Start by marking “The Healers” as Want to Read:
The Healers

The Healers

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Fiction. African Studies. THE HEALERS tells a story of the conflict and regeneration focused on replacing toxic ignorance with the healing knowledge of African unity.
Published January 1st 2000 by Per Ankh (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Healers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healers

Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieA Man of the People by Chinua AchebeAncestor Stones by Aminatta FornaAnthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe
History through Novels: West Africa
12th out of 36 books — 25 voters
Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeSeason of Migration to the North by Tayeb SalihNo Longer at Ease by Chinua AchebeDisgrace by J.M. CoetzeeArrows of Rain by Okey Ndibe
African Writers Series
9th out of 201 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

africawrites  - The RAS' annual festival of African Literature
Apart from Things Fall Apart - The Healers - is probably one of the boldest attempts in African Literature to re-imagine the African past with a vividness and directness that speaks to contemporary African lives. A book of impressive depth and characterisation, it depicts Ghanaian/Ashanti civilization at a moment of confrontation with Europeans encroaching on their independence, and its exploration of
slavery within African society, and as practiced by Europeans is one of the most vivid, relevan
Dora Okeyo
So far I like Densu and I am keen to know who killed Appia (the Prince and heir to the throne). All evidence leads to Abbabio and before I judge him, I'd want to know why Densu, though a prince, does not want royalty but only seeks to be a healer and how Damfo would help him.
My fears turned out to be true and that Abbabio in his quest for power and control actually made sure that the people turned against Densu, but he did have people who helped him-and here the writer employs the Hero archetype
Chakera Mcintosh
One of my all time favorites, a poignant book that deserves to be read again and again because it shows in a subtle way the complexities of leadership. Vision isn't enough, outside circumstances often have more impact than we imagine and organisation is the key in the face of division.
Johnbedward
Armah is one of those rare literary writers who combines the historical with African characters who are trying to redeem the continent from its historical and current problems. I consider this text part of a trilogy ("KMT: in the house of life" and "Two Thousand Seasons") and if I may add "The beautiful ones are not yet born". All these books cover the impact of internal irresponsibility (i.e., African caste system, social slavery and tribal violence) and external forces (i.e., slave trade, colo ...more
Aryam Tewolde
he is a good story teller.
Shinuna Said
Its is a great insight into african way of life where traditional livelihood living in unity is harshly fragmented. This is portrayed by the injustice where the lead character, Densu, wants to leave the world of manipulation and deception. He finds refuge in a healer, who is his mentor in many ways.

Good versus evil, manipulation versus inspiration, creativity versus destruction and unity versus dis-unity is the main theme in the Healers. It was a school literature book but reread it many times!
Andrew
Set in pre-colonial Africa, this story raises the spectre of conflict within society which has all too often preceded and aided foreign invasions.

I read this book some years ago and it has remained my favourite novel by Ayi Kwei Armah. This is an excellent tale full of lessons which are just as relevant in the 21st Century.
Anna
See my video book review in The Collagist: http://www.dzancbooks.org/the-collagi... It is the third part in my series on African literature.

In short: Ayi Kwei Armah is a most fantastically underrated author. This is a novel told by a true storyteller.
Jami
this book is very good, the detail and imagery are amazing. although it takes place in pre/colonialized (yet after white men have arrived) africa, the lessons and parables still ring very true to us today. i can't put it down... better review once i have completed the book in entirety.
Tswarelo
Aug 31, 2008 Tswarelo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who have not read it
Recommended to Tswarelo by: Blak Phar i
The True history of our land. our people. part of it perhaps. the existance of the healers and the art of healing. it brought me closer to who i truly am. what it is i would love to make my vocation as a being and that is being a healer. and a scribe. the healing scribe.
Ifasola Oguntunde
This book is an allegorical manual of the role of the traditional indigenous priest in West African society. The bonus is the setting: Nana Armah shows us how slavery and colonialism cracked the infrastructure of our traditional culture as well. A primer for any Afrocentricist.
Nana Fredua-Agyeman
This novel follows the footsteps of The Healers. It shows the path that will lead to Africa's redemption.

Click on the link below to read my review on my blog.

thanks
Pcoopmom
Pcoopmom marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Tracie
Tracie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Jeetendra
Jeetendra marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Remy1226
Remy1226 marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Amethyst55
Amethyst55 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Benja
Benja marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Amedine
Amedine marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Ravinder
Ravinder marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Blessing Ananti
Blessing Ananti marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Itzhak Goldberg
Itzhak Goldberg marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Mbithe
Mbithe marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Joram
Joram marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Arrows of Rain
  • The Invention of Africa: Gnosis, Philosophy, and the Order of Knowledge
  • A Man of the People
  • A Question of Power
Born to Fante-speaking parents, with his father's side Armah descending from a royal family in the Ga tribe in the port city of Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana, [1] Armah, having attended the renowned Achimota School, left Ghana in 1959 to attend Groton School in Groton, MA. After graduating, he entered Harvard University, receiving a degree in sociology. Armah then moved to Algeria and worked as a transl ...more
More about Ayi Kwei Armah...
The Beautyful Ones Are Not Yet Born Two Thousand Seasons Fragments (African Writers Series) Kmt: In The House Of Life Why are we so Blest?