Start by marking “The Philosophy Files” as Want to Read:
The Philosophy Files

The Philosophy Files

The author turns his aptitude for communicating complex ideas to excellent use in this guide to philosophy. Interspersed with Daniel Postgate's lively cartoons, 'The Philosophy Files' is an enjoyable introduction to the subject of philosophy.
Published April 1st 2005 by Orion Children's Books (first published May 4th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Philosophy Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosophy Files

This was quite a nice book to read. Usually when people think of philosophy: Mindfuck and heavy reading comes to mind, but this was a pleasant change.

Stephen Law has managed to think of 7 'files' each with a different statement, in each file there are debates and arguments supporting and opposing each of the claims. What I liked about the books was that the author explained everything in a down to earth way, in the way that a teenager/child would be more likely to understand whilst still mainta
Oct 20, 2013 Nat rated it it was amazing
I read this ten years ago and bought it out of random because I decided I wanted to start reading more again.

It was the first book that introduced me to philosophy, but in a fun and easy way. From this book I learnt what "existentialism" means, and I still remember one chapters examining the question of how we know we exist. It suggested that just maybe we think we exist only because some Martian created some machine that projects our lives onto a screen and we see things from that "screen" and
Its a really easy written book. I think even younger teens and older kids could understand it without bigger problems. Among others the author explains for example some of platons theories. Sometimes I felt like Im by myselfe a small child again. ...more
Robert C.
Feb 24, 2016 Robert C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder who's idea it was to put a pig on the cover of this book and to make the background a virulent, fluorescent green. Presumably they wanted to make the book attractive to kids? Not sure. I'm not a kid, so the reasoning and the experience kind of went over my head.

However ... this is the finest introduction to philosophy that I have ever read. It's extremely easy to understand, and it comes with little cartoon pictures just in case you need a break from all those wordy words.

I imagine that
Feb 18, 2015 Toby rated it really liked it
Flicking through this now it seems a little basic but this book was a real turning point for me as an inquisitive teenager. A beginners guide to philosophy but also an introduction to the methodologies of philosophical thought and debate.
Sep 09, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing
I bought this several years ago when I was much younger and I loved it back then and I still love it today. Philosophical problems explained rather easily so that everyone can understand them. I like it.
Geoff Ball
Feb 13, 2014 Geoff Ball rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers looking for an introduction to philosophy.
Shelves: philosophy
This is a decent book for youth looking for an introduction to philosophy. I bought it 8 years ago, and finally took it off the shelf to read. It was easy to get through, which I eventually realized was due to the book's target audience (published by Orion Children's Books). Everything was easy to get through and the author made a slight attempt to show all sides to the arguments, although his biases were very apparent.

Had I known this book aimed at a young audience, I never would have bought or
Oct 02, 2015 Mosy rated it really liked it
واقعا یکی از بهترین کتاب ها برای ورود به دنیای فلسفه است.
Sep 13, 2016 Jazyjazban rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
[Start date incorrect]
Dec 04, 2007 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book about the main questions of philosophy and about life.
It is a great introduction, especially for children on the verge to teenage, but also suitable for adults who are new to the subject.
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
A very accessible book allowing a good insight into philosophy which allows you to really get thinking about things.
Gavin Cooper
Sep 01, 2009 Gavin Cooper rated it really liked it
The book that got me into philosopy. Very accessible intro to the basics of philosophy.
Oct 13, 2013 Adiesha rated it it was amazing
Its an awesome book where the reader starts to step to a analytical world
Aug 06, 2011 Renée rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting perspectives! really makes you ponder ... = )
Jul 26, 2013 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
An excellent place to start learning Philosophy.
Jen rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Lucy marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Nadine Higgins
Nadine Higgins rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Ant rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Morrillo marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Hannah Edge
Hannah Edge rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2016
Sam rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
David Cushman
David Cushman rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Simonida rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Mina Wael
Mina Wael marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
H Bakir
H Bakir rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Amy added it
Jun 25, 2016
Renee rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
  • Philosophy for Kids: 40 Fun Questions That Help You Wonder...about Everything!
  • Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences
  • Kaas en de evolutietheorie
  • Fittstim
  • Big Girls Don't Cry
  • Nemi - Vol. 2 (Nemi, #2)
  • Psychology: Core Concepts
  • Maslow on Management
  • The Essential Arithmetricks (Murderous Maths, #3)
  • This is not a book
  • The Art Question
  • Kun enkelit katsovat muualle
  • Dumbo (Little Golden Book)
  • What Is Good?
  • Madventures – Kansainvälisen seikkailijan opas
  • Consumer Behavior And Marketing Strategy
  • Introduction to Logic
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless
Stephen Law is a philosopher who teaches at Heythrop College in the University of London. He also edits the journal THINK, a source of philosophy aimed at the general public, affiliated with The Royal Institute of Philosophy.
More about Stephen Law...