Start by marking “A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill, #1)

A Vicky Hill Exclusive! (Vicky Hill #1)

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Introducing Vicky Hill, a suffocatingly single reporter whose attempts at finding the right man and the scoop of a lifetime take a backseat to murder.

The debut of a brand new series set in the sleepy English town of Gipping-on- Plym features sweetly bumbling investigative journalist Vicky Hill, who will do anything to get that front-page story. But the unusual death of lo
Published March 4th 2008 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Vicky Hill Exclusive!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vicky Hill Exclusive!

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Cozy Mystery Series
403rd out of 584 books — 1,611 voters
Wood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseThe Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyOliver Twist by Charles DickensPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Fictional book titles that include names
319th out of 600 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheila
This is the first of the Vicky Hill series. I liked Vicky. She's spunky and has a Walter Mitty outlook on her investigative reporting. She's funny as she imagines the headlines for her front page scoops only to find out she's wrong on those scoops. As she tracks down who is murdering whom and why she gets into all kinds of scrapes. While I could not stand Annabel, I like that Vicky has a rival for that front page scoop. It makes it all the sweeter when Vicky can best Annabel. I want to know more ...more
April
Mar 28, 2008 April rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie Kinsella fans, people who find Carrie Bradshaw funny
Shelves: mystery, 2008
If you've read any of the Shopaholic books, you will recognize the title character of this book. She's extremely self-centered, jumps to the most outrageous conclusions, and is wrong 99% of the time.

But where I love Becky Bloomwood (at least, I love the original BB; she gets increasingly annoying with each new book), I don't have empathy for Vicky Hill. There was never a time when I didn't think, "Wow, YOU ARE STUPID."

I get that the author was trying to go for endearingly clumsy or humorously in
Dharia Scarab
Just couldn't get into this book, it wasn't at all what I expected when I picked it up. While not necessarily bad, I won't be reading anymore in this series.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I won't be reading any more from the au
Steph
Wasn't awful. Just too many characters. Also, too many theories that went nowhere and made the story confusing.
Mark Baker
Vicky Hill is trying to make a name for herself in journalism, but she's stuck in a small English village. Fortunately, she stumbles on a strange case involving a dead hedge jumper and chickens. Can she figure things out? The plot hooked me early and kept me going, which is a good thing considering how much I hated Vicky. She kept spinning wild theories that any sane person would dismiss. And her obsession with losing her virginity wasn't nearly as funny as it was supposed to be.

Read my full rev
Catherine
A Vicky Hill Exclusive! is the rollicking start to a contemporary cozy mystery series set in a small English village, replete with an eccentric cast of characters and an endearing amateur sleuth. There are many laugh out loud moments, and I must now come up to speed by reading the other three books: Scoop!, Exposé!, and Thieves!

Joan
I like the authors style of writing a few fun twists and a bit of mystery along with the normal drama that relationship bring.
Kathleen
Sorry, just a silly book with a very clueless Vicky Hill.
Jenny C.
Bonnie
This got one star because it was the lowest I could give and get this review box to pop up. Blurbs on back of the book called it "charming" and "something a present day Jane Austen might write"-ha! they must not have been reading the same book-it was about as charming as road kill and one of the few mystery books I stop reading before the end-only got to about page 70. The reporter in a small English town premise sounded promising but it was a washout.
Janet
This book irritated me. I wanted to slap the protagonist. She was supposed to be the child of a jewel thief who was familiar with police procedure, had experience with the criminal world, etc. Instead she seemed naive, was constantly creating wild scenarios out of no evidence, and checking out every man as a possible bed partner. I think the author was trying to create a humorous heroine, but I just found her annoying.
Lori
A gentle introduction into the zany life of novice reporter Vicky Hill, who lives in a small English town. Vicky isn't the best of amateur sleuths, as her inexperience often shows itself during her ideas. Entertaining secondary characters. The culprit in the novel isn't a surprise, but Vicky will get her exclusive!
Nancyk
This is a fast moving book, meaning the storyline really moves along. All Vicky cares about is the next big story, and she will go after it any way she can. She's a good girl but she doesn't trust anyone. I really liked this book alot. I just hope vicky slows down enough in future books to have a personal life too.
Mascanlon
I wasn't t sure as I started this if I liked it or not. A bit of a parody on many of the mystery/romance genres. In the end, I did. It was light hearted, a perfect read for relaxing and laughing. I look forward to meeting Vicki again.
Colleen
I found this to be extremely weird. I could not relate to the character at all, and found her thought processes to be beyond odd. It seemed to take forever to read. Thankfully, I didn't buy the book but got it from my public library.
Andrea Zanetti
Hannah Dennison did a masterful job with this book. Vicky Hill is fanciful and deluded, while at the same time savvy when it counts. I found this book wonderful entertaining to read.
Polomoche
Murder mystery written by a friend of mine set in Devon County, England. Very funny; a compelling protagonist and plot. I also built her website: http://www.hannahdennison.com
April
I dealt with it...it was funnier talking about it in company than actually reading it! I probably won't run to the shelves to grab another...but it wasn't horrible!
Mary  (Biblophile)
Average cozy mystery. The heroine was more than a little ditzy and sometimes unbelievably nieve (sp), but the whole idea worked. Rather comical. Quick, fast read.
Kim
Ugh. Picked up based on review later book in series but couldn't finish. Wide eyed naivete to the point of arrested development, not to mention sick making.
I didn't finish. Just didn't hold my interest. I made it almost half way through, but the characters didn't seem promising, nor the plot.
Candace Wegner
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. I found the main character, who narrates her own story, tedious. Disappointed.
Micki
Mar 26, 2008 Micki rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This was a cute mystery but sometimes the main character really got on my nerves for being so stupid.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was plain fun to read. A good mystery with excellent character development. You begin routing for Vicki!
Julie
A good start to a series. The main character can't do anything right but solves the mystery anyway.
Kate Carlisle
I looooove Vicky Hill, and this was a fantastic introduction to a new series. Love, love, love!
Nancy
Too wordy. Probably not bad if you're in the mood. I read 8 chapters.
Dana
Laugh out loud funny! Can't wait for the next in the series!!!
Jacqueline Vick
Walter Mitty meets Lucille Ball.
Nicole
fantastic cozy mystery series
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • You Might As Well Die (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #2)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1)
  • Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • The Probability of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #2)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
  • Death al Dente (Food Lovers' Village Mystery, #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
Hannah is the author of the Honeychurch Hall Mysteries and the Vicky Hill Mysteries, both set in Devon, England. She has been an obituary reporter, antique dealer, private jet flight attendant and Hollywood story analyst. Hannah originally moved to Los Angeles from England to pursue screenwriting and now lives in Portland, Oregon. She continues to teach mystery writing at the UCLA Extension Writer ...more
More about Hannah Dennison...

Vicky Hill (4 books)
  • Scoop! ((Vicky Hill, #2)
  • Expose! (Vicky Hill, #3)
  • Thieves! (Vicky Hill, #4)
Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1) Scoop! ((Vicky Hill, #2) Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2) Expose! (Vicky Hill, #3) Thieves! (Vicky Hill, #4)