Eleven

Eleven

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Toldentirely in e-mails sent and received by Martin Davies, would-be author and frustrated corporate accountant, this debut novel is set on September 11, 2001, in Cardiff, Wales. In denial about his breakup with his girlfriend and baffled by the triviality of his life,Martingossips online at his desk and makes plans for the weekend until—just after his crowdof young profes...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Seren (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Eleven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleven

Matt Cresswell
Is the following a compliment? I started this book at 1am last night, after coming home from a night out, quite drunk, and waiting for a scouse interloped to go to sleep on the couch. I finished it when I woke up at ten o’clock this morning, hungover, and finished it. So the book is both a) short and b) quite suited to a strange world-lag of drunkenness and hangover.

Eleven is set in a Cardiff financial office, told in a series of emails between Martin Davies and various others, including a colle...more
Maxine
Readability: Pretty much the most readable thing ever - it's not a big book anyway, and it's made up entirely of e-mails which breaks it up into tiny little sections of text, so it's literally the easiest thing to read ever. I read it in one day - I started it on the short train ride to work, read for about half an hour on my lunch break, and was finished before I was even halfway into the train journey home. I think it's also incredibly readable if you have ever worked in an office, specificall...more
Judith
Although it has excellent reviews (and is probably written before them), I can't help but compare the novel to Matt Beaumont's 'E' and, to a lesser extent, Joshua Ferris' 'Then We Came to the End', as they all have some or all of the novel written via e-mail. If I'd read this first, I probably would've given it 3 stars, but the others are better (especially Ferris' novel.)
Nivi Engineer
This is a great modern take on the epistolary novel, composed entirely of email messages. It uses the backdrop of 9/11 to show a day in the life of Martin. It condemns modern society as it draws in the modern reader and makes you think.
Leslie
Aug 18, 2011 Leslie marked it as to-read
From the Guardian:
A compulsive read, written entirely in the form of emails sent by the characters over the course of one day. Martin and his friends work in the offices and call centres of Cardiff; and in its hilarious depiction of the grim hypocrisy of modern working life, Eleven is on a par with The Office. But Martin also writes a series of soul-searching emails to himself, which he then saves in Drafts, which form a moving contrast to the razor sharp comedy. Though it takes place on 9/11, m...more
Trashpalace
Breve romanzo interamente composto da messaggi e-mail.
11 settembre 2001: una giornata come tante in un ufficio come tanti. Tra amicizie, gelosie e resoconti delle avventure della sera prima, l'angoscia esistenziale del protagonista si riversa in una serie di e-mail mai inviate, mentre sullo sfondo si dipanano avvenimenti epocali ancora troppo sconcertanti per sembrare reali.
Amy
There's a whole genre of 9/11 fiction now...this one is pretty good. Still, nothing really compares to the book 102 Minutes, which is a nonfiction account of that morning. This book gives a view from "across the pond," showing how the events that day affected other people in other countries.
Peter
While it's a weird, funny and most of all disturbing story showing how and about what people communicate in our time of insteant e-mailing, I found that it is a bit overrated. Also, 9/11 doesn't really play a major role in it.
I quite liked the e-mails that were not sent, though.
Ben Cooke
An account of a man frustrated by his situation losing himself as the events of September 11th 2001 unfold but told via emails between him and colleagues in his dead end job. Really interesting way to tell a story and a very strong debut novel.
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Dewi
Dewi marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Thomas Larkin
Thomas Larkin marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Liannis
Liannis marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Stuart
Stuart marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Alex Parker
Alex Parker marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Xime
Xime marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Emme McNeely
Emme McNeely marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Camille Duthoit
Camille Duthoit marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Naree
Naree marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
David Llewellyn is a Welsh novelist and script writer. He grew up in Pontypool and graduated from Dartington College of Arts in 2000. His first novel, Eleven, was published by Seren Press in 2006. His second, Trace Memory, a spin-off from the BBC drama series Torchwood, was published in March 2008. Everything Is Sinister was published by Seren in May 2008. He has written two novels for the Doctor...more
More about David Llewellyn...
Doctor Who: Night of the Humans Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5) Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426 This World Our Hell Torchwood: Fallout