Messiah

Messiah

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Set from December 1999 to Mardi Gras 2000, Messiah introduces two remarkable young women: Felicity, a girl detective in New Orleans, and Andrea, a Sarajevan orphan who has found asylum in Jerusalem after internment in a Serbian POW camp. Felicity and Andrea, both presciently self-aware, come to believe they are the two severed halves of a whole entity, eventually finding e...more
Published February 19th 1999 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Messiah

Charlaralotte
Good lord! There are 33 pages of books with "The Messiah" in the title.

Anyway, seeing as my religious background is spotty at best, and relies heavily on Monty Python and Mel Brooks parodies, I enjoyed this book. Though I'm sure many evangelicals may have problems. Loved the nunnery/orphanage in Jerusalem, with its visiting religious scholars. Loved Andrea's character, and the dissection of her charisma.

At first I enjoyed Amelia and her "uncle," but once the plotting got hot and heavy, I became...more
Alan
Jul 02, 2012 Alan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Decadents and Millenarians
Recommended to Alan by: The man's own inimitable voice, and the Lions Club thrift store in Yachats, OR
Y2K.

Individual years don't often get their own abbreviations, especially not ones as stark as that, but the Year 2000 was a major milestone in many respects. It may be hard to believe now, especially for younger readers, but in the late 1990s, the looming rollover from 1999 to 2000 A.D., that odometer effect—when all the digits would change—had a lot of people worried. And with good reason, some of 'em; there really were some computer programs which, if they had been left uncorrected, would have...more
Enigel
I haven't finished it yet, but so far I'm enjoying it immensely. More irreverent than Good Omens, sexier than American Gods, more myth-ladden than Snow Crash and more New Orleans-ian than A Confederacy of Dunces.

While based on a whole mesh of myths and folk, from the oldest time to contemporaneity - the cyberspace plays a very important role - it feels fresh and original and bursting with vitality. The atmosphere is luxuriant and the style rich without being cloying.

Plans are afoot for an apocal...more
Daryl
This novel is organized in a traditional way, with two separate storylines in alternating chapters. Unfortunately, like most books in this style, one of the storylines (Felicity’s) is far more interesting than the other one (Andrea’s), so I found myself looking forward to those chapters, and just wanting to get through the others. When the two stories connect, about 2/3 of the way through the book, it becomes more and more odd, using characters from history, as well as religious/mystical/magical...more
Blair
I can't get over how the jacket picture nowhere near fit the image of Andrei I had in my head based on the essays he reads on NPR.
The story will twist your brain as to how you have perceived any versions of the rapture or the coming of a messiah... it is hard to swallow and yet very revealing on so many ways about perceptions in our current culture...
I also get the feeling he tries the Eco route of obscure sources of knowledge, and doesn't quite make it.
Years ago, Andrei was a great commentator on NPR, loved to listen to him. So when I see this book for a dollar - cannot refuse.

I should have. Possibly the worst book I've ever tried to read. And I did try, truly read the first half, then skimmed second half. Awful.
Frances
This started out good, but I didn't really like or I think even understand it. I'm not really sure what happened. I love alternate reality in books especially a good armegeddon book. I had high hopes for this, but I don't think it came through. Too bad.
Jerry
His essays trump his novels, but this one is quite engaging. Great ideas. Still, I kept thinking that I liked the movie Dogma better.
Andrea
It was hard to get through, but once I finished I could appreciate the story.
Lori S
This is the greatest book of all time!!!
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Mona Luca
Mona Luca marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Isaías Manuel
Isaías Manuel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Elena
Elena added it
May 22, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 30, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Andrei Codrescu is a Romanian-born American poet, novelist, essayist, screenwriter, and commentator for National Public Radio. He was Mac Curdy Distinguished Professor of English at Louisiana State University from 1984 until his retirement in 2009.
More about Andrei Codrescu...
The Blood Countess New Orleans, Mon Amour: Twenty Years of Writings from the City The Posthuman Dada Guide: Tzara & Lenin Play Chess (Public Square) Wakefield The Poetry Lesson