Start by marking “Miss Spider's ABC (David Kirk's Sunny Patch Library)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Miss Spider's ABC

David Kirk

Miss Spider's ABC (Miss Spider)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  49 reviews
She gave a tea party. She got married. Then she bought a new car. Now Miss Spider prepares for her birthday party in a story that takes readers through each letter of the alphabet. Featuring his trademark brilliantly colored illustrations, David Kirk takes fans on a new round of Miss Spider magic!
Board book, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Miss Spider's ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Spider's ABC

Audrey
Miss Spiders ABC was extremely helpful with the alphabet but also learning more about insects. Kids can keep listening and learn about bug life with each letter they can discover a beautiful butterfly of praying mantas that is titled with it. The beautiful images that are drawn to describe the insects and emphasize the beginning of the letters are very helpful and simple to understand. The book is a story and can be fun with your imagination of all the bugs that are beautiful around you and next ...more
Kelsie
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great way to learn the ABC's while learning about different kinds of bugs. What makes this book even more fun for young kids is that it is based off of a TV show, and soo if they know the TV show they will recognize the characters and love the relationship between this book and the show that they know. The pictures were great, and even though it went through the ABC's, it told a great story.
Megan Dorcas
I chose this book because it looked like a really fun way for kids to learn about the abc's. I really like this book because not only does it introduce each letter if the alphabet, but it also teaches about different bugs. It includes bugs like bees, and spiders, but it also includes more rare bugs that most adults have not even heard of!
Ashley Hilton
This is a beautifully illustrated children's alphabet book. There are many reasons why I think this is a great book for children. First of all the characters in this book are also in a cartoon. When kids see characters from their favorite cartoons they tend to get excited, so this is a wonderful way to get children excited about reading. The bright colors will draw kids to pick this book up. Maybe next time the child gets a chance to watch T.V. they will just stop and think that they might rathe ...more
Ashley Whiteley
Miss Spider books are the best! They even have great TV shows based off of these books. You learn so much and the pictures are colorful and fun. I enjoyed reading this book to my little brother. He was always so interested! He seriously loved it. It is a very simple, quick, and fun read.
Sierra
My story time kids LOVE Miss Spider! This was fun, except there were a few bugs that I had never even heard of in there!

-A Simple Taste for Reading
Kathryn Brewer
Miss Spider's ABCs is a great story to use when working on the alphabet in the classroom. Also the illustrations are fantastic! The students will love the bright colors on each page and I think the bugs will be intriguing to the kids.
I like the illustrations & the way the Alphabet follows a story line instead of just being random like most alphabet books. My 3 year old niece approves as well ;)
Kellie
The colorful illustrations are quite eye-catching, and my kids love the story. The only thing that I didn't like was the ornate letters were sometimes difficult for them to identify. Simpler letters would be better.
Kayleena Nielson
I love the alliteration in this book! Not only that, but it teaches the ABCs and introduces many different types of bugs. The artwork is adorable.
Garrett Ellis
A fun A B C book, the colorful illustrations and story line would be sure to keep the class interested! A definite read aloud book!
Paige Voecks
This book is one of my favorite childrens ABC books made. All of Miss Spiders friends are throwing her a surprise birthday party, each page shows a letter of the alphabet and then shows an animal or insect whose name starts with that letter of the alphabet that will be invited to Miss Spiders surprise party. I really enjoy this book for students and young children because not only is it teaching them the order the letters go in the alphabet but it is showing them an animal or insect that they ca ...more
Jason Stalides
Learning about different kinds of bugs, reinforcing the alphabet, and expanding vocabulary. I approve.
Ashley Stone
This book is about insects and flowers anxiously waiting for the arrival of Miss Spider for her surprise birthday party. Every page is filled with colorful pictures that are named with an alphabet letter. I cannot express how amazing the pictures in this book are. They are so vivid and expressive and I have never seen colors as bold as these. I think the illustrator did a great job. This book works out well for preschoolers because they’ll be learning their alphabet in school and this goes along ...more
Bernadette Diodati
I haven't read this in forever! But I remember great things about it!
Audrey Evans
Language features: Alphabet, alliteration
Alex Bemis
I love all the Miss Spider books. These are great for children who are beginning to read and learn the alphabet.
Melissa Urban
Themes: Alphabet, Birthdays, Getting ready, Insects

An alphabet of bugs in the garden get ready for Miss Spider’s surprise birthday party.

