Start by marking “Some Die Eloquent” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Some Die Eloquent

Catherine Aird

Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)

As the doctor said, it's not so important what Miss Wansdyke died from as to whom she left a quarter of a million in pounds. Inspector Sloan agrees.
Paperback
Published June 1981 by Bantam Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Some Die Eloquent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Die Eloquent

Cindy
Mar 11, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries, blog
It wasn't so much how Beatrice Wansdyke died that was the trouble - it was what she had when she died. 250,000 - which I calculated to be worth $1.2 million today. So what was a quiet, elderly schoolteacher doing with that kind of money? Her lifestyle didn't reflect a taste for the good life. She lived in a modest home in a quiet suburb that the police describe in the most glowing terms - "no trouble, even on Saturday nights!"

So when the medical examiner finds a few suspicious indications, he in
Damaskcat
Jun 03, 2015 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone thinks Beatrice Wansdyke's death is suspicious and contacts the police. Sloan and Crosby are sent to investigate. Her GP had given a death certificate as he was satisfied she died from natural causes, and the post mortem confirms that she did but precisely why did she have a quarter of a million pounds in her bank account?

As Sloan and Crosby dig a but further it seems there is something suspicious about the death after all and her relatives come under suspicion with several of them havin
John
Feb 27, 2015 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very lightweight piece that I felt I ought to be enjoying far more than I was.

A middle-aged schoolteacher dies of, it's assumed, her diabetes, but then suspicions rise when it's discovered her dug has been killed and buried in the garden, her body has been deprived of insulin, and a quarter of a million pounds has recently been deposited in her bank account without, it seems, her knowledge. Sure enough, it emerges that she's been murdered, and Inspector Sloan must potter about among the heirs
Sheryl Tribble
This is one where I had the murder method figured out looooong before the detective; seemed glaringly obvious to me and I'm surprised Sloan and/or his M.E. didn't figure it out much earlier.

But I don't read these kinds of books to be mystified, so I enjoyed it anyhow. Sloan was distracted by the imminent birth of his child and there were plenty of other things I appreciated. I read mysteries because I like to watch likable characters wrestle with a puzzle, written in readable prose, and Catheri
Nancy Oakes
As this, the 8th installment opens, a schoolteacher has died, apparently of natural causes. So why are the police interested? It turns out that there is something along the order of a small fortune in her bank account that no one can account for. Sloan gets called into the case but is somewhat preoccupied with the imminent birth of his first child.

This one had a much better resolution than the last few; by that I mean that the denouement was not as sudden or abrupt, and you can really follow th
Katie Bee
Nicely twisty. I liked the subplot of Sloan being caught between his wife's impending labor and his need to focus on the murder case. His wife is excellently understanding (more than I would be!)
Kathleen
When you are waiting on the latest Laura Lippman to arrive by mail and the newest Anne Perry to come off the library hold list, it is nice to have classic Catherine Aird available to read. These rather old-fashioned British police procedurals are certainly a lot less complex than Ruth Rendell or Elizabeth George but they make good, quick reads with a nice little puzzle that you can usually solve. This one was no exception--though I am still puzzled as to the meaning or significance of the title. ...more
Rae
May 22, 2008 Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A former chemistry teacher is found dead of diabetes. The police are intrigued when they discover her estate of 250,000 pounds. How did she acquire so much money and was her death from natural causes as it seemed?
Margaret
Very enjoyable - one of the things I liked about it best was that the police were not even sure it was a murder for most of the book!
Katherine
Jul 31, 2011 Katherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Light fluff.
Wendy Theriault
Wendy Theriault marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Louise Smith
Louise Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
loisa
loisa added it
Sep 03, 2016
Diane Heath
Diane Heath marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Rene'
Rene' added it
Aug 25, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
joanne frueh
joanne frueh rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Mary Kay  Kare
Mary Kay Kare rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Mcmylander
Mcmylander rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Cybercrone
Cybercrone rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Christine Cody
Christine Cody rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Lela
Lela rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Susan Parrish
Susan Parrish marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Eli
Eli rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Marcia Schmit
Marcia Schmit marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • The Old Bank House
  • The Tamarind Seed
  • Gerald and Elizabeth
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • The Paris Plot (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6,5)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
92062
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire
More about Catherine Aird...

Inspector Sloan (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)