play (which was the aim of the Pilgrimage in the book).
Maggie
Jan 04, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
totally delightful reading. i travel a LOT more than i want to actually and i found good humor and similar insights on travels into foreign lands. JKJ has a fine touch to his writing, imo.
Bimbo
Oct 17, 2011 Bimbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kot zmeren ljubitelj humorja spretnega pisca iz neke minule dobe in nekega specifičnega naroda sem tudi to Jeromovo knjigo prebral brez zatikanja. Vendar me ponavljajoče preigravanje določenih klišejev, poigravanje z popolnimi absurdi in podobne vragolije niso niti pol toliko zabavale kot ob prvem branju njegove knjige (Trije možje se klatijo). Vsaka stvar mora biti ravno prav odmerjena in stric JKJ je kot staro vino: dober v pravih trenutkih in zmernih odmerkih. Prevod se mi zdi dober in pisan ...more
Simon Mcleish
Oct 11, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in January 2001.

The passion play at Oberammergau is unique, and to many people a journey to see it would be something of a pilgrimage. Such a journey is the subject of this comic novel, very much in the style of Jerome's big success, Three Men in a Boat. The journey is made by rail, and the humour is on such subjects as the obscurity of railway timetables.

It is interesting to compare Diary of a Pilgrimage to Jerome's later Three Men on the Bummel, which is al
Anna
Very funny and interesting. Who would have thought Victorian German beds would be so hard to master! After finishing the book, I was sorry to realise the period of history that was to follow and how English attitudes towards the German people would be damaged so severely.
Bill
Jul 09, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing
I laughed my way through most of it. Reminds me of Twain's travels. Perhaps a bit of Bryson thrown in. Nothing like a couple of Brit's set loose in Europe
Maz
Jan 05, 2015 Maz rated it liked it
The only problem with this book is that i read it after 'Three man in a boat', so most of the sarcastic tone were a deja vu.
Irina T
Feb 18, 2016 Irina T rated it it was amazing
Funny, witty and enriching. I loved it!
Wkwv
Nov 27, 2013 Wkwv rated it really liked it
Jerome K. Jerome has a special place in my reading life. I read "Three Men in a Boat" as a child, a teen, and again as an adult. I read it aloud to my kids. Back in the card catalog days, I couldn't find anything else that Jerome had written. Thanks to Project Gutenberg I have been able to find this little travelog. The humor is mock blustery, middle class, and Victorian male. The Pilgrimage in question is to well known German Passion Play and focuses more on the journey than the destination.
Shafaet Ashraf
Dec 29, 2013 Shafaet Ashraf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, funny
"থরি মযান ইন এ বোট" পড়ার পর থেকেই এই লেখকের অনযানয বই পড়ার ইচছা ছিলো। ডায়েরি অফ এ পিলগরিমেজ একটা ভরমণকাহিনী, লেখার ধরণ কিছুটা সৈয়দ মুজতবা আলীর কথা মনে করিয়ে দেয়, মজার সব ঘটনার সাথে সেই জারমান সমাজ নিয়ে অনেক কিছু জানা হয়ে গেলো বইটা পড়তে গিয়ে। জেরোম কে জেরোমের লেখার সবথেকে অনবদয দিক হলো এক মুহূরতে যেমন হাসাবে আবার ঠিক পরের মুহূরতে গুরুগমভীর কিছু কথা জীবন নিয়ে ভাবতে বাধয করবে। ...more
Poppy
Subtitle: Two Men and a Passion Play
Maria Holland
Apr 08, 2016 Maria Holland rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Jerome is a classic. This is similar to Three Men on a Bummel (also set in Germany) but they mainly travel by train. The short bit that actually concerned the play (and therefore pilgrimage) was moving, but the rest is just class Jerome - very sarcastic and insightful.
Kl
Jul 18, 2008 Kl rated it really liked it
I love Jerome K. Jerome. If you can't afford to go on vacation for yourself this is the next best thing. It was also a lot of fun to read prior to my own vacation. He goes through a lot of the same chaos on a train that I went through on a bus, but he did it with wit?
KL
Jul 18, 2008 KL rated it really liked it
Malcolm
Rather much in the same theme as Three Men on the Bummell but with less endearing characters. More episodic and tiresome in its constant criticism of late Nineteenth Century Germany
Charlie
Jul 10, 2012 Charlie rated it it was amazing
asdfghjkl;ok jhngfdszazdfxghjklt.klkjh
9in other words; complete and utter nonesense!
Carolin
Sep 23, 2012 Carolin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Amusing outsider view of Germany and the passion play
Георги
Feb 06, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, ebook
I do love Jerome!
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Gerayamuna
Gerayamuna marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Victoria Griffin
Victoria Griffin rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Natia Morbedadze
Natia Morbedadze marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Susan Standley
Susan Standley rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Pavel Naydenov
Pavel Naydenov rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Daniel Syrovátko
Daniel Syrovátko marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
  • Journals and Letters
  • Pictures from Italy
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • In the Land of Pain
  • Earwitness: Fifty Characters
  • Selected Writings
  • Sarah: The Life of Sarah Bernhardt
  • Jess
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • Erewhon Revisited (Erewhon , #2)
  • Sins of the Cities of the Plain
Jerome Klapka Jerome (May 2, 1859 – June 14, 1927) was an English author, best known for the humorous travelogue Three Men in a Boat.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_K...

More about Jerome K. Jerome...

“I often arrive at quite sensible ideas and judgements, on the spur of the moment. It is when I stop to think that I become foolish.” 21 likes