Ideas for use: Can be used with young children to introduce the letters of the alphabet, this story could be used as an introduction to a unit on insects, Students could use the book as a model text to write their own ABC story with animals or a specific theme
Amanda Funnell
alphabet

All bug-related words with nouns and verbs paired together
Katey
CIP/Summary: Miss Spider prepares for her birthday party in a story that takes readers through each letter of the alphabet.

David Kirk's story and illustrations are a fun take on the ABCs of party planning. Kirk's rich illustrations draw the reader in and show a lovlely and gentle side of insects ready to celebrate.

Favorably reiewed in SLJ and Booklist.
Besides the fact that the pictures are vivid, large and beautiful, this is a great book for associating letters with words. The words used are also combined with descriptions that are great for vocabulary building. The book is told all through differnt bugs going through the alphabet, and the bugs are not scary and creepy, but pretty and soft.
Susan
Jan 04, 2008 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: miss spider fans, glowing art, fun abcs
Shelves: picture-books-jp
I love the neon gloriousness of Miss Spider's world. If only real bugs were this much fun. And I mean, come on, how can you not love O is for "owlflies ogle" and E is for "earthworms entertain" (of course they do). At the end, a party for the delightful Miss Spider. 'Nuff said.
Cara Farmer
This is a great introduction into the Miss. Spider series. I loved those books when I was growing up. It was a fun way to introduce bugs and new vocabulary into the classroom. The colorful pictures bring the story to life. This would be fantastic in a preschool or kindergarten classroom.
Kassidy
This book goes through the English alphabet with the names of different bugs and plants. The bugs are all getting ready to throw a surprise birthday party for Miss Spider. The fun thing about this book is that it has a lot of alliteration in it.
Adam
great drawings, but that's about all i like about this book. one of the first books Katherine liked though.
And now it's also one of Victor's favorite books. There must be something magical about this book that attracts babies.
'Stacey

Read this with my niece.
Although I found the illustrations beautiful, I do think that the choice of colors did not hold a 2 year olds attention long. She became bored and did not want to finish the book.
Brandin
Genre: Picture book/ABC

Topic/Theme: Alphabet

Grade Level: K-1

Classroom Use: Read aloud, independent reading

Comments: Good ABC book with great illustrations that catch readers eye.
Shannon Jackson
This is a wonderful book about ABC's. David Kirk's illustrations are vivid and consume the whole page with color. His text is poetic (eg, termites tunnel underneath very vivid violets. Beautiful book!
Karen
This is a cute way of reviewing the ABCs with young kids though the concepts are a little above their heads at times (Gabe hadn't a clue what "Fireflies fandango" meant). The last page allows for a fun ending.
Jeanette Rakestraw
This hard book helps to develope a childs basic language skills and the alphabet. The pages are colorful and has lots of alliteration throughout. No extention activity needed for this story.
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Growing Vegetable Soup
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet In Spanish And English
  • Froggy Goes to Bed
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
David Kirk is the creator of children's books that follow the character Miss Spider. Before writing books, he made colorful toys that were sold in hand-painted boxes. He was urged to write children's books when his toys caught the interest of a book packager. It wasn't difficult to figure out what he would use as characters in his stories: his daughter, Violet, had a liking for bugs.
More about David Kirk...
Miss Spider's Tea Party Miss Spider's Wedding Little Miss Spider Miss Spider's New Car Oh So Tiny Bunny