Start by marking “The Portland Edge: Challenges And Successes In Growing Communities” as Want to Read:
The Portland Edge: Challenges And Successes In Growing Communities

The Portland Edge: Challenges And Successes In Growing Communities

Portland, Oregon, is often cited as one of the most livable cities in the United States and a model for smart growth. At the same time, critics deride it as a victim of heavy-handed planning and point to its skyrocketing housing costs as a clear sign of good intentions gone awry. Which side is right? Does Portland deserve the accolades it has received, or has hype overshad ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Island Press

To ask other readers questions about The Portland Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portland Edge

Jun 07, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very, very informative on Portland's strong history of urban planning and community activism. Almost too much so. The topics were more varied than I thought, encompassing everything from the urban growth boundary and transportation planning to the origins of KBOO (Portland community radio) and Portland's approach to homeless populations.

The issue I have with the book is impartiality. The back cover implies that it will take a critical look at Portland's policies to see how they mea
Smiley McGrouchpants
The Portland Edge takes us where (most) lay readers seldom dare to go: directly into the facts and figures, the terms and names, of the planners and plans of the City of Roses over the past 3-5 decades (more cogently) and century-and-a-half since the city's founding (with no small amount of astuteness, with regard to fundamental, formative trends and their making).

Got that?

Portland, OR is, thus, a model city in many ways: one that took the "right-hand path" during the rather-dire national-trauma
OK. So it took me a lot longer to finish this book than I anticipated. The Portland Edge, a collection of chapters by Portland-area urban planners about Portland’s famed… urban planning, isn’t exactly a quick read. Still, I’m glad I read it. I know a lot more now about Portland’s history and the forces that shaped its growth, and it is good background information for understanding some of the current conflicts shaping the city’s politics.
Evan Corey
Oct 03, 2009 Evan Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good and comprehensive primer on Portland's growth, culture, politics, urban planning and governance. It is also a great way for planners everywhere to think towards a progressive future. Read this!
Aug 19, 2008 Rickie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful read when it comes to learning about Portland's planning history, although not as informative as it could be. Some of these essays simply reiterate what has been written in scholarly articles elsewhere but some of it is new.
Tracy J. Prince
Jun 20, 2011 Tracy J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Lisa rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2011