Start by marking “My Best Friend and My Man” as Want to Read:
My Best Friend and My Man

My Best Friend and My Man

The things women will do–to men and to each other–in search of love

Veron Darcey is a twentysomething African American woman who wants it all: a successful career, an upwardly mobile life, and a loving, attentive man. But the last few men Veron has been with have either added her to their five-woman rotation or relegated her to the dreaded “just friends” zone.

After one part
Published June 3rd 2008 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Best Friend and My Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Best Friend and My Man

Eva Leger
Jul 26, 2008 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Keyona
Recommended to Eva by: myself
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
I liked this enough to read Cydney Rax's other books that I've heard about but there were a few problems I had with it. I loved the characters so much- Demetria made me so angry so much of the time but I felt sorry for her also. Veron and Seaphes just seemed so confused and it was fun watching them find themselves throughout the story. I loved Mike's character also, he was a nice addition to the story I thought. I didn't like how a lot of the conversations and situations seemed to far fetched. A ...more
Angie
Jun 29, 2010 Angie rated it it was ok
Uugh. The ONLY way this book earned a second star from me was the fact that I felt strongly enough about one of the characters having such a...well...terrible character. Other than that, the writing was juvenile, the scenes were disjointed and the characters were not true to their nature even or the length of a chapter. They fluctuated so much even within a single conversation that I couldn't tell if the same character being described, or if a new one joined the scene.

Aside from the atrocious wr
Tracy
Jun 28, 2010 Tracy rated it it was ok
This book is frustating. Does Vernon have to be so dumb??? I'm hoping she gets a clue soon; otherwise Demetria should have Seaphes...UGH!!!!
Catrice Gilbert
Mar 05, 2012 Catrice Gilbert rated it it was amazing
I love when I am reading a book and my emotions tie into the book like I'm a character. I must've said Aw Heyall Nah about a thousand times! Loved it!
K.augustine
This book started off slow and was really hard for me to get into. It finally got interesting around the middle but it just hit a plateau and never became GREAT. I was disappointed to say the least. I can't believe Vernon ridiculously thought Demetria was her REAL friend. Vernon is far from stupid so I take it she is a glutton for punishment. I wouldn't recommend anyone spend their money on this like I foolishly did.
MavLit Publishing
Dec 14, 2008 MavLit Publishing rated it really liked it
One has to be a true writer at heart to understand and appreciate Ms. Rax's style. I'm aware that some did not find this work exciting or compelling, but she connects with readers who have ordinary lives and not searching for something that's not realistic.
Valerie
Different kind of story...I liked it.It had a little strange way that the characters all fit together, but I did enjoy the audio version.
I saw all the iffy reviews, but I'm glad that I stuck with it.
Kellee
Jul 19, 2008 Kellee rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: not-all-that
I'm not sure if this book was boring or if I was just preoccupied while reading this, but it was so annoying, boring and I just couldn't get into it. It never was a page turner!! I wasted 2 weeks...Yes that's how long it took me to read this!!
Lezlie (Nancy)
Aug 20, 2010 Lezlie (Nancy) rated it did not like it
Okay so I tried to read this book, but for some strange reason I could not get into it so I did not finish this book, sorry. Just could not get into this one at all.
Tammy Thomas
Dec 04, 2012 Tammy Thomas rated it did not like it
Shelves: audible
Horrible with a capital H!!!
Damika
Jan 03, 2009 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Hot and imaginative!
Tanisha
Jul 15, 2012 Tanisha is currently reading it
I'm gonna see how this goes.... I read My Husband's Girlfriend and Enjoyed it.
Lolo
Lolo rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Demetrist Wallace
Demetrist Wallace rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Stacee
Stacee rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
-;'MrSz.MyRiAh';-
-;'MrSz.MyRiAh';- rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Simone Kelly
Simone Kelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2017
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2013
Teresa Jones
Teresa Jones rated it liked it
May 27, 2014
Tongela
Tongela rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Steph
Steph rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2009
Ashleycody5
Ashleycody5 rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2010
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2009
Laura Perry
Laura Perry rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2010
Cicely
Cicely rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2009
Abegail N
Abegail N rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Asia Price
Asia Price rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
  • The Ex-Wife
  • The Streets Keep Calling
  • Slick
  • Gather Together in My Name
Basically I became interested in becoming a writer after reading Terry McMillan’s novel Disappearing Acts. In 2004 my author dreams were realized via the release of my controversial debut novel My Daughter’s Boyfriend, the story of a 34-year old single mother that becomes attracted to her teenage daughter’s boyfriend.

My first ever series is soon to be on the shelves: If Your Wife Only Knew (Dec.
More about Cydney Rax...